2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does it matter which session I pick? What's the difference, if any? The only available day is August 18 on a Saturday.
I did my interview on a Saturday and I obviously got accepted. I don't think k it really makes any difference and I can't even think of any way that it would.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II as well!! Woohoooo!!! See y'all on August 18th!

Reactions: 1 users
Does UIW pre-screen for GPA? I have not received a secondary yet. 3.2/521. It was one of my top DO choices due to the faith-based environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my interview on a Saturday and I obviously got accepted. I don't think k it really makes any difference and I can't even think of any way that it would.

any tips you can give for the interview? Never experienced a MMI. thanks so much for the information you have shared!

any tips you can give for the interview? Never experienced a MMI. thanks so much for the information you have shared!
Be calm, professional, and confident. They say you can practice for an MMI but in my experience that isn't really true. I can't talk about the interview itself as we all sign non-disclosure agreements.

hey guys , how did y'all schedule for the interview? All the boxes are grey for August on my portal.

Last edited:
II here, July 18th. Interviewing Aug. 18th.
Welcome to the party, see you there!
hey guys , how did y'all schedule for the interview? All the boxes are grey for August on my portal.
Maybe spots filled up already? Did you click through the other months to see if there's another available date? For me I had only 1 option: August 18.

Maybe spots filled up already? Did you click through the other months to see if there's another available date? For me I had only 1 option: August 18.
I went all the way to January but no dates were available. I emailed and left them a voicemail, hopefully they do something on their end on Monday. It shouldn't be filled up since the deadline to confirm is July 27.

I went all the way to January but no dates were available. I emailed and left them a voicemail, hopefully they do something on their end on Monday. It shouldn't be filled up since the deadline to confirm is July 27.
They only schedule one weekend at a time. After that session passes they will schedule another weekend

Scheduled interview for september 7!

Last edited:
Interviewing early Sep!

Does UIW pre-screen for GPA? I have not received a secondary yet. 3.2/521. It was one of my top DO choices due to the faith-based environment.

No you’re okay. I have a low GPA and just got a secondary and submitted today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my primary application. Do you think it's too late??
You should be all right. Be sure to complete the secondary, if they invite you to do one, within 2 weeks. The questions for it are at the top of this thread, so you can start writing them now :)

anybody know why their tuition is ridiculously high? it's near $60k per year. yikes.

At this point I would just like to get in somewhere...then we can consider the options and worry about money. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
At this point I would just like to get in somewhere...then we can consider the options and worry about money. :laugh:
lol! that's my opinion too... get accepted first and then worry about money. I live in San Antonio and I know it's expensive but who cares

Secondary received! Does anyone know if they will push back your interview invite? I have other interviews already for the current sates lol.

Hello Garurumon,

I am a current applicant to UIWSOM. I was lucky that I got an II from UIW next month. I was wondering do you have suggestion in terms of preparing for the interview? I can PM you if you would like.

Thank you!

First year here, actual first day is on Tuesday. I want to clear up some applications questions I've seen here.

1- The curriculum is nearly 100% case based. You do your studying using your own materials with recommended reading. They want to know HOW you studied. A glimpse into possibly your maturity, study habits, and dedication to learning. I would encourage you to think in those terms.

2- Religious preference, sexuality, and the like are not things that will be frowned upon. We have students who are from a myriad of religions and sexual preferences. The campus was actually actively involved in celebrating those of the lgbtq community. Do not fear not fitting in here. For the record I'm an atheist, but like the school for the purpose of being tolerant and understanding of differences in spirituality and how it impacts care of patients.

3- There are certainly concerns regarding a new school and we will undoubtly have growing pains for another 2 year's as none of us have completed the program here. That being said, despite having another there medical school in close proximity to us San Antonio is a major city that is still heavily medically underserved meaning that there is plenty of care to go around. Relationships for clinical sites also exist in Laredo, Abilene, and another city I can't remember at the moment. For what it's worth, Texas medical programs tend to prefer people from Texas including residency (this is part perception but there may be people with more hard data). Our Dean as well as other faculty have worked in getting different medical schools accredited including PNWU and RVUCOM and both are reasonably successful. That's not to say they were the only reason but it is a plus.

Personally I think the school will fit well for someone who likes the case based approach and really fits the mission. Being a Catholic school does not require you be Catholic nor are you looked down upon for not being Catholic. I never hid my atheist beliefs. Showing maturity and a willingness to genuinely help others will go a long way especially if you stats are lacking a little luster. This doesn't mean you've got a good shot with an MCAT of 490 and a GPA of 2.7 but if you're stats are borderline but your resume and personal statement are compelling you at least open the opportunity to interview.

Good luck to you all!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your insights about the school. I have my interview this month. Do mind sharing any tips interns how to prepare for it.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best

Hello Garurumon,

I am a current applicant to UIWSOM. I was lucky that I got an II from UIW next month. I was wondering do you have suggestion in terms of preparing for the interview? I can PM you if you would like.

Thank you!
Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you! I'm also a 2018-2019 applicant. Congrats on the II, and as for how to prepare: I got the book on MMIs by Dr. Desai on Kindle, since lots of people seem to recommend reading that. There's also sample questions floating around online, so you can get an idea of what interviewers might ask you. Applicants from previous cycles left golden nuggets of advice and their experiences with interviewing on SDN, so I would comb through those as well. It seems that a common tip is to be yourself and be sincere, confident, and thoughtful with your answers.

Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you! I'm also a 2018-2019 applicant. Congrats on the II, and as for how to prepare: I got the book on MMIs by Dr. Desai on Kindle, since lots of people seem to recommend reading that. There's also sample questions floating around online, so you can get an idea of what interviewers might ask you. Applicants from previous cycles left golden nuggets of advice and their experiences with interviewing on SDN, so I would comb through those as well. It seems that a common tip is to be yourself and be sincere, confident, and thoughtful with your answers.

Hello Garurumon,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Congrats to you as well. I have been reading that book and some bio ethics materials. I am really nervous about the MMI especially the writing part of the interview since I am a slow writer. I hope we will all do well on the interview. I will see you on the 18th :)

Good Luck!

would you recommend the book? I read Medical School Interview by Dr. Ryan Gray, it's phenomenal and covers information on all kinds of questions and interviews.

Like I have already mentioned, I honestly think preparing for MMIs is an exercise in futility. Of course, there are resources everywhere ready to tell you "the secrets to crushing the MMI" or whatever, but the reality is that a properly done MMI is going to have unpredictable questions based around some made up scenario most of the time. Just be confident and genuine in your responses. The point of the MMI is to determine if your personality fits with the school and its mission. If you do your homework on the school, its mission, and the associated faculty and staff the questions won't feel like they are out of left field. MMI questions aren't meant to have a right or wrong answer. They are looking for someone who can maturely reason through a question and have an adult conversation about it. Trying to be prepared for every possible question is a giant waste of your time and energy. If you are interviewing at any school and a serious applicant you should have done your homework on the school. If you did, then you'll be fine.

Secondary received!

Congrats to all of you that have gotten II's so far! For those of you that got one this past Friday, when was your secondary marked as completed?

Rejected

3.2.3.1/521
Sorry to hear that. :( This process is a crapshoot. One door's closed, but another or better one might open! That happened to my friend who didn't get an II here but ended up at TCOM.

This is my first time applying to UIW, but not my first time applying to medical school. Should I go ahead and answer the what have you done to strengthen your application question?

This is my first time applying to UIW, but not my first time applying to medical school. Should I go ahead and answer the what have you done to strengthen your application question?

That question specifically asks if you reapplying to UIWSOM. I would recommend leaving it blank.

Finally complete here. Fingers crossed!

That question specifically asks if you reapplying to UIWSOM. I would recommend leaving it blank.

That, or you could put "N/A (first-time applicant)" like I did. Evidently that's ok, too.

Congrats to all of you that have gotten II's so far! For those of you that got one this past Friday, when was your secondary marked as completed?
Complete 7/19

Forgot to post, but II last Friday (8/3) and first one of the cycle!! :D LizzyM ~64-68, complete 7/10

Do you guys know anything about how this school views controversial topics in medicine? In case questions come up during the interview? I didn't see anything on their website.

Do you guys know anything about how this school views controversial topics in medicine? In case questions come up during the interview? I didn't see anything on their website.
I don't think they really care what your Viewpoint is as long as you are able to see both sides and justify it with good reasoning not just "oh I think abortion is wrong because it's wrong."

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

secondary completed 6/5, II on 7/18! Interview is scheduled for 8/18

Anyone interviewing on Sep 7th? :)

It's my first time applying for UIW SOM.
How did you guys answer the last question about reapplying or just leave it blank???
If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?

Last edited: