2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the tutition is really a huge thing to think about!! So much money. Also the diversity on the accepted students page is questionable.still really love the school but I’m having hesitations. My interview groups had an alright level of diversity but didn’t notice a single Hispanic on the accepted students page and only 2 black students... again there could be other students not on fb but the URM population is weak compared to my other schools. 3/155 or something

Interesting. May be it doesn’t have to adhere to specific guidelines like other schools since it’s private and doesn’t receive public funds? I could be wrong

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t call it messed up...maybe they admit people strictly based on merit and their previous commitment to the Oakland U community.

Yes but If the students got an interview then they are obviously qualified. And think it’s time people get over themselves and stop equating URM acceptances to affirmative action. EVERYONE that is accepted to medical school is qualified or else they wouldn’t have been interviewed. I’m talking about post interview acceptances. I’m saying it’s messed up that institutions can choose to remain homogeneous instead of trying to make their student population representative of our society. That’s not a wild concept.

Saying “the school isn’t diverse because they only accept qualified students” is naive and inherently prejudice. It relies on the assumption that diverse groups of people or i.e URM are as a whole not qualified. Just as not every URM is qualified, not every white or Asian student is qualified. We are all in agreement that it is based on merit and achievement.

All in all, it shouldn’t have to be explained that the statement above comes off as a microaggression and it is disappointing that people on this platform still use it to pertuate ideas and rhetoric that do harm to those that, in the future will be your colleagues and or bosses in the medical field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yes but If the students got an interview then they are obviously qualified. And think it’s time people get over themselves and stop equating URM acceptances to affirmative action. EVERYONE that is accepted to medical school is qualified or else they wouldn’t have been interviewed. I’m talking about post interview acceptances. I’m saying it’s messed up that institutions can choose to remain homogeneous instead of trying to make their student population representative of our society. That’s not a wild concept.

Saying “the school isn’t diverse because they only accept qualified students” is naive and inherently prejudice. It relies on the assumption that diverse groups of people or i.e URM are as a whole not qualified. Just as not every URM is qualified, not every white or Asian student is qualified. We are all in agreement that it is based on merit and achievement.

All in all, it shouldn’t have to be explained that the statement above comes off as a microaggression and it is disappointing that people on this platform still use it to pertuate ideas and rhetoric that do harm to those that, in the future will be your colleagues and or bosses in the medical field.

Check out the 2018 Oakland Beaumont Match List. The school values and is rich in diversity ...one of the many reasons so many apply there.

Reactions: 1 user

The Class of 2022 (for reference) is incredibly diverse, and it is also important to remember that diversity comes from more than just the color of someone's skin or physical appearance. What I mean is that just because you see a lot of "white" or "Asian" students, doesn't mean there isn't significant individual diversity within that class based on background, culture, religion, personal experiences, etc. Additionally, getting a medical school interview doesn't mean you are totally "qualified". It means your numbers and extracurriculars meet the mark, but now you need to demonstrate that you match the values and philosophies of the school based on your interview. It is this criteria that ultimately decides whether or not an acceptance is extended, not if the school has accepted "enough" of each race/ethnicity/culture/etc.

Reactions: 4 users
The Class of 2022 (for reference) is incredibly diverse, and it is also important to remember that diversity comes from more than just the color of someone's skin or physical appearance. What I mean is that just because you see a lot of "white" or "Asian" students, doesn't mean there isn't significant individual diversity within that class based on background, culture, religion, personal experiences, etc. Additionally, getting a medical school interview doesn't mean you are totally "qualified". It means your numbers and extracurriculars meet the mark, but now you need to demonstrate that you match the values and philosophies of the school based on your interview. It is this criteria that ultimately decides whether or not an acceptance is extended, not if the school has accepted "enough" of each race/ethnicity/culture/etc.

Of course diversity is more than just the color of ones skin. No one is denying this fact. I was referring to diversity in terms of the demographic makeup of our society and continuous racial disproportion in the medical field. It is not representative at all...hence... URM. All in all to each their own. I think this topic has been exhausted on SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
first tier, so historically all of us get accepted from what i understand? so excited!!!

Reactions: 3 users
first tier. So excited!!

the tutition is really a huge thing to think about!! So much money. Also the diversity on the accepted students page is questionable.still really love the school but I’m having hesitations. My interview groups had an alright level of diversity but didn’t notice a single Hispanic on the accepted students page and only 2 black students... again there could be other students not on fb but the URM population is weak compared to my other schools. 3/155 or something

HI! I can't speak for the incoming class as I haven't met many of them yet, but I am a Latina here at OUWB. There as about 6 in my class (M2) and another 6 in the M1 that I know. As for black students, there are 4 in my class, and at least 5 in the M1 class. So we do exist! And I know my school is actively trying to recruit more URM because they do value diversity (pretty sure we accept quite a bit from conversations with administrators that I have, but often URM students will go elsewhere for their own personal reasons). Also my class has a large number of Asian, Arab, and other Middle Eastern students.

As for tuition, it might seem a lot for in-state students, however it is relatively average cost for a private medical school across the US, and cheaper than the public in-state schools for an out-of-state student like myself. That loan fee isn't by OUWB, but is a fee for taking federal loans from the loan companies regardless of what university you are at. OUWB is just factoring that into the COA so that it is accounted for and isn't a surprise.

Feel free to message me if you (or anyone else) have more questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
with every line i read i felt more depressed lmao

Hi, OUWB student here, as Second Look is approaching, a few things I wanna add:

Just want to add, they are doing you guys favor for overestimating so that you can take out more than what you need (see it as a higher borrow cap). If they underestimate the cost and when you need more for any emergency, you might not have any more left to borrow. You have the option to return what you think you won't need 2 weeks after you receive the FA check. To me, OUWB's FA office is the most transparent and helpful med school FA office. I know they even have a very good payment plan with no interest for those who pay in full as well.

Also note: COA around OUWB is extremely affordable! Everyone loves how cheap the rent here is. Do not do on-campus housing. Reach out to current med students on your class FB page and tell us what apartment complex you are looking at so that we can help you with how to get the application in, etc.

In term of diversity, DM me for more details. I think some of us minority do see it as an issue but we know they are working on it.

Lastly, the best way to learn about the school is through current students so if possible, if you are going for Second Look, definitely sign up for student host so you can talk to us and get the real answers.

Hi, OUWB student here, as Second Look is approaching, a few things I wanna add:

Just want to add, they are doing you guys favor for overestimating so that you can take out more than what you need (see it as a higher borrow cap). If they underestimate the cost and when you need more for any emergency, you might not have any more left to borrow. You have the option to return what you think you won't need 2 weeks after you receive the FA check. To me, OUWB's FA office is the most transparent and helpful med school FA office. I know they even have a very good payment plan with no interest for those who pay in full as well.

Also note: COA around OUWB is extremely affordable! Everyone loves how cheap the rent here is. Do not do on-campus housing. Reach out to current med students on your class FB page and tell us what apartment complex you are looking at so that we can help you with how to get the application in, etc.

In term of diversity, DM me for more details. I think some of us minority do see it as an issue but we know they are working on it.

Lastly, the best way to learn about the school is through current students so if possible, if you are going for Second Look, definitely sign up for student host so you can talk to us and get the real answers.
What is a 'good' monthly apartment rent price to shoot for for the area?

What is a 'good' monthly apartment rent price to shoot for for the area?

• Luxury apt complex right across the street from the school: ~1500/month for 2 Bed2Bath, utilities around $150/month, there are also options for 3bed2bath at around 1.6-1.7k/month I think but those run out quickly.
  • Other apt complexes a little further (5-7 mins drive): Can be as low as $1400/month for 3Bed2bath, utilities around the same.
  • If you choose to live in Pontiac, it can be $700 for a 2 bed (from what I remember) but Pontiac is a little sketchy. Some of our classmates live there can tell you more.

As far as a "survival guide," there is something like that on the admitted students' Facebook page!

Can any current students post the technical specs of the OUWB Macbooks? Like which model, hard drive size, etc. Wondering if I should get another laptop as a "full time" laptop or not. Thanks!

Would anyone be able to say what a typical schedule might be like for M1s? I am considering renting a furnished room to save some money, but I would be about 17 minutes east of the school. Would this be advisable or would folks recommend just renting an apartment within walking distance and paying ~$300/month more?

Would anyone be able to say what a typical schedule might be like for M1s? I am considering renting a furnished room to save some money, but I would be about 17 minutes east of the school. Would this be advisable or would folks recommend just renting an apartment within walking distance and paying ~$300/month more?
Current M1 here. No one really walks to campus here, all of us have a car. Typically we start classes around 8am and if you want decent parking, get to school around 730 (yes, I like to park right by ODowd because I don't like to walk in the cold! But it's not too bad to find spots 5mins away). We're usually done around 3-4 but that varies. The luxury of staying nearby is for tutoring/going in for anatomy and such, it's not that bad of a drive. However, this hugely depends on where you like to study. Some people get to school around 6am and leave after 9pm as they get most of the things done at school. So it doesn't matter how close they live to school as they don't travel back and fourth much. Another thing is during winter traveling can add extra time. But tons of current M1s live a bit further from school.
I like to study at home, so living really close to school makes it easier for me to go back to school in the evenings/nights. But this is a personal preference. Let me know if you have any other ques :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Current M1 here. No one really walks to campus here, all of us have a car. Typically we start classes around 8am and if you want decent parking, get to school around 730. We're usually done around 3-4 but that varies. The luxury of staying nearby is for tutoring/going in for anatomy and such, it's not that bad of a drive. However, this hugely depends on where you like to study. Some people get to school around 6am and leave after 9pm as they get most of the things done at school. So it doesn't matter how close they live to school as they don't travel back and fourth much. Another thing is during winter traveling can add extra time. But tons of current M1s live a bit further from school.
I like to study at home, so living really close to school makes it easier for me to go back to school in the evenings/nights. But this is a personal preference. Let me know if you have any other ques :)
Super helpful, thank you so much!! I really appreciate it :)

Super helpful, thank you so much!! I really appreciate it :)

I must say tho, living close to campus does have its benefit. Sometimes when parking is tough and we have some early mandatory sessions and/or we wake up late, we can walk to school and not have to worry about parking. Those occasions are rare! All of us drive even when we live across campus.

There is also traffic in the area since a few companies are located here so you could factor that into account for the drive, how much do you wanna deal with the traffic.

Honestly that is up to you and your preferences. Depending on whether or not you decide to go to class, our classes usually start at 8am and then end anywhere from 11am to 5 pm (depends on the day, whether there's lab, what else is going on, what student orgs you're involved in, etc). I think you could easily commute the 17 minutes if you are okay with commuting. I have some classmates that commute 45 minutes every day. Also, parking issues are exaggerated here. Yes, after a certain time it will be hard to find a spot directly outside of O'Dowd, but its never more than a 5-6 minute walk from any other parking lot. I park at 7:50am everyday and am never late.

What I suggest if you do choose to live further is that on the days when there is a mandatory 8 am, I would budget more time to get to class to ensure you're not late due to traffic or because people forgot how to drive in the snow, etc. Also, if class gets out by 3:30 pm, you'll be fine with traffic getting home. If class lets out closer to 5pm, maybe consider staying on campus a little longer and studying there for a few hours.

However, one thing I do like about living closer is that you are typically closer to your friends and there are affordable places around campus for ~ $500 a month with roommates. Post on the all students page as M2 are about to vacate their apartments and might be able to refer you to a place within your budget.

And in regards to buying furniture, you'll be there for at least 4 years and Royal Oak doesn't have many furnished places to my knowledge. So, if the only reason you're living further is to not buy furniture, beware that you might need to purchase it for M3 and M4 year when you move closer to the hospital.

Does anyone know what the dress code for second look weekend is?

Does anyone think it would be of any benefit to send a LOI while being on the first tier of the waitlist?

Does anyone know what the dress code for second look weekend is?

The news letter said “business casual” which is extremely broad. I generally interpret it as no jeans, graphic tees or obvious sneakers but anything else should fly haha

Anyone know if need or merit based scholarships are still going out?

For those who are going to the second look day, can please update us on how it went! I'm from california and unfortunately could not make it to the second look day :/

Anyone know if need or merit based scholarships are still going out?

Managed to listen in on what I believe was the Financial Aid Q&A. Scholarships can be offered up until the first few weeks of school, there wasn't really a set timeline. To my understanding it's based on some people declining acceptance offers. One of my friends got a nice scholarship the week of orientation!

Can any current or prospective student, if possible, explain how exactly students are chosen from the first tier? I feel like I might be getting my hopes up without really understanding how the process works. Thanks much in advance!

Can any current or prospective student, if possible, explain how exactly students are chosen from the first tier? I feel like I might be getting my hopes up without really understanding how the process works. Thanks much in advance!

My understanding is as spots become available, the committee will meet periodically and discuss the applicants on the first tier waitlist. Once they come to a consensus, they will offer spots. This will occur continuously as movement occurs until all spots are filled for the incoming class in August. If enough movement occurs this cycle, then they will draw from the second tier etc. So how much movement there is I can't say, but I know I have a good friend from my class that was waitlisted (not sure which tier though) and later got accepted ~May. In terms of what they are looking for, I assume is the same complicated process as they did for your general application. This is complete speculation, but I'd guess that they give each applicant a "score" based on the multi-variable holistic review they do and then those with higher "scores" will be offered first within a tier. But tbh I really don't know and its probably more complicated than that.

But in general, just stay optimistic because there is movement every year!

Also to those that end up not getting an acceptance to OUWB or any other schools, please try to stay positive. I have multiple friends that reapplied and now are in medical school and crushing it. So just because it doesn't go your way this year, you shouldn't forfeit this dream because you are worthy of it. And don't listen to the people who only doubt you, make you doubt yourself, and honestly half the people on SDN. Many of these people are insecure and like to make others feel worse about their applications just to bring themselves up. But they don't know you and your experiences. I applied late in August/September (fyi- I do not advise b/c of rolling admin and also the undue stress of doing that) and if I would have listened to people I wouldn't be an M2 currently.

Do they accept everyone on the first tier and then move on to the second tier? Or do they pick most from first tier (not all) before moving on to second tier?

Do they accept everyone on the first tier and then move on to the second tier? Or do they pick most from first tier (not all) before moving on to second tier?

My understanding is first tier waitlist is first exhausted, then they move on to second tier. Their goal with the tiers is to be more transparent with the likelihood of you later receiving an offer.

My understanding is first tier waitlist is first exhausted, then they move on to second tier. Their goal with the tiers is to be more transparent with the likelihood of you later receiving an offer.

Going back to last years thread it seems like they did not exhaust the first tier before moving on to the Second. But there was a lot of movement towards the end of April begining of May.

Going back to last years thread it seems like they did not exhaust the first tier before moving on to the Second. But there was a lot of movement towards the end of April begining of May.

Yeah, I read last year’s thread and it seemed like a few people from the first tier didn’t get accepted.. I wonder if it’ll be the same this year too

For anyone who went to the financial aid meeting, when do loans start needing to be taken out in order to pay for the upcoming semester/year?

lol Ik I've asked this before, but does anyone know approxxxx how many people on the FB page are NOT students of the 2023 class?

The group from class of 2022 has over 200 people but they also only have approx the same class size at ~125 I’m assuming?

it wouldn't be correct to compare the two because the older class most definitely had more members that left once they withdrew.

I am trying to get an idea of how many must withdraw first before waitlist offers go out.

Ahhh I see what you mean.. I have no idea then. I’m trying to be hopeful but I don’t wanna be too hopeful if that makes sense lol

My understanding is as spots become available, the committee will meet periodically and discuss the applicants on the first tier waitlist. Once they come to a consensus, they will offer spots. This will occur continuously as movement occurs until all spots are filled for the incoming class in August. If enough movement occurs this cycle, then they will draw from the second tier etc. So how much movement there is I can't say, but I know I have a good friend from my class that was waitlisted (not sure which tier though) and later got accepted ~May. In terms of what they are looking for, I assume is the same complicated process as they did for your general application. This is complete speculation, but I'd guess that they give each applicant a "score" based on the multi-variable holistic review they do and then those with higher "scores" will be offered first within a tier. But tbh I really don't know and its probably more complicated than that.

But in general, just stay optimistic because there is movement every year!

Also to those that end up not getting an acceptance to OUWB or any other schools, please try to stay positive. I have multiple friends that reapplied and now are in medical school and crushing it. So just because it doesn't go your way this year, you shouldn't forfeit this dream because you are worthy of it. And don't listen to the people who only doubt you, make you doubt yourself, and honestly half the people on SDN. Many of these people are insecure and like to make others feel worse about their applications just to bring themselves up. But they don't know you and your experiences. I applied late in August/September (fyi- I do not advise b/c of rolling admin and also the undue stress of doing that) and if I would have listened to people I wouldn't be an M2 currently.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response, your encouraging words mean a lot during this stressful time!:)

Does anyone know how many full-tuition scholarships OUWB typically awards per class? Or how many half-tuition?

Does anyone know how many full-tuition scholarships OUWB typically awards per class? Or how many half-tuition?
I can't find the link anymore, but they did have a YouTube video which showed how many full/half tuition scholarships they gave about 3(?) years ago. I think it was around 14 full?

Regarding the embark research, any advice on how difficult it was to find a mentor/Professor for the project or any other embark related struggles? I’m trying to be mentally prepared for the start of M1.

For anatomy lab, do we need to wear scrubs? If so, do we have to purchase our own? Thanks for the help y'all.

Regarding the embark research, any advice on how difficult it was to find a mentor/Professor for the project or any other embark related struggles? I’m trying to be mentally prepared for the start of M1.

It wasn't that hard to find a mentor. There are a couple of events where a bunch of mentors came and we had the opportunity to ask mentors about their projects. Definitely don't have to do anything before school starts so don't stress!

For anatomy lab, do we need to wear scrubs? If so, do we have to purchase our own? Thanks for the help y'all.

Scrubs aren't required, but a lot of us did wear them just to keep our normal clothes clean (and yes we purchased our own-- don't need anything fancy I bought like a $10 pair online). They will provide clean yellow gowns each week to go over your clothes/scrubs that you have to wear while in lab.

Can a current 3rd or 4th yr student please post the current M3 rotation tracks. I couldn't find them on the OU website.

Anyone think they will be sending out more scholarships before April 30th? My decision to attend is going to be heavily impacted by whether or not they offer me money. I really don’t want to let go of my offer on April 30th but 80k a year is SO HIGH