2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).
  2. The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code (3500 character maximum).
  3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).
  4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.
Interview Feedback: Texas A & M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Under Review as of today. Strange, considering my LOR Packet hasnt been submitted, and CASper hasnt been marked as "true" on the portal. Dates below

Primary Submitted: 5/18
Transmitted: 5/24
Secondary Submitted: 5/23
CASper Taken: 5/15
Results delivered per CASper site: 5/31

Members don't see this ad :)
Under Review as of today. Strange, considering my LOR Packet hasnt been submitted, and CASper hasnt been marked as "true" on the portal. Dates below

Also Under Review despite missing CASper. Everything else is in though :)

If you are a reapplicant, do you need to create a new account to submit a secondary for this cycle? Or is there a way to start a new secondary under your old user name?

If you are a reapplicant, do you need to create a new account to submit a secondary for this cycle? Or is there a way to start a new secondary under your old user name?
Use your old one. I ran into this exact problem and had my fee posted on one account and the actual app on a different one. Just use the forgot username/password link if you need it. You’ll be able to start a new secondary once you sign in.

Also under review, took the same CASper and mine says "true" as of today!

Interesting, I took CASPer June 3 and mine also says true. Allll the boxes donee

I also took CASPer on June 3; everything on the checklist is marked "true" and I've been under review for ~a week now. I thought it took a few weeks to send CASPer results, but the "true" showed up when I checked the portal a day later.

Kinda odd that A&M is the only school so far to explicitly ask about scribe experience and hours. Not that I'm complaining, though. :D

Out of curiosity, how would everyone here rank a&m’s med school compared to other Texas schools such as tech, long, and utmb?

Above UTSW and just slightly above McGovern. I do need to read up on their new curriculum though! Mcgovern’s actually my number 2 Texas school, 4th overall. But real talk, all the schools are my number one right now lol. It would be a DREEEEEEAMM to get multiple interviews/acceptances. A freaking dream. But yes, in my ideal world, it’d be A&M at number one on my myspace top 8.
Above utsw and uth too? Have you heard anything about their new curriculum?
Wait i think I’m confused, A&M’s new curriculum, or McGovern’s/UTSW’s?

To the former, yes, that’s why I love it. To the latter, I didn’t know about it so hence the I need to read up part, lol.

For me personally McGovern > UTSW > Dell > UTSA > TAMU. Not saying this is how I think they should be ranked, just my personal preferences. Note this is pre-interview, anything could change

Members don't see this ad :)
Im surprised a lot of y’all have utsw so low. Is something fishy going on up there at utsw?

Im surprised a lot of y’all have utsw so low. Is something fishy going on up there at utsw?

Nah, I’m pretty sure its just us Houston folks wanting to stay in Houston. While I would take McGovern > UTSW, I’m surprised @treesnm3s would take UTMB over it

GAHHH! Thought I had sent in my secondary but when I checked it today and apparently I had only paid for it!! Well not it is sent in. Let's hope for the best

Sup fam,

Current M4 here at A&M - studying on the Dallas campus. On a pretty light rotation so let me know if you have any questions about the school/curriculum and such. Our class was the first to do the 18 month deal here.

Sup fam,

Current M4 here at A&M - studying on the Dallas campus. On a pretty light rotation so let me know if you have any questions about the school/curriculum and such. Our class was the first to do the 18 month deal here.
What's the word on where clinical rotations will be starting next year?

@wysdoc
To my knowledge our main campuses will remain to be split between BCS, Dallas, Houston and Temple. At some point in the first semester the incoming M1s will undergo a selection process for campuses - where they can prioritize the locations they want and give reasons for and against. It's a pretty fair process that takes a whole bunch of things in account including family, relationships, hometown, and other special circumstances. Each of the campuses has their own strengths and weaknesses that I'm sure someone will ask about at some point.

In addition to these campuses - A&M has been focusing on engaging additional clinical opportunities for classes. And to my knowledge most of these are in effect now (and even available to us) or will be very shortly. These include the Darnall Army Medical Center in Fort Hood and Joint Base San Antonio (Brooke Amy medical center I believe). There's tons of elective time built into the curriculum so these work pretty well - with on base housing.

Reactions: 1 users
Round Rock is also an option. They’ve told upcoming M2s that we will be going in the spring semester like Houston campus does.

Last edited:
Round Rock is also an option. They’ve told upcoming M2s that we will be going in the spring semester like Houston campus does.
thanks - I had heard Round Rock was probably being phased out, but maybe not until the rotations at the military locations are set up and organized.

Interesting to hear that, would all students be allowed to do that? Would they preference their HPSP candidates?

Interesting to hear that, would all students be allowed to do that? Would they preference their HPSP candidates?

Nah, all of these opportunities are open to everyone, assuming the elective has room the month you want to do it. Plus at some point, schedules become staggered depending on your core rotation timing so it's easier to schedule.

For those who are under review, has your materials’ table (the one with the “true” marks) disappeared? 99.9% sure it means absolutely nothing, but just curious.

For those who are under review, has your materials’ table (the one with the “true” marks) disappeared? 99.9% sure it means absolutely nothing, but just curious.

yeah mine disappeared but probably means nothing lol

Table is still there for mine (trying to think it doesn't mean anything but failing)

I am probably just being neurotic, but the only "true" boxes on my table are secondary app + fee. My primary was transmitted on 5/29 and I took CASPer on 6/3, the CASPer site says results were delivered. Any reason to worry or should I just let it be? I've gotten the "we received your primary" from other Texas schools so if there's an issue it would be on A&M's end. I only submitted the secondary recently (later than I would have liked) but I don't see why that would affect the other parts.

I am probably just being neurotic, but the only "true" boxes on my table are secondary app + fee. My primary was transmitted on 5/29 and I took CASPer on 6/3, the CASPer site says results were delivered. Any reason to worry or should I just let it be? I've gotten the "we received your primary" from other Texas schools so if there's an issue it would be on A&M's end. I only submitted the secondary recently (later than I would have liked) but I don't see why that would affect the other parts.

The primary took 18 days for mine to update, around 2 weeks for my secondary+ fee. You are probably okay

Chill out. "later than I would have liked" lol, submitting your secondary anytime in July is still early. Take a breather.

Is anyone here applying to A&M's new EnMed program? They do not give a character/word limit for the questions on the supplementary application so I'm not sure how long to make my responses.

I have a question...so I haven't taken the CASper exam yet I had just signed up to take it in July but the box for CASper Score says "true"...should I be worried? or does it just say when you sign up for it... :eyebrow:

Yeah. Weird that it is not part of the secondary, but it was an easy form.

I have a question...so I haven't taken the CASper exam yet I had just signed up to take it in July but the box for CASper Score says "true"...should I be worried? or does it just say when you sign up for it... :eyebrow:
Mine only said true after my score was sent. I think it's strange how yours says true before you've taken the test. Maybe call them and ask?

I emailed them and they said that when I register for the test, they receive my test date information and mark it as "true" even though they don't have the score yet. Idk why they would do that...confusing

Ok now the table disappeared when I checked my portal today. (Thinking of that part in Nightmare Before Christmas when Jack goes "but what does it mean!?")

Yeah. Weird that it is not part of the secondary, but it was an easy form.
Could you tell me about this form suiture? Also, how long between when your primary was transmitted to A&M and they actually contacted you? I had mine transmitted on the 15th, but from A&M's end? Nothing but crickets. I am about to submit the secondary anyway.

It is just a form about criminal history. You'll likely get the form after the secondary. No sweat, you're fine.

Did your boxes ever update? I have the same two "true" boxes. My primary was transmitted late May with letters and MCAT. Already took CASPer. Secondary was submitted within the last week though.

Is the portal like this for anyone else?

Did your boxes ever update? I have the same two "true" boxes. My primary was transmitted late May with letters and MCAT. Already took CASPer. Secondary was submitted within the last week though.

My primary was transmitted early June and the portal updated to true earlier this week for me.

Lol my table has been gone for a while, it was all true before though as of Jun 3

Yes, my boxes did eventually show true. I think I never saw the CASPer box update though, but it said "under review" anyway, and now the table is gone completely as many others have described. Hopefully yours will change soon - for some reason it seemed like when I submitted the secondary that triggered the rest of the app to be processed.

For prompt #4, is it referring to medical subspecialties (such as radiology) or career paths (medical academics) or practice location (rural care) or demographics (the underserved) or all of the above?

For prompt #4, is it referring to medical subspecialties (such as radiology) or career paths (medical academics) or practice location (rural care) or demographics (the underserved) or all of the above?
My interpretation is medical subspecialties.

Reactions: 1 users
What ever you want it to be. Not specific.

Would it be discouraged to talk about witnessing a physician acting unethically/discriminating for UTSW’s secondary: “Describe a time that you witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonest, or experiences behavior of harassment or discrimination.”

During one of my gastroenterologist visits, I felt like I wasn’t taken serious for my condition. I was told by a male doctor that the reason for my stomach pains and nausea were probably because I was stressed/ emotional about being single and not having a husband... he even laughed a little like joking around but I didn’t think it was funny.... I never even mentioned my personal life! He simply asked if I was married and I said no.... After I told him I was going through MCAT studying he was like “Oh you should do something that has a faster route. More time for family. Don't you want to be a mother?”

I wanted to talk about women’s health and how most women don’t get taken serious during their visits because of the stereotype that we’re weak, emotional, and dependent on a man. Pretty much talk about my female empowerment/feminist side... Appropriate or no?

I could also talk about witnessing my parents being discriminated and disrespected for not speaking English (I’m a first gen Latina).

AM I BEING TOO SENSITIVE OR SOMETHING?!!!

Last edited:
Would it be discouraged to talk about witnessing a physician acting unethically/discriminating for Texas A&M’s secondary: “Describe a time that you witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonest, or experiences behavior of harassment or discrimination.”...

That was one of Texas A&M's secondary question?

That was one of Texas A&M's secondary question?
Would it be discouraged to talk about witnessing a physician acting unethically/discriminating for UTSW’s secondary: “Describe a time that you witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonest, or experiences behavior of harassment or discrimination.”

During one of my gastroenterologist visits, I felt like I wasn’t taken serious for my condition. I was told by a male doctor that the reason for my stomach pains and nausea were probably because I was stressed/ emotional about being single and not having a husband... he even laughed a little like joking around but I didn’t think it was funny.... I never even mentioned my personal life! He simply asked if I was married and I said no.... After I told him I was going through MCAT studying he was like “Oh you should do something that has a faster route. More time for family. Don't you want to be a mother?” He was an old Asian man so maybe that’s cool in their culture but REALLY?!!?!?

I wanted to talk about women’s health and how most women don’t get taken serious during their visits because of the stereotype that we’re weak, emotional, and dependent on a man. Pretty much talk about my female empowerment/feminist side... Appropriate or no?

I could also talk about witnessing my parents being discriminated and disrespected for not speaking English (I’m a first gen Latina).

AM I BEING TOO SENSITIVE OR SOMETHING?!!!
I think you mean UT southwestern, (2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School), but I think it would be more powerful if you had a situation where someone was being treated as the prompt indicates and you were able to and did something to correct the inappropriate behavior.