2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call as well, super excited to join you all in the fall! Accepted Air Force! Can’t wait to meet everyone
So were you in Hold before waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, it was great meeting future classmates at second look and hearing all of your stories. My girlfriend and I signed a lease for a place while at second look and I had a question for anyone who lives in the DC/Maryland Area.

Currently I have a truck and the girlfriend has a car. Seeing all of the available public transport and the horrendous drivers in DC (no offense), my girlfriend is thinking about selling the car and just relying on public transport once we move to DC. She was wondering how easy would this be and what would be some challenges she might face. We will be living in Rockville next to the shady grove metro. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Hi, there.

My 2 cents-- the Red line between shady grove and Bethesda seem to have constant issues with delays and single-tracking that get very frustrating.

Pros--
-there should still exist a program where you sign up for free metro rides to and from school (you may only travel this route).
-in morning traffic, it is much faster to get to NSAB from Shady Grove**
-you avoid the parking pass system
-any time you avoid time mingling with Maryland drivers, it's a win.
Cons--
-unreliable/unpredictable at times.
-you will need to be somewhere other than NSAB on occasion (i.e. simulation center).
-once the metro spits you out at NIH, it's a 15-20 minute walk to campus. There is a shuttle, but it's a 12-15 passenger van that arrives every 15-20 minutes.

it could definitely work out. I know people who were dropped off by significant other all of first 18 months.

I just realized that you were asking for what she would have to endure as the car-less person.. I'm sorry. My wife thought about doing this same thing, realized she would hate it and so didn't. She isn't from the area, so would have felt all the more isolated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All that info is good to know for the both of us, thanks again everyone!!
Hi, there.

My 2 cents-- the Red line between shady grove and Bethesda seem to have constant issues with delays and single-tracking that get very frustrating.

Pros--
-there should still exist a program where you sign up for free metro rides to and from school (you may only travel this route).
-in morning traffic, it is much faster to get to NSAB from Shady Grove**
-you avoid the parking pass system
-any time you avoid time mingling with Maryland drivers, it's a win.
Cons--
-unreliable/unpredictable at times.
-you will need to be somewhere other than NSAB on occasion (i.e. simulation center).
-once the metro spits you out at NIH, it's a 15-20 minute walk to campus. There is a shuttle, but it's a 12-15 passenger van that arrives every 15-20 minutes.

it could definitely work out. I know people who were dropped off by significant other all of first 18 months.

I just realized that you were asking for what she would have to endure as the car-less person.. I'm sorry. My wife thought about doing this same thing, realized she would hate it and so didn't. She isn't from the area, so would have felt all the more isolated.

Hey everyone, it was great meeting future classmates at second look and hearing all of your stories. My girlfriend and I signed a lease for a place while at second look and I had a question for anyone who lives in the DC/Maryland Area.

Currently I have a truck and the girlfriend has a car. Seeing all of the available public transport and the horrendous drivers in DC (no offense), my girlfriend is thinking about selling the car and just relying on public transport once we move to DC. She was wondering how easy would this be and what would be some challenges she might face. We will be living in Rockville next to the shady grove metro. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

It might be more reasonable for you to take the metro and her to have the car. The metro goes right to a stop across the street from NSAB, and there is a shuttle that goes from the stop to the campus (or you can walk if the weather is nice, since it's a nice walk and isn't too far). Some friends of mine who are M1s right now take the metro.

It might be more reasonable for you to take the metro and her to have the car. The metro goes right to a stop across the street from NSAB, and there is a shuttle that goes from the stop to the campus (or you can walk if the weather is nice, since it's a nice walk and isn't too far). Some friends of mine who are M1s right now take the metro.

Just remember that it adds time in the morning to get from Metro stop to campus. Even with the shuttle you should anticipate 20 minutes on a bad day (in case you just missed it or end up just walking). I was always an early morning studier on campus so I would always be coming in before the metro was even running. It is tough to tell what you are going to want to do until you are in it and understand you and your family's specific routine.

Just remember that it adds time in the morning to get from Metro stop to campus. Even with the shuttle you should anticipate 20 minutes on a bad day (in case you just missed it or end up just walking). I was always an early morning studier on campus so I would always be coming in before the metro was even running. It is tough to tell what you are going to want to do until you are in it and understand you and your family's specific routine.

I remember for interview day the shuttle from the metro stop to the campus was pretty filled when I came in around 7:30AM (still able to get on). Are there specific times during the day which are particularly busy where you find yourself having to walk because of limited space on the shuttle?

Just confirmed. They are going through primary waiting list first.

Yup.. potentially the secondary or tertiary waitlist. I’ll say secondary before I loop myself into depression

Yup.. potentially the secondary or tertiary waitlist. I’ll say secondary before I loop myself into depression

The order hasn’t changed. When the people who were already on the priority waitlist are exhausted then those who were moved up will start getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
The order hasn’t changed. When the people who were already on the priority waitlist are exhausted then those who were moved up will start getting in.

Does anyone know how many of these "secondary" waitlisters typically get in? Historically, is there any info on what percent get accepted and at what point during the summer this would happen? I'm fortunate enough to have a few acceptances at this point and just want to get an idea of my chance at this school so I can make plans accordingly.

Does anyone know how many of these "secondary" waitlisters typically get in? Historically, is there any info on what percent get accepted and at what point during the summer this would happen? I'm fortunate enough to have a few acceptances at this point and just want to get an idea of my chance at this school so I can make plans accordingly.

Can’t really give you that much info unfortunately. It depends on the year and which branch. More Army and Air Force folks get off the secondary list than Navy. But from what I’ve heard, all the primary waitlists were shorter this year. So I think there is a good shot for Army and AF to get off the secondary list. Navy might not be as likely.

Can’t really give you that much info unfortunately. It depends on the year and which branch. More Army and Air Force folks get off the secondary list than Navy. But from what I’ve heard, all the primary waitlists were shorter this year. So I think there is a good shot for Army and AF to get off the secondary list. Navy might not be as likely.
Any intel on why the primary waitlists were shorter this year? Was it the new AAMC CYMS tool or something else?

Any intel on why the primary waitlists were shorter this year? Was it the new AAMC CYMS tool or something else?

Apparently they were being more conservative this year. I'm sure the uncertainty surrounding the new rules had something to do with it.

How long did it take after your conditional acceptance to hear back about orders or an unconditional? All of my medical and security paperwork is good. TIA!

Seems like it's been a little quiet recently. Has anyone heard anything?

^ I was about to say the same thing. The silence is deafening.

Its almost like they are telling people who’ve been accepted to keep it on the down-low. OR now that they have more spaces they are looking at the waitlist again, doing some re-arrangements, and will start making calls pronto.

Its almost like they are telling people who’ve been accepted to keep it on the down-low. OR now that they have more spaces they are looking at the waitlist again, doing some re-arrangements, and will start making calls pronto.

They pull people off as spots open up. My guess is the relative silence is a combo of sample bias since only a small number of them people on the WL are on this thread and the movement not being super quick yet.

They pull people off as spots open up. My guess is the relative silence is a combo of sample bias since only a small number of them people on the WL are on this thread and the movement not being super quick yet.

I spoke with Ms. Wilsnack earlier today to confirm my waiver status since DODMERB is showing differently from what she has on her end. She mentioned there has been lots of movement lately, from all branches, and expect more to come in the following week.

I spoke with Ms. Wilsnack earlier today to confirm my waiver status since DODMERB is showing differently from what she has on her end. She mentioned there has been lots of movement lately, from all branches, and expect more to come in the following week.

There you go. Sample bias.

Yikes this makes me think I need to go double check my DODMERB status...

Edit: Good to go. Hoping I get one of those calls in the next week...

Last edited:
withdrew from all my other schools today except for USU. no turning back now or changing my mind. for you guys who are accepted and plan on matriculating see you in August

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know when orders get cut? Is it after you get your unconditional? After CTE?

In other news, how’s my waitlist fam doing?

ECDE4776-15EF-40E2-90BB-D7927E4B870B-2864-000001ED4BE64B19.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when orders get cut? Is it after you get your unconditional? After CTE?

I’ve been wondering the same. As former active duty, I’ve never actually wanted orders so badly!

I would expect them 1-3 weeks before ODS starts. This is prime orders season so things get a little short fused in May/June.

I would expect them 1-3 weeks before ODS starts. This is prime orders season so things get a little short fused in May/June.
Hmm. I won’t need to attend ODS so I wonder if that changes the timeline at all. You’re right about prime orders season... that definitely impacts things.

Got the call from Dr. Saguil this morning! So excited to be joining you all!

Reactions: 9 users
I may have to sign the paperwork for HPSP scholarship shortly and also undergo the COT if I plan to join thru another college.

Considering that I am not sure when I will hear back from USU, would I still be able to come back to USU once I hear the acceptance from USU . What would I have to do then to change over from HPSP to USU?

I may have to sign the paperwork for HPSP scholarship shortly and also undergo the COT if I plan to join thru another college.

Considering that I am not sure when I will hear back from USU, would I still be able to come back to USU once I hear the acceptance from USU . What would I have to do then to change over from HPSP to USU?
From what I was told from USU, once you commission through HPSP, you are not able to accept a spot at USU.

Congrats to those committing to enroll or got the call today! I am hoping I will join you soon.

How long does it take for an acceptance to show up on AMCAS?/When did you get an email after receiving a call?

How long does it take for an acceptance to show up on AMCAS?/When did you get an email after receiving a call?

It takes a few days. They have to convert your conditional to unconditional. It took about a week for me. I didn’t get an email until a few days later.

From what I was told from USU, once you commission through HPSP, you are not able to accept a spot at USU.
Yeah I thought at some point HPSP made you commit to going that route?

Congrats to those committing to enroll or got the call today! I am hoping I will join you soon.
Dude, same. I’m hitting CTE as soon as I get the call haha.
Edit: this all assumes I get the call in my fantasy universe at least :)

Last edited:
Did anyone else get the email about getting your fingerprints done

Dude, same. I’m hitting CTE as soon as I get the call haha.

Just to give you a heads up so you don’t get anxious when it’s doesn’t show up immediately, it takes a little while. Once you’re in the system as an unconditional acceptance and that’s transmitted to amcas, it’ll show up. It can take a little while even if you’re already qualified.