2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you mean UT southwestern, (2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School), but I think it would be more powerful if you had a situation where someone was being treated as the prompt indicates and you were able to and did something to correct the inappropriate behavior.
Great point. It avoids seeming like I am trying to pity myself

Members don't see this ad.

I have a legitimate reason for answering the "death in the family" prompt but no matter how many times I rewrite it, it always seems to come out wrong. My stats are still really good for this school so I'm tempted to leave it out, but if asked about the discrepancy between my GPA and MCAT in a face to face conversation, I think I would bring it up. Talking about it with my friends is fine and they understand that it impacted me, but writing about it for some strangers barely a month later just feels odd. I'm a bit torn on answering this prompt. At this point, I feel like it is more likely to do more harm than good.

I have a legitimate reason for answering the "death in the family" prompt but no matter how many times I rewrite it, it always seems to come out wrong. My stats are still really good for this school so I'm tempted to leave it out, but if asked about the discrepancy between my GPA and MCAT in a face to face conversation, I think I would bring it up. Talking about it with my friends is fine and they understand that it impacted me, but writing about it for some strangers barely a month later just feels odd. I'm a bit torn on answering this prompt. At this point, I feel like it is more likely to do more harm than good.

You should take every opportunity to show more about yourself; submit every essay possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should take every opportunity to show more about yourself; submit every essay possible.

Lol I don't think that applies for the essay in this scenario. I think OP definitely has a choice whether or not they want to talk about that.

Trust me; from someone who has done what they did and got lectured by Maldonado (dean of admissions) for not submitting the essay after I didn't receive an interview, submit the essay. It doesn't have to be about the death in the family, but choose something.

Trust me; from someone who has done what they did and got lectured by Maldonado (dean of admissions) for not submitting the essay after I didn't receive an interview, submit the essay. It doesn't have to be about the death in the family, but choose something.

OK, thanks, I guess I will submit it.

OK, thanks, I guess I will submit it.

Just to add something else to consider, the advice I received from a WUSM adcom about deciding whether to mention your "X factor" (something about you/your application that you're concerned about) is that you need to be able to discuss it in an interview with a level head, i.e. not getting overly defensive, crying, becoming incoherent, etc. Since you say that you would likely bring it up in an interview if asked, I think it's a good idea to write about it. If it truly explains a discrepancy, then I think it's wise to ensure that you're given the chance to explain by writing about it rather than just hoping someone will ask in an interview.

Regarding the misdemeanors etc. statement, I know this has been asked a million times in other threads, but does this include tickets? I don't have any traffic tickets on my record, but I did have one where I did the "deferred adjudication" which is basically where you agree to pay the fine and then manage to not get another ticket in their jurisdiction for 90 days, at which point they throw out the original ticket.

Is it normal when you submit your secondary that it shows your primary as null? I guess I never rec'd an email from them when TMDSAS transmitted my primary, but I do have the email from TMDSAS showing that it was submitted to them.

Does it all just update when they receive the fee from your secondary?

Regarding the misdemeanors etc. statement, I know this has been asked a million times in other threads, but does this include tickets? I don't have any traffic tickets on my record, but I did have one where I did the "deferred adjudication" which is basically where you agree to pay the fine and then manage to not get another ticket in their jurisdiction for 90 days, at which point they throw out the original ticket.

Nah dog, that's small time.

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all check your junk mail! Looks like they're sending IIs

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one today. IS. Complete mid-June. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that earlier!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do you mind sharing any of the available dates?
They assigned me a date and location. Looks like interviews are held in Bryan (College Station) and Temple.

Last edited:
I got one today. LizzyM 73-75. IS. Complete mid-June. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that earlier!
Congrats! What did your portal look like before the II? Did your boxes disappear? What does it look like now?

Congrats! What did your portal look like before the II? Did your boxes disappear? What does it look like now?
Boxes disappeared once all my boxes were marked true. It still says Under Review, but you'll get a notification through the portal to RSVP to the interview. Looks like they're on Thursdays like last year.

Boxes disappeared once all my boxes were marked true. It still says Under Review, but you'll get a notification through the portal to RSVP to the interview. Looks like they're on Thursdays like last year.
Congrats!! :)
When were your letters and secondary in?

Has anyone had issues with TMDSAS still not having received your letters after a month? I used Interfolio and they delivered on May 30.

Has anyone had issues with TMDSAS still not having received your letters after a month? I used Interfolio and they delivered on May 30.
That seems too long - I suggest you call TMDSAS during business hours and ask them to check for your letters. Have your Interfolio account number, if any, ready. If Interfolio did not have a TMDSAS ID # for you, it can make matching letters to your account more difficult.

That seems too long - I suggest you call TMDSAS during business hours and ask them to check for your letters. Have your Interfolio account number, if any, ready. If Interfolio did not have a TMDSAS ID # for you, it can make matching letters to your account more difficult.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'll call Interfolio too. I matched all of the IDs to their letters; there's no reason why they should not have received them.

I received an EnMed (Engineering Medicine) Supplemental Application from A&M this morning.

I did not indicate I was interested in this field in my primary or secondary apps...

I was wondering if there were others who received it as well, and what it could possibly mean in terms of chances for a future II?

Thanks guys!

I received an EnMed (Engineering Medicine) Supplemental Application from A&M this morning.

I did not indicate I was interested in this field in my primary or secondary apps...

I was wondering if there were others who received it as well, and what it could possibly mean in terms of chances for a future II?

Thanks guys!
Are you perhaps an engineering major in college? EnMed is one of Dean Byington's pet projects

Are you perhaps an engineering major in college? EnMed is one of Dean Byington's pet projects

I’m a chemistry major XD. It just caught me off guard since ppl were already getting II... I guess I’m just trying to rationalize.

I’m a chemistry major XD. It just caught me off guard since ppl were already getting II... I guess I’m just trying to rationalize.
You can also apply if youre a chemistry or physics major from what I read in their website. I wish I could apply but Im a bio major even though I've done research chemistry research. :(

I got the enmed thing too, thought I got an interview as well... but rip :(

II today, app received early June, LizzyM 69.4, URM, re-applicant, IS. Interview is July 26

For those who got the EnMed form, were you interested and filled it out? If not, did you submit it empty?
I don't think i'm interested and don't know if I'm supposed to submit the form blank on the secondary portal.

Still nothing. Crossing my fingers.

Reactions: 6 users
Have any EnMed applicants received an II yet or know how they plan to go about interviewing for the program?

A&M, why are you doing this to us. :arghh:. That's basically ALL of the major host servers. Except Gmail. I smell collusion.

Attachments

• A&M.JPG
    A&M.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 118
A&M, why are you doing this to us. :arghh:. That's basically ALL of the major host servers. Except Gmail. I smell collusion.
If they strive to be the school that will combine engineering with medicine, surely they can get their IT department to fix this mess! Ridiculous!

added: I dared to message Dean Byington on Twitter to see if she is aware of the issue - hope this will get it addressed for y'all

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If they strive to be the school that will combine engineering with medicine, surely they can get their IT department to fix this mess! Ridiculous!

They’re striving...but haven’t got there yet. :D

Sooo does this mean they may be having issues sending out IIs? Ugh.

I know right. As if it wasn't already nervie enough, lol. Don't they know a lot of us use our edu emails and those are usually through outlook, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure if they're aware of the tech issue, they wouldn't be so cavalier with sending II's just yet.

As long as the portal still says "under review," it means we haven't missed anything yet, correct? Does the status change if they send an II?
Right.

The status stays the same but there is a new form to complete.

Reactions: 1 users
As long as the portal still says "under review," it means we haven't missed anything yet, correct? Does the status change if they send an II?
The status still says "under review" but under Outstanding assignments there is a post that says "Interview RSVP" if you have received an interview invitation! I have an outlook email and received my invitation fine!