2018-2019 University of Massachussetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II Friday! Complete end of September!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! In-state, submitted 8/13 and complete 8/21. It was scheduled for early January.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted on Monday after receiving 'still under consideration' email on 10/17 and interviewing on 10/02.

OOS but went to school in Boston and have been here for 5 years. After I got the email on 10/17, I wrote a letter of interest and just honestly conveyed how much I loved the school on my interview day and wanted to be here. Didn't sugar coat it, just gave the app updates I had and expressed my strong and sincere interest. For anyone else who really loved this school and got that same email, there's still hope - keep the faith and don't be afraid to let them know.

Not usually a big forum guy, but I'm on my second cycle and I know from experience that a lot of people read these when they're looking for answers during this crazy process. Hope it helps someone!

Reactions: 4 users
I guess it depends on your definition of "good". It's certainly better than a rejection but it means that they've looked over your full app and aren't willing to accept you outright based on the pool you were compared with. From my understanding they just insert you into the next round of deliberations. If there's anything you can update them with that's of significance, I think now would be the time to do it, so that your app looks better compared to the next pool. I think based on what apindian said, we can assume he didn't get in after the "under active consideration" message but I'm not exactly sure how many do or what percentage does.
hey! From reading the 2017-2018 thread, it seems like "under consideration" actually means that they have not presented your case for deliberations yet, and when they present it they make a decision of acceptance/rejection/waitlist. Idk though this could just be a bunch of applicants talking in circles!

hey! From reading the 2017-2018 thread, it seems like "under consideration" actually means that they have not presented your case for deliberations yet, and when they present it they make a decision of acceptance/rejection/waitlist. Idk though this could just be a bunch of applicants talking in circles!

Hey, thanks for looking into that! That wasn’t my understanding from how they described it in their presentation on interview day but I may have misunderstood. Either way, i don’t think you can call it a “good” thing. At best it is totally neutral, in the sense that they just haven’t discussed your app at the meeting at all. Definitely better than a rejection!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that interviewed on 10/10 heard back?
Not yet! Have you received an "under consideration" email? Because I haven't. I think we will hear back soon though because people who interviewed on 10/02 are getting acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like the 10/24 group probably won’t be hearing back till after thanksgiving :(

Considering many from the 8/20 group haven't heard anything I'd say it will be long after Thanksgiving

You haven't heard anything from 8/20 at all? Not even a "still under consideration" type thing? They said to reach out if you do not hear from them to check the status so I would do that. It's been almost 3 months!

You haven't heard anything from 8/20 at all? Not even a "still under consideration" type thing? They said to reach out if you do not hear from them to check the status so I would do that. It's been almost 3 months!
I did get an under consideration e-mail back in September! That seems so long ago now hahaha

Just got a "still under active consideration" email. Anyone else from 10/24 get that? Or from that date get an acceptance/rejection?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a "still under active consideration" email. Anyone else from 10/24 get that? Or from that date get an acceptance/rejection?
got rejection email just now from 10/25 interview. You still have a shot, good luck!

I also got this. Interviewed on the same day.

Accepted into the MD program via email, II 10/25. LM 70. OOS ORM. Super stoked! Heard back on the 9th in the afternoon but couldn’t believe it

Reactions: 3 users
Anything from those on 10/10? Even an active consideration?

Anyone who interviewed here remember how to send thank you note in? Is it thru the portal or emailing admissions directly?

Anyone who interviewed here remember how to send thank you note in? Is it thru the portal or emailing admissions directly?

If I'm not mistaken you should direct it to room S-1-300. To Admissions.

Oh and I just remembered. Direct it to Brenda, whose room is s-1-300.

General question and I’m not sure where to post it... but since I’m a MA resident and praying for umass since I’m sitting on ZERO interviews, figured I’d ask it here. When do all schools typically stop sending interview invites? Does it vary from school to school? Just wondering when I should start really considering my plan B as a reality :(

General question and I’m not sure where to post it... but since I’m a MA resident and praying for umass since I’m sitting on ZERO interviews, figured I’d ask it here. When do all schools typically stop sending interview invites? Does it vary from school to school? Just wondering when I should start really considering my plan B as a reality :(
I looked at the UMass thread from last cycle and the last II was received in mid Feb

Last edited:
MSTP II today. Complete first week of September. LM: 76. OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed the first day and haven't heard anything since the under review email in September. Is it appropriate to call inquiring about what's going on/ if no email in months means an R?

I interviewed the first day and haven't heard anything since the under review email in September. Is it appropriate to call inquiring about what's going on/ if no email in months means an R?

Yea, I would definitely email or call them to check the status.