2018-2019 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received the phone call earlier today that I was accepted off the waitlist! I'm OOS with very close ties
Oh my god !!!! That’s amazing !!! Now I have hope !!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what are the system requirement for laptop ? Like , does the school require specific RAM, harddrive ? I am currently on waitlist, but I need to buy laptop now , so if I do get accepted , I wanna make sure it is good enough .

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what are the system requirement for laptop ? Like , does the school require specific RAM, harddrive ? I am currently on waitlist, but I need to buy laptop now , so if I do get accepted , I wanna make sure it is good enough .

From what I remember they provide you with the laptop they want you to use

I withdrew my acceptance today. I wish you all the best. It's a great school and program but I am having a baby and so we decided to stay where our family is located. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
hey, everyone. I will be withdrawing from the waitlist next week. I got a spot in EVMS, which i love and which is my in state school, close to friends. I feel such a deep connection with it that i simply cannot consider any other potential offers. I will be doing CTE on April 30s. I just feel like it is dishonest for me to keep hanging on the waitlist, because it might slow things down for someone who is hoping to matriculate there.

Good luck, everyone!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey!
Just curious, do they only call you if you're accepted or will they call and email?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
Just curious, do they only call you if you're accepted or will they call and email?
Thanks!
I got a call first and then when I said I was still interested I was sent my formal acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 user
hey, everyone. I will be withdrawing from the waitlist next week. I got a spot in EVMS, which i love and which is my in state school, close to friends. I feel such a deep connection with it that i simply cannot consider any other potential offers. I will be doing CTE on April 30s. I just feel like it is dishonest for me to keep hanging on the waitlist, because it might slow things down for someone who is hoping to matriculate there.

Good luck, everyone!!!!!
Thanks so much for withdrawing. I went through two surgeries this cycle and ran out of money to finish my applications. WVU is my only shot this year.

Reactions: 2 users
are there any current students here who could comment on the possibility for scholarships post first year? I was told that good performance the first year can result in additional consideration for scholarships, but not sure how likely that is

Withdrawing from the WL! Hope that somehow helps someone. Good luck peeps!

Does anyone know when the admission committee typically meets?
On my Interview day, we were told the committee typically meets on Tuesdays. But that was when interviews were in full swing. I have no idea how/if that schedule has changed now that interviews are over.

Does anyone know when the admission committee typically meets?
I was told several weeks ago that the committee meets on an "as-needed" basis at this point. They expect the bulk of waitlist movement to happen mid-April to mid-May.

But has anyone gotten off the waitlist other than that one person that posted a couple weeks ago?

But has anyone gotten off the waitlist other than that one person that posted a couple weeks ago?
I'm not privy to that information. Attached is a screenshot from WVU's MSAR page. Keep in mind the new traffic rules for this year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 3.48.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 3.48.24 PM.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 184
I'm not privy to that information. Attached is a screenshot from WVU's MSAR page. Keep in mind the new traffic rules for this year.

So do we think there will be a lot more movement now?

OOS off the WL yesterday!!

Reactions: 5 users
It really seems like there has been very little waitlist movement... are people just not posting or is it delayed this year?

Still radio silence? I know most threads aren't really showing any movement but it's high time I start the 2020 app.

Still radio silence? I know most threads aren't really showing any movement but it's high time I start the 2020 app.

Yeah I’m so confused about this. I’ve already finished my 2020 app, I’m all set to go; but I just REALLY want some insight on whether people just stop posting come waitlist movement time or if things are just delayed for some reason??

Yeah I’m so confused about this. I’ve already finished my 2020 app, I’m all set to go; but I just REALLY want some insight on whether people just stop posting come waitlist movement time or if things are just delayed for some reason??
Compared to last years threads for many schools, the waitlist movement time frame is completely different. Maybe new traffic rules affected it?? Not sure. At this time last year threads were moving quite quickly in terms of waitlist posts.

Oh me? Staring at my phone hoping for a phone call for the last 4 months while writing letters to wvu?

I'm doing good how about you guys.

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Very nice place but was accepted to a program that fits me a bit better recently.

Last edited:
One more spot opening up! Withdrawing acceptance.

Since WVU's commit to enroll deadline is tomorrow, we have to withdraw ourselves form all other waitlists correct? It seems really early to being that

Since WVU's commit to enroll deadline is tomorrow, we have to withdraw ourselves form all other waitlists correct? It seems really early to being that
Yeah I am also curious. (I'm not accepted yet but still wondering)

What specifically has WVU SOM told you about their CTE policy?

From what I understand there is no AAMC enforcement of CTE, PTE or any of the deadlines this year so it's on the schools to write up their own contracts and enforce them if people don't comply.

CTE is supposed to require an applicant to drop all of their other acceptances and WLs while PTE would just require them to drop all of their other acceptances but remain on waitlists at preferred schools. This year, none of this has been enforced by the AAMC so people are still holding multiple acceptances, waiting for financial aid, weighing options, etc.

All of this has dramatically slowed WL movement this cycle and left adcoms unsure of which of their accepted students are going to matriculate. This change has made May 15th, a very reasonable CTE date in the past, feel very early for people still waiting on multiple waitlists.

I think you need to find out the specifics of WVU SOM's policy, talk to the admissions offices at both schools, and make the decision for yourself.

As far as I know, this year, it is completely possible to CTE and remain on other waitlists. Gyngyn (an adcom) said that schools that you CTE to cannot see that you are still on waitlists elsewhere, but your WL schools can see that you CTE'd somewhere else. It's not recommended to do that but people do it every year and get "poached" by other schools later in the cycle.

At the end of the day, its a tough decision that could affect where you end up studying medicine. I'm not going to preach what you should or shouldn't do. Just educate yourself on the situation and make the call for yourself.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and congratulations on your acceptance here!

Full disclosure:

I am waitlisted at WVU SOM and would absolutely love to go there this Fall. For me, WVU is my top choice so I have a vested interest in people like you getting into your top choices elsewhere and opening up seats in the class.

What specifically has WVU SOM told you about their CTE policy?

From what I understand there is no AAMC enforcement of CTE, PTE or any of the deadlines this year so it's on the schools to write up their own contracts and enforce them if people don't comply.

CTE is supposed to require an applicant to drop all of their other acceptances and WLs while PTE would just require them to drop all of their other acceptances but remain on waitlists at preferred schools. This year, none of this has been enforced by the AAMC so people are still holding multiple acceptances, waiting for financial aid, weighing options, etc.

All of this has dramatically slowed WL movement this cycle and left adcoms unsure of which of their accepted students are going to matriculate. This change has made May 15th, a very reasonable CTE date in the past, feel very early for people still waiting on multiple waitlists.

I think you need to find out the specifics of WVU SOM's policy, talk to the admissions offices at both schools, and make the decision for yourself.

As far as I know, this year, it is completely possible to CTE and remain on other waitlists. Gyngyn (an adcom) said that schools that you CTE to cannot see that you are still on waitlists elsewhere, but your WL schools can see that you CTE'd somewhere else. It's not recommended to do that but people do it every year and get "poached" by other schools later in the cycle.

Thank you! The only communication I received said was that we have to use the CTE tool and nothing else. I am 95% sure that I would choose WVU over the schools I'm waitlisted at anyways, but that 5% uncertainty was weighing on me. I'm extremely happy with WVU, so I'll go ahead and withdraw myself from other waitlists. I wish you the best of luck!

So with the new traffic rules, can those of us left on the waitlist finally admit defeat and move on? WVU's CTE deadline was yesterday.

Last edited:
so what can WVU actually do now that there is not a multiple acceptance database if someone doesn't drop off other waitlists?

How hard is it to establish WV residency? Is it possible to do it within 4 years (during med school)?

I have not interviewed--I am likely applying to this school in the future. Not sure yet.
Is it not possible to establish residency during your 4 years of med school?
its not, your residency is set based on the application date for the 4 years. best of luck tho.

I have not interviewed--I am likely applying to this school in the future. Not sure yet.
Third year here. It's only possible if you do a research fellowship year here between 2nd and third year. Otherwise you will not be eligible for in state.

Only way to establish residency is to be living in WV and paying taxes for a 12-month period and to NOT be enrolled in school.

I’m CTEd here now so who’s ready to start this gm? Dm me with your number and let’s get it