2019-2020 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was called and emailed yesterday for the second time by ACOM offering me a waitlist position (they offered me a seat from the waitlist back in February too). Politely declined.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was called and emailed yesterday for the second time by ACOM offering me a waitlist position (they offered me a seat from the waitlist back in February too). Politely declined.
Dude, they called you a SECOND time? Damn, I'm jealous. Send them my way

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Did anyone that get off the waitlist get a call from Linda Goodson offering a seat, and then a following call from someone else saying their from ACOM Admissions asking your social security over the phone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Did anyone that get off the waitlist get a call from Linda Goodson offering a seat, and then a following call from someone else saying their from ACOM Admissions asking your social security over the phone?
I got called by Mr Willis, but he never asked for my social. They should have that through aacomas anyway, I'd check on Monday. Or check your discover.acom page, that will say if you've been accepted

Wow that sounds like some scam lol

I can confirm this is legitimate! Accepted off the waitlist! :love::soexcited:

I requested the Facebook group, is there also a class GroupMe?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
i need the groupme link as well

Class of 2024, have any of you been removed off of the interview waitlist or heard of people who have?? I'm applying to start in 2021, and have been sitting in the "interview waitlist" for two weeks now.

Class of 2024, have any of you been removed off of the interview waitlist or heard of people who have?? I'm applying to start in 2021, and have been sitting in the "interview waitlist" for two weeks now.
yes, people were pulled off the interview waitlist until April, but most of the interview waitlist movement started around the new year, to be honest.

Yeah I was originally put on the interview waitlist and got an II like 2-4 weeks later I believe and got accepted. Just let them know you’re very interested.

Do any current students have a child or children and can speak on the extra "up to $10k" in loans? My fiance and I are trying to figure out finances pending acceptances at each school I am interviewing.

what do you mean? what the school does is gives you a max amount you can take out for tuition, living, insurances, rent etc... and then you determine what you will take out. For example, the school offered 85K but you only need 70k to pay for everything for a year only take out that much. All schools give you a little cushion and if you have kids you can take out more since school realized that kids are not free. Basically, all schools allow you to take out more loans if you have children.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, okay. That makes more sense. I seen on ACOMs website that they will give a max of $10k on top of the offer they give you if you have a child.

Honestly, Dothan is so cheap you can take off significantly less loans then they offer which is huge when you see the interest you rack up just during school

Thats great to hear. With having a toddler my fiance is going to try and find a work from home job so we can save on childcare, however I want to be able to not have my family or I starve to badly while Im in school haha

Ahhh, okay. That makes more sense. I seen on ACOMs website that they will give a max of $10k on top of the offer they give you if you have a child.

According to the ACOM Cost of Attendance page, you have to specifically request the additional allowance that is capped at $10,000 dollars per years. You do not automatically get $10,000, but an amount based on the number and age of your dependents. You would definitely want to contact ACOM regarding the specific application process for receiving this as it is not automatically included in the standard cost of attendance budget.

• Love
According to the ACOM Cost of Attendance page, you have to specifically request the additional allowance that is capped at $10,000 dollars per years. You do not automatically get $10,000, but an amount based on the number and age of your dependents. You would definitely want to contact ACOM regarding the specific application process for receiving these as it is not automatically included in the standard cost of attendance budget.

I appreciate your input. That is great to know!

Do any current students have a child or children and can speak on the extra "up to $10k" in loans? My fiance and I are trying to figure out finances pending acceptances at each school I am interviewing.

COL is fairly cheap here. I'm paying ~$700/month (rent+utilities+internet) for a 2 bedroom.
They also have a payment plan you can sign up for that divides your tuition into 4 equal payments over the year which helps a bit with budgeting (and saves you some money since you can leave whatever cash you have in a savings account/CD/investments to accrue interest until you need it).

Process for requesting loans is pretty simple, you just fill out two forms, send them in and they direct deposit the next week (usually Wednesday).

COL is fairly cheap here. I'm paying ~$700/month (rent+utilities+internet) for a 2 bedroom.
They also have a payment plan you can sign up for that divides your tuition into 4 equal payments over the year which helps a bit with budgeting (and saves you some money since you can leave whatever cash you have in a savings account/CD/investments to accrue interest until you need it).

Process for requesting loans is pretty simple, you just fill out two forms, send them in and they direct deposit the next week (usually Wednesday).

This helped me out a lot. Thank you so much!

How close are you to the school?

just for reference I have a 3bd/2ba/1 car garage house with a yard 3 mins from school. I pay 950 for rent. All of my utilities run about 150 total.

• Wow
just for reference I have a 3bd/2ba/1 car garage house with a yard 3 mins from school. I pay 950 for rent. All of my utilities run about 150 total.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

Would any current student mind if I pick their brain about the school? I want to be prepared and make sure certain aspects I like are what I think they are lol.

Can any current students speak on the cost of utilities? I know that it will vary from house to house due to size and usage, etc. I am just trying to get a feel and prepare. We are going to be two adults and a 2 year old and we would love a small three bedroom house.

Can any current students speak on the cost of utilities? I know that it will vary from house to house due to size and usage, etc. I am just trying to get a feel and prepare. We are going to be two adults and a 2 year old and we would love a small three bedroom house.
I shared a 3 bed with a classmate last year.

$100-150 for electricity. $150 in the summers, lower in the winter.
$50 for water
Lawn care is $30-50 for a trim
Internet's $50-100 depending on where you go.
I'd definitely check ISPs before you move anywhere. Some places even though they're only 10-15 mins from campus only have satellite or low speed dsl.

I shared a 3 bed with a classmate last year.

$100-150 for electricity. $150 in the summers, lower in the winter.
$50 for water
Lawn care is $30-50 for a trim
Internet's $50-100 depending on where you go.
I'd definitely check ISPs before you move anywhere. Some places even though they're only 10-15 mins from campus only have satellite or low speed dsl.

Forgive me for this question as it may be stupid. lol. How do you check ISPs?

Any current students choose ACOM over VCOM-Auburn? What made you choose ACOM?

Coming from Austin, TX,I thought this was a joke when I looked on Zillow. I figured they had to be per room. lol. What is the best place to look for places to rent? I really would like a place with a garage at least.

Coming from Austin, TX,I thought this was a joke when I looked on Zillow. I figured they had to be per room. lol. What is the best place to look for places to rent? I really would like a place with a garage at least.
That is the tough part. I didn't find a lot of house on zillow or rent.com. I had to search for property managers in dothan and check their websites daily. There are a few neighborhoods within 2 miles of the school. It's also not 2 miles with traffic. My commute takes me 3 mins. Some students live further across town and their commute is around 15 mins. Traffic in dothan isn't bad, especially if you're comparing it to a place that has traffic(Atlanta, southern Ca, etc). People will talk about rush hour around here which does make traffic worse but not by much. It usually just adds 5 mins to your drive. One thing to know about Dothan is that its not very walkable. Some people live in the apartments next to campus and don't have cars. I'm not sure how though.

That is the tough part. I didn't find a lot of house on zillow or rent.com. I had to search for property managers in dothan and check their websites daily. There are a few neighborhoods within 2 miles of the school. It's also not 2 miles with traffic. My commute takes me 3 mins. Some students live further across town and their commute is around 15 mins. Traffic in dothan isn't bad, especially if you're comparing it to a place that has traffic(Atlanta, southern Ca, etc). People will talk about rush hour around here which does make traffic worse but not by much. It usually just adds 5 mins to your drive. One thing to know about Dothan is that its not very walkable. Some people live in the apartments next to campus and don't have cars. I'm not sure how though.
Thanks this was helpful! I have been looking on sites like that and was wondering why there were so few houses to rent.

Thanks this was helpful! I have been looking on sites like that and was wondering why there were so few houses to rent.
Lots of houses that are owned by other students or rented by students are put on Facebook pages as the summer gets closer. But I would agree it's pretty hard to find something good through the internet, most of the students that are renting nice house either came out to Dothan in person to look or knew someone in the area.