2018-2019 University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also received an II after getting rejected a couple weeks ago. I don't think that this new development is a mistake (at least I hope) since the re-review email explicitly mentioned that the rejection email should be disregarded.

Even so, I feel like I might be at the bottom of the barrel for those who are interviewing, considering the fact that they had to dredge up my application from the pool of the rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

I also received an II after getting rejected a couple weeks ago. I don't think that this new development is a mistake (at least I hope) since the re-review email explicitly mentioned that the rejection email should be disregarded.

Even so, I feel like I might be at the bottom of the barrel for those who are interviewing, considering the fact that they had to dredge up my application from the pool of the rejected.

Rochester requires a $100 deposit within about 3.5 weeks of receiving an acceptance offer. My jumping-to-conclusions theory is that they have received less of those deposits than they originally anticipated and want to make their applicant pool a little larger so that they have more people to consider in lieu of the new traffic rules and the uncertainty revolving around that.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the same rejection ---> II email. Probably was not originally a mistake. My guess: They were too selective initially, and now their II-yield is too low. They probably had some specific disqualifiers that were removed when re-reviewing apps. My interpretation, "Hey... you're not our ideal candidate but... uhh... we're getting kinda desperate over hear"

Other possibility I was thinking of: An individual on the Adcom rejected a certain pile of applicants. That individual was later found to be doing his/her job incorrectly/poorly. They, then, re-reviewed all his/her rejected applicants.

Regardless, don't feel like an imposter. You're still dope and are probably very qualified to attend medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Other possibility I was thinking of: An individual on the Adcom rejected a certain pile of applicants. That individual was later found to be doing his/her job incorrectly/poorly. They, then, re-reviewed all his/her rejected applicants.

This is my suspicion exactly.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the same rejection ---> II email. Probably was not originally a mistake. My guess: They were too selective initially, and now their II-yield is too low. They probably had some specific disqualifiers that were removed when re-reviewing apps. My interpretation, "Hey... you're not our ideal candidate but... uhh... we're getting kinda desperate over hear"

Regardless, don't feel like an imposter. You're still dope and are probably very qualified to attend medical school.
But...like...what about the rest of us that are still in limbo?:laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Good chance your application wasn’t reviewed.

Not sure why they would want to look at applications that they already considered and rejected, rather than looking at new applications, unless the rejections were a mistake of some sort.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure why they would want to look at applications that they already considered and rejected, rather than looking at new applications, unless the rejections were a mistake of some sort.

My guess is that they sort them out based on competitiveness, combination of GPA/MCAT, EC's, UG or affiliation with the institution.

My guess is that an admin filtered out applications based on cutoffs that when reviewed were deemed too stringent. Looking back, the institution may now realize that they may not be able to compose their ideal class without interviewing those that were previously "rejected".

My guess is that they sort them out based on competitiveness, combination of GPA/MCAT, EC's, UG or affiliation with the institution.

My guess is that an admin filtered out applications based on cutoffs that when reviewed were deemed too stringent. Looking back, the institution may now realize that they may not be able to compose their ideal class without interviewing those that were previously "rejected".

ehh I dunno, it seems fishy that the only people who received interviews yesterday were those previously rejected as opposed to those who got the "still under review" email. I don't think they dug back out rejected applicants instead of looking at all of us who are still under review

ehh I dunno, it seems fishy that the only people who received interviews yesterday were those previously rejected as opposed to those who got the "still under review" email. I don't think they dug back out rejected applicants instead of looking at all of us who are still under review

I know 3 people that were under review that received interviews yesterday as well.

Completed 8/2, "under review" email on 10/25, II 10/28.

LOL. Med schools are never desperate for applicants. It's the opposte. We are desparate for their heavenly attention. ;)
Probably latter?

completed 8/2, under review 10/25, and still haven't heard anything...

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 8/26, under review 10/25, and II today (11/15).

Reactions: 5 users
II yesterday. Completed 08/27. Under Review Email 10/25. Earliest available dates for interview are in February 2019

Withdrawing my application - hopefully one of you gets my interview slot, best of luck!

So anyone else not receive any update emails? I didnt get the "still under review" nor the R. I checked to make sure it was submitted with the right email and it was. I sent it in before a friend of mine who did receive the update

I got an II here weeks ago, and available dates were also only in Feb. Is there any point in interviewing that late in the game is it basically an II for a waitlist spot?

Anyone receive a II after being complete in September?

Yes i sent that as an update and they told me that it would be added to my application.

should I throw in some volunteer activities/ conferences I went to while I'm at it? I never know if those things they want people to send. I know publications and things like that are considered. Obviously the job promo I will add, should I also throw those things in there?

Also did you do it by email to their admissions office?

Looking at Last years thread there was a wave of Acceptances on 20th Nov which was a Monday. Any one has heard anything yet ?
The first set of acceptances matched with last year's dates

Same here. Maybe they only accept updates from people who have been interviewed?

I sent an update around the beginning of November and got a confirmation about a week later (on a Saturday!). Haven't interviewed.

Do you folks think it would be worth sending a pre-interview update that I have been working as a medical scribe in primary care, and also got Wilderness First Aid certification? I have previously worked as a scribe (for 1.5 years) but not in primary care so not sure how interested they would be in this change.

Withdrew after my R turned into an II. Still very thankful for the interview invite, but I’m hoping it goes out to one of y’all who deserve it!

Btw: All available dates were in February last time I checked the portal—I never actually scheduled an interview

Withdrew after my R turned into an II. Still very thankful for the interview invite, but I’m hoping it goes out to one of y’all who deserve it!

Btw: All available dates were in February last time I checked the portal—I never actually scheduled an interview
How does a rejection turn into an II???

Successful appeal?

Wish my initial application on 8/1 would turn into a II before they run out of dates

Maybe a lot more people are withdrawing from the wait list than they thought and they want to have people to pull from. I got wait listed and then ended up withdrawing.

Dear Sdn,
Does anyone have any idea about the length of the one on one interviews or what the group discussion is like? its called a 'small group discussion' does that mean that we are sub divided into small groups?

Dear Sdn,
Does anyone have any idea about the length of the one on one interviews or what the group discussion is like? its called a 'small group discussion' does that mean that we are sub divided into small groups?

Two groups, about 7 each i think. It's an ethical issue you discuss together. One on one interviews could vary. One of mine was about an hour the second was like barely 30 mins (interviewer was rushed).

I got an II a while back, but withdrew my application. OOS. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor

Has anyone received confirmation from the admissions office after sending an update? Thanks for sharing in advance!!

If the acceptances don't come out today I will flip a table - metaphorically.

They said 6-8 weeks for post-interview decisions right? It's about that time..