2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II IS, ~68 LizzyM, my undergrad, ORM, 1st gen immigrant

Secondary in 1st week of july, primary 1st week of june

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone that applied to the EnMed program receive and II? Also for those that received an II, have you taken your Casper test yet?

I didnt apply to the EnMed program, received an II today. Caper was taken June 21 and scores were submitted.

I just checked my portal yesterday and it was missing "true" underneath my secondary fee. I called them and got it fixed. If you haven't gotten an II yet, you may just want to double check that. But also, it's July. We're fine.

What are y'all writing about for the first prompt? My step-mom and three step-siblings (of about 12 years) are hispanic, but I don't feel that they are much different in a cultural sense. Some random Spanish around the house sometimes, and family values are a little bit different, but I don't feel like I'd have much to write about. Does this sound like a good topic, given the prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, unfortunately won't be able to meet you. I'm a week later.

What are y'all writing about for the first prompt? My step-mom and three step-siblings (of about 12 years) are hispanic, but I don't feel that they are much different in a cultural sense. Some random Spanish around the house sometimes, and family values are a little bit different, but I don't feel like I'd have much to write about. Does this sound like a good topic, given the prompt?
hmm, can you think of any other event or maybe travel experience where it influenced your ability to communicate with those different from you?

Ah, unfortunately won't be able to meet you. I'm a week later.

hmm, can you think of any other event or maybe travel experience where it influenced your ability to communicate with those different from you?

That's my main issue. I've never been out of the country before. I'd love to travel given the chance, but my family just never traveled much growing up and I haven't exactly had the means to go on my own.

Maybe that could be a potential topic for you. Despite never traveling/never leaving you grew to become sensitive to other cultures because of interactions with X, Y, Z at something impactful you did that could include volunteering/ family relationships
That's my main issue. I've never been out of the country before. I'd love to travel given the chance, but my family just never traveled much growing up and I haven't exactly had the means to go on my own.

If you'd like somebody to read over your first essay for Texas A&M just let me know. I'd be happy to do it.

I submitted early July and a new form was just added for me to apply to the EnMed program even though I did not mark that in the secondary. Did that happen to anyone else? and will it help my chances to get in if I do it?

I submitted early July and a new form was just added for me to apply to the EnMed program even though I did not mark that in the secondary. Did that happen to anyone else? and will it help my chances to get in if I do it?
Apply to EnMed if you’re interested. I doubt it will help you get it.

Can anyone explain to me how all the regional campuses work for students? Are you just assigned one or is there more to it?

Can anyone explain to me how all the regional campuses work for students? Are you just assigned one or is there more to it?
You rank the 5 tracks (iirc current MS2s were required to submit their rankings soon after the TMDSAS match, but MS1s still have some time to submit their ranking). Most students get their first or second choice. If you have ties or compelling reasons for your top choice, you'll probably get it. Very few students get their third choice or lower. Also, they told us that Temple is usually the most popular choice.

You rank the 5 tracks (iirc current MS2s were required to submit their rankings soon after the TMDSAS match, but MS1s still have some time to submit their ranking). Most students get their first or second choice. If you have ties or compelling reasons for your top choice, you'll probably get it. Very few students get their third choice or lower. Also, they told us that Temple is usually the most popular choice.

Thanks! That makes sense. So you rank which campus you prefer and you spend all 4 years at the campus you are assigned too or is it split like 1 year in college station and 3 years in the assigned campus etc? That was the part I couldn’t figure out from their website.

Thanks! That makes sense. So you rank which campus you prefer and you spend all 4 years at the campus you are assigned too or is it split like 1 year in college station and 3 years in the assigned campus etc? That was the part I couldn’t figure out from their website.
For the Bryan-College Station (BCS) track, you spend all 4 years in the area.
For the Houston track, you spend 1.5 years in BCS and the rest in Houston. (This track may become a bit more competitive for regular MD students because they're reserving a lot of the seats for EnMed students, who do all 4 years in Houston.)
For the Temple, Round Rock, and Dallas tracks, you spend 1 year in BCS and the rest in the respective city.

For all 5 tracks (maybe 4, not sure about the BCS track with its longitudinal AIM curriculum), you have the option of doing some rotations at a hospital affiliated with a track you're not under. For example, if you get the Houston track and want to do a rotation at Baylor Scott and White in Dallas, you have the option to do so.

For the Houston track, you spend 1.5 years in BCS and the rest in Houston. (This track may become a bit more competitive for regular MD students because they're reserving a lot of the seats for EnMed students, who do all 4 years in Houston.)
For the Temple, Round Rock, and Dallas tracks, you spend 1 year in BCS and the rest in the respective city.

For all 5 tracks (maybe 4, not sure about the BCS track with its longitudinal AIM curriculum), you have the option of doing some rotations at a hospital affiliated with a track you're not under. For example, if you get the Houston track and want to do a rotation at Baylor Scott and White in Dallas, you have the option to do so.
Too add on if you’re in the EnMed Program, you’ll be in Houston all 4 years.

How does MSTP fit into that?

I have no idea where MD-PhD students end up, unfortunately

Most of MD-PhD students go to the Houston campus and do their stuff there. What they do exactly I'm not sure I just know most of my class-mates now have been done with clinical rotations/step 2 now and are doing their research-y things in Houston.

You don't necessarily have to go to Houston for clinical rotations (I know a few who were on the other campuses), but eventually you gotta make it back down there to start up after rotations.

For reapplicants, do we need to register a new account for the TAMHSC admission website in order to submit the secondary? My previous account has my submitted secondary and I can't figure out how to submit a new one. Thanks

For reapplicants, do we need to register a new account for the TAMHSC admission website in order to submit the secondary? My previous account has my submitted secondary and I can't figure out how to submit a new one. Thanks
When I reapplied it was in the same portal. I don’t remember how. I also saw my application to the public health school from when I applied way back when.

When I reapplied it was in the same portal. I don’t remember how. I also saw my application to the public health school from when I applied way back when.
Hm okay. I can't figure how to submit a new 2nd app and its pretty frustrating. There's nothing in the "outstanding assignments" tab and I can't find any link to submit a new one. I tried clicking on the old one but it doesn't let you edit it or anything. Anyways thanks for your reply

Hm okay. I can't figure how to submit a new 2nd app and its pretty frustrating. There's nothing in the "outstanding assignments" tab and I can't find any link to submit a new one. I tried clicking on the old one but it doesn't let you edit it or anything. Anyways thanks for your reply

Also a re-applicant.

1) *Go to h ttps://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/md/requirements.html
2) Go to the "Secondary Application" section on the left.
3) There's a link for you to access the new secondary.

"Re-applicants MUST use the above link to be given the 2019 Secondary Application. Log in with your existing username and password. If you have forgotten your username or password click Forgot Password"

*SDN wouldn't let me post a link, so just remove the space between "https:"

Super late with my reply on this but it took me a while to find it - this schematic diagram seems accurate but Round Rock option may be phased out
Doctor of Medicine on this page click on Campus Tracks from the left side menu

Can anyone who interviewed this past thursday describe their experience here?

Reactions: 1 users
A&M,

I just want to remind you what’s at stake.

Sincerely,

All of us “patiently” waiting

upload_2018-8-8_21-41-12.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Any MD/PhD applicants already have interviews and can tell me how it went?