2018-2019 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II! V excited. I know they have super quick turnaround with decisions here, but if I interview on a Wednesday for example, would I hear back that Friday or the following week?
the same friday, so two days later, i loved that about UVA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II! V excited. I know they have super quick turnaround with decisions here, but if I interview on a Wednesday for example, would I hear back that Friday or the following week?

That Friday. I interviewed on a Thursday and got my acceptance less than 12 hours later.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there any kind of reception the night before? trying to figure out flights

Does anyone know whether the post-interview acceptance rate is significantly lower for Jan/Feb interview dates than it is for earlier dates?

To those of you curious, I just called and they said they are interviewing till the end of February.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS, still waiting on a potential II. Does Virginia like letters of interest? This is definitely my top school.

OOS, still waiting on a potential II. Does Virginia like letters of interest? This is definitely my top school.

At this point it can't really hurt, right? I would just send one. Maybe make it even stronger, a letter of intent. Saying you will go there if accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
II received today (complete late July). Withdrawing my application to focus on other schools. Best of luck to all still in it!

Reactions: 9 users
I read on the interview feedback thread that UVA has mandatory rural clinical rotations. Does anyone know whether that's true?

I read on the interview feedback thread that UVA has mandatory rural clinical rotations. Does anyone know whether that's true?
I have a few friends who go there and are currently wrapping up clerkships... This is true! But they seemed to really enjoy them. UVA covers your housing and whatnot too, so it’s no worry on that front

I have a few friends who go there and are currently wrapping up clerkships... This is true! But they seemed to really enjoy them. UVA covers your housing and whatnot too, so it’s no worry on that front
That's good to hear. Rural family med is my jam so it's nice to know that (if accepted) I could get plenty of exposure. Any chance you know where the clerkships are located, specifically?

That's good to hear. Rural family med is my jam so it's nice to know that (if accepted) I could get plenty of exposure. Any chance you know where the clerkships are located, specifically?
Send me a message and we can talk about it :)

IS applicant and UVA grad here. Pretty shocked I haven't even gotten an II from my alma mater. I'm concerned about the IS residency form being a problem since it specifies that it's mandatory for receiving an II. I never received any confirmation from anyone at the office of residency status that it was received via email, and the portal doesn't update to reflect that it's submitted. Did anyone else get confirmation or is radio silence on their end just normal?

IS applicant and UVA grad here. Pretty shocked I haven't even gotten an II from my alma mater. I'm concerned about the IS residency form being a problem since it specifies that it's mandatory for receiving an II. I never received any confirmation from anyone at the office of residency status that it was received via email, and the portal doesn't update to reflect that it's submitted. Did anyone else get confirmation or is radio silence on their end just normal?
I received no confirmation of any sort as well. When I called about an update, however, the kind admissions person checked for me and said that my IS status was accepted. No communication from them since sadly.

I received no confirmation of any sort as well. When I called about an update, however, the kind admissions person checked for me and said that my IS status was accepted. No communication from them since sadly.
Thanks for the heads up. Did you directly call admissions or the office of residency?

Thanks for the heads up. Did you directly call admissions or the office of residency?
Admissions. I think no news probably means that it was accepted though. They would contact you if not (my guess)

Does anyone know approx. when offers for merit aid go out? I feel like I remember seeing March/April somewhere

Reactions: 1 users
Still hoping for some in-state, alma mater love...

II today, OOS complete 7/19. Does anyone know if i still have a chance at this point?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!! First and only interview, first acceptance! Walked out of the interview feeling so iffy about it and honestly felt sick with anxiety last couple days. This whole process has just been so stressful being a reapplicant and not hearing back until late. Anyone out there who may not be having luck this cycle and planning for a reapplication, feel free to PM me I'm happy to share the things I did to improve my application

i would love whatever advice you’re willing to give! How many gap years did you take? I guess I’m wondering how I improve significantly since I’d have to start applying again in 5 months!!! Still waiting to hear from some schools I interviewed with but not feeling too confident anymore;(

How do out of state people get to Charlottesville? Is it more convenient/cheap to fly straight there, or is it better to fly to a relatively close airport like in DC or Richmond and then rent a car from there?

You should check current prices, but when I interviewed it was only like $40 less expensive to fly into DC (and Richmond was actually more expensive). That wasn’t enough cheaper to make up for what it would cost to rent a car. So I just flew into Charlottesville and used Uber (it’s not too far between the school and airport). Plus you’ll probably be able to split the return trip to the airport with another interviewee.

II today!! OOS, complete 8/21 with updates sent on 1/7. Five dates in mid-Feb showed up when I went to schedule. So excited!

Does anyone know much about the waitlist at UVA? I had my interview last week and I was put on the waitlist Friday morning. There’s the information on the FAQ with it being between 100-200 people, but beyond the information on the FAQ, does anyone know anything else or has anyone come off the waitlist? Thanks

What day did you interview?

They are not done interviewing, will interview until the end of February

Just got an II yesterday (OOS)! I hadn't heard from them since I submitted my secondary in July, and there were still dates available during the first week of March, so don't lose hope! I just sent grade updates, no LOI.

Reactions: 5 users
maybe they send out invites to OOS first, since it’s harder for them to travel to UVA (flights, hotels, etc) compared to IS?

I don’t know I am just hoping there is an IS invite wave.

Reactions: 1 users
maybe they send out invites to OOS first, since it’s harder for them to travel to UVA (flights, hotels, etc) compared to IS?

I don’t know I am just hoping there is an IS invite wave.
I will choose to be optimistic and say yes :)))