2018-2019 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how did you guys like your interview experience here?
I loved it !!!! Probably the best one I’ve had

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone confirm that organic chemistry lab is NOT required for this school?

You just need 6 hours of lab from any of the following: biology, biochemistry, physics, inorganic chemistry (gen chem), OR organic chemistry.

So if you took 2 semesters of biology w/lab, 2 semesters of gen chem w/lab, and 2 semesters of physics w/lab...that’s 6 lab course hours right there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you enjoy so much?

Not who you quoted...but I thought every single person I met (students, staff, and my faculty interviewers) was incredibly nice and warm, plus it seemed very genuine. It sounds cheesy but it seemed like the students were really a family and the administration actually wanted you to be successful.

Maybe it’s a naive viewpoint to have but I won’t let med school crush my hopes and dreams just yet.

Not who you quoted...but I thought every single person I met (students, staff, and my faculty interviewers) was incredibly nice and warm, plus it seemed very genuine. It sounds cheesy but it seemed like the students were really a family and the administration actually wanted you to be successful.

Maybe it’s a naive viewpoint to have but I won’t let med school crush my hopes and dreams just yet.

That’s nice to hear. I’m feeling nervous because I’m OOS with 0 ties, but I received an interview within 2 weeks of submitting so I feel like that counts for something.

Reactions: 1 users

My sister attended this med school a few years ago and had a similar experience. She felt that she had a lot of hands-on learning in clinicals and she was better prepared than her co-residents who came from more prestigious med schools. The faculty seems to really care about each students success which is really nice. Also, there seems to be a huge importance placed the mental and physical wellness of their students.

Reactions: 4 users

I definitely agree (and I am not a “chippery cheerleading type :))) hahaha - I am an introvert ). The interviewers were very nice , the facilities look incredible . The hospital was very impressive . And the town itself looked like a ski resort to me . Everything was just perfect .

Reactions: 2 users
My sister attended this med school a few years ago and had a similar experience. She felt that she had a lot of hands-on learning in clinicals and she was better prepared than her co-residents who came from more prestigious med schools. The faculty seems to really care about each students success which is really nice. Also, there seems to be a huge importance placed the mental and physical wellness of their students.
Can you ask your sister if she felt like it wAs hard for her or her friends to match into competitive top residencies ?

That’s nice to hear. I’m feeling nervous because I’m OOS with 0 ties, but I received an interview within 2 weeks of submitting so I feel like that counts for something.
If they invited you , there must be something they like about you very much . Just be confident , relaxed , and try to really “feel” what’s its like to be there .

If you received an interview as OOS with no ties, that definitely counts for something!

Same here! OOS with no ties and lowish MCAT score. They invited me, but I'm also feeling a bit nervous:rolleyes:

Will be here tomorrow night if anyone wants to link up/go out

Heartbroken ... waitlisted ... OOS, weak ties . Does anyone know if there is hope for me ? Or waitlist is automatically a rejection ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heartbroken ... waitlisted ... OOS, weak ties . Does anyone know if there is hope for me ? Or waitlist is automatically a rejection ?

I’m sorry. Just so you know waitlist isn’t an automatic R. Med schools are waitlisting more people this year than previous years and WVU waitlists most OOS applicants. Keep showing interest and there is hope.

I’m sorry. Just so you know waitlist isn’t an automatic R. Med schools are waitlisting more people this year than previous years and WVU waitlists most OOS applicants. Keep showing interest and there is hope.
Thank you for being supportive . Makes me feel a little better

Can you ask your sister if she felt like it wAs hard for her or her friends to match into competitive top residencies ?

My class had people match to residencies at Duke, Baylor, and Mayo (for ophthalmology). They were all in our 1st quartile, but you have to be to match at top residencies no matter which medical school you go to.

You could also ask if people got into competitive specialties. Again, we had a number of people go into dermatology, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, etc...

It may be naive, but it's true. I attended WVU and still think fondly of the faculty. Best of luck!

Anyone know how often the COA reviews waitlisted applicants for acceptance?

Thank you for being supportive . Makes me feel a little better

Try to keep your head up! Like they said, keep showing interest. That’s big. WVU pulls heavily from the waitlist for OOS and a couple of my friends there now were in your same situation.

Withdrawing my II for Feb 11 right now! Hopefully it goes to one of you guys

IS, interviewed in the beginning of January and waitlisted... has anyone been in/ currently in this position? Wondering how many people are on the waitlist, how many waitlisted students typically matriculate, if IS get priority over OOS, what steps to take to increase chances of acceptance, etc.? If anyone has any advice/ been in a similar position at WVU please let me know :)

IS, interviewed in the beginning of January and waitlisted... has anyone been in/ currently in this position? Wondering how many people are on the waitlist, how many waitlisted students typically matriculate, if IS get priority over OOS, what steps to take to increase chances of acceptance, etc.? If anyone has any advice/ been in a similar position at WVU please let me know :)
I am OOS waitlisted

Hey, I was IS and also waitlisted. I interviewed at the end of September and was taken off of the waitlist mid-December (much earlier than I expected). There is definitely hope and IS waitlist movement happens before OOS movement so I would expect it to be at the end of February or early March.

To demonstrate interest I would send in updates whenever you have them. Also a letter of intent if you are serious about the school as this definitely shows commitment.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know if OOS students can apply for IS tuition after MS1?

UPDATE: I emailed them and they said OOS residents cannot achieve in state tuition at any point during med school. Bummer. I know some other schools allow this just FYI.

Last edited:
Are there priority tiers for post-interview waitlist? Can we call to find out this info? Thanks!

UPDATE: I emailed them and they said OOS residents cannot achieve in state tuition at any point during med school. Bummer. I know some other schools allow this just FYI.

This isn't 100% true. If you have a spouse who works in WV and "supports you" or join the WV national guard, you can qualify for in-state tuition after the first year.

This isn't 100% true. If you have a spouse who works in WV and "supports you" or join the WV national guard, you can qualify for in-state tuition after the first year.

Ah, thanks. Here is what they emailed me:

“Unfortunately, attending medical school in-state is not enough to qualify a student for in-state tuition at West Virginia University. A student must have been a continuous resident for twelve months, and must be resident whose primary purpose of residency is not to attend courses, to be able to be classified as a WV resident at WVU.”

Got an acceptance here just last week. Interviewed January 25th.

This isn’t 100% true either though. I’m a WV resident, my fiancée isn’t and we will be married before we both start school at WVU. We’ve both paid WV taxes (granted her for <12 months) from a job IS and I’ve talked directly in person with the people who determine IS or OS status for tuition. This is exactly what they said, “There is a very small chance she could be qualified for in state tuition for WVU at any point in her 4 years of dental school regardless of being married to a resident, her paying taxes, and having a WV drivers license. Although there IS a chance, it is very small as it typically has to be you living/working/paying taxes outside of school for a 12 month period.”

It could be possible if your spouse has paid taxes for 12 months but it is still a long shot and not anywhere close to a guarantee in our case. Now it could happen, but I wanted to give you my situation and what I’ve heard as well so you can make the most informed decision.
Edit: formatting

This isn’t 100% true either though. I’m a WV resident, my fiancée isn’t and we will be married before we both start school at WVU. We’ve both paid WV taxes (granted her for <12 months) from a job IS and I’ve talked directly in person with the people who determine IS or OS status for tuition. This is exactly what they said, “There is a very small chance she could be qualified for in state tuition for WVU at any point in her 4 years of dental school regardless of being married to a resident, her paying taxes, and having a WV drivers license. Although there IS a chance, it is very small as it typically has to be you living/working/paying taxes outside of school for a 12 month period.”

It could be possible if your spouse has paid taxes for 12 months but it is still a long shot and not anywhere close to a guarantee in our case. Now it could happen, but I wanted to give you my situation and what I’ve heard as well so you can make the most informed decision.
Edit: formatting

Got it, thanks! That information is extremely helpful who may qualify for that small chance. I, sadly, do not.

Can anyone knowledgable speak to the total OOS waitlist movement at WVU? Waitlisted mid December. From what I took from the interview, it seemed like there was significant OOS waitlist movement. However, not exactly sure what to expect.

That’s crazy turn around!!! but also kinda sad....

Haha why is it sad?

Their admissions committee meets on Tuesdays. Keep your head up mariposa!! I would say there’s a decent amount of waitlist movement. I think WVU generally waitlists most OOSers outright. Keep showing interest throughout the cycle (updates, letter of interests, etc.).

Their admissions committee meets on Tuesdays. Keep your head up mariposa!! I would say there’s a decent amount of waitlist movement. I think WVU generally waitlists most OOSers outright. Keep showing interest throughout the cycle (updates, letter of interests, etc.).

Thanks! I'm hoping for the best and will definitely keep the school updated :)

OOS interviewed last week...waitlisted again...

Pre II R today. Knew it was coming as I am international. Was a very nice email though!

It was honestly very weird for even the first year students to tell the OOS people "just get ready to be waitlisted." What kind of process is this!!

Reactions: 4 users
It was honestly very weird for even the first year students to tell the OOS people "just get ready to be waitlisted." What kind of process is this!!
I hear you . I am WL there as OOS. I do think it is fair though . They have only one medical school , and it is fair if IS students have priority , j think