2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview is coming up in a few weeks. For those who already interviewed, how was it? Was the MMI difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

My interview is coming up in a few weeks. For those who already interviewed, how was it? Was the MMI difficult?
I would say it was definitely the most difficult MMI I had. There are only 5 stations, but the prompts are awkward. There also seemed to be less questions per station than usual, which makes for an awkward couple of minutes of silence at the end of each station. The faculty/student interviews were great though!

Reactions: 3 users

I would say it was definitely the most difficult MMI I had. There are only 5 stations, but the prompts are awkward. There also seemed to be less questions per station than usual, which makes for an awkward couple of minutes of silence at the end of each station. The faculty/student interviews were great though!
Omg! Finally, someone is being real about it. I 100% thought I bombed 5 out of 6 stations (I'm not trying to act like a perfectionist or neurotic pre-med, believe me, I screwed up in MMI). The questions were worded weirdly, and it wasn't chill at all. Like I could feel the interviewer trying to squeeze more answers out of me but I just didn't know whatelse they want from me. I kinda felt like I was dismissed from 2 stations as well lol. My one-on-one might have saved me lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Omg! Finally, someone is being real about it. I 100% thought I bombed 5 out of 6 stations (I'm not trying to act like a perfectionist or neurotic pre-med, believe me, I screwed up in MMI). The questions were worded weirdly, and it wasn't chill at all. Like I could feel the interviewer trying to squeeze more answers out of me but I just didn't know whatelse they want from me. I kinda felt like I was dismissed from 2 stations as well lol. My one-on-one might have saved me lol.
Interesting, I thought the 1 on 1 was the most ambiguous. With the MMI, I finished early on all of them because I answered all the followups in my first response. Then I had time to have conversations with the proctors.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting, I thought the 1 on 1 was the most ambiguous. With the MMI, I finished early on all of them because I answered all the followups in my first response. Then I had time to have conversations with the proctors.
I had the same experience. I thought they were fine honestly. I answered all the follow up questions in my first response to the prompt in all but one of the stations and then got to have good conversations with all of the people because I ended with a few minutes to spare. They were very nice and interested to learn about me. It was nice!

There was only one station where I answered the question and the follow up question honestly didn’t make any sense! it was worded so weird and I asked the person to clarify and they got annoyed. Apparently the same thing happened to the majority of the students that interviewed on the same day at the same station and one student was even told b the person at the station when asked to clarify the follow up question, “I’m trying to make it easy for you, come on!”

But other than that one station I think the questions were pretty straight forward and if you think about it well you can answer all of the follow-up questions in your original answer. However if you do this, be prepared for breaking through the awkwardness and having conversation with the person during the extra time.

I had the same experience. I thought they were fine honestly. I answered all the follow up questions in my first response to the prompt in all but one of the stations and then got to have good conversations with all of the people because I ended with a few minutes to spare. They were very nice and interested to learn about me. It was nice!

There was only one station where I answered the question and the follow up question honestly didn’t make any sense! it was worded so weird and I asked the person to clarify and they got annoyed. Apparently the same thing happened to the majority of the students that interviewed on the same day at the same station and one student was even told b the person at the station when asked to clarify the follow up question, “I’m trying to make it easy for you, come on!”

But other than that one station I think the questions were pretty straight forward and if you think about it well you can answer all of the follow-up questions in your original answer. However if you do this, be prepared for breaking through the awkwardness and having conversation with the person during the extra time.
I asked one of my MMI interviewer to clarify a word that she used and she asked me to define the word lolo_O. Maybe people got different interviewers depending on the day you interviewed

I asked one of my MMI interviewer to clarify a word that she used and she asked me to define the word lolo_O. Maybe people got different interviewers depending on the day you interviewed
Wow, I wonder if it was different questions for different days too

Oh wow! I feel the same what you do: just DID NOT do well on the MMI. The one-on-one with faculty was kinda nerve wrecking because he was flipping through my app in front of me searching for questions, but definitely felt better than the MMI. I felt like the interviewers were annoyed/so over being there, many giving me really weak handshakes. One guy I asked to clarify and he just read me the entire question over! I was actually so disappointed with myself afterwards because everyone kept saying the MMIs actually work in our favor. So glad I'm not the only who didn't like MMI LOL

Will be withdrawing my II from here! hope it goes to someone who deserves it :)

Reactions: 3 users
This cycle isn't going well for me either! LM 74 (>3.8 GPA and >515 MCAT). Pretty good ECs. Thought I would be shown way more interest than what has been received so far.
I felt the same way during the first cycle I applied for. Only thing you can do is keep working and stop trying to understand how adcoms make their decisions. It will drive you crazy. If you believe in yourself it will happen. I went from one interview and no acceptances my first cycle to 5 interviews and 4 acceptances my second cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
I felt the same way during the first cycle I applied for. Only thing you can do is keep working and stop trying to understand how adcoms make their decisions. It will drive you crazy. If you believe in yourself it will happen. I went from one interview and no acceptances my first cycle to 5 interviews and 4 acceptances my second cycle.

Congrats! What changed during the second cycle for you?

For any current students here or those who already interviewed, what is one thing that attracted you to this school? or something that you did not like much?
Anything is appreciated as I'm trying to figure out if i should keep my interview.
I agree with chiefchiefchief the clinical experiences are a huge plus, the hospitals are literally right across the street. You will see things in Detroit hospitals that you won’t see anywhere else and Wayne state focuses on community outreach like street medicine. The area it’s located in is a growing area and a lot of young people. There is also a very strong alumni network that is an underrated positive.

Congrats! What changed during the second cycle for you?
Over 2,000 more direct patient care hours and over 200 more volunteering/shadowing hours. Also a very big part about interviews is being able to explain how those experiences helped you and shaped you as a future physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Over 2,000 more direct patient care hours and over 200 more volunteering/shadowing hours. Also a very big part about interviews is being able to explain how those experiences helped you and shaped you as a future physician.

Were you able to apply the next cycle, or did you have to take a year off to get those hours?

Regarding MMI, does anybody know:
-if you get paper and pen during the 1 min prep in MMI
-if you are penalized for not answering any follow up questions during MMI
-if there are actor role play scenarios
-if you have access to mmi questions in the room
Sorry for asking so many questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Does anyone know how late they send out II? Its been silences since I submitted my secondary in August.

Reactions: 9 users
Regarding MMI, does anybody know:
-if you get paper and pen during the 1 min prep in MMI
-if you are penalized for not answering any follow up questions during MMI
-if there are actor role play scenarios
-if you have access to mmi questions in the room
Sorry for asking so many questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not sure how detailed I am allowed to be but:
- I did not get a pen and paper during the 1 minute prep
- not sure if you are penalized? There were not that many follow up questions. I got done early at every station
- Not sure if I am allowed to answer this
- If I remember correctly the station will have the questions for you. It is not in individual rooms, but more like an office sort of space like cubicles
Don't worry too much! For me, this MMI was the least intimidating and I thought the questions were very straightforward and not hard ethical questions

any wait list movement yet?

I was put on the waitlist in October but I was taken off it and accepted in December. Though I haven't heard of any other waitlist movement yet

MR -> SC last week; did not receive email

how long post-interview did people get their decisions? don't think they mentioned during my interview when we'd hear back.

Just checked my portal after a while- status is now SC and assuming screening complete from earlier posts. Didn't receive an email or any notifications from the office

Do you guys have check marks next to your college transcripts on the portal?

Do you guys have check marks next to your college transcripts on the portal?
You need to send them your transcript (separately from AMCAS and directly from your institution) ONLY after you have been admitted. Once you do that and they receive them, you will have a check mark.

You need to send them your transcript (separately from AMCAS and directly from your institution) ONLY after you have been admitted. Once you do that and they receive them, you will have a check mark.
Gotcha, I have yet to receive an II. Just making sure there isn't something holding up my app. Thanks!

Just checked my portal after a while- status is now SC and assuming screening complete from earlier posts. Didn't receive an email or any notifications from the office
Same! I was on MR for over 3 months. When were you complete?
Should I be expecting something at this point or do you guys think its already too late?

Should I be expecting something at this point or do you guys think its already too late?

It's not too late. You are still in the game. They have a large class size and interview a ton of people, but at the same time it is also almost February so chances are much slimmer than before 2019.

If you do get an interview and get wait listed though it seems you are in a pretty good shape. Based on previous years it seems they have the most movement on waitlist. It will just be a very long cycle.

Anyone else still havent been accepted to the facebook group? It’s been a few days now so I’m wondering if I inputted something wrong

Anyone else still havent been accepted to the facebook group? It’s been a few days now so I’m wondering if I inputted something wrong
I requested to join a long time ago and still haven’t been let in

Reactions: 2 users