2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you get a complete email after you get all the checkmarks? Anything else we need to do to ensure that we're complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do students at Wayne do research? How common is it for med students
It’s very common for the Masters program I was in and for MD/PhD obviously, but not very common for your standard MD student. At least during the M1 and M2 years. There’s just not much time between all the requirements and step 1.

It’s very common for the Masters program I was in and for MD/PhD obviously, but not very common for your standard MD student. At least during the M1 and M2 years. There’s just not much time between all the requirements and step 1.
Not even the summer?

Not even the summer?
They just changed the curriculum at Wayne, effective starting July 2018, so students go 18 months straight of material based learning for M1/M2, then 12 months of rotations, then 14 months of career-based learning before residency. I think they changed it so that you get a large break after M2 to study for step 1, which means no real summer between M1 and M2. If you're really concerned about it I would call admissions for more specifics/fact checking, but even MD/PhD students I know have to do the first 2 years of "book learning" before branching off into research projects.

anyone digitally signed the technical standards? i wonder if they accept electronic signatures

Most likely a Canadian applicant. There is a decent amount since Wayne is so close to the border.

For me it says "Upload a photocopy of your Visa". But I'm a Canadian applicant so I don't have that. Should I put a photo of my passport instead? It already says "Med School in Review" for me so I'm not sure if that means they have everything they need...

For me it says "Upload a photocopy of your Visa". But I'm a Canadian applicant so I don't have that. Should I put a photo of my passport instead? It already says "Med School in Review" for me so I'm not sure if that means they have everything they need...
Yeah they are assuming you're in the U.S. I "THINK" should use you passport or shoot them an email they are pretty nice.

When I click on the "secondary application" link, I get a blank page with the message "could not find person information." Whats up with that? Anyone else have this issue?
Got the same thing when I started the application today. Did it get fixed for you?

Can anyone confirm if Wayne State weights your last 30/35 completed units more heavily when considering your GPA? All I could find on their site is that a post-bac gpa with > 20 units replaces undergrad gpa. Thank you in advance for your help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone confirm if Wayne State weights your last 30/35 completed units more heavily when considering your GPA? All I could find on their site is that a post-bac gpa with > 20 units replaces undergrad gpa. Thank you in advance for your help.
Wayne does look at GPA trends but keep in mind that those 20+ credits need to be all science credits. The SMP at Wayne Med also has the same requirements for grade replacement. They are very strict about the 20 credit rule.

Wayne does look at GPA trends but keep in mind that those 20+ credits need to be all science credits. The SMP at Wayne Med also has the same requirements for grade replacement. They are very strict about the 20 credit rule.

Hi Toby from HR,

Thank you for your response! Do the 20+ credits need to be from a post-bac or will the school evaluate the last 20+ credits from an applicant's undergraduate record as well? The school's website mentions that the gpa from a 20+ credit post-bac will replace undergraduate gpa; however, I don't see any information about the school placing more emphasis on the students most recent undergraduate science coursework. I jumped from a 0.96 bcpm gpa my first year to 2.x my second year to 3.49 over my last 60 undergrad science credits. It would be huge for my app if the school gave more weight to those last 60 undergraduate science credits. Are there other schools that place similar emphasis on the most recent credits completed? Thank you again!

Got the same thing when I started the application today. Did it get fixed for you?
Yea, it got fixed for me. I emailed them when I had the issue and they told me to give it another 24-48 hours.

Hi Toby from HR,

Thank you for your response! Do the 20+ credits need to be from a post-bac or will the school evaluate the last 20+ credits from an applicant's undergraduate record as well? The school's website mentions that the gpa from a 20+ credit post-bac will replace undergraduate gpa; however, I don't see any information about the school placing more emphasis on the students most recent undergraduate science coursework. I jumped from a 0.96 bcpm gpa my first year to 2.x my second year to 3.49 over my last 60 undergrad science credits. It would be huge for my app if the school gave more weight to those last 60 undergraduate science credits. Are there other schools that place similar emphasis on the most recent credits completed? Thank you again!
To be honest, your situation seems pretty complex and more suited to DO schools and the holistic review process. But having GPA issues in general means you will probably need to apply to an SMP program. Wayne Med has one called the BMS program, and it will allow you to wipe your undergrad GPA once you complete 20+ science credits (doesn't mean all schools will do this but Wayne will). I would call and get more info to see if its a good fit for you.

To be honest, your situation seems pretty complex and more suited to DO schools and the holistic review process. But having GPA issues in general means you will probably need to apply to an SMP program. Wayne Med has one called the BMS program, and it will allow you to wipe your undergrad GPA once you complete 20+ science credits (doesn't mean all schools will do this but Wayne will). I would call and get more info to see if its a good fit for you.

Absolutely agree with you! I'm primarily applying to DO programs; however, I am applying to several allopathic programs as a hail mary. I realize how slim my chances actually are. I hope schools will recognize the upward trend and my final 60 bcpm credits.

I just submitted my secondary AND payed the fee- but the checklist doesn't show this, I just did it a few minutes ago, so I'll wait until morning, but has this happened to anyone else?

They just changed the curriculum at Wayne, effective starting July 2018, so students go 18 months straight of material based learning for M1/M2, then 12 months of rotations, then 14 months of career-based learning before residency. I think they changed it so that you get a large break after M2 to study for step 1, which means no real summer between M1 and M2. If you're really concerned about it I would call admissions for more specifics/fact checking, but even MD/PhD students I know have to do the first 2 years of "book learning" before branching off into research projects.

Hey y’all current M1 here just clarifying a few things. Yes we have an 18 month curriculum, but no that does not mean we won’t be able to do research. In fact, research has been integrated into our curriculum. So come November or so, we will be conducting research with a physician or PhD scientist of our choice. MD/PhDs have actually already started training in labs, and will be expected to come up with an idea for their research project within the next couple of weeks.

As for our break, no we do not have the typical summer break. Instead, we take our vacation from March 15th to April 16th, and then jump straight into second year. We will then finish second year in January, and have a 3 month duration to take Step 1. Y’all best believe my summer break will be inserted here. Cuba anyone?

With that being said, I truly believe the new curriculum here is for the better. Previous years had exams focused on minor details that lost students a lot of points, and were just overall irrelevant for Step. This year, we take NBME exams and non-graded weekly formative quizzes (to ensure we’re keeping up with the curriculum). We also have summative/cumulative exams at the end of every block...which is a bit scary. But this forces us to employ spaced repetition to make sure we don’t forget important details for Years 1 and 2. So in the end, while most schools do not employ this technique, it’s a good one that will benefit students. If anyone has anymore questions about Wayne, Detroit, or the curriculum, I’ll be happy to answer them :) Best of luck applying this cycle, and I’ll be seeing you at interviews. You’ll know I’m there when all your interview food is gone :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I just submitted my secondary AND payed the fee- but the checklist doesn't show this, I just did it a few minutes ago, so I'll wait until morning, but has this happened to anyone else?
It took a couple of days before the check mark showed for me. As long as you got the complete e-mail you're fine.

it says it on there that it takes 24 hrs

Currently have the "Medical school in for review" status. my secondary was complete 7/24. I think II are sent out first week of august

It took a couple of days before the check mark showed for me. As long as you got the complete e-mail you're fine.
Never got a complete email, but I did get the payment confirmation. The checklist now shows that I did submit the payment, but no change on secondary submission.

Never got a complete email, but I did get the payment confirmation. The checklist now shows that I did submit the payment, but no change on secondary submission.
You're lucky you got a secondary at least lol I don't know if they stopped sending them because of the issues or what but it's been like 3 weeks since the initial wave

You're lucky you got a secondary at least lol I don't know if they stopped sending them because of the issues or what but it's been like 3 weeks since the initial wave
I don't think so, I got mine yesterday. :thinking:

I applied to Wayne State on 7/21 and received the secondary on 7/23. Is anyone else having issues accessing the secondary from the
Med School Admission Application Status portal?

I applied to Wayne State on 7/21 and received the secondary on 7/23. Is anyone else having issues accessing the secondary from the
Mine was acting up originally but I ignored their given password and used my pre-exisiting one from Masters program. If you were/are a Wayne student then use your regular email password. If not then you might need to call.

Anyone know if it's okay to use "WSU" as the abbreviation in their secondary?

Yes! I keep getting "Could not find person information" message? Idk what's going on

Anyone know if it's okay to use "WSU" as the abbreviation in their secondary?
I would use WSUSOM or Wayne State University SOM. Those are the two they use frequently. Especially if you’ve already typed out the full name. I wish schools would tell you these types of things in the secondary prompts.

I would use WSUSOM or Wayne State University SOM. Those are the two they use frequently. Especially if you’ve already typed out the full name. I wish schools would tell you these types of things in the secondary prompts.

Bummer, looks like I’ll have to readjust for characters then lmao :help: Thanks though, and I do agree! It’s nice when they actually use the abbreviations in the prompts themselves.

Does anyone know how strict the 2 week deadline is? I didn't realize that there was a two week deadline because it wasn't on the email or website and so I submitted it a day late. Thanks and good luck! :)

Does anyone know how strict the 2 week deadline is? I didn't realize that there was a two week deadline because it wasn't on the email or website and so I submitted it a day late. Thanks and good luck! :)
Wait where does it say that there’s a 2 week deadline? I have yet to see a school that has a hard deadline like that

I know it’s tough with so many! I totally may be unaware of this deadline for some of my schools. Wayne is the only one I’m aware of now
My question is is it a hard deadline? A lot of other schools like netter/ wvu say 2 weeks but it’s recommended not a requirement

neurotic premed here. wrote wayne state on my essays instead of wayne state SOM. on a scale of 1-10 how bad should i be panicking lol. this is my dream school :( probably why i'm bugging this hard

neurotic premed here. wrote wayne state on my essays instead of wayne state SOM. on a scale of 1-10 how bad should i be panicking lol. this is my dream school :( probably why i'm bugging this hard
Probably a 0.

Reactions: 6 users