Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

2018-2019 Wayne State University

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. mackie10

Medical Student (Accepted)
    You get a separate email with the link to secure your acceptance seat! It should come to your Wayne email so I would make sure to check that! If you still haven't gotten the email though, it might take a few more days. You'll also be getting a package in the mail which has the link written in the checklist they give you. Hope this helps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mango_ and gigiree like this.
  2. gigiree

Pre-Medical
    My interview date was 2/4!

Go2boston likes this.
  3. gigiree

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much! That is a relief to hear and I actually got the link today through my usual email instead of through Wayne’s email system! Hearing that it’s normal for the delay really helped relieve my anxiety about it being a mistake! Congratulations as well and I love your Mob pic.

mackie10 likes this.
  4. mackie10

You're welcome! I actually got moved off the waitlist in mid-December which really surprised me since I didn't think the waitlist could move so early in the cycle. I made a call to the admissions office to confirm my acceptance but they weren't able to tell me anything definitive except to wait it out. Now that you have the link for your acceptance though, you can finally relax! :happy:

Thank you! You're the first one to compliment me on it :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member

So I should ask admissions what to do if I get accepted close to the beginning of classes? I'm on the west coast so getting accepted two weeks before M1 begins would be an organizational ****show....Thanks again!

mango_ likes this.
  6. MedicineN'Jazz

MedicineN'Jazz calling all jazzites
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol good luck. The office will be MIA for match day, and will likely be very backed up with emails. Asking them for advice on this though... I wouldn’t recommend it. That might annoy them, since they don’t really have time to go over a game plan for each and every applicant. Just have a plan A and B set up. That was the only reason I wasn’t major depressed while scrambling around. The hardest thing will be securing a good lease. So look for a likely apartment you’d like to live in, if you don’t have a car look into buying one, calculate moving costs from you to Detroit, etc. The scrambling is manageable if you’re on your top game. Best of luck! I’m crossing my fingers you all get in

Tetines of Paris and mango_ like this.
  7. Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member

Ah I see. Ok, yea if I don't hear anything by late April/early May, I'll start getting a game plan ready and looking into the things you mentioned. I definitely have a tendency to get stressed/depressed/angry when I'm under the gun like that. Hopefully it won't be all to waste. :xf::xf::xf:

8. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    Just spoke with an admissions advisor for Wayne at my university's med school expo. She said there will be no more waitlist movement until after April 1st and they are trying to be conservative this year with how many students they will send acceptances to. She also said it may be until July until some people hear about their application status. I hope this helps students out, I myself am waitlisted here and am really hoping to get accepted!!

9. Meerkat23

Ah! That's helpful... and also so aggravating! They have not even reviewed the last month of interviews... They seem to have autoWL'ed everyone after mid Feb :(

Tetines of Paris likes this.
  10. Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member

Do you have any idea if this means that acceptances will come more frequently during the month or will they just send them out once a month?

They told us at the interview day they have accepted people the day before classes started but geez, the idea never fails to aggravate and scare me when it gets brought up. Here's to hoping for a merciful acceptance as well.

11. batatata

2+ Year Member

Wayne is historically terrible at how it pulls people from their wait-list, but I guess that's kinda due to it being a huge state school. The new traffic rules just make it worse. The geniuses at the AAMC can't seem to understand this. Who would've thought that forcing schools to wait list more people will draw out an already super long process more and more? In what way is it acceptable to have someone sit in limbo throughout an entire cycle, potentially spilling over into the start of the next application cycle? People have lives ffs. Not only is the uncertainty painful, it's also expensive. For how much the fat cats seem to tout the values of empathy, you'd think that they could show some towards their own applicants.

/rant

12. Ari77

2+ Year Member

I think come April most of you will start seeing some serious movement and gain acceptances. Just be patient (sorry, I know it's hard to do). Checking portals every day is not worthwhile as they will, in most cases, send the email before the portal updates. For a lot of you, this will be the last time you can truly slack off and just be a goofy kid (yes we are all adults but you know what I mean). Enjoy it, travel a bit, learn how to cook and read some non medical books before everything changes.

13. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    Thank you, it seems the only empathy I get nowadays about the process is here; my parents are livid at me that I haven’t heard back from Wayne yet and since they went through Wayne’s medical school back when only GPA and MCAT got you through, they are seriously out of touch with how the whole process works :|

Tetines of Paris likes this.
  14. Ari77

2+ Year Member

Yeah, I love the out of touch old timer (no offense to your parents) who believe that getting into medical school is just a matter of having halfway decent grades and an average to slightly above average MCAT. Don't let them get to you too much, the process is so different from even 10 years ago, they just have no clue. Only you know how hard you had to work, and in the end, you will appreciate your acceptance that much more.

Gal_from_Gallifrey likes this.
  15. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    I also heard from the aforementioned admissions advisor that the med school is undergoing so many schedule changes because they want to get the school on a semester basis rather than the yearly basis they currently are on so that their med school matches more closely with their undergrad campus. Not sure why, just letting you know what she (Diane I think her name was) told me. Maybe some current students could corroborate....?

16. veni.vedi.amavi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just received my invite to 2nd look day... Wayne is not my first choice, but the invite mentioned the opportunity to compete for a scholarship with an in-person essay- anybody have any information as to how much the scholarship would be and if it's worth the trip?

mango_ likes this.
  17. divergeandconquer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Heard from a current student that there's one for a full-ride. Idk if that's the only one available to apply though.

mango_ and chiefchiefchief like this.
  18. sloppypapi

5+ Year Member

Wow, I've been sitting on my butt expecting to at least get an email on my decision, but apparently all I had to do was log into my portal to see that I've been on the waitlist since early March. I now know that I have to check the portal for unprompted updates.

On interview day, I also remember one of the hosts saying that they do accept students up until class is about to start. I want to hope that they will at least be considerate to us OOS students who would literally have to move thousands of miles. We'll see :)

19. MedicineN'Jazz

MedicineN'Jazz calling all jazzites
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lmao they’re won’t. I was accepted maybe less than two weeks before we had to start, and someone else was literally accepted the 3 days before orientation. That’s the price we have to pay, but it’s a bittersweet one. And one that will definitely pay off in the end

20. mlock17

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know if we are allowed to bring someone with us to second look day?

Squirel_Boii likes this.
  21. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    For any M1s:

There is a friday at the end of August where I need to travel out of state for a family gathering, would friday classes potentially get in the way of this? I'd rather know now and save myself a plane ride if I can't end up going :|

22. PunjabiBoy1993

Has anyone who interviewed late January heard back yet? Its about to be 8 weeks of silence for me lol

23. pronghorn89

I just spoke to admissions. The scholarships range from $1000 to $10,000 and it is only for people that can attend second day look, which is a little annoying. Some people literally can't afford to go so it essentially gives people who already have the means to make a trip an extra opportunity to get more money. They suggested writing an email to admissions explaining your situation if you would like to go, but can't afford to for whatever reason. I would suggest every person on here write an email to admissions.

24. Cuddly Bear

Have you checked your portal? A few of us who interviewed in mid-February checked portal and saw that we were wait listed. No e-mail updates.

25. pronghorn89

Further rant: this kind of undercuts the idea that they are committed to making education accessible to the undeserved. This second day look crap is quite the opposite.

Gal_from_Gallifrey likes this.
  26. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    So what happens if you are accepted after second-look day? I guess that means we don't get a shot at that scholarship, huh? :(

27. PunjabiBoy1993

yeah! It still says MV (Med invite to interview)

perragamo likes this.
  28. CatsRCute112

If any out of towners are coming to second look and want a ride to Wayne State let me know. Save you some bucks.

Squirel_Boii and chiefchiefchief like this.
  29. chiefchiefchief

I’ll be driving from Ann Arbor and happy to give anyone a ride that morning as well!

mango_ likes this.
  30. chiefchiefchief

The M1 schedule hasn't been released yet but based on last year's schedule you should be fine. There are very few mandatories other than clinical skills in summer. Last year, the only friday that was mandatory was the summative exam the last friday in august

31. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    yikes it's the last friday in august that i would need to miss potentially....how long did the exam go for, if it is in the morning that may still be ok plan-wise

32. ChasinTheDr3aMD

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the second look day?

33. mlock17

Pre-Medical
    They said to dress professionally- not 100% what that means

mango_ and Squirel_Boii like this.
  34. perragamo

Pre-Medical
    hello, I interviewed 2/22 and mine still says med invite to interview (MV) as well...I am wondering what that means

35. pronghorn89

It doesn't mean anything other than they haven't updated your status. Nothing more, nothing less.

ick19 and perragamo like this.
  36. PunjabiBoy1993

Interviewed late January. Just put on waitlist :'(

37. esyabelmd

2+ Year Member

Waitlisted. Interviewed 3/1.

38. SonnyDigital

WL :/ II was 3/1

esyabelmd likes this.
  39. Doctor.for.all

Interviewed 3/1. What is the alternate list? Because I am now on it.

esyabelmd likes this.
  40. perragamo

Pre-Medical
    interview 2/22...waitlist :/

41. homieg

Pre-Medical
    waitlisted, interviewed 3/8. according to wayne state students, the waitlist is very very active! just hope we won't have to wait until the week before school starts

42. fdadfbcd

Interviewed 2/25. Waitlisted a few hours ago. Not surprised.

43. Doctor.for.all

Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June. Love all of you. Stay positive !

#2493 Doctor.for.all, Mar 23, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019 at 2:57 PM
  44. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    Yes, my portal says "med school waitlist/alternate" so I assume they are the same thing. I posted earlier about what an admissions advisor told me from Wayne: do not expect any movement off the waitlist until April, and they are being very conservative about the amount of students they will be accepting this year as compared to other years

45. Doctor.for.all

Does conservative mean admitting 10 less than what is normal in past years? If that is so, that's only 3% of the class. Why should that worry us?

BTW, thanks for answering my question about the alternate list. I'm taking my own advice and celebrating a waitlist decision this weekend :). The dream is upon us !!

46. Meerkat23

Sorry to rain on your parade here, but they don't actually reject anyone after interviews. Everyone since Feb has gotten waitlisted. But I agree that being positive is the way to go here.

47. Gal_from_Gallifrey

Pre-Medical
    I think what they were saying is that they are only admitting about the class size during the cycle, then hauling people off the waitlist as everyone inevitably rejects their admissions offer; but yes, I agree that, though I may be waitlisted, my dream of attending Wayne for med school may be close at hand!!

48. Phillias

Per the Wayne State Admission calculator there have been 308 admissions offer for the 1095 interviews done.

Assuming they don’t outright reject anyone post-II, the waitlist will be 787 people at the minimum.

Last year they took around 200 from the WL (per MSAR), so someone on this list was about a ~25% chance of coming off. This could be more or less depending on how many people of the 308 want go to Wayne or go somewhere else.

• I’ve heard the WL is ranked internally (I called them + this has been mentioned on SDN and reddit before).
    • A lot of movement will be made after April 30th when people with multiple acceptances will have to pick somewhere.

One more thing, I think as far WL go, this is a pretty darn good one to be on. So if you are WL here, don’t forget to count your blessings.

49. To Freedom

Verified Account

Did anyone get a letter in the mail from Wayne? I already got accepted so not sure what the letter was about. I was out of town and it required a signature, so they returned it back.

50. Morrazana

Pretty much a certificate saying congrats for your acceptance, a letter saying same thing and a checklist of things you need to do like accepting your acceptance, sending transcripts, etc.