2018-2019 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

4th year student here. Feel free to ask questions of me or others about experiences, quality of education and our overall match competitiveness. Best of luck in the up coming cycle and may you select a school that is best for you.

Anyone received a secondary yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received a secondary today 6/27. Verified 6/26.

Reactions: 1 users
Mind posting the secondary prompts? :) Thanks!

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)
is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on
primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including
osteopathic clinical service and graduate medical education. Using a community-based
training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the
healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically
underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career
plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission.

4th year student here. Feel free to ask questions of me or others about experiences, quality of education and our overall match competitiveness. Best of luck in the up coming cycle and may you select a school that is best for you.

Hi there!

I received an interview invitation this morning and I'm very excited!!! (First interview ever!). I'm curious about your personal experience with the school, what are some of your likes and dislikes?
How to you feel about the availability of the instructors and quality of education?
How much "hands-on" learning/clinical exposure did you have during your first and second year?
How is the match competitiveness? Do you see a lot of your class mates matching successfully?
Finally, what are some of the things you enjoy about the area? How much free time do you have in a typical week?

Thanks!

Hi there!

I received an interview invitation this morning and I'm very excited!!! (First interview ever!). I'm curious about your personal experience with the school, what are some of your likes and dislikes?
How to you feel about the availability of the instructors and quality of education?
How much "hands-on" learning/clinical exposure did you have during your first and second year?
How is the match competitiveness? Do you see a lot of your class mates matching successfully?
Finally, what are some of the things you enjoy about the area? How much free time do you have in a typical week?

Thanks!
Hi! Congrats on your interview invite! Can I ask if you ever received a complete e-mail before the invite?

Hi! Congrats on your interview invite! Can I ask if you ever received a complete e-mail before the invite?

Thanks! After submitting my secondary, I received confirmation they receive it, then the invite in a short email exactly a week later. Good luck!

Hi there!

Thanks!

1) Available of educators wide open.
2)Quality of ed? Needs serious improvement but hey I and others made it, just doesnt prep you for boards.
3)Not sure what you mean by hands on.

4) The match is very competitive. Last year the match was not very friendly to us. About half were able to match without soap or scramble. Many had to settle on another field not their first choice.

5) hattiesburg is a small town, never a favorite but the weather is great and there are a few good places to grab a bite and have a nice cold beer.

6) i always had at least 1 day off every week on average. Not too bad.

Hope that helps

Hi there!

Thanks!

What interview dates did they offer you?

What interview dates did they offer you?
I was also offered an II. In the email they sent me they only offered one date, August 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I received an email stating that my secondary application was received on July 2nd, but I have not heard back since. Did you guys receive application complete emails shortly after secondary confirmation?

Hi everyone! I received an email stating that my secondary application was received on July 2nd, but I have not heard back since. Did you guys receive application complete emails shortly after secondary confirmation?
It took one day from receiving my secondary to my application becoming complete. I would call them to make sure they have all of your necessary documents. The admissions office is very helpful.

II today! Only given one date as well, August 20th. Secondary was complete and under review July 8th. Think they'll be lenient with rescheduling? I am in a graduate program and will have class so working something out may be a challenge.

Last edited:
II today! Only given one date as well, August 20th. Secondary was complete and under review Aug 16th. Think they'll be lenient with rescheduling? I am in a graduate program and will have class so working something out may be a challenge.
Congrats on the II. How were you complete and under review August 16th? . Just got the complete and under review email minutes ago

I'm sorry it was complete July 8th, I don't know how I made that ridiculous error.

Current second-year student here to answer any questions so ask away. Also, classes start in a week, so after that, I won't be checking this as often but will do my best!....

Hi there!

How do you feel about the availability of the instructors and quality of education?
How is the match competitiveness? Do you see a lot of your classmates matching successfully?

Thanks!

How do you feel about the availability of the instructors and quality of education?

Availability
It's a smaller school and as such the faculty is small in number and you will get to know them quickly if you make an effort. If you really need to reach them they are available. Most of them hang out in their offices with the door open so you can just pop in whenever and talk. There were two I remember from last year that were never on campus so it was hard to track them down, but the rest were very accommodating.

Quality
FWIW: I have not taken a full board exam, however, I did start prep this summer and have done the Kapan USMLE review course, about 2000 questions, and a full-length test. In addition, I've been using pathoma and first aid. Some of this was over my head (like Pharm, some Micro, and some Path) because we have yet to cover it in class (that will be covered this year), but I can say what I learned from the first year was relevant and I felt prepared on that subject material.

Again, I can't speak for the second year just yet (hasn't started), but the first year we do a fair amount of hands-on clinical training in our "Doctoring Skills" class. No real patients, just the odd-looking robot dummy, and some standardized actor patients. They did a good job last year of integrating the clinical training in with our curriculum, so for example when we covered respiratory in phys, histo, and biochem, we learned how to perform and interpret spirometer testing; for cardio we did ekg leads, readings and ultrasounding of the chest, etc. For your final test in Doctoring Skills, you will have to perform a full physical examination, and by that point, you won't know how to treat, but you should at least be able to recognize what isn't normal and feel comfortable and confident when examining someone.

How is the match competitiveness? Do you see a lot of your classmates matching successfully?
I haven't gone through this, but I did go to last year's graduation ceremony to support some friends. During graduation, they say where they are going for residency training and what specialty. The percentage breakdown was basically on par with the national average. Lots of primary care (FM, IM, OBGYN, Peds), a couple of gen surgs, a couple of specialized. Not too bad, but not ridiculous, like Johns Hopkins or Stanford where over half the class is going into something crazy specialized. Regardless of how people did it, they were still going somewhere after graduating.

Hattiesburg is not a small place or a big place. About 50,000 people? There's enough here where you can go do something if you want, like nice walking trail, a few restaurants and bars, etc. Also, some neat small town stuff like a farmer's market and gatherings in the park, but nothing like a bigger place such as LA or Houston.

Not really a whole lot of free time. I didn't have any days off, but I did go out a few times after exams with my classmates. The first year is a load. I always felt behind, but after it was over and I started to board prep I was surprised by how much I learned because it didn't feel like I was going to be able to retain everything that was thrown at me.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the detailed responses! Its nice to hear your feedback.

Current second-year student here to answer any questions so ask away. Also, classes start in a week, so after that, I won't be checking this as often but will do my best!....

Availability
It's a smaller school and as such the faculty is small in number and you will get to know them quickly if you make an effort. If you really need to reach them they are available. Most of them hang out in their offices with the door open so you can just pop in whenever and talk. There were two I remember from last year that were never on campus so it was hard to track them down, but the rest were very accommodating.

Quality
FWIW: I have not taken a full board exam, however, I did start prep this summer and have done the Kapan USMLE review course, about 2000 questions, and a full-length test. In addition, I've been using pathoma and first aid. Some of this was over my head (like Pharm, some Micro, and some Path) because we have yet to cover it in class (that will be covered this year), but I can say what I learned from the first year was relevant and I felt prepared on that subject material.

Again, I can't speak for the second year just yet (hasn't started), but the first year we do a fair amount of hands-on clinical training in our "Doctoring Skills" class. No real patients, just the odd-looking robot dummy, and some standardized actor patients. They did a good job last year of integrating the clinical training in with our curriculum, so for example when we covered respiratory in phys, histo, and biochem, we learned how to perform and interpret spirometer testing; for cardio we did ekg leads, readings and ultrasounding of the chest, etc. For your final test in Doctoring Skills, you will have to perform a full physical examination, and by that point, you won't know how to treat, but you should at least be able to recognize what isn't normal and feel comfortable and confident when examining someone.

I haven't gone through this, but I did go to last year's graduation ceremony to support some friends. During graduation, they say where they are going for residency training and what specialty. The percentage breakdown was basically on par with the national average. Lots of primary care (FM, IM, OBGYN, Peds), a couple of gen surgs, a couple of specialized. Not too bad, but not ridiculous, like Johns Hopkins or Stanford where over half the class is going into something crazy specialized. Regardless of how people did it, they were still going somewhere after graduating.

Hattiesburg is not a small place or a big place. About 50,000 people? There's enough here where you can go do something if you want, like nice walking trail, a few restaurants and bars, etc. Also, some neat small town stuff like a farmer's market and gatherings in the park, but nothing like a bigger place such as LA or Houston.

Not really a whole lot of free time. I didn't have any days off, but I did go out a few times after exams with my classmates. The first year is a load. I always felt behind, but after it was over and I started to board prep I was surprised by how much I learned because it didn't feel like I was going to be able to retain everything that was thrown at me.

II for August 24th! I was complete on 7/10

If I haven't gotten a secondary for this school by now, should I be worrying? Verified June 15.

500 MCAT, high cgpa and sgpa

If I haven't gotten a secondary for this school by now, should I be worrying? Verified June 15.

500 MCAT, high cgpa and sgpa
I also haven’t gotten a secondary and was verified towards the end of June with almost the same stats

II today! Hopefully I'll be seeing you guys on August 27th. Any recommendations on which airport to fly into?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my first II !!! So excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone gotten flights yet?? Getting pumped! Im flying into MSY (New Orleans).

Last edited:
Yup! I’m getting in on the 4th. Are you interviewing August 6? Can’t wait!
Awesome! I'm actually interviewing Sept. 14, but please let me know how it goes! I heard the campus is pretty

I have an over GPA of 3.59 and MCAT of 501. Do you think I am competitive enough for WCUCOM?

Also, are there a lot of hospitals in the area that WCUCOM students have access to?

I have an over GPA of 3.59 and MCAT of 501. Do you think I am competitive enough for WCUCOM?

Also, are there a lot of hospitals in the area that WCUCOM students have access to?
I have similar stats and I got an interview

This is fine. There are two hospitals in hattiesburg and both you can do rotations at if you want to. There are other 3rd year rotations sites available too. $th year all of your rotations are aways and you set them up.

This is fine. There are two hospitals in hattiesburg and both you can do rotations at if you want to. There are other 3rd year rotations sites available too. $th year all of your rotations are aways and you set them up.

Thank you! And you would say that the location of the med school is good, as far as opportunities and outings go?

Hi,

So, I decided to apply here recently and was wondering if submitting my AACOMAS application WCCOM end of July is considered "late"?

My stats are:
MCAT: 505
UG sGPA: 3.01
Graduate GPA: 3.64
Lots of basic science and clinical research experience along with working as a nurse aid. Thanks for the help!

Hi,

So, I decided to apply here recently and was wondering if submitting my AACOMAS application WCCOM end of July is considered "late"?

My stats are:
Lots of basic science and clinical research experience along with working as a nurse aid. Thanks for the help!
I think you should be fine. It's still pretty early and your stats look good!

Hi,

My stats are:
Not late. Stats are good.

II for 9/24!
How do people plan on getting there? I know Hattiesburg has its own tiny airport but i heard it doesn’t have a car rental on site; any other options for flying in?

For those of you that have completed the secondary, how much time did it take from submitting your primary to get the secondary?

For those of you that have completed the secondary, how much time did it take from submitting your primary to get the secondary?
It took about 2 days or so. Submitted primary in mid June.