mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So apparently, their last interview day is tomorrow. But admissions told me that if we are on hold, we can still be considered for an interview mid-April like our portal says. I guess that means if they like us enough in April, they will open up a new slot? :shrug:

mycosis

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
NYS residents can often be put on medicaid if they are a full time student
Source: Me. My parents are on Medicare and I am 23.
YES. please don't buy the private health insurance if you are an adult and not earning more than ~$24K a year (different income guidelines for families of >1), and you're ok with being on Medicaid!
Medicaid and essential plans are free or very, very low-cost, and will cover everything you need. Apply online at New York State of Health whenever you terminate your school/ job/ parent's health insurance plan (you might have to get on Medicaid before classes start though, in order to provide verification of insurance for the bursar). PM me if you have questions! I do insurance enrollments as part of my job ;)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018
YES. please don't buy the private health insurance if you are an adult and not earning more than ~$24K a year (different income guidelines for families of >1), and you're ok with being on Medicaid!
Medicaid and essential plans are free or very, very low-cost, and will cover everything you need. Apply online at New York State of Health whenever you terminate your school/ job/ parent's health insurance plan (you might have to get on Medicaid before classes start though, in order to provide verification of insurance for the bursar). PM me if you have questions! I do insurance enrollments as part of my job ;)
This is only applicable to NY residents correct?

Jan 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
This is only applicable to NY residents correct?
Getting on medicaid is applicable for all US citizens. But it goes by state. So if you are already established with a NY residency you can go through NYS, otherwise, I think you need to get established with a NY residence first before you can apply. Not sure how long you need to be a state resident to apply, I would look into it, some simple searching should yield you some answers.

Reactions: mycosis
Apr 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Getting on medicaid is applicable for all US citizens. But it goes by state. So if you are already established with a NY residency you can go through NYS, otherwise, I think you need to get established with a NY residence first before you can apply. Not sure how long you need to be a state resident to apply, I would look into it, some simple searching should yield you some answers.
It's just 1 year to be a NYS resident

Jun 10, 2018
I've been trying to contact NYMC to ask a question but the number leads me nowhere lol. Can anyone provide me a number that might get me to their admissions office please? :)

Jan 9, 2019
I've been trying to contact NYMC to ask a question but the number leads me nowhere lol. Can anyone provide me a number that might get me to their admissions office please? :)
The number that they gave us was 914 594 4507

On an unrelated note, I was at the March 26th interview session. They said it was the last round of interviews that they will be giving out. Very excited about the school.

Jun 10, 2018
The number that they gave us was 914 594 4507

On an unrelated note, I was at the March 26th interview session. They said it was the last round of interviews that they will be giving out. Very excited about the school.
Welp my question was answered haha, just wanted to know how many more interviews were left.

Jan 4, 2019
I'm flying into LGA for second look day next Thursday morning and trying to figure out the best way to get from LGA airport to NYMC. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm flying into LGA for second look day next Thursday morning and trying to figure out the best way to get from LGA airport to NYMC. Does anyone have any suggestions?
When i flew into LGA for my interview, i just took a Lyft. It was convenient and took me only 35 min to get to Valhalla and my hotel

Reactions: im783 and 21Rush12

slaveofthehealer

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I was recently interviewed at NYMC and wanted to send a thank you letter. I was planning on sending them a combined thank you/update letter. I have been working as a door dash driver during my gap year but I have also continued my community service and clinical volunteering. Is it okay if I mention that I engaged in a non-clinical job and I used my extra time during gap year to do things that I did not have time to do during college such as reading? Also, should I mention that I plan on traveling this summer to learn about different cultures. @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I was recently interviewed at NYMC and wanted to send a thank you letter. I was planning on sending them a combined thank you/update letter. I have been working as a door dash driver during my gap year but I have also continued my community service and clinical volunteering. Is it okay if I mention that I engaged in a non-clinical job and I used my extra time during gap year to do things that I did not have time to do during college such as reading? Also, should I mention that I plan on traveling this summer to learn about different cultures. @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM
If I were them, I would presume that you sent this to all the schools where you have been waitlisted. The content would have little effect on decision-making. If they accept updates and it makes you feel better, though...

Reactions: LizzyM

slaveofthehealer

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I understand. I guess what I really meant to ask was, do they look down upon candidates who work non-medially related jobs during their gap year?

Apr 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't recommend the door dash driver at all. I think a thank you letter is appropriate although. But if you are sending a thank you letter weeks after you interview, it might seem disingenuous (Instead of sending it days after). At this late stage I assume they are being flooded with emails from people so unless you have something important to add to your application I wouldn't send anything. It's up to you although.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Don't waste their time or yours.

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I think if you have a meaningful update then send it by all means. They are particularly receptive to post-interview updates but make it relevant and brief.

slaveofthehealer

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The only reason I want to send this is bc I was talking about my volunteer experiences during the interview and one of the interviewers thought that I had not been working during my gap year and she was shocked. I want to make sure that they don't think that I didn't work after graduating from college.

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
The only reason I want to send this is bc I was talking about my volunteer experiences during the interview and one of the interviewers thought that I had not been working during my gap year and she was shocked. I want to make sure that they don't think that I didn't work after graduating from college.
I’m not an expert but this will likely not matter whatsoever.

Clinical experience, research, meaningful professional accomplishments (clinical work related) etc. are what make a contribution to the app most of the time. If you want to write something to show interest that’s fine, I just don’t want you to worry unnecessarily about this

slaveofthehealer

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m not an expert but this will likely not matter whatsoever.

Clinical experience, research, meaningful professional accomplishments (clinical work related) etc. are what make a contribution to the app most of the time. If you want to write something to show interest that’s fine, I just don’t want you to worry unnecessarily about this
Got it. Thank you.

Nov 13, 2018
Status
i'm a little confused with this on-hold thing in my portal. Been on here for a while and it says that we'll be reviewed in mid-April but when are they going to schedule this last batch of interviews? From the thread it seems they've finished already so I'm little confused about them creating whole new interview days

Reactions: Moose97
Apr 23, 2018
Status
No matter what happens with admissions for me just wanted to say @21Rush12 thanks so much for being a fantastic resource. You are one of if not the most helpful medical student I’ve seen on their school’s respective SDN thread.

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Should an update on prerequisite grades be sent if they weren’t available at time of application? I have already sent a recent update that did not include grades, would it be annoying to send another update?

Mashallah
Were at that stage where if you have it send it, can’t hurt and any substance that could help IMO send it along.

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
No matter what happens with admissions for me just wanted to say @21Rush12 thanks so much for being a fantastic resource. You are one of if not the most helpful medical student I’ve seen on their school’s respective SDN thread.
Thank you for your kind words! I just want to pay it forward. I went through the Med school app process essentially alone and the only reason I’m where I am today is all the help I got here.

I remember all too well how it felt being in your shoes as an applicant and I want to help alleviate some of the unknowns and stress as much as I can.

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for your advice. Should it be sent as an unofficial transcript attached to a letter? Or just list the grades in a letter?
I think unofficial transcript attached with a brief email explaining what/why you’re sending it should be good.

Apr 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey 21RUSH12. Any tips on what we should do before we get to NYMC? About to quit my job and have some time off for a break

Schwifty

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Apr 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Pre-II R today, placed on pre-II hold back in September, good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: premedalt

mercyandgrace

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Reactions: 2018Premed