2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y’all who got acceptances, are you OOS? Patiently waiting for my rejection too☹️

I'm IS! Don't give up hope yet, rooting for y'all

Members don't see this ad.

I'm IS! Don't give up hope yet, rooting for y'all
Haven’t lost hope yet too. Fwiw I’m oos and haven’t heard back, but I also know a fellow oos-er that recently got admitted.

Hope they’re sending decisions in batches.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven’t lost hope yet too. Fwiw I’m oos and haven’t heard back, but I also know a fellow oos-er that recently got admitted.

Hope they’re sending decisions in batches.
Recently as in not midnight???

370 interviews... any hope for IS students who still haven't heard anything?

Reactions: 1 users
Deferred here too, pretty bummed. Thought the interviews went really well and would be lying if I said this school didn’t become a personal favorite after the 24 hours in blue. The most disappointing part is how much I really liked and connected with the students, faculty, and other interviewees at every step of the way.

Will continue to stay hopeful, and good luck to everyone else as well.

370 interviews... any hope for IS students who still haven't heard anything?

I would say so. I only got an II last week exactly, and they had both mid and late November available.

Deferred here too, pretty bummed. Thought the interviews went really well and would be lying if I said this school didn’t become a personal favorite after the 24 hours in blue. The most disappointing part is how much I really liked and connected with the students, faculty, and other interviewees at every step of the way.

Will continue to stay hopeful, and good luck to everyone else as well.

Same. I was 100% sold on this school and they broke my heart.

"This decision is not an offer of admission, waitlist, nor is it a rejection. Your file is being compared to other interviewees who interview later than you. "

Based on this I feel like we're still in contention. We're just moved to another group and re-evaluated. Hopefully at least.

Same. I was 100% sold on this school and they broke my heart.

"This decision is not an offer of admission, waitlist, nor is it a rejection. Your file is being compared to other interviewees who interview later than you. "

Based on this I feel like we're still in contention. We're just moved to another group and re-evaluated. Hopefully at least.

Yep. Historically, it doesn't look that good and I haven't found anyone in past threads that got accepted post-deferral. But things can change year to year, and if there's a year for things to change it's this one with the new AAMC rules. Curious to hear other opinions as well, but still happy to be in the running here.

Yep. Historically, it doesn't look that good and I haven't found anyone in past threads that got accepted post-deferral. But things can change year to year, and if there's a year for things to change it's this one with the new AAMC rules. Curious to hear other opinions as well, but still happy to be in the running here.

Yeah same. Browsing through old threads, it doesn't look good haha. I think only like 5% get deferred so my interpretation of it is that they're just delaying the decision and comparing us to the next cohort. Based on that our chances are similar to their regular post interview acceptance %. This is assuming we aren't grouped into a deferred pile where it'll be harder to make a case for acceptance.

I think the changes with AAMC won't change much for how UMich does things. I don't think they're being conservative and handing out more WL or deferrals this year, but who knows though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I am patiently waiting/hoping my my II, anyone got it today?

Does anyone know how often they release a wave of offers?

I know the next wave will be for all October interview decisions, and people will find out on Nov. 15th. Based on that, I would assume that this will continue to be the trend for the months after.

Deferred:( is there a waitlist option too? Or does Michigan only give out acceptance, deferral, and rejections?

Is this really true? Every previous u michigan thread I have seen pretty much indicates that deferred is a glorified waitlist/reject at U michigan. Do you actually know anybody who attends U michigan who got in from deferred?
I was deferred :( Life moves on, but it is discouraging considering how high their post-interview acceptance rate is.

I know someone that was deferred and later accepted if that means anything.
So it's not just a glorified waitlist? Thats nice to know, to have a little hope (although ill just move forward assuming i got rejected).

Is this really true? Every previous u michigan thread I have seen pretty much indicates that deferred is a glorified waitlist/reject at U michigan. Do you actually know anybody who attends U michigan who got in from deferred?
I was deferred :( Life moves on, but it is discouraging considering how high their post-interview acceptance rate is.

I definitely know people who get accepted after deferral!! Seriously! It’s the waitlist that I hear is more likely to be a glorified rejection...

Reactions: 2 users

right there with ya! especially the high post-II accept rate bit but guess we'll just keep waiting.... just wanted to chime in to say you're not alone in this horrible deferral

Hi everyone. Do most people fly into Ann Arbor or Detroit? I'm coming from Hawaii, so I need to fly. TIA

Hi everyone. Do most people fly into Ann Arbor or Detroit? I'm coming from Hawaii, so I need to fly. TIA
Congrats on the interview. Ann Arbor doesn't have regular commercial service, so you'll have to fly into Detroit. It's only about 30 minutes by car from DTW to Ann Arbor.

Congrats on the interview. Ann Arbor doesn't have regular commercial service, so you'll have to fly into Detroit. It's only about 30 minutes by car from DTW to Ann Arbor.
Oooh. That's not bad. I'll rent a car from Detroit then. Thank you!

EDIT: I waited too long to book my flight. It's over $1000 now. =(

Last edited:
Even better than renting a car: Google the Michigan Flyer. It's a bus service that can take you directly from the DTW airport to campus. It will be much cheaper than renting a car, and the ride is about 30 minutes long.

Even better than renting a car: Google the Michigan Flyer. It's a bus service that can take you directly from the DTW airport to campus. It will be much cheaper than renting a car, and the ride is about 30 minutes long.
Thank you! Looking into that now. (It's 4:42am here but I can't sleep.)

Public transportation in Ann Arbor is actually quite good; unless you plan on doing some additional independent traveling while you're in Michigan, you can use free or very inexpensive public transportation for your whole time there.

EDIT: I waited too long to book my flight. It's over $1000 now. =(
Maybe look into southwest? I flew through them and it was fairly cheap.

Does Michigan send out a complete email? All I have received was a message saying that it would be marked as complete after CASPER is received

Make sure you guys check your spam. I've neglected mine and just realized I got an II last week lolol.

Reactions: 6 users
Make sure you guys check your spam. I've neglected mine and just realized I got an II last week lolol.
Lol every time someone posts about spam and I get the slightest bit of hope I go and check and just see an email from Duke-NUS

Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone been keeping a tally on the sum of IIs already issued based on Umich admissions twitter? Too lazy to go scroll through and count lol

Has anyone been keeping a tally on the sum of IIs already issued based on Umich admissions twitter? Too lazy to go scroll through and count lol
They have an admissions tracker on their website that tells you how many IIs have been sent already, usually gets updated on Michigan Mondays after their twitter announcement

Their official MD Admissions tracker shows 7,738 apps, 394 IIs and 107 admissions offers, although they usually update this every Monday night like lex515 said. The number of interview invites seems to vary pretty drastically between years though, if you look at their class statistics they interviewed 527 for the incoming class of 2017 but only 445 for the incoming class of 2018, with a 5-year average (2014-2018) of 534 per year. I guess that means there could be anywhere from ~50 to ~140 IIs left to be sent out?

Reactions: 5 users
How did you know nothing happened, through the admission tracker? I thought sometime they update it a day later.

The tracker and they usually post on twitter Monday afternoon/evening telling the number of II they sent out that day.

Oh wow, only 5 interviews this week. Almost the end then, yes?

Oh wow, only 5 interviews this week. Almost the end then, yes?
I guess that I don't know how to read the tracker any more, it was 394 interviewed scheduled this morning, now its 418. I always thought the 418 would be interview invite. Now seems like we have at least 418 interview invite sent out and maybe more, because someone got invite and have not schedule interview yet. Am I reading it right now? Thank you!

I guess that I don't know how to read the tracker any more, it was 394 interviewed scheduled this morning, now its 418. I always thought the 418 would be interview invite. Now seems like we have at least 418 interview invite sent out and maybe more, because someone got invite and have not schedule interview yet. Am I reading it right now? Thank you!

Normally the tracker increases each week with the number of interview invites that had been sent out that Monday, and so far the numbers have matched up most of the time (so it should have gone to 399). However, there have occasionally been jumps or skips which I think is most likely due to a periodic update to include the MSTP (MD/PhD) interviews. From what I understand, the twitter account only announces MD-only interview invites.

Normally the tracker increases each week with the number of interview invites that had been sent out that Monday, and so far the numbers have matched up most of the time (so it should have gone to 399). However, there have occasionally been jumps or skips which I think is most likely due to a periodic update to include the MSTP (MD/PhD) interviews. From what I understand, the twitter account only announces MD-only interview invites.
That makes sense. So for what it worth, I checked all twitter post for II, I added up to 358 this year till today.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, I feel like there was barely any IS love this cycle on SDN. Unless they are STILL waiting for IS???

Reactions: 4 users
Their official MD Admissions tracker shows 7,738 apps, 394 IIs and 107 admissions offers, although they usually update this every Monday night like lex515 said. The number of interview invites seems to vary pretty drastically between years though, if you look at their class statistics they interviewed 527 for the incoming class of 2017 but only 445 for the incoming class of 2018, with a 5-year average (2014-2018) of 534 per year. I guess that means there could be anywhere from ~50 to ~140 IIs left to be sent out?

This is just speculation but I think they are still going to send out a good amount of IS interviews. Nobody that I know IS has received an II here yet. Also, keep in mind that they over-accepted two cycles ago. I think that last year's IIs were much lower than usual because they gave money to a chunk of people from the previous cycle to defer because they had overextended acceptances. I heard this from a current student there.

Reactions: 3 users
This is just speculation but I think they are still going to send out a good amount of IS interviews. Nobody that I know IS has received an II here yet. Also, keep in mind that they over-accepted two cycles ago. I think that last year's IIs were much lower than usual because they gave money to a chunk of people from the previous cycle to defer because they had overextended acceptances. I heard this from a current student there.

I agree that a good number of IIs are still waiting to be sent out, most of which are likely in state. They do begin to slow down toward the end of the cycle, but previous years show interview invites still being sent out through January. For example, last year they sent out small batches of IIs all the way until January 29th.

Interesting to know about the reason for the big decrease in last year's IIs. Thanks for the insight!