2018-2019 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II, IS Complete 7/20ish

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the best way to inquire about the status of my application? I was complete about 4 months ago (OOS) and haven't heard anything back. Is it likely that I would get a solid answer by just calling them?

What's the best way to inquire about the status of my application? I was complete about 4 months ago (OOS) and haven't heard anything back. Is it likely that I would get a solid answer by just calling them?
Based on what I've read on this and just about every other thread, calling them would not yield any useful information. If you haven't heard back, they haven't made a decision yet. Most of my "application complete" emails explicitly state something to the effect of "we know you're anxious to hear from us about your application, but please don't contact us about this." I'm not an expert or anything, but FWIW I haven't heard back yet either and I'm definitely not going to be calling them.

Reactions: 1 user
its majority of people, I think. I am IS, was complete on 7/7/2018... and still nothing. So, honestly, my best advice - just wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when they are sending out a first big wave of rejections ? Or have they already ?

II today! complete mid/late July, so there's hope!

Reactions: 4 users
According to a spreadsheet I found, UVA's post-II acceptance rate for OOS applicants is 69%. Does anyone know if this is remotely accurate? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else feel like in-state II's have been minimal to this point? I'm 3.87, 515, and UVA undergrad yet still haven't heard back... I'd be heartbroken if UVA didn't even extend an interview

Does anyone else feel like in-state II's have been minimal to this point? I'm 3.87, 515, and UVA undergrad yet still haven't heard back... I'd be heartbroken if UVA didn't even extend an interview
Definitely !!!! This is weird !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm IS, kind of gave up hope at this point. I have around UVA's MCAT avg but a lower GPA and they seem to like their high stat people according to the high LM I have seen here

According to a spreadsheet I found, UVA's post-II acceptance rate for OOS applicants is 69%. Does anyone know if this is remotely accurate? Thank you!

I believe you are referencing USNWR. UVA website says their post II acceptance is around 45% - I reconciled some of the USNWR numbers with MSAR and a lot of numbers do seem to match up (total interviews extended, IS/OOS interviews). MSAR only includes matriculated information, not accepted, so it's hard to fully verify. I think that the acceptance rate is likely higher than the listed 45% but not sure if its quite as high as suggested by USNWR.

I have pretty much identical stats to you and am IS and very recently (like 2 weeks ago) got an invite and am interviewing this week. So they still have lots of interviewing to go it seems. Dunno if this helps but I thought id say it

ACCEPTED on Friday, the 14th! SO beyond thrilled and excited. It's so good to know I will be starting the next step next year.

Reactions: 7 users
I submitted around 9/20 and am figuring out when I would receive an II. Anyone who completed around the same time received II already?

Just looked at the application and it says "VIRGINIA IN-STATE EDUCATIONAL PRIVILEGES FORM must be received before an invitation for interview can be made." Was I the only one that totally missed this? I had a quick look while I was filling out the application back in July and on the form it says I just have to do it before the day of classes so I was going to wait to see if I would've been even been offered an interview / accepted before I filled it out.

Needless to say, I'm kind of bummed if this would have ruined my chance to get an interview.

Just looked at the application and it says "VIRGINIA IN-STATE EDUCATIONAL PRIVILEGES FORM must be received before an invitation for interview can be made." Was I the only one that totally missed this? I had a quick look while I was filling out the application back in July and on the form it says I just have to do it before the day of classes so I was going to wait to see if I would've been even been offered an interview / accepted before I filled it out.

Needless to say, I'm kind of bummed if this would have ruined my chance to get an interview.
Do you have to do this even if you’re an out of state applicant? I never filled it out and also am bummed if this was the reason I never was extended an II

Do you have to do this even if you’re an out of state applicant? I never filled it out and also am bummed if this was the reason I never was extended an II
No I think it only applies to instate applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II today, my first one ever! LM 78-79, complete 8/21. Just sent an update letter a couple weeks ago describing some volunteering I did and reiterating my interest in the school. I received the confirmation email for my update yesterday.

Dates are late Jan, early Feb. Do you think it matters which one I pick given that it's a a small window? I feel like I need as much prep time as possible.

Hi! Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook page or separate forum for accepted students? I’m just trying to figure out housing!

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone who has already interviewed comment on the extent to which you were asked about topics related to healthcare policy?

Can anyone who has already interviewed comment on the extent to which you were asked about topics related to healthcare policy?
None at all. My interviews were very conversational and relaxed :)

My interviewer asked me how I could justify dedicating so much government funding for improving the understanding and treatment of cardiac diseases when there are people who lack access to basic healthcare. Definitely a fair question, as I'm working full time doing cardio research. All of your questions will be tailored around your personal experiences, so if you're like me and getting paid from government grant- be prepared to talk about the implications of your work! :)

I was a bit unprepared to answer this question and felt nervous walking out of this particular interview, but I was accepted! (OOS LM80)

How late into the season do they extend interviews? I’m OOS and wondering if it’s worth it to send an update now or if it would be futile

How late into the season do they extend interviews? I’m OOS and wondering if it’s worth it to send an update now or if it would be futile
I sent an update a couple weeks ago and just got an II yesterday, the day after receiving an email notifying me that my update had been added to my file.

also, does anyone know more about the generalist scholars? is it worth applying to if you're not 100% set on primary care?

I sent an update a couple weeks ago and just got an II yesterday, the day after receiving an email notifying me that my update had been added to my file.
Did you e-mail the update to admissions?

I didn't get any question like that on mine! Mine was more about my story, interests and community service. Very conversational. Only one of the interviewers ask me about what I would do given an ethical dilemma.

I didn't get any question like that on mine! Mine was more about my story, interests and community service. Very conversational. Only one of the interviewers ask me about what I would do given an ethical dilemma.
Thanks, thats helpful.

Have any accepted students received info about background checks yet? Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything!

I still haven't received a background check request yet. Its possible UVA hasn't sent the accepted students info to AAMC/Certiphi yet.

Holding out hope that there is an in-state wave of IIs coming soon!~ I know UVA runs interviews later in the cycle than most of Virginia schools so chances might be ok? Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far!

Just got an II! V excited. I know they have super quick turnaround with decisions here, but if I interview on a Wednesday for example, would I hear back that Friday or the following week?

Just got an II! V excited. I know they have super quick turnaround with decisions here, but if I interview on a Wednesday for example, would I hear back that Friday or the following week?
Congrats!! When were you complete? Also are you IS or OOS?