2018-2019 Wayne State University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i am SO aware of how crazy that sounded. i wrote that at peak anxiety levels in the middle of the night. now it is morning and i am ashamed LOL

I was debating for a while whether I wanted to apply DO or risk taking a gap year by only applying MD. I wanted MD bad. After I submitted my DO primary, I realized I had an ugly typo or two in each one of the 15 activity sections. I could've shot my self in the foot, but I took this as a sign from the med school gods to not to go the DO route and only proceeded to submit MD.
 
Quick question. So the secondary app asks a question to explain activities if you are a reapplicant. Do you answer this question if you are a reapplicant to medical school in general or is this just relevant if you have applied to Wayne State in the past?
 
Quick question. So the secondary app asks a question to explain activities if you are a reapplicant. Do you answer this question if you are a reapplicant to medical school in general or is this just relevant if you have applied to Wayne State in the past?

I have heard that people only answered it if they reapplied to Wayne State, but I, as a reapplicant in general but not to WSU, still answered the question. I think you can do either route... (sorry that's not of much help lol)
 
Hey folks, anyone here willing to swap Wayne secondaries?! My sister is sick of reading mine and I have no where else to go lol
 
What is the photo id they ask you to upload? Is that a government id (e.g. driver's license) or is it like other secondaries that ask for a photo of you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the photo id they ask you to upload? Is that a government id (e.g. driver's license) or is it like other secondaries that ask for a photo of you?

I uploaded just a picture of myself but would very much like to know if I was wrong.
 
No, you would not. It’s a school specific question. Even if you had applied MD, if you have not applied to Wayne State before, you’re not a reapplicant.
Wait really? So I do not have to answer this question if I have not applied to Wayne State last cycle?
 
I am not a reapplication to Wayne State but answered it anyway. Not sure what is required.

Coming straight from the AAMC website:
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/faq/amcas-faq/

Am I a reapplicant to all schools or only the ones I applied to before?
You are only a reapplicant to schools that previously received an AMCAS application from you. For example, if you applied to School A and School B last year, you would be considered a reapplicant at both of those schools if you apply to them this year. You would not be considered a reapplicant at School C since you did not previously apply to that school.

So if you submitted a primary application to Wayne but did not fill out the secondary, you are a reapplicant. However, I assume most of you asking about this are first time applicants for both primary and secondary so you are NOT a reapplicant. I don't think it necessary hurts you to answer this but there are probably some unwritten advantages to be a first-time applicant.
 
Wait where does it say that there’s a 2 week deadline? I have yet to see a school that has a hard deadline like that
they say it in the portal itself

The portal reads:
"We [...] would like to receive the following items from you within two weeks of the date of this request in order to complete your application materials.

1. [LORs]
2. [MD/PhD letter]
"

And then proceeds with the essay questions. It doesn't state that the essays are due in that time frame, I think the two weeks applies to the letters only. I submitted within the two week time frame (barely) just to be safe, but I wouldn't read it as a requirement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where do I find the secondary application? When I click the link it brings me to an "academia portal"
 
For the secondary app "Re-applicant" question, do we need to fill out if we are a re-applicant but is first time applicant for Wayne State?
 
See my post above on this very same page. It explains everything.
Thanks for the clarification. The confusing part is that schools usually state to answer this question whether you have "applied to any medical school" or "applied to OUR school previously". Wayne State seemed to be vague about this in the question.
 
did you find an answer to this question?
Kinda. It's not a hard deadline so they're not gonna toss your app. As to whether it negatively affects you in some other way, not sure but I'm betting it doesn't. I only know of 1 MD school that actaully has a hard 2 week deadline and this isn't it. I also submitted 3/4 weeks after I got it so will keep you updated as to whether that made too much of a difference lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kinda. It's not a hard deadline so they're not gonna toss your app. As to whether it negatively affects you in some other way, not sure but I'm betting it doesn't. I only know of 1 MD school that actaully has a hard 2 week deadline and this isn't it. I also submitted 3/4 weeks after I got it so will keep you updated as to whether that made too much of a difference lol
I called the admissions office because I just wanted to make sure. They said since so many people miss the info about the 2 week deadline, they from now on will be okay as long as you return it within 4 week from the day you receive the secondary app. so you are fine!! you don't have to call them or anything