2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Checked and got tabs around 2:00 pm today. Logged onto AMCAS and saw VCU as an option under the Choose Your Medical School tool, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. 5 interviews this cycle and 5 waitlists had me feeling bummed. I am straight up cryin' in the club right now...got passed up on all 4 acceptance dates, but here we are...momma I made it!!!!

Here's my application at a glance:
Stats: 510 MCAT (low CARS), 3.73 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA
Demographics: IS, Male, Asian
Interviewed: Mid September 2018
Alternate List: Mid March 2019
Congrats man! As an IS Asian male, I draw hope from your post. Did you send a LOI at any point ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Physician I scribe for just sent a letter of rec to admissions today. We'll see if it bumps me over the hump. Congrats to everyone that got in on traffic day!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my A, OOS. I loved my visit at VCU. Truly an amazing school. I hope one of you get accepted. Hang in there guys

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats man! As an IS Asian male, I draw hope from your post. Did you send a LOI at any point ?

I sent a letter of interest the day after my interview lol but other than that I sent 3 updates just to keep them in the loop.

Accepted off the waitlist 4/29, IS (I will be withdrawing)! I know two other IS people who were accepted yesterday as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! What were your alls stats if you don't mind sharing? Just so we get a gauge of what kinds of applicants are coming off the WL.
Sure! I am not sure about the other two but mine were GPA 3.8 MCAT 516 :)

If I refresh my portal enough times I wonder if I can will tabs into existence.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist just after 6pm on April 29th! My first MD acceptance.

Notified by email saying "Update to application", then struggled to get onto VCU app portal, for some reason my computer struggles to connect with VCU server, both on Firefox as well as Chrome.

Stats: GPA 3.92 MCAT 509, Undergrad final year BSc, OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone, so I've been perusing around the orientation website and was wondering if anybody knew how we go about ordering our white coats for orientation week?

Congrats! Did you see them just now, and did you see them prior to any email about a status change ?
I just checked this morning and they were there. And in my AMCAS I can commit to enroll to them.

I’m OOS LM 70. Interviewed late Jan

Congrats! For those accepted from the WL - how long do you have to decide on the acceptance?

Can any of the people accepted off the waitlist comment on if they said they had been accepted elsewhere when we were asked to disclose that info when we were placed on the waitlist?

Congrats! For those accepted from the WL - how long do you have to decide on the acceptance?
It was two weeks for everyone accepted up to April 30th. From May 1 onwards it is one week. But only a $100 fee, so nothing to prevent one from accepting and decline later.

Reactions: 2 users
Can any of the people accepted off the waitlist comment on if they said they had been accepted elsewhere when we were asked to disclose that info when we were placed on the waitlist?
I was accepted off of the waitlist and had been accepted elsewhere before/reported that on the question!

Reactions: 2 users
Each morning, I open up my VCU Medapp portal with a surge of fresh hope that there might be some new tabs. I then try pretty hard not to check it every hour and remind myself of these three quotes "It is what it is," "Do your best, Leave the rest," and "Expect the Unexpected." At the end of it all, I check the portal again hoping to see an unexpected tab surprise. Sometimes, I feel like the whole med school process really keeps the hope alive (even if it's until the last minute) :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
Each morning, I open up my VCU Medapp portal with a surge of fresh hope that there might be some new tabs. I then try pretty hard not to check it every hour and remind myself of these three quotes "It is what it is," "Do your best, Leave the rest," and "Expect the Unexpected." At the end of it all, I check the portal again hoping to see an unexpected tab surprise. Sometimes, I feel like the whole med school process really keeps the hope alive (even if it's until the last minute) :rolleyes:

Preach :horns::xf:

Congrats!! just dropped the school yesterday -- hope you all see some WL movement!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!! just dropped the school yesterday -- hope you all see some WL movement!

I didn't get in to the school lol but I'm really hoping I do! Thanks for dropping :)

Reactions: 3 users
As this week comes to a close I'm feeling discouraged. What is everyone else doing to stay positive? (if you are like me and still refreshing like mad that is.) I know what is supposed to be will be, but all tips are welcomed! :) We got this fam.

Shoutout to my IS homies: hope is not lost!! Interviewed in September and got off the alternate list yesterday (first acceptance!). Beyond excited to be going to my dream school next year!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Shoutout to my IS homies: hope is not lost!! Interviewed in September and got off the alternate list yesterday (first acceptance!). Beyond excited to be going to my dream school next year!!!

Congrats what were your stats? and email notification?

As this week comes to a close I'm feeling discouraged. What is everyone else doing to stay positive? (if you are like me and still refreshing like mad that is.) I know what is supposed to be will be, but all tips are welcomed! :) We got this fam.

I‘m treating this as a reject and preparing my application and studying for an MCAT retake. def not going to the pod squad leggo fam

I‘m treating this as a reject and preparing my application and studying for an MCAT retake. def not going to the pod squad leggo fam
Yes this is healthiest. Regardless, it is hard.

Does anyone know when most WL movement will likely be over at VCU? In a week or 2?

Yes this is healthiest. Regardless, it is hard.

Does anyone know when most WL movement will likely be over at VCU? In a week or 2?

Probably probably over by mid may or at least way over the majority of the movement. Moving on to DO oh well :(

Hey guys! Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Hey guys! Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a Facebook group for accepted students?
Yes there should be a link up in the thread or just type in VCU/MCV Class of 2023 in your FB searchbar

Probably probably over by mid may or at least way over the majority of the movement. Moving on to DO oh well :(

In last year’s thread someone made a spreadsheet noting the ones who got accepted and report it and it seemed like the movement was happening all the way to the end of May at a basically the same pace! Considering the slow movement this year, I speculate that it might even go further. *fingerscrossed*

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know what is the procedure VCU is following in terms of PTE and CTE? Do they require accepted students to choose any of these in any specific date?

Does anyone know anything about the new construction happening at VCU health? What’s going up there?

First time poster who just got in after being waitlisted for two straight years by multiple schools. I can say from a wealth of experience that I know just how frustrating and demoralizing this process can be at times. Watching friends get in and go off to school while I was left obsessively hitting the refresh button, holding my breath that I would be the next one on the list was tortuous. My best recommendation is this: live your life. Apply for that job out of your comfort zone, don't be afraid to move/relocate, never stop challenging yourself, and never stop making new connections and meeting new people. Don't obsess over what you think the admissions committees want you to be doing. Do what makes you happy and if that's medicine, then the rest will fall in place. Above all else, never give up hope. If you know that you have what it takes, be confident and it will show. I wish you all the best of luck

Reactions: 17 users
Was accepted off of the waitlist yesterday at 6pm (didn’t see the email until just now... )
Out of state, interviewed in October.
I’ll be giving up my spot though, so there is hope yet for any of you still waiting! Good luck to everyone xx

Reactions: 11 users