2018-2019 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any current UCCOM Med students (paying OOS tuition& costs) on this thread? I'm heading there next week and I just now checked the COA for OOS for M2 and M3 and damn near had a heart attack. I know I should probably worry about this stuff with an acceptance in hand first but the possible debt load from here (at least as an OOS student) seems INSANE (370K+). Please help me calm my worries.

In addition to being able to reclassify as an Ohio resident after 1 year, if you don't mind a 10-15 min commute you can live across the river in KY and get immediate in-state tuition--no waiting period.

Members don't see this ad.

In addition to being able to reclassify as an Ohio resident after 1 year, if you don't mind a 10-15 min commute you can live across the river in KY and get immediate in-state tuition--no waiting period.
Could you elaborate on that? Never heard of this option?

Could you elaborate on that? Never heard of this option?

So at UCCOM as an OOS student, you are able to either live in OH for a year and, provided you meet certain qualifications RE: independent status, not leaving the state for more than a certain amount of time, etc. you can reclassify as an OH resident for tuition purposes as an M2.

Alternatively, for reasons not entirely known to me, you can live in KY (or IN, but let's be real) and qualify for immediate reclassification and pay IS tuition (plus like $300 per year). There are also fewer restrictions in terms of qualification for this option (e.g. no checking bank records, etc.) However, if you decide in a future year to move to OH, you must still go through one year of OOS tuition before being reclassified as an OH resident for IS tuition.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So at UCCOM as an OOS student, you are able to either live in OH for a year and, provided you meet certain qualifications RE: independent status, not leaving the state for more than a certain amount of time, etc. you can reclassify as an OH resident for tuition purposes as an M2.

Alternatively, for reasons not entirely known to me, you can live in KY (or IN, but let's be real) and qualify for immediate reclassification and pay IS tuition (plus like $300 per year). There are also fewer restrictions in terms of qualification for this option (e.g. no checking bank records, etc.) However, if you decide in a future year to move to OH, you must still go through one year of OOS tuition before being reclassified as an OH resident for IS tuition.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Whaaa? that's crazy! I don't understand how living in KY or IN classifies as OH resident for tuition purposes, so interesting! But this is really good to know. Thanks!

Whaaa? that's crazy! I don't understand how living in KY or IN classifies as OH resident for tuition purposes, so interesting! But this is really good to know. Thanks!

Only certain counties in Indiana (up until Indianapolis) but anywhere in Kentucky. They were explaining the reasoning on interview day. I think it had something to do with bringing more people to Ohio but can't remember for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! OOS, Complete 07/21, update uploaded 09/16. I guess it might've worked, haha. Only date offered was Halloween!

II just now! OOS, Complete 07/21, update uploaded 09/16. I guess it might've worked, haha. Only date offered was Halloween!

Question...what kind of updates can you send. If I've done a volunteer event and went to a talk does that constitute as an update or does it have to be something more major. Just curious.

II just now, OOS! Stats in signature, complete 8/2 (date was chosen for me: Halloween!)

Question...what kind of updates can you send. If I've done a volunteer event and went to a talk does that constitute as an update or does it have to be something more major. Just curious.

Those activities would not warrant an update. Examples of appropriate times to send an update include having a paper accepted for publication, presenting at a conference, winning a big award, etc.

I relocated to a new area and wanted to provide an update of the new work and volunteer experiences I was doing. If it isn’t something big I wouldn’t send an update until later and in that update just let them know what you are still doing and then any additional things.

Those activities would not warrant an update. Examples of appropriate times to send an update include having a paper accepted for publication, presenting at a conference, winning a big award, etc.

I relocated to a new area and wanted to provide an update of the new work and volunteer experiences I was doing. If it isn’t something big I wouldn’t send an update until later and in that update just let them know what you are still doing and then any additional things.

@Neoneji123 I would agree with the above and have something a bit more substantial to update with. My update was basically a mass update with grades from summer courses, a new job/clinical responsibilities, a new research poster + presentation, and a traffic ticket I just got (only Cincy asks for this afaik lol).

[[Also if the Neji in your screen name is a reference to Naruto Neji then u da bes. Neji is my fave character lol.]]

Members don't see this ad :)
@Neoneji123 I would agree with the above and have something a bit more substantial to update with. My update was basically a mass update with grades from summer courses, a new job/clinical responsibilities, a new research poster + presentation, and a traffic ticket I just got (only Cincy asks for this afaik lol).

[[Also if the Neji in your screen name is a reference to Naruto Neji then u da bes. Neji is my fave character lol.]]

Nah, Rock Lee da best

II earlier yesterday! Scheduled for 10/31 and also have the diversity interview day on 10/30 (this is new to me)

Might have to see if I can reschedule though

Has anyone had any trouble uploading a photo onto the Interview Confirmation page? It won't accept that my file is JPG, even though that is exactly what it is asking for.

Yes haha. I love Naruto and Neji is my fav character too ;)

Did anyone who interviewed get info on financial aid beyond the establishing residency for IS? They didn't really talk about it in depth

Did anyone who interviewed get info on financial aid beyond the establishing residency for IS? They didn't really talk about it in depth

They give need based scholarships and grants as well. Not sure about merit based ones.

II for Halloween! OOS, URM, LM~70, complete 7/17

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, does anybody know how long the interview is? I have a check-in time, but they didn't provide the entire schedule. I'm wondering if it will take ~ 5 hours as the sample one they sent. Thanks!

Hey, does anybody know how long the interview is? I have a check-in time, but they didn't provide the entire schedule. I'm wondering if it will take ~ 5 hours as the sample one they sent. Thanks!

Went from 7:40 am till like 1:30/2 pm. Would've ended earlier but my interview day had some technical issues

II this morning! Scheduled for mid-October, complete mid/late-August.

Did anyone with a scheduled interview put information in the additional box? Is this assuming the interviewers will not have read my secondary responses/have access to it after? I just don't want to repeat myself lol

According to last year's data they have a 77% post interview acceptance rate. I feel like that's way too high though...
Did anyone with a scheduled interview put information in the additional box? Is this assuming the interviewers will not have read my secondary responses/have access to it after? I just don't want to repeat myself lol

this school does MMI, your interviewers won't even know who you are. The adcoms evaluating your app will have this information though.

According to last year's data they have a 77% post interview acceptance rate. I feel like that's way too high though...

this school does MMI, your interviewers won't even know who you are. The adcoms evaluating your app will have this information though.
Yes Im aware! But Im wondering if I should repeat anything on my secondary in that box or if it would be redundant because they'll have a chance to see it after.

Yes Im aware! But Im wondering if I should repeat anything on my secondary in that box or if it would be redundant because they'll have a chance to see it after.

Nope they'll see your secondaries as well from what I was told on interview day so it's just anything extra you might have not had a chance to share yet!

Yeeeee II today :) Love this school!! OOS / Complete end of July

I'm a current M1 but I was in class when it happened, it was super bizarre

The timing worked out at that we weren't in the middle of a station when it happened at least haha so I don't think it impacted performance much.

MSTP II just now through phone call, complete 9/12, OOS, LizzyM: 76
Do they also send out an email that you got an interview invite as well? I tend to not pick up calls if the phone number is not already in my contacts since I get so many spam calls...

Do they also send out an email that you got an interview invite as well? I tend to not pick up calls if the phone number is not already in my contacts since I get so many spam calls...
They do send an email

Hey, y'all. I can't fly back home the day of my interview. Would it be okay to send them an email about staying with a student host that day, or is it too much? Usually these opportunities are available only for the night before the interview, and I already have accommodations for that day.

Hey, y'all. I can't fly back home the day of my interview. Would it be okay to send them an email about staying with a student host that day, or is it too much? Usually these opportunities are available only for the night before the interview, and I already have accommodations for that day.
I can't either because my day ends too late since I check in at noon so I sent an email regarding a student host for the night after my interview, but no response yet. Wouldn't hurt to ask and I guess worst case scenario would be hotel/airbnb

I can't either because my day ends too late since I check in at noon so I sent an email regarding a student host for the night after my interview, but no response yet. Wouldn't hurt to ask and I guess worst case scenario would be hotel/airbnb

Thank you. Yes, same here. My interview is also in the afternoon. I will email them; hopefully they say yes. Were you able to change the date of your interview?

Thank you. Yes, same here. My interview is also in the afternoon. I will email them; hopefully they say yes. Were you able to change the date of your interview?
They did offer me dates into November, but I decided to just keep my original date since flight prices ended up being about the same (and to not prolong the wait into November lol)

They did offer me dates into November, but I decided to just keep my original date since flight prices ended up being about the same (and to not prolong the wait into November lol)

Awesome, I'll see you there then :).

OOS II on 10/4. Complete 8/17 and LizzyM 76.

I am going to take an extra couple days off of work and explore the Cincinnati campus and area before my interview. For alums and current medical students, do you have any advice or recommendations for me? I would like to see libraries, popular study spaces, cool local features, maybe cruise some of the common neighborhoods where students like to live and see how safe/comfortable it feels, etc. Also I love food so I would appreciate any restaurant recommendations!

Thanks in advance for your help. I love everything I've heard about the school so far, so I'm excited to get further acquainted with the area and make sure it's a good fit.

i heard they're about 1/3 through IIs, planning to interview through January.
i was complete end of August - haven't heard anything

OOS II on 10/4. Complete 8/17 and LizzyM 76.

I am going to take an extra couple days off of work and explore the Cincinnati campus and area before my interview. For alums and current medical students, do you have any advice or recommendations for me? I would like to see libraries, popular study spaces, cool local features, maybe cruise some of the common neighborhoods where students like to live and see how safe/comfortable it feels, etc. Also I love food so I would appreciate any restaurant recommendations!

Thanks in advance for your help. I love everything I've heard about the school so far, so I'm excited to get further acquainted with the area and make sure it's a good fit.

Check out Covington, just across the river from Cincy. Great city to live in for immediate in-state tuition as an OOS student if you get in. The Mainstrasse area is great. In Cincy, the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood is a must-see with lots of shops & restaurants.

Does anyone know what time we will hear today or whether it is via email or phone call? Interviewed on 8/28, so hopefully I'll hear soon!

Does anyone know what time we will hear today or whether it is via email or phone call? Interviewed on 8/28, so hopefully I'll hear soon!
At my interview day they said starting around noon they will be calling people for acceptances.