2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally rejected today (if they already finished interviewing, we knew it was coming)
I am happy for the closure

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if you get a tablet as part of your tuition when you matriculate here? Trying to think ahead about whether to buy a surface/ipad for note taking

I can't find it online but I still have the paper copy they gave me. I'll upload it to this thread in a couple hours once I'm home for lunch.

Are you willing to upload it again?? For some reason it says it won’t load.

ucsdmatch1.jpg
ucsdmatch2.jpg

Are you willing to upload it again?? For some reason it says it won’t load.
I've tried directly uploading them instead of linking imgur

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if you get a tablet as part of your tuition when you matriculate here? Trying to think ahead about whether to buy a surface/ipad for note taking

Wanted to reiterate this question as well as wanted to ask if any current students had insights into how necessary a car ends up being during first year. Does anyone have advice on on-campus housing? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to reiterate this question as well as wanted to ask if any current students had insights into how necessary a car ends up being during first year. Does anyone have advice on on-campus housing? Thanks!

In addition to this, what do people with SOs do usually? Is there a location where couples often live or does the school offer any housing opportunities for these students?

@turndatwood @ncumpian One of my good friends currently attends UCSD SOM. A car is not necessary to get to/from class or the main hospital if you live in university-sponsored housing. That being said, southern California is definitely a lot nicer to explore if you have a car (but you could always Uber/Lyft too). On-campus housing is great (I have visited many times) and affordable for La Jolla. I believe students are guaranteed for 2 years and then move to different neighborhoods in SD for M3/4. People with SOs are able to get couples housing on-campus as well and it's pretty close to all the other grad student apts too.

Reactions: 2 users
@turndatwood @ncumpian One of my good friends currently attends UCSD SOM. A car is not necessary to get to/from class or the main hospital if you live in university-sponsored housing. That being said, southern California is definitely a lot nicer to explore if you have a car (but you could always Uber/Lyft too). On-campus housing is great (I have visited many times) and affordable for La Jolla. I believe students are guaranteed for 2 years and then move to different neighborhoods in SD for M3/4. People with SOs are able to get couples housing on-campus as well and it's pretty close to all the other grad student apts too.

Wow, that’s amazing. It’s even better than I’d hoped. Thank you!

Got some really helpful advice from the Admissions Office re: tablets/computers and budgeting for purchases:

"A tablet/computer is not included in the cost of attendance but if you max out your budget and need additional funding for this item, you may file a budget extension. Keep in mind, as an incoming student, we CANNOT extend the budget for anything purchased more than 30 days before the start of classes in FA19 and all receipts must show proof of purchase by the student. That is to say, don’t pay cash and don’t use a family member’s credit card.

I believe the school offers loaner laptops for occasional use but nothing you would want to rely on for daily studies."

Reactions: 4 users
Got some really helpful advice from the Admissions Office re: tablets/computers and budgeting for purchases:

"A tablet/computer is not included in the cost of attendance but if you max out your budget and need additional funding for this item, you may file a budget extension. Keep in mind, as an incoming student, we CANNOT extend the budget for anything purchased more than 30 days before the start of classes in FA19 and all receipts must show proof of purchase by the student. That is to say, don’t pay cash and don’t use a family member’s credit card.

I believe the school offers loaner laptops for occasional use but nothing you would want to rely on for daily studies."

Did they say what form this budget extension would come in? Loan? Grant?

Did they say what form this budget extension would come in? Loan? Grant?

AFAIK, this is true at any school and is federally regulated: Your cost of attendance can be increased by a computer purchase, in your name (with your card etc), bought within a month of classes. So your COA is bigger, which means you can take out extra loan money.

Do you have to pay a quarter of tuition over the summer in M3/M4? I can't find it on their website

has anyone heard back about merit aid? they said at the latest mid april but trying to gauge if im already out of the game at this point

has anyone heard back about merit aid? they said at the latest mid april but trying to gauge if im already out of the game at this point

Out of curiosity, is this separate from the financial aid package? I received that about a week ago and was ~10 days after I submitted my FA application.

Out of curiosity, is this separate from the financial aid package? I received that about a week ago and was ~10 days after I submitted my FA application.

Yes I believe it is. The FA package is for need based aid and loans only. I was told during my interview day that merit would come out in mid April but idk...

Is merit aid usually in the form of institutional grants/scholarships, or are there types of merit aid that you would have to repay after graduating?

Is merit aid usually in the form of institutional grants/scholarships, or are there types of merit aid that you would have to repay after graduating?

I believe merit will be in the form of a grant

Does anyone know if UCSD will provide feedback post-rejection?

Does anyone know if UCSD will provide feedback post-rejection?

They do not provide feedback, as far as I’m aware. But I’m not sure if you can call to ask.

Do you have to pay a quarter of tuition over the summer in M3/M4? I can't find it on their website
Here is a link to the student budget for 2018-2019, you do have to pay tuition for the summer in the M2/ M3 years: https://medschool.ucsd.edu/admissions/financial-aid/Documents/SOM Student Budgets 2018-19(2).pdf

I called financial aid to ask about this and they said that they scale your financial aid each year to account for the increased COA of attendance in M2 and M3.

Has anyone heard back regarding PRIME--HEq since the 2/14 interview??

Has anyone heard any confirmation about second look after they filled out the google sheet?

Has anyone heard back regarding PRIME--HEq since the 2/14 interview??

I emailed the program coordinator about this! Looks like they're reviewing applications now and will reach out to students soon.

I am counting down the days until we have the chance to get off the waitlist here! Here’s hoping us WLers can get some good news in May!

Reactions: 2 users
I am counting down the days until we have the chance to get off the waitlist here! Here’s hoping us WLers can get some good news in May!

I’m with you in every way.

Does anyone have any idea how the second look went? I was unable to attend, but I am seeing mixed messages about it?

Does anyone have any idea how the second look went? I was unable to attend, but I am seeing mixed messages about it?
As a waitlisted applicant, would love to hear about second look impressions as well. Feel free to PM if you don’t want to post here!

overall, i liked it, but I think the mixed messages are referring to the administration/current med students not being super present throughout the weekend. it seemed like they weren't trying super hard to recruit people to come but instead relying on the beauty of san diego to do a lot of that recruiting for them. the other people i met were super nice and great (other currently admitted students)

Reactions: 3 users
overall, i liked it, but I think the mixed messages are referring to the administration/current med students not being super present throughout the weekend. it seemed like they weren't trying super hard to recruit people to come but instead relying on the beauty of san diego to do a lot of that recruiting for them. the other people i met were super nice and great (other currently admitted students)
Did you also feel like it would be hard to make friends here? I felt like a lot of the current med students had said everyone is pretty involved in their own life (which happens all places) but they described it in a way that made it seem like the current classes arent super social with each other/it can be isolating to be there

I was there and honestly, I left with a much better impression than I did at interview day. During interview day, I felt like we were just seeing glimpses of the facilities and other topical things.

But second visit day was much better in terms of letting us see the kinds of opportunities that we could have as SD students. They spoke of the variety of research opportunities we would have, without having to compete with another medical school in SD County. For example, they mentioned how some students have done research with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography which I thought was really cool.

We visited the anatomy labs, which we couldn’t do at interview, and it was just a pretty standard room, nothing fancy. The Jacobs Medical Center though...was gorgeous. Looks brand new, almost like a hotel. Peds ward was top notch, PACU was top of the line, and though we didn’t get to explore its ED, it also was brand new.

All of the students I spoke with seemed to legitimately enjoy their time at UCSD. Many quizzes and some midterms are on Fridays, which is nice, but a majority of these midterms are on Mondays. There wasn’t a single person who didn’t have a strong school-life balance, and had many opportunities to pursue their own interests. The true Pass/Fail of the first two years helped them get to know each other and build camaraderie, which is nice, and all lectures are podcasted.

One student told me that there are really only 2 hours/day that you HAVE to be on campus, but as to which courses these are for, idk.

Student interest groups were lively. A nice variety for sure, from child neuro to “Students in Relationships” to “Students Against Gun Violence,” there seemed to be a diverse selection and room to build more.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?

where are you seeing mixed messages? I was there and im curious as to what everyone else thought

I felt as though the students were around for pretty much every event, and a pretty decent amount of them as well. Of course, everyone will have a slightly different experience, but I think the current students seemed really happy and cohesive as a class. They were around, but gave us space to get to know our potential classmates, which is honestly more important IMO. If they were trying harder to convince us, I would've felt as though it was staged/forced. I personally had a good time, and my only qualm was that the hospital tour they gave was on a Saturday morning and the hospital was a ghost town.

Did you also feel like it would be hard to make friends here? I felt like a lot of the current med students had said everyone is pretty involved in their own life (which happens all places) but they described it in a way that made it seem like the current classes arent super social with each other/it can be isolating to be there

I actually got the complete opposite impression. Everyone was really approachable, from fellow admits to current M1s. Current students were really solid people who I noticed were making plans to hang out after Second Visit day was over. But honestly, this admit class is dope. Everyone I talked to was really outgoing and fun.

To add to some other people's comments, I did not get the impression that the current med students were not involved in the events. Faculty/staff maybe, but I saw plenty of current M1s and felt ample opportunity to talk to them about many topics relating to living in SD, their backgrounds, their experience so far, etc.

Also, I felt that the class was extremely social and well-connected. To quote a couple of the students I spoke to, they said they "have had the opportunity to meet and even work with almost everyone in [their] class" and that there is "no face in [their] class that was unfamiliar". I didn't get the impression that the culture of the school was that of being isolated, although I guess your mileage may vary based on your own social style and behavioral preferences.

I was there and honestly, I left with a much better impression than I did at interview day. During interview day, I felt like we were just seeing glimpses of the facilities and other topical things.

But second visit day was much better in terms of letting us see the kinds of opportunities that we could have as SD students. They spoke of the variety of research opportunities we would have, without having to compete with another medical school in SD County. For example, they mentioned how some students have done research with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography which I thought was really cool.

We visited the anatomy labs, which we couldn’t do at interview, and it was just a pretty standard room, nothing fancy. The Jacobs Medical Center though...was gorgeous. Looks brand new, almost like a hotel. Peds ward was top notch, PACU was top of the line, and though we didn’t get to explore its ED, it also was brand new.

All of the students I spoke with seemed to legitimately enjoy their time at UCSD. Many quizzes and some midterms are on Fridays, which is nice, but a majority of these midterms are on Mondays. There wasn’t a single person who didn’t have a strong school-life balance, and had many opportunities to pursue their own interests. The true Pass/Fail of the first two years helped them get to know each other and build camaraderie, which is nice, and all lectures are podcasted.

One student told me that there are really only 2 hours/day that you HAVE to be on campus, but as to which courses these are for, idk.

Student interest groups were lively. A nice variety for sure, from child neuro to “Students in Relationships” to “Students Against Gun Violence,” there seemed to be a diverse selection and room to build more.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?

Your post is super helpful! Thank you!

Can you speak to if any of the students talked about using the shuttle to commute to campus if they didn’t live in the grad student housing?

Also, what did the MS1s have planned for their first summer? Research? Work? Vacation?

Thanks!!

Your post is super helpful! Thank you!

Can you speak to if any of the students talked about using the shuttle to commute to campus if they didn’t live in the grad student housing?

Also, what did the MS1s have planned for their first summer? Research? Work? Vacation?

Thanks!!

To jump in, I got the impression that a lot of students had cars/had roommates who had cars. I personally didn't hear much about the shuttle. For summer, the four or five MS1s I spoke to, 4/5 had research planned, 1 planned to travel.

To jump in, I got the impression that a lot of students had cars/had roommates who had cars. I personally didn't hear much about the shuttle. For summer, the four or five MS1s I spoke to, 4/5 had research planned, 1 planned to travel.

+1