2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that a good number of IIs are still waiting to be sent out, most of which are likely in state. They do begin to slow down toward the end of the cycle, but previous years show interview invites still being sent out through January. For example, last year they sent out small batches of IIs all the way until January 29th.

Interesting to know about the reason for the big decrease in last year's IIs. Thanks for the insight!
Well, I personally know about 12 IS Michigan grads who recieved IIs , so I am starting to give up hope. I feel like they are aiming for around 450-470 invites. Keep it around that 5.5%

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I personally know about 12 IS Michigan grads who recieved IIs , so I am starting to give up hope. I feel like they are aiming for around 450-470 invites. Keep it around that 5.5%

That could be. If we consider their 5-year average of 538 II/year and then subtract ~50 for the MSTP invites (the MD/PhD admissions website states that they interview approx. 50/year), that leaves ~488 MD-only IIs per year average. However, the current number on the tracker (418 to date) might include many MSTP invites. As MedLKid mentioned, the twitter account has only announced ~360 so far. So there's a chance we still have 100+ MD interviews left to be scheduled. Just staying optimistic. haha

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any tips for the pre-interview app (confirmation form)? Can you repeat info from your primary/secondary? And should you send back in two weeks like a secondary?
I don't remember how long it took me, but more than a few weeks. Admissions will send you a weekly email asking you to complete it. I think it gives a deadline - something like "if you don't do it by x time, your interview date may be given away." That said, I don't know how serious they are about it. Use the Michigan HIPAA, it's the easiest.

If you read this thread from before - I had some comments on the "fun fact." I feel a little more justified now. When you interview, your picture will be on just about every scrolling TV in the hospital with your fun fact. The ones on my day ranged from legit things like "speaks 5 languages" to less serious like "can use a bostaff." I'm a proponent of the less serious ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just getting on now but received an II last week. IS, LizzyM 71! This is my top choice so I'm over the moon. Dates available on the 7th and 14th of December

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Are they receptive to updates? Complete end of July and OOS. My stats are in their range and absolutely love the school

Currently preparing for an upcoming interview and struggling to know how to prepare for current events/questions not about myself/my application. Any tips anyone can offer?

Reactions: 1 users
Welp, 13 IIs today. Looks like it is game over on this end :(

Currently preparing for an upcoming interview and struggling to know how to prepare for current events/questions not about myself/my application. Any tips anyone can offer?
Most of my questions were about my application. My advice:
Read Medscape or some other news aggregator to get a feel for what's going on in medicine, and pay attention to medical stories on other outlets (not the sensational ones)

Have some great questions prepared for your faculty interviewer and student interviewer; either about the school/program or about medicine in general. I blanked on these by the last one, and ran out of questions. Expect that portion to be a solid 5-10 minutes.

How do you figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two weeks ago someone posted that the dates the had in terms of choice for II was December 7 and 14. After that Michigan only has two II dates, one in January and one in February. They see anywhere between 25-35 people per interview so I figured my chances are about nill now

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Thanks for the analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the twitter post, Michigan sent out 380 II till now this year. I believe they send out around 450 past years, I am hoping that they would send out more.

Just a heads up y'all. I know they frontload their OOS interviews so people don't have to fly in during the snowy months. Interviews from this point will probably be majority IS applicants :(

Just a heads up y'all. I know they frontload their OOS interviews so people don't have to fly in during the snowy months. Interviews from this point will probably be majority IS applicants :(
:)

Oh UMich, I was so optimistic when the cycle started. Little did I know

Reactions: 4 users
When do They start sending out MD rejections?

January, it seems from the 2017-18 thread. I'm OOS and already have considered this a rejection after being complete late July. No longer rooting for Harbaugh and the wolverines.

October interviewee here; so pumped for our cohort to hear admission decisions this week! Michigan seems amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
From the admissions website it looks like the remaining interview days are: Nov 16, Nov 30, Dec 7, Dec 14, Jan 18, Feb 1. Anyone know what dates they’re scheduling at this point? I’m not IS, but still trying to hold on to some hope.

I think they schedule about a month out (at least based on when I received mine and when dates were available), so probably the last of the Dec. 14th invites went out yesterday and the remainder of the invites will be for Jan and Feb.

Who else from the October interviews was really hoping they were going to release decisions a day early like last year?

Who else from the October interviews was really hoping they were going to release decisions a day early like last year?
+1000

Do they also do midnight releases for second wave decisions? Couldn’t tell from last year’s thread.

+1000

Do they also do midnight releases for second wave decisions? Couldn’t tell from last year’s thread.

I was wondering the same thing...I know I'm about to stay up the whole night refreshing my email if it doesn't come right after midnight lol

I was wondering the same thing...I know I'm about to stay up the whole night refreshing my email if it doesn't come right after midnight lol
I checked the time stamps on last year's acceptances. People were posting between noon and 1pm EST. That said, it was the day before so I don't know how accurate of predictor last year will be.

are acceptance emails sent out at the same time? wondering if because i didnt get one yet i can just safely assume i caught the R

Reactions: 2 users
are acceptance emails sent out at the same time? wondering if because i didnt get one yet i can just safely assume i caught the R
Didn’t receive an official email yet, I’ve heard in the past those are sent after midnight.

I can maybe shed some light on why offers and emails can come at different times. The UMich admissions office lets current medical students call/FaceTime accepted applicants who are personal friends of theirs to tell them the good news. Then, at some point afterwards, the emails go out to everyone who was accepted, whether they got a call or not. I can't speak to when emails will go out, though last round of acceptances went out around midnight. This was the earliest that acceptances could go out because of the 10/15 mandate, so this may or may not be indicative of future timing. Best of luck everyone!

Didn’t receive an official email yet, I’ve heard in the past those are sent after midnight.

I haven’t received the official email yet either. Just a phone call this afternoon

I’ve heard nothing at 12:18am CT so I’m guessing this is a bad thing?

I’ve heard nothing at 12:18am CT so I’m guessing this is a bad thing?
I don’t think so. Judging by the lack of responses thus far, I’m assuming Michigan isn’t sending admissions decisions until later in the day.

Also just got official acceptance!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted! Thank you Lord, I'm so thrilled, I can hardly believe it. I'm going to be a doctor! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted! Top choice, hope to see some of you here next year :)

Reactions: 7 users
I got a phone call yesterday!! So so so happy

Still waiting for an official email

So does not everyone get phone calls? Did people who got phone calls get them from individuals they knew?

So does not everyone get phone calls? Did people who got phone calls get them from individuals they knew?

Yeah they come from people who'd already have our contact info, not the admissions office

Accepted this morning by email!! Did not receive a phone call, which makes sense because I don't know anyone at UMMS

I got a call from a good friend who is a student there, not the admissions office directly. If you don’t know anyone, I don’t think you get a call.

IN! Received the email this morning!

giphy.gif

Michigan is awesome, and holistic in its approach to medicine and candidates. I love the fact that the school is friendly to career changers.

To those who didn't receive good news: keep your head up. I'm sure that Michigan had to make some very tough choices, and that with such a competitive applicant pool, it becomes somewhat of a crapshoot at times. The fact that you made it this far means you bring something special to the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users