Mar 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
@Dean Mission Thank you so much for answering these questions yesterday. We all really appreciate it. A question recently crossed my mind after the session. If historically the OOS waitlist moves more than the IS because of proximity and financial reasons as stated earlier does that mean that the OOS waitlist is larger than the IS waitlist? Or are the two waitlists equally populated with the same number of students. In other words if there are 250 people on the waitlist does that mean there are 125 OOS and 125 IS or is it more like 175 OOS and 75 IS to account for a faster moving OOS waitlist?

Again thank you for your time throughout this entire application cycle answering our questions here on SDN.

Raavenclaw

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else discouraged to hear there are 250+ people on the waitlist? Dean mission also mentioned there were 250+ people last year too, but I thought MSAR said 100.

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else discouraged to hear there are 250+ people on the waitlist? Dean mission also mentioned there were 250+ people last year too, but I thought MSAR said 100.
Yeah, the MSAR said 75 out of 100 were accepted off the waitlist I believe. I know Dean Mission mentioned more people would likely be WL'ed this year, but a 150+ increase is a lot :/

Reactions: Raavenclaw

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Sometimes I really wish VA state schools were more into us IS candidates, like Texas or West Virginia :rolleyes: I guess the 50/50 distribution helps qualified OOS candidates a lot too, but I feel like it makes these schools tougher to get into as IS compared to others

jpvn2015

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah that was pretty discouraging but at least we know the reality of the situation now. I remember hearing that VCU extends usually a little more than 300 offers of admission. That leaves about 125 spots for the 250-ish on the WL, so it's still decent odds.

thelonelyant

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I have come to the conclusion us low scorers have just no shot. What it comes down to is that the applications looks so darn similar the only thing is scores and GPA. Oh well onto DO school for me.

Oct 18, 2018
I wouldn't pay too much attention to LM Scores. I have a LM score of 74-75 and I'm in the same position you guys are in. I believe scores matter most to get an interview, but after that it comes down to your qualities and experiences. At this point, I think it just comes down to whose experiences and interview answers bet fits their school's mission.

Jul 6, 2017
Richmond, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't pay too much attention to LM Scores. I have a LM score of 74-75 and I'm in the same position you guys are in. I believe scores matter most to get an interview, but after that it comes down to your qualities and experiences. At this point, I think it just comes down to whose experiences and interview answers bet fits their school's mission.
Agreed. And let's not forget the secret ingredient...human unpredictability aka luck.

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Does anyone know what the exam schedule is like for VCU? Are they once every couple of weeks? Also does anyone know about how many hours of mandatory classes and meetings there are during a week here?
Students on interview day said every 2 weeks on average. There aren’t many mandatory classes aside from labs and some other events

Oct 7, 2018
MSAR costs money. If we pay for it, we deserve accuracy. MSAR should say "unknown" if waitlist sizes or movement are unknown. It is better to put nothing than to put inaccurate info.

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
MSAR costs money. If we pay for it, we deserve accuracy. MSAR should say "unknown" if waitlist sizes or movement are unknown. It is better to put nothing than to put inaccurate info.
The msar has a lot of discrepancies compared to the data that schools give out whether it’s the number of interviews, average scores or whatever. It’s a good tool that makes searching for approximations easy, but it’s by no means accurate and shouldn’t be treated like gospel

Reactions: Undercovernerd

topssure

2+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I guess since the currently filled class is heavily OOS and it was mentioned in QnA that the class will balance out IS/OOS via waitlists, there will be more movements for IS until it is balanced out? Kinda confused

jpvn2015

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess since the currently filled class is heavily OOS and it was mentioned in QnA that the class will balance out IS/OOS via waitlists, there will be more movements for IS until it is balanced out? Kinda confused
That's what it sounds like. Historically though OOS has better WL movement. Looks like maybe a lot of IS spots will be offered right after traffic day to achieve balance then will go back to being normal.

Reactions: Undercovernerd
Nov 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
if a spot opened up, is the acceptance automatically made to the next person on the rank list by the computer system or do the Deans select the applicant from a pool of applicants with similar rank?

I hope my question makes sense.

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
if a spot opened up, is the acceptance automatically made to the next person on the rank list by the computer system or do the Deans select the applicant from a pool of applicants with similar rank?

I hope my question makes sense.
No idea if this has changed but Last year they told me that it is pretty subjective since they have to balance the class out demographics wise

pewpew95

5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2013
Status
Hey guys, I hope all the accepted students are excited to start this fall! If you haven’t already, join the official accepted students Facebook group to get started on finding roommates/housing and see who else is in your class!

Jul 6, 2017
Richmond, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
Since today is one of the two deadlines, how early do you all suspect we would hear back by? I think applicants have to narrow down to 3 schools by 11:59 PM tonight. But I've been reading online that this isn't strictly enforced and that some students are holding onto acceptances until they hear back for financial aid packages.
I'm holding out for Friday 5/3.

I would think/hope those select few that had >3 acceptances have already narrowed it down and today will not be that impactful.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I was notified yesterday around 4pm or so, just got an email saying my status had changed or something along those lines.

Nov 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know what's worse, getting a phone call from an 804 number and then getting my hopes up that I got off the waitlist only to hear a robot trying to sell me Medicare, or seeing an email with "your application" in the title only for it to be a rejection by a school I long forgot about

Last edited:

I'mTheDoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know what's worse, getting a phone call from an 804 number and then getting my hopes up that I got off the waitlist only to hear a robot trying to sell me Medicare, or seeing an email with "your application" in the title only for it to be a rejection by a school I long forgot about
SAME. Virginia is torturing me today.

Mar 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
For people who got in, where can I find the orientation website with the matriculation checklist and forms? Thank you

Mar 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
is the commit to enroll deadline april 30th for vcu? sorry having trouble accessing the matriculation page :(
Would also like to know this, as this would give us insight into the WL movement. @Dean Mission would you be able to tell us when the deadline is? Or if anyone has called VCUSOM to ask would you be able to comment the date?

GetThatAcetoned

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
Would also like to know this, as this would give us insight into the WL movement. @Dean Mission would you be able to tell us when the deadline is? Or if anyone has called VCUSOM to ask would you be able to comment the date?
You have to choose only one school by April 30th which is what will affect waitlist movement. You don't have to choose "Commit to Enroll" until closer to the matriculation date if it's like most other schools.

Mar 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
You have to choose only one school by April 30th which is what will affect waitlist movement. You don't have to choose "Commit to Enroll" until closer to the matriculation date if it's like most other schools.
I only see the option for “Plan to Enroll” right now, I thought the “commit to enroll” option opened up on april 30th? Am I wrong?

Aug 24, 2018
does that mean we have to withdraw all our other applications, WL, and acceptances by april 30?

GetThatAcetoned

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
does that mean we have to withdraw all our other applications, WL, and acceptances by april 30?
No, you don't have to give up your waitlists by April 30th unless you're 100% set on a certain school. You can then choose "Commit to Enroll" which I believe will withdraw your other applications and waitlists.

Edit: It doesn't automatically withdraw you. You have to withdraw on your own.

Last edited:

GetThatAcetoned

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
I only see the option for “Plan to Enroll” right now, I thought the “commit to enroll” option opened up on april 30th? Am I wrong?
It opens up on April 30th, but you don't have to choose it until closer to matriculation. I think you just need to choose "Plan to Enroll" on your top choice you've been accepted to for now if there are waitlists you are hoping to get off of that you'd rather attend. I could be wrong about that last point though because I don't have multiple acceptances so I'm not sure what the Choose Your Medical School page looks like in that situation.