2018-2019 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the prompts (all have a limit of 350 words or less):

1.Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

3. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

For MSTP applicants, there is also a fourth essay of 350 words or less with the following prompt:

Below, please briefly discuss:

a) the areas of biomedical research that interest you the most and why.

b) the discovery in your laboratory experience that excited you the most and why.

Interview Feedback: University of Virginia School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. Their website says they should send them out automatically once they receive AMCAS application, but I never got one so I had to email them about it and they sent it the next business day. Here are the prompts (all have a limit of 350 words or less):

1.Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received. Their website says they should send them out automatically once they receive AMCAS application, but I never got one so I had to email them about it and they sent it the next business day. Here are the prompts (all have a limit of 350 words or less):

+1

Ok random but on the pdf form to request education rights in Virginia it will not let me check off united states resident without the asylee box also checking. anyone else having trouble with this?

edit: I ended up just manually typing an X on the box, funny little glitch though

Last edited:
Ok random but on the pdf form to request education rights in Virginia it will not let me check off united states resident without the asylee box also checking. anyone else having trouble with this?

edit: I ended up just manually typing an X on the box, funny little glitch though

Yep I had the same problem. I just wrote that this was an issue in that area where you can explain something.

Should I send in a letter from a non-science TA? My two letters from science professors have been received, so I'm not sure if adding another letter will make any difference. If it counts for something, this non-science letter is fairly strong. Or is this an issue I should just call and directly ask admissions about?

Members don't see this ad :)
II received today!

Reactions: 1 users
For MSTP applicants, there is also a fourth essay of 350 words or less with the following prompt:

Below, please briefly discuss:

a) the areas of biomedical research that interest you the most and why.

b) the discovery in your laboratory experience that excited you the most and why.

@gyngyn

Reactions: 1 user
Did you guys get an email saying "complete" or does it just mark app complete (green checkmark) in the portal? I've got a checkmark but no email confirmation.

Did you guys get an email saying "complete" or does it just mark app complete (green checkmark) in the portal? I've got a checkmark but no email confirmation.
I didn't get a separate confirmation email or anything. 7/11 is the date that I submitted my secondary and got their automated message saying that it was received.

Also are you IS or OOS? Want to see if UVA is still focusing on OOS high stat apps first, i wanna feel some of that IS love
I know some other people who have received II's to UVA as well, and I believe we were all 520+ OOS

I didn't get a separate confirmation email or anything. 7/11 is the date that I submitted my secondary and got their automated message saying that it was received.

I know some other people who have received II's to UVA as well, and I believe we were all 520+ OOS

Congrats on your II! I also completed that day and am OOS 520+. I'll see how it goes, best of luck to all of you!

Does the UVA secondary ask you about any family members affiliated with the school?

I believe it only asks about family that went to UVA (alumni of any school), not family that currently works at UVA or anything like that.

@IS Applicants, did you receive confirmation from the Residency office when you sent in your form?

No, emailed them the form and didn't get a confirmation back

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda after the fact, but I received an interview invite on 7/13

How long did it take for people's letter of recommendations to be marked as received after submitting their secondary?

does anyone know if they update status in the portal to "hold", or something like that? I have "your application is ready for review" now. So, I am wondering what exactly could that mean? (does it really mean that they haven't reviewed it yet, or it means that they did, and did not like me). Also, do you know if they would send rejection letter, or are they one of those schools that just hangs you waiting till the end of the season?

I am IS, btw.

does anyone know if they update status in the portal to "hold", or something like that? I have "your application is ready for review" now. So, I am wondering what exactly could that mean? (does it really mean that they haven't reviewed it yet, or it means that they did, and did not like me). Also, do you know if they would send rejection letter, or are they one of those schools that just hangs you waiting till the end of the season?

I am IS, btw.

I don't think they update their portal other than an II or a rejection, but to alleviate some fears I don't think they've sent much if any IS interview invites

Last edited: