You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Texas A&M
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).
- The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code (3500 character maximum).
- Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).
- OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.
I was also wondering about this. I was thinking about writing about a natural disaster but not sure if they only want the types of challenges listed?Regrading Question 3, I feel like I should not talk about challenges less intense than the examples given in the prompt. It seems like this is not the same question as other schools have about a challenge and how you overcame it. Can someone comment on this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that could fit the prompt if it was something you/your family faced personally (tornado or hurricane damage to your home, flooding likewise), how the family dealt with it & what strengths were needed, insights.I was also wondering about this. I was thinking about writing about a natural disaster but not sure if they only want the types of challenges listed?
If it helps, I wrote about Hurricane Katrina hereI was also wondering about this. I was thinking about writing about a natural disaster but not sure if they only want the types of challenges listed?
I wrote about a natural disaster for my optional essay on the primary application. How would it look to use the same topic for this secondary essay?
spookymulder26
Full Member
Has anybody else’s account on A&M synced with their TMDSAS account? I don’t remember having to input that when I registered on their website and my primary app still isn’t showing up even tho I submitted over 3 weeks ago
I think for A&M you have to submit the secondary because you indicate your TMDSAS ID on the secondary, but not anywhere else before that. Correct me if I'm wrong though.Has anybody else’s account on A&M synced with their TMDSAS account? I don’t remember having to input that when I registered on their website and my primary app still isn’t showing up even tho I submitted over 3 weeks ago
spookymulder26
Full Member
I think for A&M you have to submit the secondary because you indicate your TMDSAS ID on the secondary, but not anywhere else before that. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I can’t remember if when you register you had to put in your TMDSAS. I submitted a month ago and not even my primary is showing as completed on their website. Just the secondary.
I'm currently working on my secondary for A&M and there was a question on it that had you put your TMDSAS and AMCAS ID. I think this is what they use to sync it.I can’t remember if when you register you had to put in your TMDSAS. I submitted a month ago and not even my primary is showing as completed on their website. Just the secondary.
Mine still hasn’t synced and I submitted my secondary
Maybe it can take a few weeks to process it. If it's been a while I would consider calling their admissions office.Mine still hasn’t synced and I submitted my secondary
I contacted the admissions office and was notified that there is currently a problem with their system communicating with CASPER and TMDSAS.
I submitted my TMDSAS at the end of May and still haven't received A&M's secondary. Is this normal? I've gotten other Texas secondaries already
You need to register on their portal.I submitted my TMDSAS at the end of May and still haven't received A&M's secondary. Is this normal? I've gotten other Texas secondaries already
Secondary Applications
Secondary applications should be completed as soon as you submit your TMDSAS application. Any questions related to a secondary application should be directed to the respective school.
www.tmdsas.com
Texas A&M University College of Medicine
Applicants must create an account in our Application Processing Portal to receive the Secondary Application.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the first essay topic, "Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum)," how broad is the topic? I'd rather talk about my different volunteering experiences and how I've interacted with different individuals that made me more aware of different livelihoods.
I’m in the same boat, TMDSAS transmitted 6/12 and still not in A&M’s system. Between this app site and Tech’s site, it’s hard to apply early.Mine still hasn’t synced and I submitted my secondary
Where do you see a transmission date?I’m in the same boat, TMDSAS transmitted 6/12 and still not in A&M’s system. Between this app site and Tech’s site, it’s hard to apply early.
Someone previously said that they contacted TAMHSC and they are having problems connecting with TMDSAS and CASPerI’m in the same boat, TMDSAS transmitted 6/12 and still not in A&M’s system. Between this app site and Tech’s site, it’s hard to apply early.
On the tmdsas portalWhere do you see a transmission date?
Is there a sperate prompt for their EnMed program?
Mine only shows secondary info. Primary still blank.Have they fixed the issues with TMDSAS and CASPer? My app was transmitted late May but on the portal none of my primary application materials are marked "true"
Have they fixed the issues with TMDSAS and CASPer? My app was transmitted late May but on the portal none of my primary application materials are marked "true"
I think they fixed the CASPER issue. Mine is showing up as true. The primary is still not showing up as true.
same, just missing primary and MCAT scoreI think they fixed the CASPER issue. Mine is showing up as true. The primary is still not showing up as true.
When did you submit your secondary? I submitted last week and my CASPer exam was May 14th (results have been delivered according to them), and I made sure to put both TMDSAS and AMCAS IDs on my CASPer account. It hasn't been marked as "true" yet.I think they fixed the CASPER issue. Mine is showing up as true. The primary is still not showing up as true.
When did you submit your secondary? I submitted last week and my CASPer exam was May 14th (results have been delivered according to them), and I made sure to put both TMDSAS and AMCAS IDs on my CASPer account. It hasn't been marked as "true" yet.
I submitted the secondary 6/9. I took CASPER 6/2.
My portal also says I'm under review!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage."
I'm having trouble with this prompt; I feel like I haven't really experienced the hardships to which they refer, and I don't know if I should talk about an instance of poor academic performance during my first two years of undergrad. I don't want to undermine the value of this prompt or other applicants' essays. Any suggestions?
I'm having trouble with this prompt; I feel like I haven't really experienced the hardships to which they refer, and I don't know if I should talk about an instance of poor academic performance during my first two years of undergrad. I don't want to undermine the value of this prompt or other applicants' essays. Any suggestions?
Sometimes a prompt is not applicable, so if you can't think of anything major such as the examples, you can say "not applicable". Improving as a student past your first 2 years at college is more indicative of personal growth."Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage."
I'm having trouble with this prompt; I feel like I haven't really experienced the hardships to which they refer, and I don't know if I should talk about an instance of poor academic performance during my first two years of undergrad. I don't want to undermine the value of this prompt or other applicants' essays. Any suggestions?
As for prompt #4, don't leave that one unanswered, because if there isn't at least one field of medicine that interests you, they would wonder!
Sometimes a prompt is not applicable, so if you can't think of anything major such as the examples, you can say "not applicable". Improving as a student past your first 2 years at college is more indicative of personal growth.
As for prompt #4, don't leave that one unanswered, because if there isn't at least one field of medicine that interests you, they would wonder!
Thank you, @wysdoc ! Your help is much appreciated.
Should I elaborate on how the prompt is not applicable or should I simply indicate "Not applicable."
Oh and I definitely have answers for prompt #4!
You can just say Not applicable. By doing this you are not "leaving it blank" so they know you finished the application as you intended.Thank you, @wysdoc ! Your help is much appreciated.
Should I elaborate on how the prompt is not applicable or should I simply indicate "Not applicable."
Oh and I definitely have answers for prompt #4!
Just checked a few minutes ago, all the boxes have been checkedEverything updated today, under review.
Are you guys checking "interested in military medicine"?
I'm not NOT interested in military medicine so I don't want to not check it. I'm more not super knowledgeable about it.
Would it be like "not good" to not check this box given A&M does have a track for military medicine and A&M in general is pretty into that sort of stuff (Corp). Or are you only checking it off if that is one of your real interests in medicine.
I'm not NOT interested in military medicine so I don't want to not check it. I'm more not super knowledgeable about it.
Would it be like "not good" to not check this box given A&M does have a track for military medicine and A&M in general is pretty into that sort of stuff (Corp). Or are you only checking it off if that is one of your real interests in medicine.
If you aren't interested then don't check it. Just be truthful mate.Are you guys checking "interested in military medicine"?
I'm not NOT interested in military medicine so I don't want to not check it. I'm more not super knowledgeable about it.
Would it be like "not good" to not check this box given A&M does have a track for military medicine and A&M in general is pretty into that sort of stuff (Corp). Or are you only checking it off if that is one of your real interests in medicine.
pHDole
Full Member
I think for A&M you have to submit the secondary because you indicate your TMDSAS ID on the secondary, but not anywhere else before that. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
It took mine about 4 weeks for anything besides the secondary to be checked. They all got checked off at the same time like a week ago. I called them before and they said it just take a while (up to 6 weeks) from when you submit the secondary. Don't worry about it.
i mean again my main point was i'm not sure about my current interests but yeah i went ahead and did not click it because its not something i'm actively going to pursueIf you aren't interested then don't check it. Just be truthful mate.
"Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage."
I'm having trouble with this prompt; I feel like I haven't really experienced the hardships to which they refer, and I don't know if I should talk about an instance of poor academic performance during my first two years of undergrad. I don't want to undermine the value of this prompt or other applicants' essays. Any suggestions?
I talked about a poor academic performance and what I learned from it and what I did afterwards. It resonated well with one of the adcoms. n=1
Same, lol.If it helps, I wrote about Hurricane Katrina here
does anyone know the proper way to reference the med school in an essay? I currently have written "...the TAMU College of Medicine."
sundevilnontrad
Full Member
does anyone know the proper way to reference the med school in an essay? I currently have written "...the TAMU College of Medicine."
I reference the way they reference in the prompt, so I put "Texas A&M College of Medicine"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II just now!
Did you receive an email? Or portal update?
Did you receive an email? Or portal update?
They sent multiple emails. One with the initial invite and one about the portal being updated for RSVP.
