2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how optional the dinner is the night before the interview? I have limited vacation days at work and my flight probably wouldn't get in until later that night. I'd really like to go but I can't afford the vacation time. Do any applicants/current students have advice on this?

I was in a similar situation last year when I was an applicant and had limited vacation days. I did not attend the dinner or tour the night before, and several people I interviewed with that are now my classmates didn't either. It does not have any effect on your application/interview day so don't be nervous if you can't go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Feeling bad I botched this secondary compared to other schools. Their admissions are so transparent and post-ii acceptance is so high.

during the MMI is there a clock in the room so you can see how much time you have remaining while you speak or do you just have to "feel" the time out lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
during the MMI is there a clock in the room so you can see how much time you have remaining while you speak or do you just have to "feel" the time out lol?
Idk if this is the same for u of m, but at my other interview they had a speaker system that would tell you when you had two minutes left

I wonder if the majority of people who keep up with UM's interview invite log are disappointed, or if majority of the people keeping up are gonna be the fortunate ones to get II's.

MSTP II last week... can confirm those are not only on Monday. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
No twitter broadcast yet??? I honestly wish I never discovered that UMich does this lmao

Reactions: 1 users
II just now. I’m in shock!! I just took CASPer on 8/28, so I don’t even think they have my score yet. Submitted secondary 9/3

Reactions: 5 users
II just now. I’m in shock!! I just took CASPer on 8/28, so I don’t even think they have my score yet. Submitted secondary 9/3
congrats! thats insane. did you have crazy stats or pubs?

Congrats, IS or OOS?

OOS

congrats! thats insane. did you have crazy stats or pubs?

No, neither. No research at all, actually. I'm a non-trad, a lot of work experience in education. I also have a compelling story and some unique life experiences

Last edited:
II today! OOS, LM ~74/75. I'm really surprised as well, I also took the CASPer on 8/28, though I did my secondary earlier in August. I haven't checked if the score was in yet, maybe they review files and just check to make sure you do the test?

Reactions: 2 users
Well at least the good news is that Michigan reminds me every Monday not to be naively hopeful and that things can only go up the rest of the week :cigar:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well at least the good news is that Michigan reminds me every Monday not to be naively hopeful and that things can only go up the rest of the week :cigar:

At least they re-review applicants constantly. At most other places you get silently rejected.

I think I t means that our applications are still in a pile on someone’s desk, not in the garbage

I couldn't check the site at work, so am just now able to look. Did you have more than one choice for interview dates? It only gives me one option, which happens to be the week of my only other interview.

I couldn't check the site at work, so am just now able to look. Did you have more than one choice for interview dates? It only gives me one option, which happens to be the week of my only other interview.

Yeah just one choice. Oct 12. I have the same issue with that date conflicting with another interview. I’m going to call Admissions in the morning and see if there are other options. Are you seeing Oct 12 too?

Last edited:
Yeah just one choice. Oct 12. I have the same issue with that date conflicting with another interview. I’m going to call Admissions in the morning and see if there are other options. Are you seeing Oct 12 too?
Yes, Oct 12.

II today!!! So unexpected on a Tuesday lol (applied regular MD), super excited for this one!!

Anyone know how optional the dinner is the night before the interview? I have limited vacation days at work and my flight probably wouldn't get in until later that night. I'd really like to go but I can't afford the vacation time. Do any applicants/current students have advice on this?

apologies for the late reply but for future reference, all the pre-interview activities are 100% optional! They're really for your benefit - like to get comfortable with Ann Arbor, meet your fellow interviewees, and have a chance to talk to current students in a casual setting! that being said, there are tons and tons of opportunities to ask current students questions on the interview day as well, so don't worry! :)

So UMMS has an extra-awesome "tertiary" application, with two additional small essays and a few other questions. One of them is:

Fun Fact - We would like to know one fun fact about you. This will be shared with other interviewees and those involved with your interviews. Please use no more than three words! Thank you. Most people don't know that I can ________________.

As an adult, I think this is kind of a dumb question, which opens it up to a pithy response. What do you think the reaction would be if I wrote something completely off key like "rhyme with cat?"

I can envision the response being either amusement or annoyed that I blew it off.

What are your thoughts?

So UMMS has an extra-awesome "tertiary" application, with two additional small essays and a few other questions. One of them is:

Fun Fact - We would like to know one fun fact about you. This will be shared with other interviewees and those involved with your interviews. Please use no more than three words! Thank you. Most people don't know that I can ________________.

As an adult, I think this is kind of a dumb question, which opens it up to a pithy response. What do you think the reaction would be if I wrote something completely off key like "rhyme with cat?"

I can envision the response being either amusement or annoyed that I blew it off.

What are your thoughts?

Seems annoying that you would think you're too adult to answer this question. Also, your response is not even funny

Reactions: 11 users
Seems annoying that you would think you're too adult to answer this question. Also, your response is not even funny

Fair enough, it was a first shot, although not being funny was kind of the point. I'm sure I could think of something better.

I don't think I'm too adult to answer the question, I think everyone is too adult to answer the question. You're telling me you read that and thought "yes, that seems like something I would expect a top tier university to spend time on?"

Edit: More than being too adult, I think that a light hearted question deserves a light hearted response

Fair enough, it was a first shot, although not being funny was kind of the point. I'm sure I could think of something better.

I don't think I'm too adult to answer the question, I think everyone is too adult to answer the question. You're telling me you read that and thought "yes, that seems like something I would expect a top tier university to spend time on?"
It's a way to get to know the students. The last interview I went to, the dean of admissions went around the room and had all of the interviewees say a fun fact about themselves. Right off the bat I could tell what kind of personality a student had by the type of response they gave. I'm sure the dean could as well. Questions that seem childish may have multiple purposes. But quite honestly, "Tell me a fun fact about yourself" is a pretty standard question...not "too adult" at all.

It's a way to get to know the students. The last interview I went to, the dean of admissions went around the room and had all of the interviewees say a fun fact about themselves. Right off the bat I could tell what kind of personality a student had by the type of response they gave. I'm sure the dean could as well. Questions that seem childish may have multiple purposes. But quite honestly, "Tell me a fun fact about yourself" is a pretty standard question...not "too adult" at all.

That makes sense, and I would be comfortable then with an inane response. Dry humor is a part of who I am. The problem with a dry sense of humor is that it doesn't always come off well, especially in writing.

Picture this exchange:
Dean: Name a fun fact about yourself.
My turn: I can skillfully rhyme words, such as cat.
Others: (silence).
Me: Seriously, I could probably name about 4-5 words right now, off the top of my head.

I'd be thrilled if that played out. Others, apparently, no so much.

What are your thoughts?

lolol I know you weren't gonna actually put "rhyme with cat" but out of all the things you could put there that would definitely be the lamest answer possible.

That makes sense, and I would be comfortable then with an inane response. Dry humor is a part of who I am. The problem with a dry sense of humor is that it doesn't always come off well, especially in writing.

Picture this exchange:
Dean: Name a fun fact about yourself.
My turn: I can skillfully rhyme words, such as cat.
Others: (silence).
Me: Seriously, I could probably name about 4-5 words right now, off the top of my head.

I'd be thrilled if that played out. Others, apparently, no so much.

Hahah you are more than welcome to put any fun fact! Just a heads up that fun fact is shared with all of the current medical students at Michigan and projected onto a screen with your picture!

Wait what? Does that happen during our interview day?
Hahah you are more than welcome to put any fun fact! Just a heads up that fun fact is shared with all of the current medical students at Michigan and projected onto a screen with your picture!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

If I never get that Michigan II, I'll move on. You can't invest everything into one school.

For the HIPAA module are we suppose to have an access code for Mlearning site?

For the HIPAA module are we suppose to have an access code for Mlearning site?

Nope! Go to the end of the powerpoint and there's a link you can like which will take you to another website where you can input your name to get/download your certificate (the details are a little fuzzy now but it's something to that effect)

Nope! Go to the end of the powerpoint and there's a link you can like which will take you to another website where you can input your name to get/download your certificate (the details are a little fuzzy now but it's something to that effect)
Thank you!

Please love me, UMich MSTP.

Good vibes to everyone else on here who refuses to give up hope for a Michigan II!

Reactions: 4 users
II today!!! i am shocked and so excited! complete july 8 LM ~70

Reactions: 8 users