2018-2019 University of California - Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time poster. I'm in state, born and raised. Former Aggie. Submitted my Secondary the day I got it: 7/9. I haven't hear anything since. Anyone hear anything from a July submission?

They haven't given out any holds/rejects yet, and July people have gotten interview invites, if that's what you mean.

Members don't see this ad.

They haven't given out any holds/rejects yet, and July people have gotten interview invites, if that's what you mean.
I see. Yes, that was what I meant. Thank you for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was complete in late September. When can I expect a rejection or a II?
Honestly it depends. I was finished earlier August and didn’t get an II until October while others who were complete after me got invited earlier. I would say to give yourself until Dec/Jan!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Davis sends out all the acceptance calls (from one interview day) at the same time? For ex: if you interviewed on 10/5 and was accepted, then would you hear back about the acceptance on the same day as other who were accepted? Or could it be spread out? And if you don't hear back on the same day as others, does this mean you were waitlisted or rejected?

Does anyone know if Davis sends out all the acceptance calls (from one interview day) at the same time? For ex: if you interviewed on 10/5 and was accepted, then would you hear back about the acceptance on the same day as other who were accepted? Or could it be spread out? And if you don't hear back on the same day as others, does this mean you were waitlisted or rejected?
I don't think they do it on the same day. I've attended UCDSOM info sessions and they said they categorize apps in diff ways. I wouldn't worry. I think the order looks random to us from an outside perspective, but the adcoms have a system that works for them. We just have to be patient.

Am i the only one here still waiting on that secondary and starting to lose hope?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else from the 10/12 interview date heard back anything?

Verified with the first week, waited forever for secondary and finally complete 9/23, and got II 11/8. Only 2 available dates available date 1/11 & 1/18.
In state, and likely withdrawing soon, but wanted to give everyone waiting hope that they're still moving through apps! Stay positive- there's still lots of activity left in this cycle!!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they've sent post secondary rejections yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they've sent post secondary rejections yet?
I don't believe so, although someone correct me if I'm wrong. From last year's thread it appears that most post-secondary rejections came out in mid-January. This cycle, however, seems to be going a lot slower so who knows when we might expect to hear back!

Reactions: 1 users
I was raised in NorCal and have ties to Sac--I would love to interview here. Have been complete since early September.
I wonder how many interview spots are left

Just withdrew my interview here. Hope it goes to one of you :)

Reactions: 2 users
Nor-cal native, UCD alumni, stats/background in line with the school's mission and average etc... received and submitted secondary in mid July.......ghosted to this day....anybody else?

Nor-cal native, UCD alumni, stats/background in line with the school's mission and average etc... received and submitted secondary in mid July.......ghosted to this day....anybody else?
Yup. Same except not a UCD alum (but was also born and raised in Nor-cal)-- aand complete in July. Whomp. :)

Been lurking forever on here, but I'm finally getting antsy for an interview. I completed early October...hoping to hear something pre-Thanksgiving. CA resident with ties to Davis/Sacramento (did not attend Davis though) and LM score of 74. I got my secondary only 3 business days after my grades were verified, so hoping it is a good sign!

Yup. Same except not a UCD alum (but was also born and raised in Nor-cal)-- aand complete in July. Whomp. :)

Wow lol you guys have been waiting 2 months longer than me. It makes me think I need to be more patient.
But it is incredibly hard to know what EXACTLY they want in their 2019 entering class. Hopefully it is what we have. Good luck guys

Reactions: 4 users
II, complete 9/1/18. This is THE DREAM. Got the news at work and had to run to the bathroom so I could jump around without looking unprofessional ;) Currently they are scheduling into mid-January (earliest dates were Jan 11 and 18).

Reactions: 7 users
II, complete 9/1/18. This is THE DREAM. Got the news at work and had to run to the bathroom so I could jump around without looking unprofessional ;) Currently they are scheduling into mid-January (earliest dates were Jan 11 and 18).
Do you mind sharing stats? Congrats!

Do you mind sharing stats? Congrats!
Thanks! Sure thing: cGPA 3.77, sGPA 3.89, MCAT 508. I do social work in the Bay Area and I’d like to think that experience stood out more than some so-so numbers :)

Can someone who has access to the portal copy and paste the FAQ here? The person in the office said that they would create a page on the admissions page over a month ago but alas, nothing is there.

Congratulations!! you are super helpful on many school threads here so I am very happy that things are working out for you!

Can someone who has access to the portal copy and paste the FAQ here? The person in the office said that they would create a page on the admissions page over a month ago but alas, nothing is there.
Here ya go:

Q. As an applicant to UCD SOM, what is the best way to contact the Admissions Office?

The best and most timely way to contact the Admissions Office is through the Message Center in the applicant portal.

Q. Where can I find information about the status of my application?

The applicant portal serves as the primary source of information about the status of your application. The information posted is based upon real-time decisions made by the Admissions Committee. Should you call the Office of Admissions the staff has access to the same information you see on the portal and is unable to provide you with additional information about the status of your application. Link to the portal is https://applymd.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu

Q. Where do I find information about UC Davis School of Medicine?

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/admissions/

Q. Must I have a college degree to be admitted to medical school?

Each medical school has its own admission requirements and policies to answer this particular question. To be eligible to apply, UC Davis School of Medicine requires that each applicant complete a minimum of 90 semester hours or 135-quarter units of coursework from an accredited college or university here in the United States. It is expected for applicants offered admission to UCD SOM to have completed their bachelor's degree prior to the start of medical school.

Q. Will Advanced Placement (AP) credit fulfill the course requirements?

Check with each medical school as to how AP credit is handled. UC Davis School of Medicine will accept AP credit to satisfy the course requirements if it appears for credit on your transcript from an accredited college/university.

Q. Does UC Davis School of Medicine admit out-of-state and international students?

All applications will be considered for admission. As a state assisted public institution, preference for admission is given to residents of California.

Q. How do I apply to the Community Health Scholars programs (Rural-Prime, TEACH-MS, ACE-PC, Research-Prime, REACH) and Physician Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD)?

To apply to a CHS program, you must indicate 'Yes' to the specific program you are interterested in on the Community Health Scholars tab of the supplemental application in the applicant portal. You may apply to more than one CHS program.

To apply to the PSTP Program, you would have had to have marked the application type of Combined Medical Degree and Doctorate on your AMCAS Primary application.

Q. Am I able to begin working on the supplemental application and come back to it later after logging off?

Yes. Remember to save each section that you have completed before logging off. However, once you have completed the supplemental application and submitted it for processing you will no longer be able to update or edit the information.

Q. Where do I send the letters of recommendation?

Letters can be submitted via the AMCAS Letter Service. Please go to the following website for those instructions.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/amcas-letter-service/

Q. Who can I contact if I am having trouble completing my supplemental application?

You can send email the admissions office at [email protected].

Q. The experience section requires that I give an end date and number of hours for the activity. However, I am continuing with the experience. What do I do for number of hours and end date?

Please enter the expected end date. Calculate the number of hours based on the hours completed thus far. In the description, please note that you are continuing this activity.

Q. I paid my supplemental fee on-line. Why does it not show as being received in the applicant portal?

If you paid the application fee and it is not marked as received, please contact the admissions office with proof of receipt, and they will assist in marking it complete.

Q. What information will I need to complete the prerequisite section on the secondary materials?

You will need to provide the course name, number, grade, term (quarter or semester) and date of completion. If a course is pending (class is in progress or planned to be competed) then provide the month and year that you will complete that course and type in “pen” for pending as the grade. Remember that 1 year is equivalent to 2 semesters or 3 quarters; ½ year is equivalent to 1 semester or 2 quarters. The Admissions Committee strongly recommends that ALL premedical course requirements be completed no later than January 1 of the application cycle.

Q. Will I be able to send updates after submitting my secondary application?

No. Only when applicants are invited to interview will the Admissions Committee accept updates. Updates MUST be sent via the Message Center in the applicant portal and follow the character count limit. Attachments and additional letters of recommendation will not be accepted.

Q. Will my application go through a Criminal Background Check (CBC)?

Only those applicants offered admission will have their applications processed through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) CBC process. As a result, ALL offers of admission are CONDITIONAL until the Admissions Committee has received the report and reviewed its content for each admitted applicant. For more information about the process please go to https://students-residents.aamc.org...ol/article/criminal-background-check-service/

Note: It is suggested that applicants contact an attorney or Legal Aide representative to determine whether to disclose any information about felony or misdemeanor records as requested through the AMCAS application. The Office of Admissions is unable to answer any questions related to this subject.

Anyone still waiting to hear back on the student hosting program? Starting to get worried..

Decided to just get other rooming. Didn't seem solid about being able to accommodate through student housing. I believe I saw rooms/guest homes for around $60-$90 on AirBnB in the area if you want to check that.

Decided to just get other rooming. Didn't seem solid about being able to accommodate through student housing. I believe I saw rooms/guest homes for around $60-$90 on AirBnB in the area if you want to check that.

There is a courtyard marriot right across the street. If you call and ask about the UC Davis rate or are a AAA member, you can get a substantial discount (I spent ~$110).

Just making sure - is the med school area a safe distance from the fires this weekend? Hope people in this area/Paradise are okay.

Just making sure - is the med school area a safe distance from the fires this weekend? Hope people in this area/Paradise are okay.
Currently living in Davis next to Sacramento, I can say that you are safe. The area quality is very bad though. I recommend bringing a mask if you're sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

Thanks for the fast responses! Hope you’re all safe, and that you’re taking care of your lungs!

See you soon, Davis!

Last edited:
For thous of you living in the area, do we need to buy a mask for our coming up interviews?

For thous of you living in the area, do we need to buy a mask for our coming up interviews?
Yes they are selling out fast over here in the Bay Area. I imagine the smoke is worse in Sacramento.

Edit: if you minimize your time outside and you are only visiting a few days it might not be necessary.

Last edited:
Nope today marks 4 weeks for me and nothing
emoji24.png

Maybe because the campuses were closed last week, the admissions office was closed too? Campuses are closed this week too so...maybe we won't hear back this week either...[/QUOTE]

Maybe because the campuses were closed last week, the admissions office was closed too? Campuses are closed this week too so...maybe we won't hear back this week either...
[/QUOTE]

Ahh, that’s so true. I forgot that their campuses were closed. Maybe we won’t but I’m really hoping we do hear back.

I just got a delay in admissions email. It said they will meet again to discuss admissions early December.

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/12 gotten waitlist/rejection emails? This is the beginning of wk 6 for me and still no answer. I'm just trying to understand what is going on:(

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/12 gotten waitlist/rejection emails? This is the beginning of wk 6 for me and still no answer. I'm just trying to understand what is going on:(

I think the fires have messed with the admission's committee's ability to meet and make decisions. The school has been closed for non-essential employees.