2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is correct. Everyone's in a panic, since many people already had flights scheduled, our first year was condensed in order to have 3 months dedicated for step 1 (and we no longer have that), financial aid confusion, the possible effects on third and fourth year curriculum, they sprung this information on us 2 weeks before our first year was SUPPOSED to end, and many other concerns. We're all blindsided.

latest
Damn what a cluster ****

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if this has already been asked...anyone know when and how often the admission committee meets? Or when the next round of acceptances could go out?

Wayne State has changed their timing. First year students will now have a summer that is 2.5 months instead of 1 month. And step dedicated will go down from 3 months to 1.5 months

So they’re just changing it back to how it was? Do you know why they didn’t go through with what was planned?

Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian 4th year undergrad in Windsor and I've been accepted to Wayne State for the class entering this July. I wanted to ask around to see if anyone knows what sort of options are available to me as a Canadian for financial aid going to an american school, I looked into FAFSA which isn't an option to non-americans and wanted to know if anybody knew what my eligibility regarding possible scholarships or other forms of financial aid might be!

Thanks in advance, any help is super appreciated!
Look into your banks. TD and Scotia and the rest have a line of credit for medical students.

Can any M1s discuss their overall experience at Wayne and this new addition/change to the curriculum mentioned above? Feel free to PM
If you scroll up to the posts about 2-3 weeks ago, an M1 gave a very comprehensive overview of grades and the curriculum.

Does anyone know when financial aid packages will be going out? Has anyone emailed the admissions asking about this?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been rejected post-II? or are they just wait listing everyone?

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received financial aid packages? Or have any idea about the timeline for this?

Has anyone received financial aid packages? Or have any idea about the timeline for this?
Does anyone know when financial aid packages will be going out? Has anyone emailed the admissions asking about this?
Called them today. They said to expect financial aid award packages in 4-6 weeks. If you received a merit scholarship the admissions folks will contact you separately.

Has anyone chosen the "Plan to Enroll" option for Wayne State on AMCAS? does this affect getting the Financial Aid package on time?

Last edited:
Shall I call the fin aid office again for everyone? I feel like we should elect an SDN Wayne State forum delegate to call the office every so often with our questions. ORGANIZE! FIGHT THE POWER! ACCEPT US INTO MED SCHOOL AND BE ACCOUNTABLE TO OUR QUESTIONS!

Sorry, got a little carried away.

Has anyone chosen the "Plan to Enroll" option for Wayne State on AMCAS? does this affect getting the Financial Aid package on time?

Just an FYI for everyone, schools cannot see whether you selected plan to enroll. All they get is the total number of people who selected plan to enroll.

Reactions: 1 users
Just an FYI for everyone, schools cannot see whether you selected plan to enroll. All they get is the total number of people who selected plan to enroll.

Thanks for your response.

Is this information available on the AAMC brochure or you know this anecdotally from current Med Students or folks involved in admission ?

Also WL, interviewed 2/18 :/

Has there been anyone who interviewed in the last month or so who isn't WL? Either rejected or accepted?

WL today. Interview was 2/1

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed a while back and have an II at Central Michigan University.

Any thoughts on the two Universities? I.e. USMLE preparation and CARMS if I decide to go back to Canada (I am Canadian, eh!). Right now I plan on staying in states.
Idk if anyone answered your question yet, but I was accepted to both. As soon as I got my Wayne acceptance, I never even looked at CMU twice. Both are great schools, but $100k/year vs $65k a year. Lmaoo literally no competition

Idk if anyone answered your question yet, but I was accepted to both. As soon as I got my Wayne acceptance, I never even looked at CMU twice. Both are great schools, but $100k/year vs $65k a year. Lmaoo literally no competition
100k/yr? I have never heard of a med sch tution that high but yeah, seems like a reasonable decision.

100k/yr? I have never heard of a med sch tution that high but yeah, seems like a reasonable decision.

I think he is referring to cost of attendance not just tuition. But I’ve seen schools have like 120k/year COA (Illinois comes to mind, out of state tuition is 97k).

WL yesterday interviewed 2/18. For those waitlisted, did you receive an email or found out on the portal?

Interviewed 2/11 and waitlisted yesterday. Had to check the portal to see it (did not receive an email).
Have kept in contact with three other interviewees from interview day and all of us were waitlisted.

I checked the list and the last acceptance was around Feb 7, interviewed in November, Waitlisted in Dec, Accepted in Feb 7. Since then only WL so far :(

I checked the list and the last acceptance was around Feb 7, interviewed in November, Waitlisted in Dec, Accepted in Feb 7. Since then only WL so far :(

By list, do you mean this thread? For what it's worth their last round of interviews was today I think? ‍(shruggy girl emoji) Their acceptances are now limited to us WLers haha

By list, do you mean this thread? For what it's worth their last round of interviews was today I think? ‍(shruggy girl emoji) Their acceptances are now limited to us WLers haha
Yes, this thread. I am waiting to see if there will be any acceptance this round.

Yes, this thread. I am waiting to see if there will be any acceptance this round.

Yeah based on other acceptance dates, my guess is that they're pretty behind on reviewing apps and just giving us WLs to keep us quiet..

Last edited:
Thanks so much :). hopefully we can be future class mates!

Also for everyone waitlisted, don’t lose hope. I would say that out of 308 M1’s, perhaps 225 were waitlisted before they came here. I myself didn’t recieve my acceptance until June 18th.

I think he is referring to cost of attendance not just tuition. But I’ve seen schools have like 120k/year COA (Illinois comes to mind, out of state tuition is 97k).

Check out the tuition of U of South Carolina- Greenville for OOS.

Does anyone know what kind of weight Wayne gives to LOI? I've seen forums agruing both sides of the issue due to the frequency of disingenuous LOIs that have been submitted. If I were to submit one it would be in good faith and I would honor it if accepted, but if it won't change how they consider my app or actually hurts my odds I'll just sit tight on the WL. Sorry if this has been asked before, but like their class size this forum is huge lol

Does anyone know what kind of weight Wayne gives to LOI? I've seen forums agruing both sides of the issue due to the frequency of disingenuous LOIs that have been submitted. If I were to submit one it would be in good faith and I would honor it if accepted, but if it won't change how they consider my app or actually hurts my odds I'll just sit tight on the WL. Sorry if this has been asked before, but like their class size this forum is huge lol
They don’t even look at them. After your interview, you’re ranked and placed in a computer system. Best thing to do is sit back, relax, and go have some fun in the Bahama’s

does anybody know how we can accept our waitlist position if they never emailed us? and to those accepted, did you find out by email?

They don’t even look at them. After your interview, you’re ranked and placed in a computer system. Best thing to do is sit back, relax, and go have some fun in the Bahama’s

Thanks for the info, can I ask how you know this? :)