2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to the next batch of interviewees! You're in for a fun day. ^.^

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else only have the October 13th interview date option? Do you know if they will add more?

Wasn’t hyping a lot on this school at first but have been hearing great things and @Goro appears to like them! Excited to interview now!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how long does it take to send an interview invitation after II?
"II" stands for "interview invite." I take it you mean how long between sending a secondary and getting an II. People's response times may vary. For me: complete 6/29, II 7/18.

"II" stands for "interview invite." I take it you mean how long between sending a secondary and getting an II. People's response times may vary. For me: complete 6/29, II 7/18.

Ahh, the good old days; I used to think that too. I petition that we change the invite abbreviation to "In" or even "Inv," which would save a lot of confusion :D

Does UIWSOM send out complete emails? I submitted my secondary on 7/22 and it was marked complete around the same time, but I never received a complete email from them. Should I contact them about this?

Does UIWSOM send out complete emails? I submitted my secondary on 7/22 and it was marked complete around the same time, but I never received a complete email from them. Should I contact them about this?
I just submitted my secondaries today at 6am, got an email right away saying "supplemental application received", and then, "UIWSOM Application Complete" at 8:19am.

Did you complete your LORs or MCAT? Maybe they are waiting on that. If everything has been submitted then I would give them a call.

I just submitted my secondaries today at 6am, got an email right away saying "supplemental application received", and then, "UIWSOM Application Complete" at 8:19am.

Did you complete your LORs or MCAT? Maybe they are waiting on that. If everything has been submitted then I would give them a call.

Everything on my portal has a green checkmark and it even says "Complete" on the application complete column. I didn't know they sent out complete emails so I'll go ahead and call them about this. Thank you!

Everything on my portal has a green checkmark and it even says "Complete" on the application complete column. I didn't know they sent out complete emails so I'll go ahead and call them about this. Thank you!

When you go to your portal, click status at the top then communication status on the left hand side. I have three letters, the most recent stating application complete. If you see that you should be good.

When you go to your portal, click status at the top then communication status on the left hand side. I have three letters, the most recent stating application complete. If you see that you should be good.
Yeah I checked my communication status, and the last one is "supplemental application received" and nothing about application complete. I called admissions and asked about this but she said that I have to pass screening, which confused me because technically everything has already been completed and received. Hopefully, I get the complete email soon.

Did anyone get an email stating their application is still being reviewed? It says they have limited space for interviews but will continue to have them.
"However, if space permits, an offer may be extended for a future interview date. Interviews are currently held every month and will continue throughout the fall and early spring."

When I first read this I thought they were saying I'd been wait-listed...? Anyone else get this email? Any other interpretations? My secondary was marked complete on 8/12.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get an email stating their application is still being reviewed? It says they have limited space for interviews but will continue to have them.
"However, if space permits, an offer may be extended for a future interview date. Interviews are currently held every month and will continue throughout the fall and early spring."

When I first read this I thought they were saying I'd been wait-listed...? Anyone else get this email? Any other interpretations? My secondary was marked complete on 8/12.
Yep just got the same email today! I'm OOS and was complete 7/19.
I think it means we're on the interview wait-list. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

Has anyone gotten an II after receiving this email?

+1

I also got the same email. I just figured we were still active in their cycle and could get called for an interview later on

1+
Complete 7/30.

Last year they did pull some people off of the waitlist. So there’s still someeee hope.

Does this mean that everyone else who submitted secondaries after 8/1 will be waitlist for the II as well? Because it sounds like they are already full of interviewees?

Does this mean that everyone else who submitted secondaries after 8/1 will be waitlist for the II as well? Because it sounds like they are already full of interviewees?
I was complete 08/06 and did get an interview. As far as I know this school does send out rejections; so a pre Interview hold means they'll reevaluate the application for later interview dates.

Got put on hold. If anyone was counting for statistical purposes....

Is anyone else who interviewed 8/18 DYING to know their decision? I'm so impatient. This will be the first school I hear back from on a final decision (besides 1 post-secondary rejection) and I feel like my whole outlook on life is gonna change if I can just FNIALLY find out if I'm gonna be a ****ing doctor or not. Yes, I realize how dramatic I'm being right now, lol.

I know they said we'd hear back in 3 weeks. Super curious to see if they're going to stick to that. I wonder if they'll sent out decisions as they make them or send them out all at once?

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else who interviewed 8/18 DYING to know their decision? I'm so impatient. This will be the first school I hear back from on a final decision (besides 1 post-secondary rejection) and I feel like my whole outlook on life is gonna change if I can just FNIALLY find out if I'm gonna be a ****ing doctor or not. Yes, I realize how dramatic I'm being right now, lol.

I know they said we'd hear back in 3 weeks. Super curious to see if they're going to stick to that. I wonder if they'll sent out decisions as they make them or send them out all at once?

Yes, I cannot wait to hear back! This school really impressed me on interview day and I think I could be very happy as a student there. I check my email constantly waiting to see if they have sent out decisions.

Nope. I interviewed on that day. I think tomorrow we will probably hear tmsomwtbing back. According to last year’s applicants. Last year they took 12 days to send out a batch of decisions.

I'm only making comments based on threads from previous cycles: they appear to send out decisions in waves, and generally stick to the 3 weeks, give or take a few days.

I don't see any mention of a night before social and can't find anything in my email about one, but I just wanted to double check that there wasn't one, correct? It's getting hard to keep track of these things lol.

Hi all! Secondary completed 7/10 and II on 08/03. I'm interviewing next Friday (09/07) and it'll be my first MMI-based interview. I was wondering if we'd have an opportunity to ask our own questions afterwards, similar to how a traditional interview would transpire?

Hi all! Secondary completed 7/10 and II on 08/03. I'm interviewing next Friday (09/07) and it'll be my first MMI-based interview. I was wondering if we'd have an opportunity to ask our own questions afterwards, similar to how a traditional interview would transpire?

There is a group Q&A session!

Yes, I cannot wait to hear back! This school really impressed me on interview day and I think I could be very happy as a student there. I check my email constantly waiting to see if they have sent out decisions.
Did they mention how long it would take to make a decision?

Honestly, I was excited for this school, but the area and curriculum are a bit off-putting. No grades? Pass/fail? That means no class rank and most likely harder to get competitive residencies. A lot more weight will be put on test scores. I didn’t know this before interviewing. However, my interview experience here was very positive. The dean is by far the best one I’ve met thus far. That definitely reflects on the integrity and trajectory of the school. Just food for thought everyone!

Most schools (including the Texas ones) have pass/fail, and even more are adapting this grading system. TCOM switched to pass/fail a few years ago, and they continue to do well with board pass rates and residency match lists, and still be among the top DO schools in the country. While it may make sense for weight to shift to test scores due to lack of class ranks and letter grades, the curriculum at UIWSOM seems to be built around anticipating this. I think we're gonna be okay.

Most schools (including the Texas ones) have pass/fail, and even more are adapting this grading system. TCOM switched to pass/fail a few years ago, and they continue to do well with board pass rates and residency match lists, and still be among the top DO schools in the country. While it may make sense for weight to shift to test scores due to lack of class ranks and letter grades, the curriculum at UIWSOM seems to be built around anticipating this. I think we're gonna be okay.

TCOM actually has the top COMLEX scores in the country. They also placed a student in a neurosurgery residency with John Hopkins, so P/F grading isn't hurting anyone.

any news on the final decisions yet?

Shook my inbox, but nothing came out (yet).

TCOM actually has the top COMLEX scores in the country. They also placed a student in a neurosurgery residency with John Hopkins, so P/F grading isn't hurting anyone.

Yep, that's what I was referring to! Pass/fail sounds great. The schools recently adapting it have current and incoming students regard it as a welcome change, while those already with it have students that allegedly have lower stress and get more out of their education. It wouldn't be completely unreasonable to believe that UIWSOM can become a solid DO school like TCOM. Can't go wrong with any school in Texas, really.

Does anyone have any input on what they did if they were not able to get a committee letter? I'm not sure if I qualify as a nontrad so I'm stumped on what to do with the letter of recommendation requirement.

Does anyone have any input on what they did if they were not able to get a committee letter? I'm not sure if I qualify as a nontrad so I'm stumped on what to do with the letter of recommendation requirement.
I didnt have a committee letter I had 3 individual letters and I got II

II Received!! Interview on 10/13!!! Anyone has the same date??

Last edited:
Ugh. I'm literally a crazy person.

I've spent the past hour refreshing my email and looking through last years forums trying to suss out if I should expect to wait until Monday for a decision email.

Most decision emails were sent out in the mornings, but I saw several in the afternoon and even some around 8 pm in December of last year.

I need to get a grip.

Ugh. I'm literally a crazy person.

I've spent the past hour refreshing my email and looking through last years forums trying to suss out if I should expect to wait until Monday for a decision email.

Most decision emails were sent out in the mornings, but I saw several in the afternoon and even some around 8 pm in December of last year.

I need to get a grip.
im in the same boat... tomorrow is official the end of the 3rd week though

Accepted. Very thankful for this opportunity to stay in TX for medical school.

Reactions: 11 users
Check your email if you interviewed on 8/18.

Just got my acceptance.

Beyond happy. :biglove::rofl::arghh:

Last edited: