2018-2019 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2ndary prompts:
Why did you choose to apply to West Virginia University School of Medicine?

Choose 4 of the following:
1. Tell us one unique fact about yourself
2. Every accepted student to the Class of 2023 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates; and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?
3. Advocacy in medicine can come in many forms. Please describe a situation when you advocated for someone else.
4. Name a character to whom you can relate from any book and tell us why
5. While shadowing physicians, you have likely witnessed excellent role models. In some instances, you may have witnessed a negative doctor-patient encounter. If you have witnessed a negative encounter, please describe how you would have handled the situation differently if you were the physician.
6. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.

all 150 word counts

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: West Virginia University Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received 5 minutes ago!

Last edited:
2ndary prompts:
Why did you choose to apply to West Virginia University School of Medicine?

Choose 4 of the following:
1. Tell us one unique fact about yourself
2. Every accepted student to the Class of 2023 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates; and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?
3. Advocacy in medicine can come in many forms. Please describe a situation when you advocated for someone else.
4. Name a character to whom you can relate from any book and tell us why
5. While shadowing physicians, you have likely witnessed excellent role models. In some instances, you may have witnessed a negative doctor-patient encounter. If you have witnessed a negative encounter, please describe how you would have handled the situation differently if you were the physician.
6. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.

all 150 word counts
good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the CASPER test is optional. Do you guys still recommend taking it? I did it earlier this month for other schools and I swear that I didn't see WVU in the list... am I mistaken?

Apparently the CASPER test is optional. Do you guys still recommend taking it? I did it earlier this month for other schools and I swear that I didn't see WVU in the list... am I mistaken?

UTMB just sent out an email saying they’re requiring CASPer. They weren’t originally on the list, but they they showed up. I’m guessing the same thing here. The school will be added if it hasn’t already.

OOS here. Anyone have a guess on why MCAT median is much lower than GPA median? It seems unbalanced.

Reactions: 1 users
This may be a dumb question, but do we need to clarify courses that have an integrated lab component on the secondary? The requirement says 6 credit hours of lab courses, but all my chem, bio, physics, etc. had labs as part of the class.
It says the only classes that require specifying is chemistry classes that don't include the specific words they provided (general, foundations, etc.). But if you are adding a course because you wish to specify something, I would separate it from the lab since they specifically mention lectures and labs separate under their prereqs.

Looks like they have pretty good turnaround for early submitter. If I woulda known this, I would've submitted like the first day I got the secondary lol. Guess today is better than never.

I actually kind of enjoyed this secondary. Definitely more creative than other programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my secondary today, but can't access it after making an account. It tells me I can only use the invite link from the email, but when I use that link, there's an error because I already made an account. Did anyone else have trouble with this?

For the question about a unique fact about yourself, how out of the box do you think I could go? I can't decide if it is appropriate to use a quirky answer or be more serious and speak to my character.

Something quirky about me is that I hate all types of fruit whereas something more serious would be my fluency of the French language and knowledge of the culture.

Any help is appreciated :)

Is Prompt 2 talking about teaching skills and hobbies like origami or something larger like life lessons?

Struggling to pick something for the "what is unique about you" topic.

Debating between my familiarity with a specific African American language and culture (I'm middle eastern, so it's always unexpected and surprising to people in the culture) or the fact that I work as a freelance makeup artist (allows me to express myself and others artistically and immerse myself in something completely different than medicine).

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Secondary received on 07/06/2018. Looks like a fun one lol

Looks as though some answers might be given this week as shown by last years thread. Can't wait!

Struggling to pick something for the "what is unique about you" topic.

Debating between my familiarity with a specific African American language and culture (I'm middle eastern, so it's always unexpected and surprising to people in the culture) or the fact that I work as a freelance makeup artist (allows me to express myself and others artistically and immerse myself in something completely different than medicine).

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I was in a similar situation as I could have written about my familiarity with a certain Central American country (not so much in the language, I can get by most of the time but I wouldn’t be considered Fluent by any means) OR write about my serious passion of doing the things an NFL scout would do (following & evaluating college athletes throughout the season, evaluating team needs, following the combines, making mock drafts, etc.).

I chose the latter as it has been a piece of me far longer and I knew I could write and talk about it in a much more passionate, meaningful way. I think for this question one of the things they like to see (of many) is what you’re really passionate about outside of medicine. So for you, being a freelance makeup artist seems to hit that home.

Edit: I just realized you wrote this last Wednesday. I just wanted to add you can’t go wrong with either topic! Whatever you choose, just be sure you can write and talk about it passionately!

Received my first rejection this morning :(, OOS

To those that received II and Rejection, did you get an email? Congrats to those that got an II! And to those that didn't get one, keep your heads up! You guys will definitely hear back from somewhere else!

To those that received II and Rejection, did you get an email? Congrats to those that got an II! And to those that didn't get one, keep your heads up! You guys will definitely hear back from somewhere else!

Yup got an email, nothing on portal (which I don't even know how to check for updates anyway since it's so confusing). It's alright my hopes weren't up too high anyways. Looks like I won't be going home to the place I belong

Secondary received 6/29
Submitted 7/2
Rejection 7/11
Oh wow, that's when I submitted! OOS submitted 7/2, confirmed 7/5. I'm encouraged that I haven't received a rejection yet, but that's about it. Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!

II was through email

Congratulations! Which interview dates are they offering you?
All of them were available to choose from. I saw some Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays. About 2 a week starting in September I think. Also were 1-2 dates to interview at the Charleston and Eastern campuses

Oh wow, that's when I submitted! OOS submitted 7/2, confirmed 7/5. I'm encouraged that I haven't received a rejection yet, but that's about it. Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!

+1 for those dates, OOS still waiting, KY resident with close familial ties to WV! I'm sure we will hear something before this week is over. I'm really looking at the Charleston campus since it's closer, hopefully there's dates open for it if I get an II.

When did you take your CASPer test? My test date was 6/21 and it still reads "pending results" so I'm concerned WVU hasn't seen my scores yet.
I don't think that should matter - the CASPer test is optional for WVU. I'm sure they're just working through a ton of applications.

I don't think that should matter - the CASPer test is optional for WVU. I'm sure they're just working through a ton of applications.

Oh that's good to know, I guess I missed the part about the CASPer being optional! Thank you! I'm sure they have tons of apps to go through. I hope I hear something soon!

When did you take your CASPer test? My test date was 6/21 and it still reads "pending results" so I'm concerned WVU hasn't seen my scores yet.
My CASPer test was submitted well before that. Although CASPer isn't required for this school, you can get accepted without it.

II recieved! OOS Lizzy M 70-72

secondary- 6/30
submitted- 7/1
completed- 7/2

Heads up guys and gals!

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II today! Secondary received and submitted 29 June. Took CASPer early June.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS and waitlisted for an interview. I guess that's good?