2018-2019 University of California - Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone planning to call today? Someone mentioned we should call if we don’t hear back by now.

I tried calling earlier but no one picked up...I'll try again in a bit and let y'all know how it goes! Interviewed 9/14.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Ok, I gave in and called lol. I interviewed 9/21 and they say they'll let us know in 30 days so I felt justified haha...

Admissions said they have a different portal notification system this year so it's causing delays. She said call back a week from today if I still haven't heard. So more waiting, but I'm trying to stay optimistic! I really loved Davis at the interview so super hoping for an acceptance, as I'm sure most people are :)

Reactions: 5 users
Ok, I gave in and called lol. I interviewed 9/21 and they say they'll let us know in 30 days so I felt justified haha...

Admissions said they have a different portal notification system this year so it's causing delays. She said call back a week from today if I still haven't heard. So more waiting, but I'm trying to stay optimistic! I really loved Davis at the interview so super hoping for an acceptance, as I'm sure most people are :)

Yeah I just called and they said the same thing to me! They are a week delayed because of the portal. So in this case, no news is good news! We should hear back by next week.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for being brave enough to call! Good to know there’s still hope for us all

Those of you who have already interviewed at Davis and opted for the Student Clinic Tour, what did you wear to that?

Those of you who have already interviewed at Davis and opted for the Student Clinic Tour, what did you wear to that?
Per my host, each clinic has different vibes/levels of seriousness. I wore business casual to be safe, better to overdress a little than come across too casual. For my clinic, the preceptors wore casual/business casual/street clothes/scrubs and the medical students wore some degree of business casual with their white coats.

I wore business casual :)

Per my host, each clinic has different vibes/levels of seriousness. I wore business casual to be safe, better to overdress a little than come across too casual. For my clinic, the preceptors wore casual/business casual/street clothes/scrubs and the medical students wore some degree of business casual with their white coats.

Thanks guys! I was wondering if I needed to wear my full-blown suit for this or if I could rock a business casual look. Glad to hear it is the latter!

Last edited:
Anyone that didn't go to the student clinic get accepted?

Anyone that didn't go to the student clinic get accepted?
I think the clinic tour has no bearing on their decisions, I don’t think the med students running the clinic is part of the admissions team. Nor were the preceptors. My host made it a point to say I am no longer being evaluated after my interview and I believe it.

With all that said, I’m still waiting in silence

Reactions: 1 user
Would that make a difference? They said it was optional and I didn’t go because I had work the next day..

I'm not sure but my student host got in without attending the clinic tour, so I don't think it is anything you need to worry about :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone not get a secondary yet? My primary was verified mid august. Kind losing hope on this.

Has anyone gotten rejected/waitlisted yet?
Nope, low key worried that the portal delays were to tell us our rejection/waitlist status. It seems like people who were accepted already received their phonecalls.

Nope, low key worried that the portal delays were to tell us our rejection/waitlist status. It seems like people who were accepted already received their phonecalls.

I was thinking the same thing. They don't need the portal to tell someone they're accepted. Already accepting my fate.

I called on Monday and they said they are still sending out acceptances.
ughhh thank you that is good news.
I called today. No answer, I left a voicemail, but no one called me after that.

I'm lowkey paranoid (probs cause that's just me) but did anyone receive conformation after completing the post-interview survey? I filled it out the day after but it didn't have anywhere to put your name & I just want to make sure my application moves on to be reviewed. :(

I'm lowkey paranoid (probs cause that's just me) but did anyone receive conformation after completing the post-interview survey? I filled it out the day after but it didn't have anywhere to put your name & I just want to make sure my application moves on to be reviewed. :(
You’re not the only one paranoid. I thought that too for the longest time. And I was thinking the exact same thing, but after I called them and told them my AMCAS ID they said the whole thing about the portal so it means that we just gotta wait for now and they do have our application. Anyways though, what I’m paranoid about is that why would they need a portal to send acceptances!? :(

I didn’t receive confirmation of completing the survey... in fact they didn’t even put my date in the email, it said “thank you for joining us on [interview date]”

When you click on the link again it brings you to a new form. This tells me it’s not a unique form and they don’t truly track who completed the survey. Its most likely they said that so applicants would do it because they know a majority of us don’t fill them out and they want feedback.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone receive any secondary this week?

Verified for three months now. I guess no secondary for me from here.

Omg, half of the posts in this thread are about people throwing pity parties about not getting a secondary yet. 10/10 recommends that everyone who is concerned about not getting a secondary should look at previous posts and note that they still do send out secondaries through December. Sure, you may not have gotten one yet because the reality is that you can’t ALWAYS be at the top of a school’s admit list. However, that doesn’t mean that you won’t get a secondary.

The truth stings, but you can’t feel entitled to one because you think you’re a great candidate. You may just not be the top of their priority list in terms of what they are looking for this year.

Get mad at me, report me, idc but complaining doesn’t make things happen. Relax yourselves and just enjoy your life.

People are anxious and have every right to be. Everyone here has devoted countless hours of hard work/effort towards medical school. These few months make or break some individuals.

I agree that posting about it has no bearing on the outcome/ rate at which your app will be reviewed. But, it helps to see that others are not alone in that stage of the game, whether it be pre-secondary, pre-II, or post-II. As a future doctor, you should try and empathize with others.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 12 users
People are anxious and have every right to be. Everyone here has devoted countless hours of hard work/effort towards medical school. These few months make or break some individuals.

I agree that posting about it has no bearing on the outcome/ rate at which your app will be reviewed. But, it helps to see that others are not alone in that stage of the game, whether it be pre-secondary, pre-II, or post-II. As a future doctor, you should try and empathize with others.

Just my $0.02.
The one thing that does frustrate me is that these same people could scroll a few posts up and see the same questions/concerns. So much of threads are people asking the exact same thing which is frustrating.

Omg, half of the posts in this thread are about people throwing pity parties about not getting a secondary yet. 10/10 recommends that everyone who is concerned about not getting a secondary should look at previous posts and note that they still do send out secondaries through December. Sure, you may not have gotten one yet because the reality is that you can’t ALWAYS be at the top of a school’s admit list. However, that doesn’t mean that you won’t get a secondary.

The truth stings, but you can’t feel entitled to one because you think you’re a great candidate. You may just not be the top of their priority list in terms of what they are looking for this year.

Get mad at me, report me, idc but complaining doesn’t make things happen. Relax yourselves and just enjoy your life.

1. Those posts may help others.
2. I wonder if you would speak to people like this In person
3. Way to care about what others are going through "doc".
4. Just so you know I am not one of the people you we're referring to but I understand why they ask and actually hope they get what they want.
5. The place of a doctor in our society is not a hard ass ( I say this as someone in the military) but a healer and person with compassion for others. I hope you Check your ego and self-righteous attitude before you start dealing with patients.

Honestly, I would say this in a face to face conversation. Hearing people whine is not a fun experience and I’m tired of hearing people complain and rather than do something worthwhile with their time. If this was another school that says that they have a really quick turn around time and you still haven’t heard back, honestly, I wouldn’t be bothered. In fact, in other threads, I haven’t been bothered because I understand. But this school is known to screen, is known for a relatively slow turn around time, and have said that they still send out Secondaries later on in the process.

Sure, find solice in the fact that other people are experiencing the same thing but find solice in the fact that the school itself said that they send out secondaries through December. You call me a hardass, say that I have an attitude, and that I need to check my ego before dealing with patients. It’s called being realistic and honest with myself. You can’t deal with every person like they’re made of glass. That is a mistake. Treating everyone that way doesn’t always help people grow. I’ll admit, my approach doesn’t always help people grow either. Denying that is stupid.
But to me, there’s no point in complaining about these problems because I knew what I signed up for when I decided to go apply. I signed up for the waiting game. And you don’t dare get to try and coach me on how I should be in the future with patients because you can’t judge a person based on ONE post in a forum. The biggest thing I wanted people to take from my initial post was that they read the rest of the thread, think before they post and for people to realize that they can’t always be the best but that it’s not the end of the world if they aren’t.

Could I have been nicer about it? Maybe, but it’s clearly too late for that now, isn’t it. Besides, you’re dealing with applicants that know what they decided to get themselves involved with. In the past, present and future, patients and their families never signed up for the pain they went through/are going through/will go through. I’ll save my compassion for the people who need it.
I wish you all the best, good luck

I wish you all the best, good luck

Wow this was a surprisingly amicable turn of events. Congratulations everyone for actually being civil in the face of disagreement. For what's it worth, I think you both bring up some good points, but at the end of the day sometimes even patients need some tough love and as such they need to be told how it is.

The way I see it, UC Davis should always be a reacher school. I don't care if you have a 520 MCAT and 4.0 GPA that alone does not guarantee you a secondary or an interview. They screen specifically for fit, whether or not you're an instate applicant and I'm sure once they do give you a secondary you better impress them with your essays. Most people probably say the same thing like I want to help underserved communities Etc. Just saying that doesn't necessarily make it so. It's honestly just a talking point.

The question you should be asking yourself is What have you done or what are you actively doing to demonstrate your commitment to underserved communities? What are you going to do as a future med student / resident / attending? Specifically, what is your vision for the future and how will UC Davis help you get there?

One thing to keep in mind and what OP was probably trying to get at is even if you don't get into UC Davis, so what? There are so many less competitive schools out there that will make you just as prepared to take the boards and be a doctor. Sure it's not ideal and it does not have the glitz of UC Davis on your degree but you'll still realize your goal of being a physician in an underserved Community if your commitment to that ideal is as unwavering as you pledge in your application.

Something to think about but that was my take on OPs thought process. I also do not understand why people get so much anxiety over not hearing from this school. To me, it's like worrying about something that's out of your control which does not make a whole lot of sense. Life is too short!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There are so many less competitive schools out there that will make you just as prepared to take the boards and be a doctor.

So true. According to US news, UC Davis statistically had the lowest admit rate out of all the UCs, so I've made peace with the fact that I may not get in. All we can really do is continue to live our lives. Applying to medical school isn't everything, even though it may feel like it is.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ical-schools-with-the-lowest-acceptance-rates

Just chiming in here: I have to say that your post (@bigfloss) gave me a bit of comfort (side note: the waiting game is still rough post secondary-- I applied here two years ago, recieved a secondary in early July and was not rejected until May. UC Davis doesn't appear to be predictable regarding who they screen to recieve a secondary, II, or acceptance-- it's mostly about fit as mentioned by others previously). Anyway, I was taken by your post and was curious where else you were applying. I looked at your other 11 messages and noticed that they were all to UC Davis! It made me sad-- you clearly really like this school. I'm really rooting for you. As a reapplicant, I definitely thought I'd be used to the waiting game, but it's rough at any stage. As you said, applying to medical school isn't everything. The unfortunate investment that this process requires makes even the most chill people a bit neurotic... and that's ok! (3x Mcat taker myself-- and yeah sometimes the nerves get to me) lol.

On a separate note, I just got rejected post-interview. Davis didn't love me as much as I loved them. Damn. Good luck to everyone else!

Looks like they fixed the portal! Just got the R, interviewed 9/14. Hope the adcom is getting that OT paycheck

Post-interview acceptance here is like ~39-41% correct? Interviewing next month