2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe these issues will be resolved by the time the class of 2023 are in the second year?... I hope...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The first years just finished a class-wide roundtable discussion with the Dean. Students brought up a lot of concerns with Dean who just dismissed them all out of hand and insisted she knew what's best for us as well as telling flat-out lies. Do you want to pay 60k a year for a Dean who thinks nothing about lying to your face?

Yes, considering I've overcome muuuuuuch worse to get this far.

The first years just finished a class-wide roundtable discussion with the Dean. Students brought up a lot of concerns with Dean who just dismissed them all out of hand and insisted she knew what's best for us as well as telling flat-out lies. Do you want to pay 60k a year for a Dean who thinks nothing about lying to your face?

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I did not feel that this was how the meeting went at all. If people would like to speak more on the topic feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically she was there to address what happened to the second years and to get feedback from us. A lot of students brought up a lot of issues they want to change and the reponse was always "no."
"Do you think you could have handled this a different way?"
"No."
"Don't you think the policies you enacted basically led to this situation?"
"No."
"Could we maybe change things up next year since we're a different class?"
"No."
"Can we have some more autonomy in how we do things instead of you controlling everything?"
"No."
Woman should change her name to Dr. No.
She also kept trying to give us the run-around on who does what and who we should talk to, saying we should take up our concerns with the students on the curriculum committee..... who all say the administration doesn't really listen to them. The Dean knows this perfectly well, she's trying to dead-end us on purpose. Whenever you mention wanting to change something 19 times out of 20 it's either "no" or "ohhhhh that's a course director thing, talk to them" who of course say it's someone else's problem, who in turn say it's yet another person's department, etc.
The administration keeps saying they have nebulous data to back up everything they do and yet has never felt very keen on sharing it, not to mention we've all read research that contradicts their own BS.
Part of what was addressed was how the second years were given quizzes during class but you could miss 15% of them and not have your grade affected.... which she basically equated to being allowed to miss an entire day, implying that students who don't like coming to class still had a lot of freedom when it reality would equate to a couple hours a week. There wasn't any wiggle room and they knew that.
She also tried to frame these quiz points as "bonus points for coming" rather than "punishment for missing" except they're purpose-built to punish students who don't come to class. Lying again.
Maybe 30-40 minutes in with students trying to give feedback she went on a brief diatribe saying we hadn't been through medical school, sat through boards, gone through residency saying that "we" (i.e. the administration) had, obvious implication being therefore they know better and are automatically right.
Someone challenged her on that and pointed out that people who had in fact done all those things disagree with the way they do things as well and not just us lowly students. Kinda gave a non-response to that, she doesn't respond well to people calling her out on her crap directly.
Specifically claimed that grades are as important as board scores. THAT IS NOT TRUE AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS LYING TO YOU.
One student mentioned starting a pilot program for driven students to stay at home and do self-directed study (which is how pretty much all other schools do it, UNE is not the norm) and she shot that down. Why? Because then they'd have irrefutable proof that we don't need to come to class and they've been feeding us garbage.
Her dismissive attitude really bugs me on a personal level, not to mention the hypocrisy. She constantly preaches "we're adults, we're going to treat you like adults" yet at every turn claim to know what's best for everyone and tell us when and how to do everything and punish us if we deviate. Micromanaging to the nth degree.
Feel free to PM me if you want anything more specific. That woman is so full of s*** the toilet is jealous.

Last edited:
So basically she was there to address what happened to the second years and to get feedback from us. A lot of students brought up a lot of issues they want to change and the reponse was always "no."
The administration keeps saying they have nebulous data to back up everything they do and yet has never felt very keen on sharing it, not to mention we've all read research that contradicts their own BS.
Part of what was addressed was how the second years were given quizzes during class but you could miss 15% of them and not have your grade affected.... which she basically equated to being allowed to miss an entire day, implying that students who don't like coming to class still had a lot of freedom when it reality would equate to a couple hours a week. There wasn't any wiggle room and they knew that.
She also tried to frame these quiz points as "bonus points for coming" rather than "punishment for missing" except they're purpose-built to punish students who don't come to class. Lying again.
Maybe 30-40 minutes in with students trying to give feedback she went on a brief diatribe saying we hadn't been through medical school, sat through boards, gone through residency saying that "we" (i.e. the administration) had, obvious implication being therefore they know better and are automatically right.
Someone challenged her on that and pointed out that people who had in fact done all those things disagree with the way they do things as well and not just us lowly students. Kinda gave a non-response to that, she doesn't respond well to people calling her out on her crap directly.
Specifically claimed that grades are as important as board scores. THAT IS NOT TRUE AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS LYING TO YOU.
One student mentioned starting a pilot program for driven students to stay at home and do self-directed study (which is how pretty much all other schools do it, UNE is not the norm) and she shot that down. Why? Because then they'd have irrefutable proof that we don't need to come to class and they've been feeding us garbage.
Her dismissive attitude really bugs me on a personal level, not to mention the hypocrisy. She constantly preaches "we're adults, we're going to treat you like adults" yet at every turn claim to know what's best for everyone and tell us when and how to do everything and punish us if we deviate.
Feel free to PM me if you want anything more specific. That woman is so full of s*** the toilet is jealous.
Oh God the data haha. Based on what they've said they should publish all their research and all other med schools should fall in line, they seem to think they've cracked the perfect formula.

Reactions: 1 user
Second year here. Wasn't in attendance for the first year's meeting with the Dean today, but I can relay what I've heard in feedback. The session was held to update the first years on the happenings of the second year class. A lot of information they were receiving was through the grapevine, from SDN, and misconstrued/incorrect in many ways. Some students were in the dark about what was going on unless they went out of their way to inquire about details.

I think we owe the administration a bit of credit for scheduling and attempting to have a meeting to clear up hearsay. Communication has certainly not been one of their strengths historically, so the fact that there was an attempt at improving it should be appreciated.

Regarding the actual content of the meeting, I've heard a grab-bag of feedback. Some students felt that at times it turned argumentative and hostile, while others thought it was fairly informative. The Dean took questions from the class and attempted to support/rationalize the administration's stance on policies that are unlikely to be changing for the 2022 class as they advance to second years. You can read the opinions above - obviously there are differing views, and some opinions might be jaded by previous actions of the administration. However, overall, I personally believe that this is a step in the right direction.

There was also a "Dean's Round Table" held recently where students could present questions to the administration. The Deans were receptive to student feedback regarding our clerkship site assignment process and made an immediate change as a result that directly benefits students. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Dean's apparent change in leadership style this semester. Here's to hoping we stay on track.

Last edited:
Dude we're done with this. People are joining the class of 2023 whether you like it or not. As posters above me have said, this conversation has been exhausted and those of you with issues need to find another place to hash them out.

Thank you, this is my only interview so far so I have no choice but to just take whatever comes I'm happy they at least are giving me a chance when no one else has

Reactions: 1 users
So as of right now 1st year lectures optional and 2nd year mandatory attendance?

So as of right now 1st year lectures optional and 2nd year mandatory attendance?
Mostly. You'll have a fair amount of lectures that are still mandatory. Every time you have a new professor that lecture is automatically mandatory and since you're encountering all your profs for the first time at the beginning of school pretty much all of them are mandatory. It's all also up to the professor on making lectures mandatory, it's not a school policy.
2 hour CPC's on wednesdays (usually every week unless we have a test) are ALWAYS mandatory. We have other stuff like cmapping every week and team case challenges that are also mandatory. The school doesn't count them as lectures per se so they still say "lectures" are not mandatory but a hell of a lot still is.

Mostly. You'll have a fair amount of lectures that are still mandatory. Every time you have a new professor that lecture is automatically mandatory and since you're encountering all your profs for the first time at the beginning of school pretty much all of them are mandatory. It's all also up to the professor on making lectures mandatory, it's not a school policy.
2 hour CPC's on wednesdays (usually every week unless we have a test) are ALWAYS mandatory. We have other stuff like cmapping every week and team case challenges that are also mandatory. The school doesn't count them as lectures per se so they still say "lectures" are not mandatory but a hell of a lot still is.

Do they follow an 8-5 schedule every day

Members don't see this ad :)
How many courses are there per block/ how long is every block?

Courses vary, blocks vary too. Shortest was 6-7 I think, longest was 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is taking an uber from Portland early in the morning to campus a viable option on interview day? I know it's a little pricey, but is it reliable?

Is taking an uber from Portland early in the morning to campus a viable option on interview day? I know it's a little pricey, but is it reliable?

From Portland, you shouldn’t have a problem. You’ll likely have to wait a bit longer from Biddeford back to Portland though.

Is there a possibility of the school closing Tuesday? I am supposed to interview and I already have had one flight cancel on me, just booked a new one and hoping I don't have to lose anymore money on this.

Is there a possibility of the school closing Tuesday? I am supposed to interview and I already have had one flight cancel on me, just booked a new one and hoping I don't have to lose anymore money on this.

Usually if the school is closed, interviews still happen.

The email said even in inclement weather, interviews take place but to let them know if you can’t make it.

Does anyone know why UNECOM's fall semester begins so early? July 1st?? Also, the academic calendar says they end year 1 and 2 June 28th and then start July 1st. Is there really no summer break in between years?

Does anyone know why UNECOM's fall semester begins so early? July 1st?? Also, the academic calendar says they end year 1 and 2 June 28th and then start July 1st. Is there really no summer break in between years?

We start early and end earlier in April. The calendar is like that for financial aid reasons. School gets out in April, but you won’t have to be back at school til July.

II this morning for 3/2. Does anyone know how full the class is at this point?

can a current ms1 post there exam schedule? My friend showed me Touros and they have a test every 2 days :(

can a current ms1 post there exam schedule? My friend showed me Touros and they have a test every 2 days :(

It's hard to post a schedule since it does vary timing wise but I can give you an idea.

Every Monday we have two quizzes.

Every 2-3 weeks we have a test (covering the last 2-3 weeks)

Then at the end of the block (8ish weeks...) we have our block exams. That includes 2 comprehensive exams covering the entire block for medical knowledge and clinical skills, 1 donor exam, 1 histo/embryo/radiology/pathology exam, 1 live anatomy exam, and then a clinical skills assessment

Interviewed here recently and I loved it. I asked a lot of questions regarding the situation that we have seen with the second year students on this thread to: students associated with the interview day, faculty, and COM students that were not associated with the interview day and figured I would post feedback for people who were accepted prior to this mess or for people who did not want to ask these questions when interviewing. Everyone was incredibly friendly and forthcoming with information, and I will definitely not let the issues that have arisen on this forum dictate my decision to attend UNE if I am accepted. Awesome school, awesome area, awesome students. Multiple students and one member of SGA told me that they do feel as if student voice is appreciated when making decisions (within reason of course) and that the lack of communication between admin and the student body has been overblown on this forum. Take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt

I was really impressed with the facility and staff here's to hoping for good outcomes

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I will definitely not let the issues that have arisen on this forum dictate my decision to attend UNE if I am accepted.

i think this is so well said. I actually just got on here today since I applied and haven't read through the "mess" on the previous pages. I guess I will just not read it untill I attend the interview.

I'm still waiting for II. :/

Received an II today but most likely turning it down. Hopefully it will go to someone waiting for an II

II this week.
I am thinking about turning it down. I interviewed at my state DO and waiting to hear back. I have one more interview in state in February. Any recommendations on what should I do?

Do you have any acceptances yet? If not I think the opportunity cost of turning it down would be tremendous, since you don't know the outcome of the other interview yet. Hopefully you will be accepted, but you don't know that for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
II this week.
I am thinking about turning it down. I interviewed at my state DO and waiting to hear back. I have one more interview in state in February. Any recommendations on what should I do?
Interview

Don’t risk not getting in somewhere. GOOOOO

Are they only interviewing for the waitlist at this point?

Do you have any idea how movement off the waitlist works? Thanks

I am unsure how it works completely but I do know that once the class is full, any one that the committee decides to “accept” is put on the waitlist. After that, I am unsure of the process of pulling people off.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have just been accepted to my state MD school. Good luck to all of you waiting, I hope my spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 6 users
Complete end of August haven’t heard anything. Chances of interview?

Waitlisted today. Interviewed 1/23

does anyone know if we just interviewed for the waitlist? are they still accepting people at all?