2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I'm a less anxious/less neurotic applicants than most but I'm more discouraged that the first two people to post about getting off the waitlist here have LizzyM's of 73 lol. That is hiiiiiigh
Saaaaaaame... hoping they were the outliers of us leftovers...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I have come to the conclusion us low scorers have just no shot. What it comes down to is that the applications looks so darn similar the only thing is scores and GPA. Oh well onto DO school for me.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't pay too much attention to LM Scores. I have a LM score of 74-75 and I'm in the same position you guys are in. I believe scores matter most to get an interview, but after that it comes down to your qualities and experiences. At this point, I think it just comes down to whose experiences and interview answers bet fits their school's mission.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't pay too much attention to LM Scores. I have a LM score of 74-75 and I'm in the same position you guys are in. I believe scores matter most to get an interview, but after that it comes down to your qualities and experiences. At this point, I think it just comes down to whose experiences and interview answers bet fits their school's mission.
Agreed. And let's not forget the secret ingredient...human unpredictability aka luck.

Does anyone know what the exam schedule is like for VCU? Are they once every couple of weeks? Also does anyone know about how many hours of mandatory classes and meetings there are during a week here?

Students on interview day said every 2 weeks on average. There aren’t many mandatory classes aside from labs and some other events

Anyone else discouraged to hear there are 250+ people on the waitlist? Dean mission also mentioned there were 250+ people last year too, but I thought MSAR said 100.
MSAR costs money. If we pay for it, we deserve accuracy. MSAR should say "unknown" if waitlist sizes or movement are unknown. It is better to put nothing than to put inaccurate info.

Reactions: 5 users
MSAR costs money. If we pay for it, we deserve accuracy. MSAR should say "unknown" if waitlist sizes or movement are unknown. It is better to put nothing than to put inaccurate info.
The msar has a lot of discrepancies compared to the data that schools give out whether it’s the number of interviews, average scores or whatever. It’s a good tool that makes searching for approximations easy, but it’s by no means accurate and shouldn’t be treated like gospel

Reactions: 1 user
I guess since the currently filled class is heavily OOS and it was mentioned in QnA that the class will balance out IS/OOS via waitlists, there will be more movements for IS until it is balanced out? Kinda confused

I guess since the currently filled class is heavily OOS and it was mentioned in QnA that the class will balance out IS/OOS via waitlists, there will be more movements for IS until it is balanced out? Kinda confused

That's what it sounds like. Historically though OOS has better WL movement. Looks like maybe a lot of IS spots will be offered right after traffic day to achieve balance then will go back to being normal.

That's what it sounds like. Historically though OOS has better WL movement. Looks like maybe a lot of IS spots will be offered right after traffic day to achieve balance then will go back to being normal.
goalsss

if a spot opened up, is the acceptance automatically made to the next person on the rank list by the computer system or do the Deans select the applicant from a pool of applicants with similar rank?

I hope my question makes sense.

if a spot opened up, is the acceptance automatically made to the next person on the rank list by the computer system or do the Deans select the applicant from a pool of applicants with similar rank?

I hope my question makes sense.
No idea if this has changed but Last year they told me that it is pretty subjective since they have to balance the class out demographics wise

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I hope all the accepted students are excited to start this fall! If you haven’t already, join the official accepted students Facebook group to get started on finding roommates/housing and see who else is in your class!

Since today is one of the two deadlines, how early do you all suspect we would hear back by? I think applicants have to narrow down to 3 schools by 11:59 PM tonight. But I've been reading online that this isn't strictly enforced and that some students are holding onto acceptances until they hear back for financial aid packages.
I'm holding out for Friday 5/3.

I would think/hope those select few that had >3 acceptances have already narrowed it down and today will not be that impactful.

Last edited:
Accepted! Came off the alternate list earlier this afternoon!

Reactions: 11 users
I was notified yesterday around 4pm or so, just got an email saying my status had changed or something along those lines.

If you are on desktop version, says 65-67 in his signature I think.

Got off alternate list yesterday around 6 pm EDT. OOS. LizzyM 70. Interviewed in March.

So that makes 4 people off the waitlist at least on SDN? The list is moving.(without me....T_T)

Reactions: 4 users
I was notified yesterday around 4pm or so, just got an email saying my status had changed or something along those lines.
The fact that we get a presumably prompt email should be a deterrent from constantly checking the portal, but na...

I don't know what's worse, getting a phone call from an 804 number and then getting my hopes up that I got off the waitlist only to hear a robot trying to sell me Medicare, or seeing an email with "your application" in the title only for it to be a rejection by a school I long forgot about

Last edited:
I don't know what's worse, getting a phone call from an 804 number and then getting my hopes up that I got off the waitlist only to hear a robot trying to sell me Medicare, or seeing an email with "your application" in the title only for it to be a rejection by a school I long forgot about

SAME. Virginia is torturing me today.

For people who got in, where can I find the orientation website with the matriculation checklist and forms? Thank you

For people who got in, where can I find the orientation website with the matriculation checklist and forms? Thank you

It hasn’t come up yet - they sent an email that it should be available starting April 19th.

is the commit to enroll deadline april 30th for vcu? sorry having trouble accessing the matriculation page :(

is the commit to enroll deadline april 30th for vcu? sorry having trouble accessing the matriculation page :(

Would also like to know this, as this would give us insight into the WL movement. @Dean Mission would you be able to tell us when the deadline is? Or if anyone has called VCUSOM to ask would you be able to comment the date?

Would also like to know this, as this would give us insight into the WL movement. @Dean Mission would you be able to tell us when the deadline is? Or if anyone has called VCUSOM to ask would you be able to comment the date?

You have to choose only one school by April 30th which is what will affect waitlist movement. You don't have to choose "Commit to Enroll" until closer to the matriculation date if it's like most other schools.

You have to choose only one school by April 30th which is what will affect waitlist movement. You don't have to choose "Commit to Enroll" until closer to the matriculation date if it's like most other schools.

I only see the option for “Plan to Enroll” right now, I thought the “commit to enroll” option opened up on april 30th? Am I wrong?

does that mean we have to withdraw all our other applications, WL, and acceptances by april 30?

does that mean we have to withdraw all our other applications, WL, and acceptances by april 30?

No, you don't have to give up your waitlists by April 30th unless you're 100% set on a certain school. You can then choose "Commit to Enroll" which I believe will withdraw your other applications and waitlists.

Edit: It doesn't automatically withdraw you. You have to withdraw on your own.

Last edited:
I only see the option for “Plan to Enroll” right now, I thought the “commit to enroll” option opened up on april 30th? Am I wrong?

It opens up on April 30th, but you don't have to choose it until closer to matriculation. I think you just need to choose "Plan to Enroll" on your top choice you've been accepted to for now if there are waitlists you are hoping to get off of that you'd rather attend. I could be wrong about that last point though because I don't have multiple acceptances so I'm not sure what the Choose Your Medical School page looks like in that situation.

No, you don't have to give up your waitlists by April 30th unless you're 100% set on a certain school. You can then choose "Commit to Enroll" which I believe will withdraw your other applications and waitlists.

I was under the impression that it doesn't automatically withdraw you from anything, and that we would have to do all of that ourselves upon choosing the final school.

You can only have one school that you “plan to enroll” by April 30th. That means you have to withdraw all your other ACCEPTANCES. However, you can still remain WAITLISTED for as many schools as possible. If you got off the waitlist after April 30th, you have x number of days to notify the school and AMCAS if you wanted to change your “plan to enroll” option. Sometimes before matriculation, you have to “commit to enroll” to a school.

Source: me lol, correct me if wronged

I was under the impression that it doesn't automatically withdraw you from anything, and that we would have to do all of that ourselves upon choosing the final school.

Looks like you're correct. Just looked it up and it says if you select "Commit to Enroll" you are acknowledging that you've withdrawn from all schools, including waitlists, but you have to do it on your own.

You can only have one school that you “plan to enroll” by April 30th. That means you have to withdraw all your other ACCEPTANCES. However, you can still remain WAITLISTED for as many schools as possible. If you got off the waitlist after April 30th, you have x number of days to notify the school and AMCAS if you wanted to change your “plan to enroll” option. Sometimes before matriculation, you have to “commit to enroll” to a school.

Source: me lol, correct me if wronged

Just to make sure I get this right lol so by end of day April 30th, I have to click plan to enroll on one school AND withdraw all other acceptances? but I can stay on waitlists. Correct?

Just to make sure I get this right lol so by end of day April 30th, I have to click plan to enroll on one school AND withdraw all other acceptances? but I can stay on waitlists. Correct?

correct

wondering if VCU had been pulling people off the waitlist since the last person posted on Monday :)

wondering if VCU had been pulling people off the waitlist since the last person posted on Monday :)
Every day :(:):)
There are a lot of active SDNers on this thread (moreso than other school-specific threads), so it seems somewhat logical to assume that lack of posts about acceptance off the WL means lack of acceptances off the WL. It should pick up around the 30th.

I hope we both get our 1st acceptance soon.

EVMS waitlist has had a lot of reported movement on SDN this past week, hopefully VCU picks up soon.