2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish Michigan would accept me already. The waiting kills. And now I'm deciding if I should go to other interviews. I have spent way too much money on this entire med school application already.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I wish Michigan would accept me already. The waiting kills. And now I'm deciding if I should go to other interviews. I have spent way too much money on this entire med school application already.

When was your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhh yeah so your wait is until the 20th. It’s okay we’re already in December! It’ll fly by!

Yup. Dec 20. :)

I got an interview invite at another school. I need to decide if I’m going. If I get into Michigan, I’m not going anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. Dec 20. :)

I got an interview invite at another school. I need to decide if I’m going. If I get into Michigan, I’m not going anywhere else.

On the same boat! I scheduled the other II for january so hopefully can cancel it later. Hopefully we both can :)

Anyone who just interviewed Friday have any feedback on how the day went etc?

Also super interested to hear about this! 6 MMI + 2 traditional interviews all in the morning seems like a marathon.

Reactions: 1 users
Also super interested to hear about this! 6 MMI + 2 traditional interviews all in the morning seems like a marathon.

Yes. I loved it! You get through all the interviews between 9-12 and honestly it flies. First school I ninterviewed with where we got right into it - no boring PowerPoint slides, just a phenomenal talk from the dean and director of admissions, and your interviews (long forms were very friendly and conversational and MMIs were quick and fair). Then you get to really enjoy the rest of the evening in a low stress environment. My advice would be just truly be a nice, normal person for MMIs - no prior knowledge or reading necessary. Stay professional because some people at my interview got a little “too” comfortable after lunch. For the one on ones, know your amcas and just walk in super comfortable and ready to just talk to a person like you’ve been friends!

Yes. I loved it! You get through all the interviews between 9-12 and honestly it flies. First school I ninterviewed with where we got right into it - no boring PowerPoint slides, just a phenomenal talk from the dean and director of admissions, and your interviews (long forms were very friendly and conversational and MMIs were quick and fair). Then you get to really enjoy the rest of the evening in a low stress environment. My advice would be just truly be a nice, normal person for MMIs - no prior knowledge or reading necessary. Stay professional because some people at my interview got a little “too” comfortable after lunch. For the one on ones, know your amcas and just walk in super comfortable and ready to just talk to a person like you’ve been friends!
Too casual. Must be me!!!

Hola guys!

First time posting here, I have questions about financial aid/scholarships for UMich. I was fortunate enough to have received an acceptance from UMich, and as my cycle is going on it's becoming one of my close top choices. However, I'm terrified about the cost of medical school, especially because neither of my parents financially support me.

Quick bio about me: URM (Hispanic), OOS, cGPA:3.67 sGPA: 3.77 MCAT: 517, good ECs. Parent I listed on the FAFSA (my parents are divorced) makes ~30k a year, younger sibling is currently in college.

Does anyone know what the typical UMich financial aid package looks like, especially for OOS students? Is UMich known for being generous with financial aid?

Hola guys!

First time posting here, I have questions about financial aid/scholarships for UMich. I was fortunate enough to have received an acceptance from UMich, and as my cycle is going on it's becoming one of my close top choices. However, I'm terrified about the cost of medical school, especially because neither of my parents financially support me.

Quick bio about me: URM (Hispanic), OOS, cGPA:3.67 sGPA: 3.77 MCAT: 517, good ECs. Parent I listed on the FAFSA (my parents are divorced) makes ~30k a year, younger sibling is currently in college.

Does anyone know what the typical UMich financial aid package looks like, especially for OOS students? Is UMich known for being generous with financial aid?

I'm not sure what they look like, but UMich is one of the schools that is known for being more generous with aid than other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what they look like, but UMich is one of the schools that is known for being more generous with aid than other schools.
Yes!! Mich is one of my top choices right now. But worried as an OOS about aid. Hopefully they come in clutch!

Do you guys think they're near done sending out II's, even to IS applicants? I know plenty of incredibly competitive IS applicants who attended UMich UG without an II here. Whack.

Do you guys think they're near done sending out II's, even to IS applicants? I know plenty of incredibly competitive IS applicants who attended UMich UG without an II here. Whack.

In past years, they have sent out a few (like 1-7) IIs basically every Monday until the end of January, with a couple weeks off around the holidays. I don't know if this cycle will be similar, but based on the 5-year averages that you can find on their admissions website, I am guessing there are still somewhere between 20-50 more IIs that will be sent out before the end of the cycle.

Reactions: 2 users

Same, but over 50% of their class if 2+ gap years. So I feel like it's almost not surprising, only 16.7% is straight from UG.

Same, but over 50% of their class if 2+ gap years. So I feel like it's almost not surprising, only 16.7% is straight from UG.
Sorry, to clarify: I meant they previously attended to UMich as their undergrad institution, but many of them have been in a gap year(s) since graduating. Still, interesting to hear that over 50% of UMich Med students have 2+ gap years, I didn't know that!

Reactions: 3 users
What are the thoughts on chances if one is an IS applicant who interviewed early and was waitlisted? Is it over? Any chance of waitlist movement?

What are the thoughts on chances if one is an IS applicant who interviewed early and was waitlisted? Is it over? Any chance of waitlist movement?

According to MSAR “Historically we have not offered positions off of our waitlist.”

Am I at a disadvantage for applying straight out of ugrad?

I’m applying straight out of UG as well and I have an II for what it’s worth. But I guarantee it isn’t helping us.

Am I at a disadvantage for applying straight out of ugrad?
Umich loves non-trad but I don’t think you’re at a disadvantage. I believe that a strong candidate is a strong candidate despite whether or not you have gap years. As a career changer the cool/innovative things I did during my undergrad years were the topic of all my interviews even at Michigan so don’t sell yourself/your experiences short.

Umich loves non-trad but I don’t think you’re at a disadvantage. I believe that a strong candidate is a strong candidate despite whether or not you have gap years. As a career changer the cool/innovative things I did during my undergrad years were the topic of all my interviews even at Michigan so don’t sell yourself/your experiences short.
That's good to know thanks :) I didn't submit my secondary until almost October so I'm hoping for a shot at a later interview.

According to MSAR “Historically we have not offered positions off of our waitlist.”
so at my interview day they told us this was typically the case, but this past year they pulled almost 10 people off the waitlist, and they can't predict what will happen this year with the waitlist (likely people will come off because of new traffic rules)

More II out today, all to IS applicants.

Accepted!!!!!! Got a call from a friend who goes here this morning. Emails will come out Monday for Nov interviewees, not the 20th!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted!!!!!! Got a call from a friend who goes here this morning. Emails will come out Monday for Nov interviewees, not the 20th!!!

Umm WHAT!? But I’m not emotionally ready to find out sooner! Haha what day in Nov did you interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to all those accepted!

I just interviewed and was blown away, best interview day by far.

Hola guys!

Hey! I just got accepted two days ago, also URM/latina. I tried to DM you but couldn’t!

Accepted!! And I must say it was the coolest acceptance email in the history of acceptance emails!! LOL

got the email crying from happiness currently

Hello everyone! Does anyone know about the Dean's scholarship for OOS students? Is it full-tuition for OOS, or is it just IS tuition?

Just woke up to the acceptance and screamed! I loved this school so much when I interviewed (11/30). Just from that email this school seems like it is going to be a lot of fun. I hope to see some of you guys during second look!

Waitlisted. All the best everyone else.

ACCEPTED! I am so happy because Michigan was my top choice!

Deferred decision for me.. anyone know how the process works for this? Will they give me an up date on the next decision day or could it come at any point in the process? Also does anyone know my chances of getting in off the deferred list? There’s not a lot of information about this online.

Deferred decision for me.. anyone know how the process works for this? Will they give me an up date on the next decision day or could it come at any point in the process? Also does anyone know my chances of getting in off the deferred list? There’s not a lot of information about this online.

All I remember from the day was that deferred was better than waitlist and you could find out at any time because they’re continuously reviewing your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile