2018-2019 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted this cycle. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I am a current pre-clinical student. I have some pretty "strong" opinions on the program, but I'll answer (just about) anything you're curious about.

Also, if you haven't heard back, don't give up hope. When I applied, my app wasn't complete until February, and I didn't interview until the end of May.

I sent you a PM, but haven’t heard back. I’m curious to know what you mean by “strong” opinions on WCUCOM? I was accepted here and would really like to know how you feel about the quality of education you’re receiving and how well you feel they prep students for boards. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone tried to get ahold of the Financial Aid office? I'm trying to reach Lorna Mitchell so I can see what my loans are, since the apartment I want to lease needs my loan statement to lease it out to me. I've tried several times to get ahold of her, and nothing.

Is there a Facebook group or something for the class of 2023?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a Facebook group or something for the class of 2023?
Yes, there is. If you haven't received an invite, just search for "WCUCOM Class of 2023" and request to be invited. One of the admins should accept.

Has anyone tried to get ahold of the Financial Aid office? I'm trying to reach Lorna Mitchell so I can see what my loans are, since the apartment I want to lease needs my loan statement to lease it out to me. I've tried several times to get ahold of her, and nothing.
I recently went to an interview and she told us that she prefers emails to phone calls, so maybe try that?

How was the interview experience/ what should I expect going in?

How was the interview experience/ what should I expect going in?
It's a three on one interview: Dr Weir (director of admissions), one DO physician, and PhD in bio. It's very casual. They have a set of scripted questions that they want to get through, but Dr. Weir will probably ask a spontaneous question tailored to your personality. But the most important questions you should practice are why do you want to be a DO, and why do you want to go to William Carey. Just FYI, if you've been invited they really want you to go there. They don't give everyone secondaries, and a smaller amount interviews. So if you have an interview, it means they really like you. I felt like there was an atmosphere of Mississippi hospitality at the school, so you shouldn't be nervous. Just let them get to know the real you. You'll do great!

Reactions: 2 users
It's a three on one interview: Dr Weir (director of admissions), one DO physician, and PhD in bio. It's very casual. They have a set of scripted questions that they want to get through, but Dr. Weir will probably ask a spontaneous question tailored to your personality. But the most important questions you should practice are why do you want to be a DO, and why do you want to go to William Carey. Just FYI, if you've been invited they really want you to go there. They don't give everyone secondaries, and a smaller amount interviews. So if you have an interview, it means they really like you. I felt like there was an atmosphere of Mississippi hospitality at the school, so you shouldn't be nervous. Just let them get to know the real you. You'll do great!

Just wanted to mirror what was said: If they extend an interview, it's because you have a great chance of getting in.

WCUCOM is one of the few schools I felt that actually pre-screened before sending out secondaries rather than just automatically requiring a secondary from any student that applied.

Hello everyone! I’m interviewing on 3/25 and was wondering how long after the interview do you hear back from the school (for those of you accepted)?

Hello everyone! I’m interviewing on 3/25 and was wondering how long after the interview do you hear back from the school (for those of you accepted)?
Our interview group heard back after the first committee meeting, so that was like three days actually!

Our interview group heard back after the first committee meeting, so that was like three days actually!

Do you know whether or not they are interviewing for available seats or for waitlist spots?

Do you know whether or not they are interviewing for available seats or for waitlist spots?

At this point you’ll most likely be interviewing for the waitlist, but don’t let that stop you from interviewing if you’re interested in the school. There’s usually a fair amount of movement from the waitlist.

When I contacted Donna Day at the very end of February, she stated that the class was 75% full with seats still available. Given an average class size of ~100 and the highly unlikely number of 25 new offers since then (they just had spring break), you're likely interviewing for a seat.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the committee meetings is/when one can expect a call from the school?

Can any students speak specifics regarding the dress code? How strict are professors about it?

Last edited:
Can any students speak specifics regarding the dress code? How strict are professors about it?

The dress code is a specific color of scrubs that the school will sell you (next year is either maroon or bright blue). The school’s clubs will also sell gear that’s approved to wear if you want to wear sweatshirts, sweatpants, or T-shirts. All that being said, I haven’t seen anyone get in trouble for wearing anything else.

Early March we were still interviewing for actual spots. We were told as much when we arrived. I think they'll be upfront once you get there.

For those of you still waiting to interview, my interview was April 1st. There were 8 of us total and I was told there were still two interview dates scheduled out (though, that may be more now). We were told that there were about 108 spots available and 93 had been filled already (these numbers do not include anyone who was accepted from my interview group).

Does anyone have an update on the availability of seats?

Last edited:
Anybody here know when should we start hearing from the school following our acceptance about steps we need to take before class starts?

Anybody here know when should we start hearing from the school following our acceptance about steps we need to take before class starts?
You will receive an email from the administration with all the forms you need to fill out.

Any idea if and when movement will occur from past years?

Any idea if and when movement will occur from past years?

I'm not sure about past years, but Dr. Weir and fellow students during the interview process indicated that the "defer" list...aka: waitlist...stayed intentionally short so that the vast majority would be offered a spot. I'd venture to say that if you're on the defer list and barring any craziness, you're more than likely going to be offered a spot here soon enough.

Orientation starts on July 22nd and admission packets for current accepted students go out at the end of this month. I imagine that those admission packets will be the deciding factor on who from the current class will or will not be attending (both by choice and some possibly by failure to comply with drug/alcohol testing, credit check, etc). After that is known, the waitlist will likely start getting movement. That said, all of this is just my own conjecture based on word of mouth from the students and faculty and a few leaps of reasoning based on reasons folks currently accepted wouldn't be there in July.

Hello all, does the defer list mean that if you are not given a spot you are ensured a spot for next year? Also if accepted is deferring to the next year an option?

Did you ever manage to get a hold of Mrs. Mitchell? I emailed her a week ago about my loans but she never responded.

Hello all, does the defer list mean that if you are not given a spot you are ensured a spot for next year? Also if accepted is deferring to the next year an option?

There are 2 people that I know of in my class who deferred for a year, but from what I understand, you have to ask and be given permission by the administration.

Did you ever manage to get a hold of Mrs. Mitchell? I emailed her a week ago about my loans but she never responded.
As far a I know, the loan applications are not yet available. This is per an email from maybe last week...? (current student here) There will be 2 actual paper forms that you will have to fill out and email back to Mrs. Mitchell + 1 online loan application IIRC. I think I did mine in late May last year, but I'm not 100% sure. I DID have to email her and get a copy of the forms tho, so be aware of that.

I did get a reply from her. I do know she is hard to get a hold of. I was told that our loans/ financial aid would not be finalized until at the end of April/ beginning of May. So hopefully we'll get more information by then, because I need to finalize my lease on my apartment

I did get a reply from her. I do know she is hard to get a hold of. I was told that our loans/ financial aid would not be finalized until at the end of April/ beginning of May. So hopefully we'll get more information by then, because I need to finalize my lease on my apartment
As far a I know, the loan applications are not yet available. This is per an email from maybe last week...? (current student here) There will be 2 actual paper forms that you will have to fill out and email back to Mrs. Mitchell + 1 online loan application IIRC. I think I did mine in late May last year, but I'm not 100% sure. I DID have to email her and get a copy of the forms tho, so be aware of that.

Thank you both for replying! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Is it unheard of for anyone to match in Ortho? I know this a speciality that is seeing an increase in DOs and I was wondering if anyone you knew in your classes was able to match.

Is it unheard of for anyone to match in Ortho? I know this a speciality that is seeing an increase in DOs and I was wondering if anyone you knew in your classes was able to match.
I think we had one match a couple years ago. Theres a lot of former AOA programs that have transitioned to the ACGME side so Orthopedics as a DO is still very much possible as long as the board scores/research etc is there

For those of you stuck in the waiting game (I'm so sorry...it's a stressful place to be), accepted students received their registration packets today. I know that for some of you, your acceptance is dependent on the outcome of said packets. The only due date indicated on them was July 15th. Some folks may decide to reject their offers before then. Some may not qualify based on the information they provide before then. Some may miss the deadline. Hopefully that gives you all some time frames.

If any of you are declining your seat could you please inform the thread.

Just declined my seat. Good luck everyone!

How serious are they about the dress code? I just got the package...

Get like three or four sets of scrub tops/bottoms that they monogram for you and just wear them. If not there are usually club sold jogger sweatpants, hoodies, and sweatshirts that have the school name on them that the admin is fine with us wearing. Between those and/or scrubs you have comfy options and it makes knowing what you'll wear that day pretty straightforward. Plus you'll need scrub sets for 3rd and 4th years, although there will be many rotations then where you'll need to dress up (dependent on specialty and preceptor preference). People did the khakis/nicer pants paired with nicer shoes thing that was in the packet for about a month in first year then moved on.

Dr. Weir mentioned that the committee would be meeting this week to fill open spots. So hopefully we’ll hear some good news soon!

They have sent out emails regarding an alternative list now.

I received an email as well. Is the alternate list essentially just a waitlist? I’m unclear about the difference between ‘deferred’ and ‘alternate’ status. Anyone know more detail on this?

I would imagine that "deferred," "alternate," and "waitlist" are all different words for the same thing.

I don't know about this school. But in WesternU, waitlist goes before alternate list. Not sure about where "deferred" would be.

If I am still on the Alternate list should I be re applying or just wait it out?

Received an acceptance phone call yesterday morning from Jim Weir but declined it. Hopefully it'll go to one ya!

If I am still on the Alternate list should I be re applying or just wait it out?

Reapply. You can withdraw the application if you get accepted. You don't want to be applying late if you end up not getting in this cycle.

Received an acceptance phone call yesterday morning from Jim Weir but declined it. Hopefully it'll go to one ya!
Sounds like it went to me. Got accepted friday afternoon. Turned it down, going with the PCOM-GA acceptance. Already feeling excited about getting enrolled there and got an apartment reserved. Staying in MS was mighty tempting though.