2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also interested, have strong ties to state but didn't really find a place to mention in secondary
I didn't, my grandpa did graduate from here though so I'm not sure if they looked that up somehow? because they only asked about parents, but I have no idea what the process is haha

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't, my grandpa did graduate from here though so I'm not sure if they looked that up somehow? because they only asked about parents, but I have no idea what the process is haha

Congratulations! Do you think you had very unique responses to the secondary or ECs that got you the II? I'm LM 68 so your post gave me some hope lol

Members don't see this ad :)
II today too. OOS. Complete 7/29

Reactions: 2 users
II today!!! completed secondary 7-17. IS LM 83

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II!!! Gotta love Michigan Mondays! Complete 7/16 - so don't lose hope July people :D.

Reactions: 6 users
II!!! Gotta love Michigan Mondays! Complete 7/16 - so don't lose hope July people :D.
IS /OOS? Edit: just saw your sig man you giving me hope out here similar stats and OOS and complete super early keep the dream aliiiiiive

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys receive a complete email? My application portal says "APPLICATION COMPLETE", but following my CASPR test I never got a completion email from Mich Medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys receive a complete email? My application portal says "APPLICATION COMPLETE", but following my CASPR test I never got a completion email from Mich Medicine.
No complete email after Casper test for me

Does anyone know if they send out rejections or if it's just a silent rejection? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if they send out rejections or if it's just a silent rejection? Thanks in advance!

From last year, it seems that they reject everyone sometime in January

if we are placed on hold, would it explicitly say "on hold"? i'm trying to interpret what they mean when they say "it could include 'on hold' time"

Everyone is considered every Michigan Monday until the fat lady starts singing.

I am OOS with an LM score 77 (GPA-3.66 MCAT 523). I submitted on 6/30 and have not received an II yet. My numbers aren't insane or anything but they are pretty good and I thought that I would get a interview at this point. Looking through the thread I see a lot of OOS people who submitted much later than me with lower LM scores who have already gotten interviews and I am getting pretty nervous. Is anyone else in this situation?
You’re actually not in a situation, you’re in what is called “normal”. You can’t assume you will be among the 7% of OOS that is interviewed here. Nobody is entitled to anything in this process.

Reactions: 8 users
You’re actually not in a situation, you’re in what is called “normal”. You can’t assume you will be among the 7% of OOS that is interviewed here. Nobody is entitled to anything in this process.

Yup, also submitted 6/30 with decently high stats. back when I started college wayyy before the cycle I had read allllll over Michigan's website about how they wanted holistic applicants, submit on the first day, basically all of Dean Gay's tips on what Michigan wants in their applicants. Had my primary and secondary read thoroughly by current Michigan students, and even then, sitting in silence. Point is that sometimes even when you try your best, you gotta acknowledge this process is hella competitive and hope things work out.

Reactions: 6 users
only. 7% OOS is interviewed here?
LOL dont even know why i was stressing. i feel much better now lol

does anyone know what we wear to the dinner the night before the interview? it sounds like casual should be fine?

does anyone know what we wear to the dinner the night before the interview? it sounds like casual should be fine?

Casual (as in no business suits/ties) is fine! Keep in mind that the pizza place is fairly nice though, so anything aside from short-shorts and flip-flops would work! At my interview day, most interviewees dressed in button-down shirts and khakis/nicer jeans (not ripped or anything); girls wore flats or nice sandals. The med students were definitely dressed more casually.

Casual (as in no business suits/ties) is fine! Keep in mind that the pizza place is fairly nice though, so anything aside from short-shorts and flip-flops would work! At my interview day, most interviewees dressed in button-down shirts and khakis/nicer jeans (not ripped or anything); girls wore flats or nice sandals. The med students were definitely dressed more casually.

Thanks. I was wondering about that as well. I was thinking blouse and jeans. Is it cold enough for uggs? Lol. I live in Hawaii and what I have in terms of winter wear is limited. My interview date is Nov 16.

Thanks. I was wondering about that as well. I was thinking blouse and jeans. Is it cold enough for uggs? Lol. I live in Hawaii and what I have in terms of winter wear is limited. My interview date is Nov 16.
You can wear whatever makes you happy. It's a bunch of medical students and other interviewees at a pizza place and is extremely low key. The cold has come to Michigan, dress warmly.

Also, I just did this interview day. Here's the breakdown:
Night before:
optional tour and dinner at the Pizza House. I didn't do the tour, but the dinner is extremely casual. They'll kick you out at about 830p so that people go home and get some rest.

The day of:
If you drive, you park in a garage. They have an excellent set of mobile directions that take you straight to admissions. It says be at the garage at 700a for a 730a show at Admissions. It's really about a 15 minute walk, max.
You get a bag of some materials and swag, and they take you to a room for breakfast, a talk from the Admissions director and a few other faculty. Afterward you're split into groups - one half does the MMI, and the other does their long form interviews. The groups then switch. It's all done around 1130a.
Everyone gets back together for lunch with more students. When lunch is over, you do an "untour." You're randomly assigned into groups of about 12, and head to different parts of the hospital to experience something. The 3 groups for my day were sutures, OB, and surgery (which is not too dissimilar from suturing).
When that's done, everyone gets back together for a few more discussions from admissions folks, another chance to talk to students, and more refreshments.

We were done before 330p. Post if anyone as questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Also, I just did this interview day. Here's the breakdown:
Night before:
optional tour and dinner at the Pizza House. I didn't do the tour, but the dinner is extremely casual. They'll kick you out at about 830p so that people go home and get some rest.

The day of:
If you drive, you park in a garage. They have an excellent set of mobile directions that take you straight to admissions. It says be at the garage at 700a for a 730a show at Admissions. It's really about a 15 minute walk, max.
You get a bag of some materials and swag, and they take you to a room for breakfast, a talk from the Admissions director and a few other faculty. Afterward you're split into groups - one half does the MMI, and the other does their long form interviews. The groups then switch. It's all done around 1130a.
Everyone gets back together for lunch with more students. When lunch is over, you do an "untour." You're randomly assigned into groups of about 12, and head to different parts of the hospital to experience something. The 3 groups for my day were sutures, OB, and surgery (which is not too dissimilar from suturing).
When that's done, everyone gets back together for a few more discussions from admissions folks, another chance to talk to students, and more refreshments.

We were done before 330p. Post if anyone as questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks for this! As far as the tour, is it a lot of walking? My last interview involved two separate tours, and about 2 hours of walking. I was wearing heels and my feet were killing me. Wondering if this involves as much walking, as it will affect my choice of footwear.

Thanks for this! As far as the tour, is it a lot of walking? My last interview involved two separate tours, and about 2 hours of walking. I was wearing heels and my feet were killing me. Wondering if this involves as much walking, as it will affect my choice of footwear.
Not much. We walked directly to the area where we were for the untour, and then took a bit of a circuitous way back, but all in all very short. I can't imagine it all added up to more than 30 minutes.

I know no one can give a for sure answer, but as someone commented their II is mid November, is it safe to say that most IIs are already distributed since after November 16 there are only 5 interview days left?

I know no one can give a for sure answer, but as someone commented their II is mid November, is it safe to say that most IIs are already distributed since after November 16 there are only 5 interview days left?
I really hope not :( I really love this school and am seriously hoping for an II. Maybe I should prep myself for that R, though...

I really hope not :( I really love this school and am seriously hoping for an II. Maybe I should prep myself for that R, though...
It truly is an amazing school, but I know there are thousands of candidates that are better than me. I guess it was fun to dream. Prepping for an R :unsure:

I think they’re about 75% done giving II. Someone was saying before they give 500 and according to their site 370 have already been given out.

I think they’re about 75% done giving II. Someone was saying before they give 500 and according to their site 370 have already been given out.
Aka if you’re like me and complete literally the first day we’re probably toast:(

It was 445 last year.

I'm starting to question how holistic UMMS actually is, from their statistics and comments it seems they place heavy weights on timely submissions and undergraduate institution. This is not particularly fair since we can agree people with multiple jobs and mouths to feed can't always submit early...

Say what you want but the numbers speak for themselves, 5 years running.

The majority of their matriculants are from top 10 institutions or the UM-Ann arbor.

I would argue that you can't even consider it in state friendly since people from other Michigan schools such as MSU, WSU, Oakland, etc are rather rare in their matriculants.

End of rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It was 445 last year.

I'm starting to question how holistic UMMS actually is, from their statistics and comments it seems they place heavy waits on timely submissions and undergraduate institution. This is not particularly fair since we can agree people with multiple jobs and mouths to feed can't always submit early...

Say what you want but the numbers speak for themselves, 5 years running.

The majority of their matriculants are from top 10 institutions or the UM-Ann arbor.

I would argue that you can't even consider it in state friendly since people from other Michigan schools such as MSU, WSU, Oakland, etc are rather rare in their matriculants.

End of rant.

While their 5 year acceptance rates for OOS/IS are more OOS favored (~270/~100 respectively), they aim for a matriculation of around 50/50, which they seem to achieve for the most part from what I recall.

YOOOO. Just accepted via email. Ima be a doctor momma!

Reactions: 17 users
I got in too!!!! That was such a great video!!! I literally have work in the morning but I can't sleep because I am so excited still.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
I got in too!!!! That was such a great video!!! I literally have work in the morning but I can't sleep because I am so excited still.

Did you get the email right at midnight??

No email update for me unfortunately. They said we’ll hear back today. Congrats to all that got in!

No email update for me unfortunately. They said we’ll hear back today. Congrats to all that got in!
You never know. No news isn't bad news either. Could just hear back later today or something. Who knows.

You never know. No news isn't bad news either. Could just hear back later today or something. Who knows.

Thank you. Congrats on your A! I did browse through old threads and it seems like those that get waitlisted, deferred, or rejected hear back later rather than at midnight. Hope I’m wrong tho! This is my top choice honestly

Patiently waiting for my rejection over here :(
Edit: I'm not even one of the lucky ducks who interviewed here -- still at that "II or R?" phase, haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Y’all who got acceptances, are you OOS? Patiently waiting for my rejection too☹️