2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who pre-matched!

For those of you who interviewed, do you feel that there is a good way to prepare for the Standardized Patient Experiences or any topics that we should read up on/be prepared for?
There really is nothing to prepare for. You don't need to know anything technical. Just be yourself and have fun with it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone prematched to Enmed after the first wave of acceptance on the 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Enmed is true P/F or is it graded like TAMU?

Anyone knows if this school normally extends prematches past the 15th?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone recieved any MD/PhD acceptances yet?

Anyone knows if this school normally extends prematches past the 15th?
When I interviewed they said they sent out 1 prematch offer per seat on November 15th and that it would be unlikely to prematch after the 15th, so if people decline their prematch then they will send out more but its unlikely that more than a handful will go out.

When I interviewed they said they sent out 1 prematch offer per seat on November 15th and that it would be unlikely to prematch after the 15th, so if people decline their prematch then they will send out more but its unlikely that more than a handful will go out.
Even if some decline I think they’re gonna wait until match day to fill those seats

So since I didnt hear back yesterday, is it pointless for me to hope for anything between now and February first? :/

So since I didnt hear back yesterday, is it pointless for me to hope for anything between now and February first? :/

I heard the same thing at my interview day, that they would prematch on the first day and then would rely on the match after that. Is there a possibility? Maybe, since really anything can happen. But I would say to keep your expectations realistic unfortunately

Does TAMU accept update letters?

They will if you have at least received an interview invite! I called and they provided me with an email address to send a one-page update.

Members don't see this ad :)
My IS friend did about a month ago.

Ah ok. Cool, I ask because during my interview they said that late October, November, and December would be when decisions are sent out. I was wondering if November decisions had been released since pre-match started yesterday.
Thanks!

According to what previous posters heard from their interviews they also said they'd give half their (total) offers for match as well. So I'd believe it would also be 1 match offer per seat ?

They will if you have at least received an interview invite! I called and they provided me with an email address to send a one-page update.
Are you sure? I emailed them one a while back and never heard anything and I just called admissions and they said they don't accept update letters.

According to what previous posters heard from their interviews they also said they'd give half their (total) offers for match as well. So I'd believe it would also be 1 match offer per seat ?
Maybe, I interviewed early September so I might not remember right and there might be different information because I interviewed at Temple, but I'm pretty sure the presenter said they give out 1 prematch per seat and then use match to fill the rest

Maybe, I interviewed early September so I might not remember right and there might be different information because I interviewed at Temple, but I'm pretty sure the presenter said they give out 1 prematch per seat and then use match to fill the rest
When I talked to students here none of them prematched (that I talked to). So I think most of those that end up coming here match or come off the waitlist

Are you sure? I emailed them one a while back and never heard anything and I just called admissions and they said they don't accept update letters.

Did you tell them you had already interviewed? I called recently as well. I can only comment on my own experience so sorry for any misinformation.

I prematched yesterday and on the acceptance stuff they said that the class size will be 100 which was news to me

interesting, last I heard was class size of 125. I wonder if they are counting EnMed acceptees separately?

in the acceptance email, they said that they had decided to reduce the class to 100 from 125. I would guess that EnMed is included in that 100.

Also, does anybody know when potential scholarship information will be sent out?

in the acceptance email, they said that they had decided to reduce the class to 100 from 125. I would guess that EnMed is included in that 100.

Also, does anybody know when potential scholarship information will be sent out?
I got a scholarship this morning via email.

Reactions: 1 users
So can someone please clarify the match process for me. So say for example, of the 100 students who prematched at A&M, 50 matched at a school other than A&M and the other 50 matched here. Does that mean only 50 offers will be sent out to the remaining students? Or is it possible that they send out more than that?

So can someone please clarify the match process for me. So say for example, of the 100 students who prematched at A&M, 50 matched at a school other than A&M and the other 50 matched here. Does that mean only 50 offers will be sent out to the remaining students? Or is it possible that they send out more than that?
To my understanding, schools rank each applicant they interview throughout the application cycle. On match day an algorithm will fill up the school’s class until a specified number of seats have been occupied, according to how the school ranked interviewed students. Applicants who interviewed at the school and did not match elsewhere will be placed on either a waitlist or in an alternate pool unless otherwise notified. After 2/1, waitlisted students will be given offers if/when matched students decide to pursue acceptances elsewhere. Waitlist activity tends to vary by medical school.

So I'm going to estimate some data, if anyone wants to correct me feel free to do so.

Since they started mid July and go until December(?) that would make about 19 weeks of interviews if you don't count holidays. At my interview I saw an exact 20 people in Bryan. So assuming another 10 in Temple that would make 30 people each week.

30 x 19 = 570 interviews.
Class size 100 ( Based on above post)

They prematch 1:1 per seat. So 100 prematches went out.

Assuming a prematch retention rate of 50%, that means 50 match spots are left for 470 people?

That means the rest of us who didn't prematch have 11% chance of getting one of those match spots.
There may be waitlist movement after that increasing our odds, but I don't see it increasing by much.

EDIT: If that class size of 100 in the above post includes the Enmed students, then the numbers drop slighly. Based on the school presentation, Enmed is supposed to have about 10? people. So that leaves ~90 MD spots.

Assuming 50% retention again, that would mean 45 MD spots are left for 470 interviewees. Or a 9.5% chance.

EDIT2: There is also another variable I did not account for. The Match system. Of those who interviewed, many may rank other schools higher than Tamu and as such those 11% and 9.5% chances are inaccurate. Usually from what I've seen and based on the school's pamphlet, Tamu has to continue sending out acceptances to fill up their class. This results in a 2:1 acceptance ratio for their seats. That means if 45-50 MD spots are left for the match, they may have to go through 90-100 people (match + waitlist) before all seats are filled. That would double the odds that were calculated above.

Any input?

Last edited:
So I'm going to estimate some data, if anyone wants to correct me feel free to do so.

Since they started mid July and go until December(?) that would make about 19 weeks of interviews if you don't count holidays. At my interview I saw an exact 20 people in Bryan. So assuming another 10 in Temple that would make 30 people each week.

Assuming a prematch retention rate of 50%, that means 50 match spots are left for 470 people?

That means the rest of us who didn't prematch have 11% chance of getting one of those match spots.
There may be waitlist movement after that increasing our odds, but I don't see it increasing by much.

EDIT: If that class size of 100 in the above post includes the Enmed students, then the numbers drop slighly. Based on the school presentation, Enmed is supposed to have about 10? people. So that leaves ~90 MD spots.

Assuming 50% retention again, that would mean 45 MD spots are left for 470 interviewees. Or a 9.5% chance.

EDIT2: There is also another variable I did not account for. The Match system. Of those who interviewed, many may rank other schools higher than Tamu and as such those 11% and 9.5% chances are inaccurate. Usually from what I've seen and based on the school's pamphlet, Tamu has to continue sending out acceptances to fill up their class. This results in a 2:1 acceptance ratio for their seats. That means if 45-50 MD spots are left for the match, they may have to go through 90-100 people (match + waitlist) before all seats are filled. That would double the odds that were calculated above.

Any input?

Prematch retention rate of 50% probably too high

Any input?
It's a really complicated thing to put a percentage chance on, @Akela98. I am definitely no statistician, but I admire that you are putting your mind to work on this. Another confounding variable is that some Texans have been offered pre-matches at multiple schools, some as many as 6 just from what I have counted from SDN posters since Nov 15th. They can only come out of the Match with one school, so all those seats will be reshuffled at Match time (with some applicants who didn't prematch getting a match seat) and to a lesser extent later on in the cycle as applicants get WL offers, or get OOS offers.

Pretty sure there was more than 10 of us at Temple, so your total numbers may be low. I want to say there was maybe 12 -15, but I could be wrong, it's been a long interview season.

I also interviewed in Temple, and there were at least 15 of us. Probably 15-20

Enmed folks... do you have any info on how many have been accepted in the program? How many IS/OOS?

So like @dodolol21 and @wysdoc pointed out, the prematch retention rate I used is probably too high. Maybe it'd be somewhere in the 20-30% range then?

@hhap1234 If we include 15 Temple people per week, then it comes out to 665 total interviews which is a more similar number to what they interviewed last year. I had just assumed 10 because usually as Tamu shrinks their class size they've historically interviewed less people.

So 665 total interviews (35x19)
Class size 100

100 prematches went out. 20 people keep theirs. 55-70 match spots open for MD depending on if you include 25 Enmed seats. 2:1 acceptance ratio, so 110-140 people will get acceptances here eventually out of the remaining 565 interviews. (~19%-25%).

Last edited:
Enmed folks... do you have any info on how many have been accepted in the program? How many IS/OOS?

All I remember from the interview was that 96 people are being interviewed for 25 spots. The distribution between OOS/IS was not mentioned.

25 EnMed students out of a class size of 100 sounds like a lot to me... Those of you who are in the EnMed crew, what is the goal for this program and/or for you personally? Are you going into biomedical engineering and you want to have an MD? Are you planning to do research & development? Is your BS in engineering and you just can't let it go? You can PM me if you prefer.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure with a decrease in class size overall they decreased the amount of ENMED spots as well.

So like @dodolol21 and @wysdoc pointed out, the prematch retention rate I used is probably too high. Maybe it'd be somewhere in the 20-30% range then?

@hhap1234 If we include 15 Temple people per week, then it comes out to 665 total interviews which is a more similar number to what they interviewed last year. I had just assumed 10 because usually as Tamu shrinks their class size they've historically interviewed less people.

So 665 total interviews (35x19)
Class size 100

100 prematches went out. 20 people keep theirs. 55-70 match spots open for MD depending on if you include 25 Enmed seats. 2:1 acceptance ratio, so 110-140 people will get acceptances here eventually out of the remaining 565 interviews. (~19%-25%).
I think the prematch retention at tamu is closer to 15%. I did not run into one tamu student who prematched on interview day. In the info sheet they gave us it showed that they accepted just over 300 students for the 150 spots, so I assume they will accept probably around 225-250 students this cycle. My guess is that there will be around 85-70 seats available on match day, which still is not a very good chance considering the 600+ interviewed. Although I think you have better chances if you went to ug at tamu, as I noticed a good amount of people on my interview day were from tamu, could be coincidence or whatnot. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people who did not prematch to tamu will rank tamu lower and match to other schools on match day which will help out.

I remember their information sheet showed that they accepted over half of the people they interviewed last year. hopefully it's the same as this year.

when did you interview with enmed, if you don't mind me asking?
Hey! Sorry if my post was confusing. I interviewed as an OOS for regular MD program. That's what I was told when I interviewed and I was specific in asking about EnMed because it is clear that they are prioritizing that program and I believe it will affect how many available OOS seats outside of EnMed.

Hey! Sorry if my post was confusing. I interviewed as an OOS for regular MD program. That's what I was told when I interviewed and I was specific in asking about EnMed because it is clear that they are prioritizing that program and I believe it will affect how many available OOS seats outside of EnMed.

Ahh gotcha! Yeah they did mention during the ENMED interview day that they're trying to attract the best talent and therefore want to have as many OOS that fit what they're looking for as possible. Tbh, I have no idea where ENMED is in terms of filling their class overall. They had their "pre-match" in mid october and it's been pretty silent on sdn since then with regards to the program. I hope everything works out for you!

I think the prematch retention at tamu is closer to 15%. I did not run into one tamu student who prematched on interview day. In the info sheet they gave us it showed that they accepted just over 300 students for the 150 spots, so I assume they will accept probably around 225-250 students this cycle. My guess is that there will be around 85-70 seats available on match day, which still is not a very good chance considering the 600+ interviewed. Although I think you have better chances if you went to ug at tamu, as I noticed a good amount of people on my interview day were from tamu, could be coincidence or whatnot. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people who did not prematch to tamu will rank tamu lower and match to other schools on match day which will help out.
I think the people at the interviews are usually aggies who love the place. But i feel like our class has lots of people from UT and or UT Dallas.

Reactions: 1 users
For people who interviewed for the Enmed program what were the interview questions like?