2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I was accepted at TAMHSC last year and decided to do the MD Plus program (dual degree). I'm currently doing a 1-year MBA program and will start M1 next year. If anyone has questions about MD/MBA, feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was accepted at TAMHSC last year and decided to do the MD Plus program (dual degree). I'm currently doing a 1-year MBA program and will start M1 next year. If anyone has questions about MD/MBA, feel free to reach out.
I’m super interested in this. However I did not choose to select the option on my application. Is there any way to still join if I’m doing regular admissions?

Long time lurker, first time poster!
I'm OOS and interviewed a couple of months ago. I remember I didn't get too much OOS-specific info then regarding their admissions process, so after asking some questions, I wanted to pass along what I was told for any other OOS people waiting to hear:
They consider Oct 15-mid June the rolling admissions period for OOS. They don't officially notify anyone of waitlist/rejection until after the Match. At that time, they'll send rejections based on their projected alternate offers, or you'll get an official notification of being on the alternate list. They don't project much movement in the class until May, and then in June they finalize the class. If you're on the alternate list at that time without an offer, then you'll get a rejection.
Lastly, for OOS applicants who have interviewed, you can assume that you're on the alternate list until notified otherwise.
Hope this helps others out!

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker, first time poster!
I'm OOS and interviewed a couple of months ago. I remember I didn't get too much OOS-specific info then regarding their admissions process, so after asking some questions, I wanted to pass along what I was told for any other OOS people waiting to hear:
They consider Oct 15-mid June the rolling admissions period for OOS. They don't officially notify anyone of waitlist/rejection until after the Match. At that time, they'll send rejections based on their projected alternate offers, or you'll get an official notification of being on the alternate list. They don't project much movement in the class until May, and then in June they finalize the class. If you're on the alternate list at that time without an offer, then you'll get a rejection.
Lastly, for OOS applicants who have interviewed, you can assume that you're on the alternate list until notified otherwise.
Hope this helps others out!

Hey there!
So what your saying is if you are OOS and have interviewed, unless you have heard that you have been accepted you're on the alternate list as of now? Meaning if you interviewed there as an OOS student, your chances of acceptance are higher?

Also naive person over here, is the alternate list the same thing as a waitlist?

Hey there!
So what your saying is if you are OOS and have interviewed, unless you have heard that you have been accepted you're on the alternate list as of now? Meaning if you interviewed there as an OOS student, your chances of acceptance are higher?

Also naive person over here, is the alternate list the same thing as a waitlist?
OK so first the easy question: yes, they call it the alternate list instead of a waitlist.
I'm not sure why they say OOS can assume they're waitlisted while they wait, as opposed to other schools that just say "wait and see". I think (and this is conjecture) if you're OOS and you made the cut for interview, they like you enough to at least waitlist you. I don't know what percentage of OOS people make it off the waitlist vs IS, and also how Match results influence the waitlist, so I can't say if OOS chances off the waitlist are better for acceptance overall.

It could also just be that they don't send official rejections until after the Match and want you to have a different mindset? Again, I'm not sure.

II yesterday (regular MD)!
Complete 6/25, IS, LM 75-80

Thought for sure I was passed up :)

II out of the blue!

First TX, first MD, lol.
I honestly complete gave up on Texas.
Any tips? Do they just offer one date?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats? I transmitted 6/27 with a 68.6 not one interview yet. You are giving me a little hope. I just purchased another review course, I guess a 510 isn’t high enough for most ORM.

What are your stats? I transmitted 6/27 with a 68.6 not one interview yet. You are giving me a little hope. I just purchased another review course, I guess a 510 isn’t high enough for most ORM.

Also ORM. My LM is like 64 I think. You have much higher stats.. that’s why I was a little surprised.

If this cycle doesn’t work out, I would definitely recommend applying broadly and DO. I’ve had 3 II, and all acceptances for OOS DO schools.

A&M is my dream school and I am yet to hear from them. OOS, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 520:132/127/130/131, overall pretty well rounded extracurriculars (somewhat cookie cutter though). I completed my secondary 6/20.

The primary reasons I want to go to A&M is that my family lives there and I want to be close to them for support for my wife and daughter while I’m in school. I also really like the curriculum and how they are open to interdisciplinary studies (enMed is an example).

Like many of you that haven’t been invited for an interview, I am a little panicked. Thoughts? I’ve heard to not worry til October (but November is 1 day away), maybe because I’m not a Texas resident, and also that my MCAT might make it look like they are a backup. I really don’t know what to think at this point. If anyone would be interested in reviewing my application to give you a better idea, I’d be willing to send it over.

A&M is my dream school and I am yet to hear from them. OOS, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 520:132/127/130/131, overall pretty well rounded extracurriculars (somewhat cookie cutter though). I completed my secondary 6/20.

The primary reasons I want to go to A&M is that my family lives there and I want to be close to them for support for my wife and daughter while I’m in school. I also really like the curriculum and how they are open to interdisciplinary studies (enMed is an example).

Like many of you that haven’t been invited for an interview, I am a little panicked. Thoughts? I’ve heard to not worry til October (but November is 1 day away), maybe because I’m not a Texas resident, and also that my MCAT might make it look like they are a backup. I really don’t know what to think at this point. If anyone would be interested in reviewing my application to give you a better idea, I’d be willing to send it over.

Email them and express interest. They probably haven’t offered bc of yield protection. Mention your family!!

Email them and express interest. They probably haven’t offered bc of yield protection. Mention your family!!

I emailed them 2 weeks ago and talked about my family but never received a response. I also mentioned my reason for applying there specifically in my secondary...

Also, would you explain yield protection to me?
Basically schools choose not to interview high stat applicants because they believe the applicants will end up going somewhere else. Probably not always the case but I definitely think it happens.

Basically schools choose not to interview high stat applicants because they believe the applicants will end up going somewhere else. Probably not always the case but I definitely think it happens.
Ah, I see. Is that something that could be a reality in my case?

What has been the interview experience here? I know it’s two one-on-ones, but that’s about it.

What has been the interview experience here? I know it’s two one-on-ones, but that’s about it.
It's crazy chill. I was so nervous, but they made me feel right at home. I feel like if you've made it to the interview, they just want to make sure you're not a crazie. Past that, they're taking an opportunity to advertise their school.

It's crazy chill. I was so nervous, but they made me feel right at home. I feel like if you've made it to the interview, they just want to make sure you're not a crazie. Past that, they're taking an opportunity to advertise their school.

Thanks! Did you go to the social the night before?

Also, would you explain yield protection to me?
So this isn't official, but during my interview at A&M they said they are reserving most if not all OOS spots to attract top talent for EnMed. Again, take it with a grain of salt, but that's what a student said during my interview (OOS EnMed interview)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

So this isn't official, but during my interview at A&M they said they are reserving most if not all OOS spots to attract top talent for EnMed. Again, take it with a grain of salt, but that's what a student said during my interview (OOS EnMed interview)

As an OOS who interviewed for regular MD, this hurts my heart.

If they offered you an interview then this student is probably wrong. They wouldn't interview ppl for no reason, waste of money and time for them too

Reactions: 1 users
Also ORM. My LM is like 64 I think. You have much higher stats.. that’s why I was a little surprised.

If this cycle doesn’t work out, I would definitely recommend applying broadly and DO. I’ve had 3 II, and all acceptances for OOS DO schools.
Thanks for the advice. This is my second time to apply. Last year I applied late and got an interview in 17 days. Trying to stay positive.

Thanks! Did you go to the social the night before?

I did. Again, super welcoming and nice. It was a little awkward only bc the next day they had a Med student panel and I had already asked a ton of questions and had a hard time coming up with new questions. The most helpful part of the social was i got a chance to meet people that were in my interview group so I felt more comfortable interacting the next morning.

If they offered you an interview then this student is probably wrong. They wouldn't interview ppl for no reason, waste of money and time for them too

I agree with you. don't think thats correct. I know a few OOS students who have been interviewed, and I know they would not do it just to toy with them!

Reactions: 1 users
I did. Again, super welcoming and nice. It was a little awkward only bc the next day they had a Med student panel and I had already asked a ton of questions and had a hard time coming up with new questions. The most helpful part of the social was i got a chance to meet people that were in my interview group so I felt more comfortable interacting the next morning.

Is it just students? Or do they have some faculty or staff also? And what’s the dress code? The flyer didn’t specify

Is it just students? Or do they have some faculty or staff also? And what’s the dress code? The flyer didn’t specify
It's a few med students and other interviewees. It is genuinely A&M offering interviewees a free meal and an opportunity to get to know their school in a setting that is casual with people that have no influence over your application. I wore boots/jeans/blouse.

Ah, I see. Is that something that could be a reality in my case?

No, your stats are not that high for an OOS resident that they would skip you for yield protection. The median OOS MCAT is 515, and while a 520 will put you above the 75th percentile for mcat, there still is a decent chunk of OOS applicants that are accepted with higher scores. Coupled with your GPA, you will see that OOS accepted students median GPA is 3.88/3.85. Your cumulative is in the lower 25th percentile for accepted OOS and your science is below the 10th percentile for OOS.

Don't get me wrong, you have excellent academic credentials, I'm merely clarifying that the argument that you are not being invited due to yield protection doesn't really hold water when you look at the MSAR data, just in case you were considering sending a letter of interest or something and were considering mentioning yield protection.

No, your stats are not that high for an OOS resident that they would skip you for yield protection. The median OOS MCAT is 515, and while a 520 will put you above the 75th percentile for mcat, there still is a decent chunk of OOS applicants that are accepted with higher scores. Coupled with your GPA, you will see that OOS accepted students median GPA is 3.88/3.85. Your cumulative is in the lower 25th percentile for accepted OOS and your science is below the 10th percentile for OOS.

Don't get me wrong, you have excellent academic credentials, I'm merely clarifying that the argument that you are not being invited due to yield protection doesn't really hold water when you look at the MSAR data, just in case you were considering sending a letter of interest or something and were considering mentioning yield protection.
Yah, no offense but my stats OOS are: 3.5-3.6 and 520+ and was fortunate enough to get an II

LM 77 IS with decent ECs, complete on 8/9 and haven't heard back from here either. Would an email expressing interest be worth it?

LM 77 IS with decent ECs, complete on 8/9 and haven't heard back from here either. Would an email expressing interest be worth it?

I just called and asked and they dont accept updates...however could be different for EnMed though because they asked me if I was EnMed or not

I just called and asked and they dont accept updates...however could be different for EnMed though because they asked me if I was EnMed or not
They told me they take updates if you’re on the alternate list. If you applied for EnMed and didn’t get an acceptance Oct 15, then they might consider you an alternate and eligible to submit updates.

Any word from ENMED for those who interviewed after the first batch of acceptances was sent out the week of October 15?

I'm starting to get worried as I haven't received an interview from here yet. Lizzy score of 71, submitted late July. :( I've gotten interview from McGovern/ El Paso but nowhere else. Does anyone know if they've finished filling their interview dates yet?

They just assigned me a date, 11/29!

Stats? And where are you interviewing?

I was assigned a date also, but one that’s later. I’m just curious what my chances are.

I was assigned a date also, but one that’s later. I’m just curious what my chances are.

3.88/508! Idk it’s possible that someone canceled and they just gave me that date. Regardless, congrats on getting an interview here! :)