Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I also heard from the aforementioned admissions advisor that the med school is undergoing so many schedule changes because they want to get the school on a semester basis rather than the yearly basis they currently are on so that their med school matches more closely with their undergrad campus. Not sure why, just letting you know what she (Diane I think her name was) told me. Maybe some current students could corroborate....?

veni.vedi.amavi

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just received my invite to 2nd look day... Wayne is not my first choice, but the invite mentioned the opportunity to compete for a scholarship with an in-person essay- anybody have any information as to how much the scholarship would be and if it's worth the trip?

Reactions: mango_

divergeandconquer

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just received my invite to 2nd look day... Wayne is not my first choice, but the invite mentioned the opportunity to compete for a scholarship with an in-person essay- anybody have any information as to how much the scholarship would be and if it's worth the trip?
Heard from a current student that there's one for a full-ride. Idk if that's the only one available to apply though.

sloppypapi

5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Wow, I've been sitting on my butt expecting to at least get an email on my decision, but apparently all I had to do was log into my portal to see that I've been on the waitlist since early March. I now know that I have to check the portal for unprompted updates.

On interview day, I also remember one of the hosts saying that they do accept students up until class is about to start. I want to hope that they will at least be considerate to us OOS students who would literally have to move thousands of miles. We'll see :)

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
Lmao they’re won’t. I was accepted maybe less than two weeks before we had to start, and someone else was literally accepted the 3 days before orientation. That’s the price we have to pay, but it’s a bittersweet one. And one that will definitely pay off in the end

Aug 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone know if we are allowed to bring someone with us to second look day?

Reactions: Squirel_Boii
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For any M1s:

There is a friday at the end of August where I need to travel out of state for a family gathering, would friday classes potentially get in the way of this? I'd rather know now and save myself a plane ride if I can't end up going :|

Feb 25, 2018
I just spoke to admissions. The scholarships range from $1000 to $10,000 and it is only for people that can attend second day look, which is a little annoying. Some people literally can't afford to go so it essentially gives people who already have the means to make a trip an extra opportunity to get more money. They suggested writing an email to admissions explaining your situation if you would like to go, but can't afford to for whatever reason. I would suggest every person on here write an email to admissions.

Feb 25, 2018
I just spoke to admissions. The scholarships range from $1000 to $10,000 and it is only for people that can attend second day look, which is a little annoying. Some people literally can't afford to go so it essentially gives people who already have the means to make a trip an extra opportunity to get more money. They suggested writing an email to admissions explaining your situation if you would like to go, but can't afford to for whatever reason. I would suggest every person on here write an email to admissions.
Further rant: this kind of undercuts the idea that they are committed to making education accessible to the undeserved. This second day look crap is quite the opposite.

Reactions: Gal_from_Gallifrey
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So what happens if you are accepted after second-look day? I guess that means we don't get a shot at that scholarship, huh? :(

Oct 3, 2018
For any M1s:

There is a friday at the end of August where I need to travel out of state for a family gathering, would friday classes potentially get in the way of this? I'd rather know now and save myself a plane ride if I can't end up going :|
The M1 schedule hasn't been released yet but based on last year's schedule you should be fine. There are very few mandatories other than clinical skills in summer. Last year, the only friday that was mandatory was the summative exam the last friday in august

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
The M1 schedule hasn't been released yet but based on last year's schedule you should be fine. There are very few mandatories other than clinical skills in summer. Last year, the only friday that was mandatory was the summative exam the last friday in august
yikes it's the last friday in august that i would need to miss potentially....how long did the exam go for, if it is in the morning that may still be ok plan-wise

Mar 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
waitlisted, interviewed 3/8. according to wayne state students, the waitlist is very very active! just hope we won't have to wait until the week before school starts

Oct 17, 2018
Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June. Love all of you. Stay positive !

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June.
Yes, my portal says "med school waitlist/alternate" so I assume they are the same thing. I posted earlier about what an admissions advisor told me from Wayne: do not expect any movement off the waitlist until April, and they are being very conservative about the amount of students they will be accepting this year as compared to other years

Oct 17, 2018
Yes, my portal says "med school waitlist/alternate" so I assume they are the same thing. I posted earlier about what an admissions advisor told me from Wayne: do not expect any movement off the waitlist until April, and they are being very conservative about the amount of students they will be accepting this year as compared to other years
Does conservative mean admitting 10 less than what is normal in past years? If that is so, that's only 3% of the class. Why should that worry us?

BTW, thanks for answering my question about the alternate list. I'm taking my own advice and celebrating a waitlist decision this weekend :). The dream is upon us !!

Feb 27, 2019
Guys, is the alternate list the wait list? I think March interviewees should be stoked about a wait list decision. Given data from past application threads, the wait list was the best scenario until movement in May and June. Love all of you. Stay positive !
Sorry to rain on your parade here, but they don't actually reject anyone after interviews. Everyone since Feb has gotten waitlisted. But I agree that being positive is the way to go here.

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does conservative mean admitting 10 less than what is normal in past years? If that is so, that's only 3% of the class. Why should that worry us?

BTW, thanks for answering my question about the alternate list. I'm taking my own advice and celebrating a waitlist decision this weekend :). The dream is upon us !!
I think what they were saying is that they are only admitting about the class size during the cycle, then hauling people off the waitlist as everyone inevitably rejects their admissions offer; but yes, I agree that, though I may be waitlisted, my dream of attending Wayne for med school may be close at hand!!

Feb 8, 2019
Per the Wayne State Admission calculator there have been 308 admissions offer for the 1095 interviews done.

Assuming they don’t outright reject anyone post-II, the waitlist will be 787 people at the minimum.

Last year they took around 200 from the WL (per MSAR), so someone on this list was about a ~25% chance of coming off. This could be more or less depending on how many people of the 308 want go to Wayne or go somewhere else.

• I’ve heard the WL is ranked internally (I called them + this has been mentioned on SDN and reddit before).
• A lot of movement will be made after April 30th when people with multiple acceptances will have to pick somewhere.

One more thing, I think as far WL go, this is a pretty darn good one to be on. So if you are WL here, don’t forget to count your blessings.

Oct 20, 2018
Status
Did anyone get a letter in the mail from Wayne? I already got accepted so not sure what the letter was about. I was out of town and it required a signature, so they returned it back.

Did anyone get a letter in the mail from Wayne? I already got accepted so not sure what the letter was about. I was out of town and it required a signature, so they returned it back.
Pretty much a certificate saying congrats for your acceptance, a letter saying same thing and a checklist of things you need to do like accepting your acceptance, sending transcripts, etc.

Oct 20, 2018
Status
Pretty much a certificate saying congrats for your acceptance, a letter saying same thing and a checklist of things you need to do like accepting your acceptance, sending transcripts, etc.
I already got this. It's a second mail

I already got this. It's a second mail
Oh I don’t know then. The second mail I got after that was an invite for second look day but it was just a small envelop with invite and doesn’t look like something you’ll need to sign for lol.

Dec 14, 2018
I can't help but notice that quite a few people from February/early March interview dates have at least heard back about being waitlisted. I interviewed 2/25 but haven't seen any updates in the portal. what's up????

divergeandconquer

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I can't help but notice that quite a few people from February/early March interview dates have at least heard back about being waitlisted. I interviewed 2/25 but haven't seen any updates in the portal. what's up????
Check your email. That's how I found out. My portal has yet to be updated.

Reactions: slow_burn

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Lmao they’re won’t. I was accepted maybe less than two weeks before we had to start, and someone else was literally accepted the 3 days before orientation. That’s the price we have to pay, but it’s a bittersweet one. And one that will definitely pay off in the end
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse over this, but I've been starting to get some things in order since it looks like WL movement is really gonna start in the next coming weeks. Do you remember when you were interviewed? I hope there wouldn't be because it should all be a matter of merit vs timing, but I'm trying to see if there's a correlation between how early you interviewed and when you get accepted. Excessive I'm sure but these little questions answered keep me from constant email checking, haha.

Or maybe all of this will be for nothing and I'll keep going to work with egg on my face.

Thank you very much!

Last edited: