2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!! I got the email at 10:20am EST. No phone call here, just email!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just watched some of the White Coat Ceremony from last year. Dean Gay: "We are Michigan, we will not compare ourselves to others. Either join us or follow us, for we have work to do." Man, that guy is awesome.

Reactions: 4 users
IN! Received the email this morning!

giphy.gif

Michigan is awesome, and holistic in its approach to medicine and candidates. I love the fact that the school is friendly to career changers.

To those who didn't receive good news: keep your head up. I'm sure that Michigan had to make some very tough choices, and that with such a competitive applicant pool, it becomes somewhat of a crapshoot at times. The fact that you made it this far means you bring something special to the table.

I feel the exact same way. I’m miraculously in (still hasn’t sunk in yet) but seriously everyone I interviewed with was amazing. I was so so so impressed and I have definitely gotten extremely lucky

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview literally right now, can confirm I did not have email yesterday or portal update yesterday. IS

Still in shock, PM for specific stats if interested

Interview literally right now, can confirm I did not have email yesterday or portal update yesterday. IS

Still in shock, PM for specific stats if interested
Congrats, are you saying that you just got II?

UMich's "5-Year Admissions Snapshot", which is available on the MD Admissions website, states an average of 534 interviews per year (389 OOS, 145 IS), and 380 admissions offers per year (273 OOS, 107 IS). I guess this comes out to about a ~71% post-interview acceptance rate. However, I'm pretty sure these numbers include approximately 50 MSTP (MD/PhD) interviews and 10-12 MSTP acceptances, which would skew the rates by a few %.

EDIT: Decided to update with MSTP numbers subtracted (484 interview, 369 admissions offers), this gives an MD-only post-interview acceptance rate of ~76%.

Members don't see this ad :)
To MSTP people who have already interviewed, did they mention their decision timelines?

To those who have/had an II, how did you submit the photo release? I uploaded a photo but I received an email saying that I have yet to complete the release. I don't see a prompt anywhere on the secondary, it just says that by uploading I have automatically agreed to release? Thanks in advance!

To those who have/had an II, how did you submit the photo release? I uploaded a photo but I received an email saying that I have yet to complete the release. I don't see a prompt anywhere on the secondary, it just says that by uploading I have automatically agreed to release? Thanks in advance!
You got an II from Michigan? congrats. did you get it yesterday? IS? when did you complete?

When u finally submit the actual MIC, essays and all, the final page has a box u check off where you authorize your photo release! At least, I think lol. I remember being confused too I just know there’s a box to heck off somewhere on the MIC

Reactions: 1 user
Another question for those who got an II.. I totally did not realize we had a complete the MIC. I didn't even notice the link upon first receiving my interview confirmation email--I thought this just entailed the HIPAA and photo upload. I completed it today but my interview is in a little less than 3 weeks and the MIC material should have been completed at least 4 weeks before my interview. Does anyone know if this will alter my appointment/chances at all? I emailed the director but she is out due to the holiday. Very nervous this will ruin my chances. Thank you in advance!

Another question for those who got an II.. I totally did not realize we had a complete the MIC. I didn't even notice the link upon first receiving my interview confirmation email--I thought this just entailed the HIPAA and photo upload. I completed it today but my interview is in a little less than 3 weeks and the MIC material should have been completed at least 4 weeks before my interview. Does anyone know if this will alter my appointment/chances at all? I emailed the director but she is out due to the holiday. Very nervous this will ruin my chances. Thank you in advance!
I am confident it will not affect your chances. Go in there with confidence and be yourself. Think of questions for your interviewers is my best advice for prep.

Reactions: 1 users

I just got my interview yesterday for 12/14 (Which I'm guessing is your day). I just turned mine in last night. I thought about calling the admissions office to let them know, but didn't know if it was urgent enough.

I have an interview for 12/14 as well. I got a second email from admissions saying that it was fine if we submitted MIC by 11/26. Maybe check your spam folder for that, as you should have gotten a similar email. Either way, I think you're all good :)

Anyone who has interviewed or been accepted have any advice for the interview?

Anyone who has interviewed or been accepted have any advice for the interview?

Prep like you would for any MMI. Know your app for the traditional interviews as if you get a student they tend to be very thorough (in a positive way!). It’s a fun day.

Prep like you would for any MMI. Know your app for the traditional interviews as if you get a student they tend to be very thorough (in a positive way!). It’s a fun day.

Did you think it was a hard interview day? Do you think reading all those WashU bioethics pages would help? Thanks for the response!

Did you think it was a hard interview day? Do you think reading all those WashU bioethics pages would help? Thanks for the response!

Nah, MMIs are what they are. Some stations are tougher than others but you dont need any specific knowledge to answer the prompts.

I thought the book “The Ultimate Guide to Multiple Mini Interview” was helpful with understanding how to tackle MMIs in general. Also if you’ve never had a medical ethics class WashU is a great way to familiarize yourself, especially when it comes to dealing with difficult patients and families, end of life care, patient autonomy, etc... Also I agree with everyone else who says to know your application, especially your personal statement. Also be yourself, you received the interview because you are what the school is looking for.

I thought the book “The Ultimate Guide to Multiple Mini Interview” was helpful with understanding how to tackle MMIs in general. Also if you’ve never had a medical ethics class WashU is a great way to familiarize yourself, especially when it comes to dealing with difficult patients and families, end of life care, patient autonomy, etc... Also I agree with everyone else who says to know your application, especially your personal statement. Also be yourself, you received the interview because you are what the school is looking for.

Thank you! I've read an MMI book before and have had MMIs at the interviews I've been on but was worried they might be harder at a super top school like UMich. Did anyone notice extensive questions on research you had done? Or is it more they are trying to get to know you as a person?

I read "Doing Right" to learn about medical ethics. I got it on Amazon.

Does UMich really like thank you notes? I was under the impression that the interviewers submitted our evaluation immediately after and would get our thank you notes delayed anyway. Also- email vs card?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does UMich really like thank you notes? I was under the impression that the interviewers submitted our evaluation immediately after and would get our thank you notes delayed anyway. Also- email vs card?

I sent physical cards. We got an email after telling us to send the thank you notes to our long form interviewers to the admissions office and they would be forwarded. So I guess they do like them. Not idea if they have an effect on acceptance or not though.

I didn't send thank you notes, still got accepted. I don't think it affects that much. But I think email is good. Quick and online so they can update and add it tovyour file.

Do you guys think that it's over for OOS to not receive IIs at this point?

8 II today. Although it did say "going out this week" not "today"...so maybe not today?

Who was the author? Thanks!
Philip C Herbert. He’s Canadian but he talks about the laws in the US as well mention if the laws differ from those in Europe. I think it’s about $70 but I learned so much.

@Gilakend Congratulations and thanks for sharing about your II. Do you remember if 12/14/18 was the only date offered to you?