2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck
I have an interview March 6 so they’re still trucking along !
Good luck on your interview. I was interviewed and accepted in January. KCOM is an amazing school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For any current KCOM students, how long is the summer break in between year one and two? I know there are two weeks after finals (at the end of year one) that we are required to do the clinical experiences in KCOM, but how much time is there normally between those clinical experiences ending and the beginning of year two?

You’ll be assigned CE II dates near the end of semester 1, but you can swap with other students if you find someone interested. They’re 2 week experiences to be held either right after you finish the first year or right before year 2 starts. You’ll have about 6 weeks off for summer break.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an email today saying that I was placed on the alternate list. Does anyone know what this is? How is it different from the waitlist?

I got an email today saying that I was placed on the alternate list. Does anyone know what this is? How is it different from the waitlist?
I think its the same as waitlist honestly.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone who interviewed 2/17 is here, has admissions started emailing out decisions? I know its only been 15 days later but just curious. Thanks :)!

Interviewed here this morning. They said they usually go through the entire waitlist but only sometimes accept from the alternate list

For any current KCOM students, how long is the summer break in between year one and two? I know there are two weeks after finals (at the end of year one) that we are required to do the clinical experiences in KCOM, but how much time is there normally between those clinical experiences ending and the beginning of year two?

I think it’s about 1.5 months - 2 months

Is there any way to know how soon an interviewee will hear back about their interview results? Interviewed on Monday, so were wondering when they should expect to hear back.
Especially since this is late in the cycle, I wasn't sure what to tell them since I submitted my apps in the middle of the busy application time. Asking for a friend :)

I interviewed on a Friday in January and was accepted on Thursday the following week. Approximately 6 days :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to know how soon an interviewee will hear back about their interview results? Interviewed on Monday, so were wondering when they should expect to hear back.
Especially since this is late in the cycle, I wasn't sure what to tell them since I submitted my apps in the middle of the busy application time. Asking for a friend :)

Admissions stated decisions are typically emailed out within 2-4 weeks post-interview date. If you want to be more sure in your case, then you can contact the admissions department, who are super nice. Good luck with everything!

Admissions is pretty good with 2-4 week notifications. Hopefully the recent change to school doesn’t affect their work too much.

Interviewed here this morning. They said they usually go through the entire waitlist but only sometimes accept from the alternate list

Did they say what the “accepted pending a seat list” is? Is that waitlist or alternate list?

If any future students have questions about what first year is like, feel free to post. I can answer some here and there now that we are learning from home until April 24th.

Did they say what the “accepted pending a seat list” is? Is that waitlist or alternate list?

Accepting pending seat is the waitlist. You’ll see people post that they’ve been accepted from it soon.

If any future students have questions about what first year is like, feel free to post. I can answer some here and there now that we are learning from home until April 24th.
Is there anything you wish you had known entering first year?
Any way that you wish you could have "prepared" for the upcoming year and facing the massive changes that come with med school compared to any other academic journey thus far?

Reactions: 3 users
Same, interviewed 3/6 and accepted pending an open seat! Probably met you! See you in July possibly!

Withdrew my acceptance today, hoping it goes to one of you! This was my first acceptance this cycle (back in Nov) so a hard goodbye
Good luck everyone!

Is there anything you wish you had known entering first year?
Any way that you wish you could have "prepared" for the upcoming year and facing the massive changes that come with med school compared to any other academic journey thus far?

Every antibiotic adverse reaction possible?

...Just kidding (maybe).

I entered as a non-traditional student, so I was out of school for a bit. Getting back to the study routine was a bit rough the first few weeks. Luckily ATSU-KCOM starts with a light schedule. I will say that I found myself adjusting study habits quite a bit first semester. Find what works best for you. I wish I brushed up on a few of my undergrad courses before starting here. That may have helped, but the professors do an excellent job at teaching you what you need to know and have office hours if you need additional help.

I don’t really know how I would have prepared for medical school any different. I will say that you need to have something to do besides study. Find a hobby before you start school and stick to it. I have 3. They give me things to do besides study all the time, helped me to make friends with similar interests, and also helped to keep me on task. You might think you don’t have time for hobbies, but you really do. At least until Block 5.

Medical school is going to challenge you in more ways than one. Take care of yourself. If you are having problems, reach out to someone. There are learning resources for you, mental health ambassadors, and counselors. I encourage you to use them. Most students do, and it’s entirely confidential. Your professors are here for you and will help you if you are having ANY problems. The class of 2023 will be here for you. You’ll receive an email from SOMA when you start inviting you to sign up for a mentor. I encourage you to do so. I get advice from my mentor at the start of each block to know how to best prepare. The Class of 2023 shares study guides, tables, flow sheets, and charts within our GroupMe. We will also have resources available for you to use to aid in your studies. We will share that with you after Welcome Week.

You do not need to buy any textbooks. Just get an iPad and Apple Pencil. Many of us use Notability, so maybe figure that out before starting. It takes like 5 minutes. Stock up on coffee.

One thing that I think a lot of applicants assume is that medical students all have their life figured out. We don’t. Yeah, there’s a few who know what they want to do and are sticking to it. But the rest of us are still figuring ourselves out throughout this process. Myself included. You don’t have to be perfect, and your first semester will prove that you aren’t. You’re going to make mistakes, and that is perfectly okay. You’ll grow from them.

What have you liked most about KCOM? I am a non-traditional student as well, and am worried about being able to juggle school and family commitments. How have you managed this?

@Medic_To_Doc2018 Just to be clear you're at KCOM and not SOMA right? Can you expand upon SOMA assigning mentors?

As for KCOM, I am looking at the block schedule but am kind of struggling to see myself in a day-to-day schedule. What does a typical day or week look like, say in the second or third block? I want to know what times mandatory classes are, if people skip non mandatory ones, when people work out or study or eat lol, how much time in anatomy lab, etc. Also what percent of their time does an average student spend on campus outside of class (for studying, recreation, etc.)?

Thank you for being here for us!

What have you liked most about KCOM? I am a non-traditional student as well, and am worried about being able to juggle school and family commitments. How have you managed this?

I actually really like how the curriculum is set up. It gets a bit hectic at times with all the classes, but the professors express what's important for us to know for Boards and for each Block. Most of the content is repeated multiple times from different classes to the point where you won't need to look at it again. Some lecturers also refer to Board prep material when creating lectures. Professors, Fellows, and the Learning Center work with students who are struggling who actually express interest in getting help to allow everyone to succeed.

My class has made this year fantastic as well, but I can't speak for how your class will be.

There are many students who attend KCOM with young families. There are some required lectures/labs, but the majority of classes you can listen to from home if you want. This will allow you to balance your studies and personal life. You'll have to figure out a plan to spend time with family. An OMM partner of mine would stay home with family from about 5-9, then would return to school after the kids are asleep to study.

@Medic_To_Doc2018 Just to be clear you're at KCOM and not SOMA right? Can you expand upon SOMA assigning mentors?

As for KCOM, I am looking at the block schedule but am kind of struggling to see myself in a day-to-day schedule. What does a typical day or week look like, say in the second or third block? I want to know what times mandatory classes are, if people skip non mandatory ones, when people work out or study or eat lol, how much time in anatomy lab, etc. Also what percent of their time does an average student spend on campus outside of class (for studying, recreation, etc.)?

Thank you for being here for us!

I attend KCOM. All I know about ATSU-SOMA is that they wear scrubs to school. ;)

ATSU-KCOM's Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) will send an email to the Class of 2024 early in Semester 1 about mentoring. Fill out the Google Doc, and you'll be assigned a second year mentor who is in SOMA. There should be an Ice Cream Social over the lunch hour in which you have the opportunity to meet your mentor, exchange contact info, and talk. Ask any questions you have then, or feel free to reach out to them when you need. We'll be here to help you just like our mentors have helped us.

Second and Third block of Semester 1 are still fairly light. Blocks 1-3 you'll have Anatomy lecture+lab, Histo lecture+lab, and Biochemistry. Complete DOctor (CoDO) and OMM will be during every block but are tested separate from the Block exams. Block 3 is the only block for Immunology your First Year. Ultrasound will be throughout the semester as well, often held during Anatomy split labs.

Block 4-6 is where things start to pick up. You'll have Microbiology and Pharm Block 4-6. Block 4-5 you have Physiology.

Mandatory classes: All Anatomy Labs (27 in semester 1, 12 semester 2), Histo labs, OMM Lab, Ultrasound lab (often split lab with Anatomy), SP's, CoDO labs, Pharm learning exercises (RAT/AE), and Phys workshops. There are some required success forums. OMM is T/Th 8-10 every week. CoDO labs are infrequent but in the afternoon. Anatomy is in the afternoon, generally 1-3 or 4. Depending on how quick you are at dissecting, you can get out early. My anatomy group completes 3 hour labs in about 30 minutes this semester without missing things. Divide and conquer.

Many skip lectures that are not mandatory since they are all recorded. Even the required OMM labs are recorded, so you can run through those before practicals/exams to review (highly recommended). Our class actually had a pretty good turnout first semester for lectures until about Block 5. Then students started listening from home at double speed. Now most of us pick which lectures to attend. I only attend required lectures so I can listen from home. I don't like missing content during first pass, so I pause when something sounds off and rewind until I get it. Also, some lecturers read directly from PowerPoint or test on their iBook's, which you'll figure out as you go.

Second Semester is when you start Systems, so you'll gain Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics and Pathology. Micro becomes Infectious Disease. Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, and Histology are taught throughout. Some classes are more involved during certain Blocks than others. GI Block has every class. Cardiorenal I was very Physiology heavy. Cardiorenal II will have Physiology as well as Internal Medicine. You will still have US, OMM, and CoDO throughout.

First Semester I went from Anatomy lab to workout before I showered. Then I would eat and start studying. Osteoblasters has morning classes, if you're a morning person. They also have afternoon classes. There are other classes as well, so you can pick which workout style you prefer.

People spend as much or as little extra time on campus as they want. There are many study rooms/cubicles in the library if you are interested in studying around others. You can study in groups. I prefer studying without any distractions, so I find a study room or study from home. Your involvement in campus activities will also determine how much time you spend on campus. Many clubs host lunch lectures or afternoon events. You can attend as many (or as few) as you like.

I had a direct message regarding what items to buy based on the school’s IT recommendations.

My response:

I bought a new laptop since I broke mine just before school started. I barely used it last semester and only use it now to play the lectures from home while I have my iPad open to Notability. Everything else is done on my iPad. All quizzes and exams are completed using your iPad in either Lockdown, Canvas, or Examplify.

I have used my laptop for group quizzes for pharm, but that’s just to keep my Excel tables open in a bigger window while I have the quiz open on my iPad. It’s not needed.

GET AN APPLE PENCIL!

Edit:
I highly recommend paying for AppleCare for the duration of your first 2 years. You’ll hear from the doctors about students breaking iPads during labs (frequently OMM). To date, there have been at least 3 broken iPads.

Last edited:
  • Love
To any current students,

How often do you use the sim lab, ultra sound equipment, etc. Are there opportunities to go into these areas in your free time to continue practicing?

To any current students,

How often do you use the sim lab, ultra sound equipment, etc. Are there opportunities to go into these areas in your free time to continue practicing?

Right now, not at all. The campus is completely locked down.

Sim lab: Sim Club hosts case nights throughout the year. They tried doing more this semester. The coordinator of the lab also sends out emails with sign-ups for any interested students in doing lab experiences. I’ve done a few. They’re in the mornings or during academic enrichment. There is an elective for this lab as well. You cannot go into lab alone.

US has open lab hours for those interested each week when there are no classes. You’ll have plenty of practice.

Anatomy lab: Always open when the campus is unlocked. You’ll be able to go in whenever you want.

OMM lab: Whenever you want. The building is unlocked. We have tables throughout campus.

To any current students,

You have the option to be in the sim lab when the 3+4th years plus the interns are running cases in the mornings twice a week. Ultrasound has a good amount of open time if you want to take advantage of it. If you chose to do rotations here there is a ton more use of this equipment in my opinion than during preclinical years.

You have the option to be in the sim lab when the 3+4th years plus the interns are running cases in the mornings twice a week. Ultrasound has a good amount of open time if you want to take advantage of it. If you chose to do rotations here there is a ton more use of this equipment in my opinion than during preclinical years.

How often are 3/4th years on campus (and how many of them are there?) Do you think KCOM is a good place for rotations? I imagine they only offer rotations for the residencies provided by Northeast Regional Med Center?

How often are 3/4th years on campus (and how many of them are there?) Do you think KCOM is a good place for rotations? I imagine they only offer rotations for the residencies provided by Northeast Regional Med Center?

From a 4th year:

“There are 10 4th years and 12 3rd years.

Everyone comes to campus once during 3rd year. And probably 30 or so 3rd years from other sites that don’t have residency programs rotate through for coca requirements. I’ve liked it for rotations. You rotate with more than just the residency programs. For example you can do rads, ent, ortho, surg, hospice, ob/gyn.

The only ones you really have to go out for are psych and peds but even peds is starting to be in town more. You can finish your 3rd and 4th year only going out for maybe 2 rotations.”

• Love
Withdrew my acceptance today! This school is awesome, I just have a different school that is a better fit for me. Good luck you guys :)

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance today, hoping it goes to one of you! This was my first acceptance this cycle (back in Nov) so a hard goodbye
Good luck everyone!
Did you email or something. I'm trying to withdraw my acceptance as well. A hard goodbye tbh.

Did you email or something. I'm trying to withdraw my acceptance as well. A hard goodbye tbh.
Yeah I sent an email but sent a little bit of a message with it as well! Just for personal rapport :)

Officially just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you my future colleagues......Good luck to everyone.
Was a sad goodbye because ATSU-KCOM was so welcoming and accommodating. :smack:

Officially just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you my future colleagues......Good luck to everyone.
Was a sad goodbye because ATSU-KCOM was so welcoming and accommodating. :smack:
congrats! can i ask where you will be going?

What iPad model are we required to buy for KCOM? Want to be prepared to buy what I need when/if offered a seat in the class of 2024. Thanks in advance!

Sorry I didn't see this til now! Yes, I sent an email and then filled out their survey they sent afterwards.

Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/11/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 10/2/19 (late due to personal emergency and realizing that accidentally applied to this medical school - was not very interested in either location)

Rejected: 4/24/20

Goodluck all!

Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/11/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 10/2/19 (late due to personal emergency and realizing that accidentally applied to this medical school - was not very interested in either location)

Rejected: 4/24/20

Goodluck all!
Sorry to hear that.
Stay positive