2018-2019 Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
come on Brown, send some love!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wow that is quite a quick turn around!! congrats!!

Thanks! I was also surprised by how quick the turnaround was. I think someone on here got an II the day after he/she submitted their secondary which I think is even crazier :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I was also surprised by how quick the turnaround was. I think someone on here got an II the day after he/she submitted their secondary which I think is even crazier :)
Haha would you mind sharing your MCAT/gpa?

II today!!!!!!!!!!!!! complete 7/27/2018 OOS! SO EXCITED

Reactions: 9 users
do you think it's too late to submit secondary?

Anybody complete after 09/06 got an interview yet? :)

Freaking out. Got an email from Brown saying they're withdrawing my app because I haven't responded to their II email but I never got that email!!! Checked everywhere, spam, junk, trash, you name it and nothing. I was able to schedule the interview in the portal though without issue and even got an interview confirmation email. Not sure if I still have the interview or if I was officially withdrawn. This is a nightmare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freaking out. Got an email from Brown saying they're withdrawing my app because I haven't responded to their II email but I never got that email!!! Checked everywhere, spam, junk, trash, you name it and nothing. I was able to schedule the interview in the portal though without issue and even got an interview confirmation email. Not sure if I still have the interview or if I was officially withdrawn. This is a nightmare.
That is a nightmare, hope it works out!! Which email are you using? I sometimes have similar issues with outlook

That is a nightmare, hope it works out!! Which email are you using? I sometimes have similar issues with outlook
I'm using gmail. I haven't had any issues with missing emails because I have a separate email for med school admissions which notifies me right away when I get an email. Also, like many of you neurotic applicants, I check my spam, trash, and everything on a regular basis so it's highly unlikely that I missed anything. When I even go under the communication status in the portal it just skips from 1) complete email --> 2) withdrawal notice --> 3) interview confirmation email, so no interview invite email. Crazy situation, and to make things worse, I got the withdrawal notice just after the office of admissions closed. So here I am, left to dwell on this situation and probably not going to get any sleep tonight. We'll see what happens.

I'm using gmail. I haven't had any issues with missing emails because I have a separate email for med school admissions which notifies me right away when I get an email. Also, like many of you neurotic applicants, I check my spam, trash, and everything on a regular basis so it's highly unlikely that I missed anything. When I even go under the communication status in the portal it just skips from 1) complete email --> 2) withdrawal notice --> 3) interview confirmation email, so no interview invite email. Crazy situation, and to make things worse, I got the withdrawal notice just after the office of admissions closed. So here I am, left to dwell on this situation and probably not going to get any sleep tonight. We'll see what happens.
There's nothing you can do now. I would definitely call first thing tomorrow though and explain the situation!

I would also take a screen shot of your portal if you haven’t already

Update: the withdrawal email was a mistake, I was actually invited to interview!!! I am in absolute shock and disbelief!! What a roller coaster of emotions. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 15 users
Update: the withdrawal email was a mistake, I was actually invited to interview!!! I am in absolute shock and disbelief!! What a roller coaster of emotions. Best of luck to everyone!
should be an auto-acceptance for what they put you through!:laugh: good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
should be an auto-acceptance for what they put you through!:laugh: good luck!
Wouldn't that be nice haha. I received a very warm email from the director of admissions about the mistake at this late hour, so that more than makes up for it in my books. Now instead of not being able to sleep because of worry, I won't be able to sleep out of excitement :laugh:.

And thanks and good luck to you too :)

Reactions: 6 users
I apologize for hijacking this thread again.

So I've been reading conflicting information about the post-II acceptance rate here. The 2018 US NEWS data shows that the post-II acceptance rate for OOS is ~87% (even higher for IS), which is incredibly high, but I've read in past threads that the post-II acceptance rate is closer to 50%. Which is it for those of us not applying through PMLE or early decision? Did they mention the post-II chances for anyone who interviewed this cycle already?

Last edited:
I apologize for hijacking this thread again.

So I've been reading conflicting information about the post-II acceptance rate here. The 2018 US NEWS data shows that the post-II acceptance rate for OOS is ~87% (even higher for IS), which is incredibly high, but I've read in past threads that the post-II acceptance rate is closer to 50%. Which is it for those of us not applying through PMLE or early decision? Did they mention the post-II chances for anyone who interviewed this cycle already?

Yes, at the interview they said it's about 50%, including waitlist movement. It's skewed on US News due to the several linkage programs they have (mostly PMLE).

Reactions: 1 users
Wow I'm so excited got an II :D
I applied there just for fun omgeee~~~
Congrats to everyone else who got an interview!

Anyone remembers if acceptances come out anytime after October 15th or specifically November 19th?

Anyone remembers if acceptances come out anytime after October 15th or specifically November 19th?
We were told that they'd let us know on November 19. The Director of Admissions said something along the lines of "while there's a chance you might hear something from us before then, you should expect to get our decision on November 19"

Do you think it is worth sending an email to ask about this if I’ve been complete for almost 3 weeks and haven’t gotten anything? It does say on the portal they have everything so idk.

I don’t see the harm!

Just received it lmao, submitted 8/13

Lol same. I could have sworn that I have had the application complete green check in the portal for weeks now (committee letter was uploaded mid-August).

And then I randomnly got an email today saying my application is now complete. A MONTH AND A HALF after all my materials were in and received by Brown lol. I hope its just a weird logistical communication error and not that my application took this long to be actually complete....

Lol same. I could have sworn that I have had the application complete green check in the portal for weeks now (committee letter was uploaded mid-August).

And then I randomnly got an email today saying my application is now complete. A MONTH AND A HALF after all my materials were in and received by Brown lol. I hope its just a weird logistical communication error and not that my application took this long to be actually complete....
Same I had the green check mark basically right after I submitted, very strange

Has anyone interviewed here already and can speak to their experience? How many students interviewed with you?

I am in the same boat as many others here: Submitted on 8/26, received a notice that my secondary was received, and saw the green check mark on the status page (and all of my LORs also showed as received). However, I only JUST NOW received a complete email. Does this mean they are actually reviewing my file? I am scratching my head over the delay.

I am in the same boat as many others here: Submitted on 8/26, received a notice that my secondary was received, and saw the green check mark on the status page (and all of my LORs also showed as received). However, I only JUST NOW received a complete email. Does this mean they are actually reviewing my file? I am scratchi.ng my head over the delay.
I just spoke to someone in the Admissions Office. Apparently there was a technical glitch that caused some of us to not receive the "complete" email until long after we were complete. She assured me that my application was placed under review immediately after it was complete back in August. Hope this info helps reassure others.

Reactions: 2 users
Saaaaame what the heck! Really hope I’ve been complete all this time. Submitted my primary early August.

Sup! I'm a current MS1 who's currently taking a break from a slow death by biochem. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the application process, interview day and the school itself.

Sup! I'm a current MS1 who's currently taking a break from a slow death by biochem. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the application process, interview day and the school itself.
This school is non rolling right so even if we haven’t heard anything after submitting Julyish we shouldn’t freak out yet?

Also, what’s your favorite part about the school?

Is it true that there is a group interview portion to the day? I'm hearing mixed things.

@medschoolzombie Yes, admissions is non-rolling at Brown and it's super early in the interviewing season (mid-September to mid-February) so there is definitely plenty of time. There are usually about 2-3 waves of acceptances, with the first wave usually right before Thanksgiving. Brown also waitlists a ton of people and the waitlist is pretty active.

My favorite part of school is the community. Classmates are great and they really take good care of you here at Brown. Faculty and administration are invested in your success and they literally drown you in resources. Having pass/fail the first two years is really awesome (and I highly encourage attending a school with this grading system because you will be so much saner and happier because of it).

@muffin14 I can only speak from my own interview experience last cycle but I don't recall a group interview. You'll have two traditional interviews with faculty as well as a lunch with current MS1's & MS2's but the lunch is very informal and is more of a chance for you to learn more about the school.

@medschoolzombie Yes, admissions is non-rolling at Brown and it's super early in the interviewing season (mid-September to mid-February) so there is definitely plenty of time. There are usually about 2-3 waves of acceptances, with the first wave usually right before Thanksgiving. Brown also waitlists a ton of people and the waitlist is pretty active.

My favorite part of school is the community. Classmates are great and they really take good care of you here at Brown. Faculty and administration are invested in your success and they literally drown you in resources. Having pass/fail the first two years is really awesome (and I highly encourage attending a school with this grading system because you will be so much saner and happier because of it).

@muffin14 I can only speak from my own interview experience last cycle but I don't recall a group interview. You'll have two traditional interviews with faculty as well as a lunch with current MS1's & MS2's but the lunch is very informal and is more of a chance for you to learn more about the school.

Just had my interview, can attest all this is accurate

II this morning! Non-canadian International, complete 7/16

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted 2.5 months ago . Still waiting for my rejection letter :)
I just have that feeling where I am 99% sure that I will be rejected, but at the same time that 1% of hope that is left from not having been rejected yet is enough to keep alive the fantasy that maybe they will give me an II... and it's the feeling of having hope in a ship that is doomed to sink that really hurts.

Reactions: 6 users