2018-2019 Wayne State University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who interviewed late January heard back yet? Its about to be 8 weeks of silence for me lol
Have you checked your portal? A few of us who interviewed in mid-February checked portal and saw that we were wait listed. No e-mail updates.
 
I just spoke to admissions. The scholarships range from $1000 to $10,000 and it is only for people that can attend second day look, which is a little annoying. Some people literally can't afford to go so it essentially gives people who already have the means to make a trip an extra opportunity to get more money. They suggested writing an email to admissions explaining your situation if you would like to go, but can't afford to for whatever reason. I would suggest every person on here write an email to admissions.
Further rant: this kind of undercuts the idea that they are committed to making education accessible to the undeserved. This second day look crap is quite the opposite.
 
I just spoke to admissions. The scholarships range from $1000 to $10,000 and it is only for people that can attend second day look, which is a little annoying. Some people literally can't afford to go so it essentially gives people who already have the means to make a trip an extra opportunity to get more money. They suggested writing an email to admissions explaining your situation if you would like to go, but can't afford to for whatever reason. I would suggest every person on here write an email to admissions.

So what happens if you are accepted after second-look day? I guess that means we don't get a shot at that scholarship, huh? 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For any M1s:

There is a friday at the end of August where I need to travel out of state for a family gathering, would friday classes potentially get in the way of this? I'd rather know now and save myself a plane ride if I can't end up going :|
The M1 schedule hasn't been released yet but based on last year's schedule you should be fine. There are very few mandatories other than clinical skills in summer. Last year, the only friday that was mandatory was the summative exam the last friday in august
 
The M1 schedule hasn't been released yet but based on last year's schedule you should be fine. There are very few mandatories other than clinical skills in summer. Last year, the only friday that was mandatory was the summative exam the last friday in august

yikes it's the last friday in august that i would need to miss potentially....how long did the exam go for, if it is in the morning that may still be ok plan-wise
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
waitlisted, interviewed 3/8. according to wayne state students, the waitlist is very very active! just hope we won't have to wait until the week before school starts
 
Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June. Love all of you. Stay positive !
 
Last edited:
Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June.

Yes, my portal says "med school waitlist/alternate" so I assume they are the same thing. I posted earlier about what an admissions advisor told me from Wayne: do not expect any movement off the waitlist until April, and they are being very conservative about the amount of students they will be accepting this year as compared to other years
 
Yes, my portal says "med school waitlist/alternate" so I assume they are the same thing. I posted earlier about what an admissions advisor told me from Wayne: do not expect any movement off the waitlist until April, and they are being very conservative about the amount of students they will be accepting this year as compared to other years

Does conservative mean admitting 10 less than what is normal in past years? If that is so, that's only 3% of the class. Why should that worry us?

BTW, thanks for answering my question about the alternate list. I'm taking my own advice and celebrating a waitlist decision this weekend 🙂. The dream is upon us !!
 
Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June. Love all of you. Stay positive !

Sorry to rain on your parade here, but they don't actually reject anyone after interviews. Everyone since Feb has gotten waitlisted. But I agree that being positive is the way to go here.
 
Does conservative mean admitting 10 less than what is normal in past years? If that is so, that's only 3% of the class. Why should that worry us?

BTW, thanks for answering my question about the alternate list. I'm taking my own advice and celebrating a waitlist decision this weekend 🙂. The dream is upon us !!

I think what they were saying is that they are only admitting about the class size during the cycle, then hauling people off the waitlist as everyone inevitably rejects their admissions offer; but yes, I agree that, though I may be waitlisted, my dream of attending Wayne for med school may be close at hand!!
 
Per the Wayne State Admission calculator there have been 308 admissions offer for the 1095 interviews done.

Assuming they don’t outright reject anyone post-II, the waitlist will be 787 people at the minimum.

Last year they took around 200 from the WL (per MSAR), so someone on this list was about a ~25% chance of coming off. This could be more or less depending on how many people of the 308 want go to Wayne or go somewhere else.

• I’ve heard the WL is ranked internally (I called them + this has been mentioned on SDN and reddit before).
• A lot of movement will be made after April 30th when people with multiple acceptances will have to pick somewhere.

One more thing, I think as far WL go, this is a pretty darn good one to be on. So if you are WL here, don’t forget to count your blessings.
 
Did anyone get a letter in the mail from Wayne? I already got accepted so not sure what the letter was about. I was out of town and it required a signature, so they returned it back.
 
Did anyone get a letter in the mail from Wayne? I already got accepted so not sure what the letter was about. I was out of town and it required a signature, so they returned it back.
Pretty much a certificate saying congrats for your acceptance, a letter saying same thing and a checklist of things you need to do like accepting your acceptance, sending transcripts, etc.
 
I already got this. It's a second mail
Oh I don’t know then. The second mail I got after that was an invite for second look day but it was just a small envelop with invite and doesn’t look like something you’ll need to sign for lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't help but notice that quite a few people from February/early March interview dates have at least heard back about being waitlisted. I interviewed 2/25 but haven't seen any updates in the portal. what's up????
 
Lmao they’re won’t. I was accepted maybe less than two weeks before we had to start, and someone else was literally accepted the 3 days before orientation. That’s the price we have to pay, but it’s a bittersweet one. And one that will definitely pay off in the end

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse over this, but I've been starting to get some things in order since it looks like WL movement is really gonna start in the next coming weeks. Do you remember when you were interviewed? I hope there wouldn't be because it should all be a matter of merit vs timing, but I'm trying to see if there's a correlation between how early you interviewed and when you get accepted. Excessive I'm sure but these little questions answered keep me from constant email checking, haha.

Or maybe all of this will be for nothing and I'll keep going to work with egg on my face.

Thank you very much!
 
Last edited:
Interviewed 1/28, WL on 3/6 through the portal. Did anyone else only receive the update through the portal without an email? I never received an email stating I'm on the waitlist/alternate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed 1/28, WL on 3/6 through the portal. Did anyone else only receive the update through the portal without an email? I never received an email stating I'm on the waitlist/alternate.

Yes. I think it's par for the course for later interviews