2018-2019 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the email!!!! Accepted!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so excited for everyone who got accepted but this is also so depressing :). I haven’t even heard from them yet :((

Reactions: 1 users
Gotem, nice to get that first A

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted this morning!!! This school quickly became my top choice after I saw how beautiful Charlottesville is and heard about the program/active learning style. Feels so surreal :)

Accepted this morning!!!!!!!!!!!! Still feels unreal

Glad to see positive energy in the thread :)

Got a question for UVA students (@UNMedGa)/anyone knowledgeable - thoughts on pros/cons of clinical rotations in and around Charlottesville vs Inova Fairfax? I've heard away rotations in Charlottesville can be both a blessing and a curse, and that Fairfax may have higher patient volume (not sure if this matters for med students though). It probably will be a wash in the end but just wanted to hear what people thought.

Withdrew II today. Much luck gang!

Reactions: 4 users
II this morning!
Submitted late July, LM: 65-66, IS, URM

Reactions: 7 users
Are they still sending out OOS IIs? I've been complete since late July and haven't heard anything

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be too late to apply now? I know the deadline is Nov 1st but I wasn't sure if applications are reviewed chronologically and whether it's now too late in the cycle.

Rejected. IS. I knew it was a long-shot, but still a bit disappointed. Guess they don't like reinventors lol

ACCEPTED!! Interviewed 10/22, I’m so incredibly excited, I fell in love with the campus on interview day

Reactions: 10 users
Sooo I'm having trouble deciding between the Charlottesville and Inova campus for clerkship year....part of me is interested in Inova solely due to the proximity to DC, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice potential better training at the main campus. Can anyone provide pros/cons for the two options? Thankssss :)

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know if UVA is receptive to pre-II updates or letters of interest? I've been complete (OOS) since mid-july and have heard nothing

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know if UVA is receptive to pre-II updates or letters of interest? I've been complete (OOS) since mid-july and have heard nothing

I'm in the same situation and was wondering about this too. Does anyone know UVA's policy on pre-II updates & letters of interest?

Their website says "Please note we are unable to speak or be in contact with a prospective applicant after May 1st of the year they are applying" but it's unclear to me if that applies to updates.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted!

I'm in the same situation and was wondering about this too. Does anyone know UVA's policy on pre-II updates & letters of interest?

Their website says "Please note we are unable to speak or be in contact with a prospective applicant after May 1st of the year they are applying" but it's unclear to me if that applies to updates.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted!
I sent an update and they added it to my file :)

I was unfortunately unable to attend the financial aid meeting after the interview. Does anyone know how strong UVA's merit or need based financial scholarships are? As an OOS student, staring down $340k is pretty scary.

I was unfortunately unable to attend the financial aid meeting after the interview. Does anyone know how strong UVA's merit or need based financial scholarships are? As an OOS student, staring down $340k is pretty scary.
This is also my biggest concern with UVA, because I otherwise fell in love with the school and area. Don't quote me on this, but here's what I remember: up to $30,000 in need-based institutional aid is available annually, and they offer between 8 and 12 merit-based scholarships of between $5-20,000 dollars renewable annually. So with the greatest need and merit possible, you could get $50,000 each year in aid. It's a shame they don't offer more merit scholarships. They did brag about their average debt being less than the national average though, for what it's worth.

If someone is creating the Facebook group, could you please share the link here? Thanks!!

Reactions: 2 users
This is also my biggest concern with UVA, because I otherwise fell in love with the school and area. Don't quote me on this, but here's what I remember: up to $30,000 in need-based institutional aid is available annually, and they offer between 8 and 12 merit-based scholarships of between $5-20,000 dollars renewable annually. So with the greatest need and merit possible, you could get $50,000 each year in aid. It's a shame they don't offer more merit scholarships. They did brag about their average debt being less than the national average though, for what it's worth.

Damn that's not a lot of merit based aid and I don't know how much need based aid I'll qualify for. Guess there's no point stressing out about in until financial aid packages are released, but it would suck go pass down UVA and the area, which I loved as well, due to finances.

Anyone know if UVA is receptive to ITA emails? CA resident here scheduled to be in Virginia in early February for another interview.

Anyone who interviewed this week get an email decision yet? I'm still waiting over here

Nothing but silence - withdrawing my application. Best of luck to you all!

Should I assume I am not in consideration? I'm OOS submitted early August. Lizzy is 67.

II this morning! IS, LM ~73, surprised and excited haha :) the earliest dates available were mid December, for anyone wondering.

Ugh this school is a dream! I wish I could get an II here. Fingers crossed although the silence isn't boosting my confidence...

II today!! I'm freaking out. LizzyM 81, complete mid September. My first interview invite this season, I had practically given up and was starting to consider careers outside of clinical medicine. For anyone out there still waiting on interviews, dont give up hope yet!!
You're giving me hope. LM 78 with no interviews, just holds/1 rejection. Did you get any holds/rejections before this?

Yes, I had 4 rejections and 1 pre-II hold from NYU which I'm almost certain is now an R. Still waiting to hear from 17 other schools so I'm hoping for a few more IIs. Don't count yourself out yet, but in the mean time I would plan for a reapplication and start moving now on improving your app. I assumed I was done for this cycle, so I started some new research just this month that I can now speak about during my interview. I'm hoping it'll play well that I'm actively seeking out new opportunities in addition to the ones I described in my application.
Wow that actually makes me feel a lot better. I've been planning for a reapp since October, mostly doing a lot of community service (I had none when I applied). When you say you're doing research, are we talking about a clinical research job at a teaching hospital? Labwork at a biotech company? I'm actually applying to clinical research jobs now but TBH I don't really know what I should be looking for and neither does my "advisor"