2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called the admissions office and asked them if there is any waitlist movement. Their reply was “no, we haven’t gotten to the waitlist yet.” Then I asked if they know when they’d get to the waitlist. And they were like “we can’t give you an exact date because it all depends on whether there are any changes in the accepted list.” Broke my heart. So maybe the class is full? :(

Reactions: 1 user
I called the admissions office and asked them if there is any waitlist movement. Their reply was “no, we haven’t gotten to the waitlist yet.” Then I asked if they know when they’d get to the waitlist. And they were like “we can’t give you an exact date because it all depends on whether there are any changes in the accepted list.” Broke my heart. So maybe the class is full? :(

I'm not holding my breath anymore. Coupled with the whole 'rare post-interview rejections' a previous poster mentioned, I'm starting to feel that the only way off the waitlist is if you sent in a letter of intent.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

no offense but reading this and looking back to all the waitlist notices people have been getting since February really makes a certain someone who I won’t name’s whole bullsh*t speech about how “it doesn’t matter when you interviewed your application is still very much considered in our admission process” so disturbing to me. Why put these false hopeful thoughts in peoples minds when your class was already full back in January??

Last edited:
Reading your posts pooja96, it sounds like you sent a letter of intent to Hawaii, got accepted, then sent a letter of intent to USC? Is this allowed? Isn't the purpose of letters of intents to let schools know that you WILL attend if accepted?

Ok calm down LizzyM.BFF, before you start making assumptions about me, I received that acceptance AFTER sending my letters.

And the original intent of my last post was to point out a flaw in Keck’s system. I didn’t mean offense to the person who called the office (thank you for doing so btw and sorry if I came off as harsh towards you). I just seemed to me based on other people’s posts that the class has been full for a while and they kept giving out interviews even though their class is full.

Ok calm down LizzyM.BFF, before you start making assumptions about me, I received that acceptance AFTER sending my letters.

And the original intent of my last post was to point out a flaw in Keck’s system. I didn’t mean offense to the person who called the office (thank you for doing so btw and sorry if I came off as harsh towards you). I just seemed to me based on other people’s posts that the class has been full for a while and they kept giving out interviews even though their class is full.
FWI for others, many schools that interview on a rolling basis fill their class up by December-January, especially if they began offering interviews really early in the cycle (such as USC and Tulane based on my knowledge) . The difference is that USC is a popular school to attend and historically has never had that much WL movement.

I’m mainly super bummed that being complete July/aug got me an interview invite in September for January. It seems like after that point almost everyone was getting waitlisted.

Last edited:

You sent a letter of intent to two schools? Also I understand your frustration completely, but a ton of schools have their acceptance rate dwindle the later you get an interview and pretty much every school interviews for more seats than they have.

Really? They are saying this is how to communicate our “intent/commitment” to attend. But im not sure. Can someone clarify this?

You can stay on waitlists, theyre just saying that if after this point you switch they will not refund your $500. I'm not sure when their official CTE deadline is. It hasn't been clarified.

• Some students are wondering how to communicate their intent/commitment to enroll at USC. If students know that they will matriculate to the Keck School of Medicine of USC, they will submit a $500 non-refundable deposit by May 15, 2019. The paypal link to submit the deposit will become available on the Orientation website on May 1st(we cannot accept any deposits on or before April 30th ). This deposit will be applied to tuition. Students may remain on the waitlists of other schools, however the deposit is non-refundable if a student decides to withdraw after the deposit has been made. Though the AAMC has created a Choose your Medical School Tool, the primary, official method of communication during this process takes place between an applicant and a school. This tool is intended to supplement, not replace, that communication.

I’m mainly super bummed that being complete July/aug got me an interview invite in September for January. It seems like after that point almost everyone was getting waitlisted.
Literally the exact same situation for me. I think they probably filled most of their class by December/early January

Accepted from waitlist this morning! Does anyone know how long it takes for the selection to appear on AMCAS? Thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email today asking whether I’d still like to be on the waitlist.

Post-WL rejection today saying class is filled. Currently 0 acceptances and holding one more WL at UCSF. Looks like I am not going to medical school after all. Sad.

I see people here have gotten emails saying the class is full... why haven't I been rejected yet? My lease is starting soon y'all, emotions and concerns all over the place right now

Yes, this cycle has been confusing and extended. It was an amazing opportunity to interview here and learn about the program. I wish the best success for current and accepted students as well as all of you who did not make it. You are definitely all excellent and will achieve success if you continue on the journey.

Reactions: 2 users
So,
No news from anyone on WL in a while.
No rejection for me yet either...
My PTE school starts soon...but
Keck is my top choice, is it worth it to call or email admissions and grovel for a spot?

So,
No news from anyone on WL in a while.
No rejection for me yet either...
My PTE school starts soon...but
Keck is my top choice, is it worth it to call or email admissions and grovel for a spot?

you probably don't have anything to lose but from what I've heard, all the spots are filled, sorry bud

Were you rejected as well? Anyone else here still being strung along?

I haven't gotten the R yet. I have an A from a DO school and have to move in three weeks...grateful but stressed beyond belief.

Short answer questions:
The following questions allow the Admissions Committee to become acquainted with you as an individual. Please answer the questions in 3-5 sentences.
What is the most fun you’ve had lately?
If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.

Essay question:
If you had the power to change anything, what would it be?
Please answer the question in 150 words or less.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine
What else is asked on the supplemental application for usc? Do you have to answer another criminal background report?

First day of orientation is August 5th, which is mandatory so I dont think they'll accept anyone past that. But the first day of classes is the following Monday