2018-2019 Temple University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ready to submit my secondary, but wondering if anybody else only had 1-2 sentences for the "What are your plans for the current year - June 2018 until June 2019?" question. Over the next year, I plan to simply continue working full-time in the medical field to save money for applications, travel, and future medical school expenses. Does that sound bland? I honestly don't have much else to say (except maybe the obvious of spending time with family and friends before med school starts)
That doesn't sound bland at all. I would just have a couple sentences including where you work and your job title. If it's a new experience not in your primary, maybe elaborate a little bit. I don't think it is suppose to be a grand, all-included essay though.

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't sound bland at all. I would just have a couple sentences including where you work and your job title. If it's a new experience not in your primary, maybe elaborate a little bit. I don't think it is suppose to be a grand, all-included essay though.

Not a new experience, but thanks!

Sent an ITA about a week ago through email. Are they receptive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth adding this school now with a 503 and 508 MCATs? OOS applicant here with 3.85 GPA
Seems like everyone just decided to avoid your post. I would say you can give it a shot. Temple sends out secondaries really quick, so just complete by September 3rd (Labor day) and you’ll be fine in terms of application timeline.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for people who have interviewed...what time were you done with the mandatory activities? I have a flight at 4:40pm out of PHL and am wondering if I will make it/should take the risk or if it would be wise to pay the change fee now and fly later. Thank you!!

Question for people who have interviewed...what time were you done with the mandatory activities? I have a flight at 4:40pm out of PHL and am wondering if I will make it/should take the risk or if it would be wise to pay the change fee now and fly later. Thank you!!
It really varies depending on when your interviews are. Last cycle, I had both of mine back to back first thing in the morning. I was done interviews by lunchtime. The lunch and tour takes about two hours, so all mandatory activities are done by 2 pm Some people in my cohort had interviews at 2:30 pm. You won't know until you get your agenda on interview day. That being said, I'm sure if you e-mail or call admissions, they could work something out. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
II today at 3am!

But in a bit of an issue if anyone can offer advice. I sent an ITA area early last week because I have in II in Pittsburgh on 10/2, so the dates Temple provided me were for that week (appreciate the accommodation!) However within that time frame I received an II for my instate school and could only schedule it the friday (10/5) of the same week. I would rather not reschedule as they gave me 3 dates and I could only do this one.

Should I email Temple to get new dates? My other option is to attend my interview 10/2, attend Temple on 10/3, and then fly out that night or the next morning, but i feel like this will just drain all my energy for interviews

II today at 3am!

But in a bit of an issue if anyone can offer advice. I sent an ITA area early last week because I have in II in Pittsburgh on 10/2, so the dates Temple provided me were for that week (appreciate the accommodation!) However within that time frame I received an II for my instate school and could only schedule it the friday (10/5) of the same week. I would rather not reschedule as they gave me 3 dates and I could only do this one.

Should I email Temple to get new dates? My other option is to attend my interview 10/2, attend Temple on 10/3, and then fly out that night or the next morning, but i feel like this will just drain all my energy for interviews

If you explain the situation they probably will be accommodating. When I was scheduling my interview yesterday they only had up until the first week of October as available, so maybe they just need to open up later dates. Also, Pittsburgh isn't really that close to Philly even though it's in PA. It is about a 5 hour drive (6 hour megabus is an option), but I'd guess you would need to fly given the timing. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to bounce around between all those interviews considering the amount of travel required.

If you explain the situation they probably will be accommodating. When I was scheduling my interview yesterday they only had up until the first week of October as available, so maybe they just need to open up later dates. Also, Pittsburgh isn't really that close to Philly even though it's in PA. It is about a 5 hour drive (6 hour megabus is an option), but I'd guess you would need to fly given the timing. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to bounce around between all those interviews considering the amount of travel required.
Thanks for the response! Ok yeah I didn’t realize how exactly far apart they were...I think I’d be more stressed about making it on time. I just feel like it makes me look bad asking for another accommodation but I guess I have to ask anyways!

Thanks for the response! Ok yeah I didn’t realize how exactly far apart they were...I think I’d be more stressed about making it on time. I just feel like it makes me look bad asking for another accommodation but I guess I have to ask anyways!
Congrats on your II’s! Can I ask how you structured your ITA email, did you just ask them to review your application sooner than they would otherwise?

Congrats on your II’s! Can I ask how you structured your ITA email, did you just ask them to review your application sooner than they would otherwise?

Basically just said if I was being considered for application review, to have my interview scheduled in that same week. And then added like "I am aware that not all applicants will receive an interview invite, but I would be extremely appreciative for any accommodation possible"

What is ITA? Sorry, hopefully not a dumb question lol.

Also, I just got a complete email after submitting maybe just over a month ago. Any ideas why? CASPer scores maybe?

In the area

Oh is that so you can schedule interviews for schools in the same area around the same time? (Although I'm guessing you wouldn't tell schools that you have an interview with another school, but are rather in the area...I get it)

Oh is that so you can schedule interviews for schools in the same area around the same time? (Although I'm guessing you wouldn't tell schools that you have an interview with another school, but are rather in the area...I get it)
It’s to let schools know that if they plan on potentially interviewing you, they can help you save travel money by interviewing while you’re there. You don’t have to tell them why you’re in the area. Just have to let them know that you are around

Does anyone know how far out Temple is scheduling interviews now?

It means that the interview date was about a month from the date someone received an II. So if they received an II in mid-September, their interview date was around mid-October
Makes sense but I don't think that's what the other guy was asking for so I was confused for a sec

So I should NOT be worried that ive been complete since mid-july and still havent heard back?

Has anyone interviewed here yet? I'm wondering what it's like and if anyone has tips as i'm interviewing next week . Thanks!

It took a few hours for my portal to be updated with the interview schedule tab (received II at 3 AM, not able to schedule it until 8:30 AM for some reason). There will be a "Interview Schedule" tab underneath the "Next Steps" box
Im on the TUportal and there's not even a Next Steps box :/
Is this going to pop up later as well?

I got the II at 2am today too! SO excited

complete mid August

worthwhile sending an in the area email?

Howwww did you guys schedule an interview? Mine is showing up as every date available.. anyone else have this prob?

Howwww did you guys schedule an interview? Mine is showing up as every date available.. anyone else have this prob?
Same for me, I tried clicking all the dates in November/December and none of them were available

Edit: only scheduling through mid-October atm

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I realize I'm a little late to post for most of you, but hopefully this may help some people. I saw a few questions in this thread that have not gotten answered so I will try to answer some of them. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I am an M1 at Temple, in the St. Luke's regional campus. The difference between the campuses is primarily just where they are. Main campus is in North Philly while St. Luke's is in Bethlehem. So students in the St. Luke's regional campus will spend year 1 in Philly with everyone else, then years 2-4 in Bethlehem. There were a few things that drove me to choose St. Luke's over main campus (since I am still in year 1 I haven't experienced all of these yet but these were what I gathered.)
1. The class size is significantly reduced. Main campus will have 150-180 students while St. Luke's caps at 30. This allows for you to have more hands on experience during workshops, rotations, etc.
2. The lectures in year 2 are taught almost entirely by practicing or retired MDs. For this reason, the classes are much more clinically focused. At main campus, many of the lectures are given by PhDs, who might put a focus on other aspects of the material.
3. All of your rotations are done at St. Luke's. You will never have to move out of your apartment/house to travel for a rotation, and you will never have to learn the ins and outs of a new hospital. You can also get very close to the residents and attendings. I've been told that if you are interested in a field, the docs might text you to say they are doing something really interesting and you should run over to watch/help.
4. Bethlehem is a beautiful city, with some really cool things to do. With that in mind, it is not anywhere near Philadelphia. It is much smaller, quieter, calmer, and has far fewer people. This is more personal preference, I am not much of a city person myself.

Those were my main reasons, and some of them may be drawbacks for you. Some drawbacks for me are the lack of many opportunities that you have in Philadelphia. There is quite a bit more to do in Philly at Main Campus, including clubs, research, shadowing opps, etc. Also you will have to find a place in Philly for your first year, then leave all your newly made friends to go to Bethlehem in the second year. There will also be times when you will have to drive to Bethlehem in your first year, which is just over an hour drive, but still may be inconvenient for some.

Some people were mentioning what Temple's focus is, as every school has to pick what they will prioritize. Someone mentioned research, and I would have to disagree. The school certainly does have research opportunities that you can get involved in, but there is not a huge emphasis on research in my opinion. In my opinion the two main focuses at Temple are Doctor-Patient interaction and City Pride. For the entirety of the first two years, you will be enrolled in a class called Doctoring, in which you learn how to be a doctor. Sounds strange, right? It is actually one of my favorite parts of the curriculum. The classes ranges from how to take a history, how to talk to adolescents who have a helicopter parent, how to calm down/ talk to angry patients, etc. All of these things are not things you might initially think of needing to know, but they are amazingly helpful. These classes are typically a brief lecture with an accompanying workshop. Most of these will be with a standardized patient, in which you will get to actually do the things talked about for that week. You will be in the simulation center within your first week and the SPs will help guide and refine your techniques throughout the year. Temple grads are renowned for their ability to effectively communicate and work with patients.The other major thing is what I have dubbed city pride. Temple loves Philadelphia and everything in it, and the school really aims to make it a better place. From community service (yes students are required) to inviting members of the community into the school for certain events, Temple really aims to be a part of the community in any way they can. You should watch Temple's newest advertisement to get the idea (Experience Philadelphia through Temple University.) This is also true for the St. Luke's campus and Bethlehem.

Anyway I hope this is helpful for some of you. I hope most of you have already submitted your secondaries already, but if not don't count yourself out yet. Just get them in as soon as possible. Good luck to everyone and let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Reactions: 9 users
Before I shoot an email, anyone who has interviewed know if they allow you to store luggage (just a carryon)?

has anyone gotten an II for the St Luke's Bethlehem campus yet?

Canceled my interview and withdrew app- best of luck everyone, hoping one of you gets this additional spot!

Reactions: 1 users
Canceled my interview and withdrew app- best of luck everyone, hoping one of you gets this additional spot!
Just curious as to why you decided to cancel before October 15. I saw in several other forums that you canceled other interviews. If its very personal I apologize- just curious if it was related to the quality of the schools. Thanks

Just curious as to why you decided to cancel before October 15. I saw in several other forums that you canceled other interviews. If its very personal I apologize- just curious if it was related to the quality of the schools. Thanks
I'll PM you!