2019-2020 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the social, what is the dress code? It says it is a "casual social", but could someone clarify what casual in this instance means?
It’s an informal get together with current students that has no bearing on your application. Wear something comfortable but appropriate for the occasion, like chinos and a button down.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s an informal get together with current students that has no bearing on your application. Wear something comfortable but appropriate for the occasion, like chinos and a button down.
Thanks! I am a girl does anyone have any recommendations for women's outfits or saw what most of the women were wearing to this?

Has anyone else interviewing on 8/23 not heard back yet about student hosting? I emailed the provided email address yesterday and got no response, and my hotel is only refundable if I cancel by 8/19 :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else interviewing on 8/23 not heard back yet about student hosting? I emailed the provided email address yesterday and got no response, and my hotel is only refundable if I cancel by 8/19 :/

Yesterday I received an email that suggested we should definitely know by Monday whether they can accommodate us or not

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I am a girl does anyone have any recommendations for women's outfits or saw what most of the women were wearing to this?
Maybe a nice dress with a cargian or simple blazer, or slacks with a nice top

II yesterday afternoon! Does anyone know if the dinner the night before is mandatory/if it would be okay if I was a little late?

Is Baylor receptive to "in the area" emails? I just heard these were a thing, would you guys recommend them?

There are lots of people fitting that description in Texas. :)
Haha, I'm OOS, a good 8-9 hours away, so I guess it might be different for me? I'll be in Houston towards the end of September so I was wondering if I should send Baylor an ITA email or if it's too early for that kind of shenanigan

Haha, I'm OOS, a good 8-9 hours away, so I guess it might be different for me? I'll be in Houston towards the end of September so I was wondering if I should send Baylor an ITA email or if it's too early for that kind of shenanigan
Only if you have already been offered an interview from Baylor and want to adjust the dates to combine a trip

II yesterday afternoon! Does anyone know if the dinner the night before is mandatory/if it would be okay if I was a little late?
When did you submit? Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if you have already been offered an interview from Baylor and want to adjust the dates to combine a trip
Ohh, I heard you can send one if you'll just be in the area so that if the school was planning on sending you an II they might help you out?

Ohh, I heard you can send one if you'll just be in the area so that if the school was planning on sending you an II they might help you out?

Depends on the school but sometimes it could come off as a bit pretentious. Also if they start using that then you know damn well every neurotic premed kid is gonna start "having interviews" in the area cause I don't think they can ask for proof

I think that might be more common for residency interviews but not med school. You would be expecting the committee to go find your app, decide if you will get an interview, and do it when you want it. Maybe asking them to do this will make you seem arrogant and could tip the balance toward them not interviewing you. Is your impatience (or simple eagerness) worth the risk?

Reactions: 2 users
aw man they didn't respond to either of my emails :(

I was about to book a hotel....from what I can tell, one student is in charge of organizing the matches and then communicating to all hosts/interviewees so I think he is swimming through emails lol...I would give it until late evening and then book a hotel if still no dice

I was about to book a hotel....from what I can tell, one student is in charge of organizing the matches and then communicating to all hosts/interviewees so I think he is swimming through emails lol...I would give it until late evening and then book a hotel if still no dice

Luckily I already have a hotel booked, today's just the last day to cancel it. Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know about their post II acceptance rate for IS applicants?

Data varies by year but it seems to be 42%-46%

Edit: OOS Post II Acceptance is 23%-28%

Oh cool I’ll take that. Where did you get that data from? If I used the MSAR I would have to assume the amount of acceptances they give relative to the amount of students who actually matriculate.

US News World Report data from 2017 & 2018. People have said it isnt 100% accurate but likely the best available
That’s good to know. Thank you for the info!

By the way: current Baylor student here. Feel free to shoot me questions about my thoughts on the school / living in Houston / why the rockets are going to take it all this year

Reactions: 3 users
By the way: current Baylor student here. Feel free to shoot me questions about my thoughts on the school / living in Houston / why the rockets are going to take it all this year
any Canadians in your class?

Interviewing here on 9/13. Are prior interviewees allowed to give details on their experience, like the types of questions asked, or is this frowned upon?

Interviewing here on 9/13. Are prior interviewees allowed to give details on their experience, like the types of questions asked, or is this frowned upon?
There's an "Interview Feedback" resource available here on SDN. I don't think it's a commonly used page so some replies may be dated. Most people have liked their Baylor visit day and the questions asked are going to depend largely on the interviewer you happen to get. Here's the Baylor page: Baylor College of Medicine Interview Feedback

There's an "Interview Feedback" resource available here on SDN. I don't think it's a commonly used page so some replies may be dated. Most people have liked their Baylor visit day and the questions asked are going to depend largely on the interviewer you happen to get. Here's the Baylor page: Baylor College of Medicine Interview Feedback
Most interviewers have their own style of asking or reviewing the app in front of them with the person being interviewed. They are not being told to ask specific set of questions for all candidates that are being compared among candidates.

Holy guacamole, MSTP II today!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Got an interview yesterday afternoon! IS. Completed 7/8 so there's still hope for us July submitters!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I had no research experience and was accepted with scholarship. OOS. Everyone's experiences are different but there are definitely no minimum research requirements or anything like that

~~~~~~

Same experience here-- OOS, scholarship, despite no research (but great EC's)...was on WL, had interviewed at the very end of the cycle (complete late), accepted early May.

a reprise of a telling post from a prior BCM student...FYI for those of you considering BCM versus other options--

A few things that I considered when making my choice to attend BCM, and some other things that I think are really cool about it:

1) Curriculum/Testing schedule. I think Baylor has really nailed the 1.5 preclinical year thing. Yeah, it's technically 'accelerated' from the traditional 2 year preclinicals, but it doesn't feel like we are at breakneck speed. Don't get me wrong, it's med school and it's challenging, but I haven't felt like the speed has been outrageous. Another bonus: we have tests roughly every 2 months during MS1. From what I remember, this is different from many other schools which are on an every 4-6 week testing schedule, roughly speaking. Not having tests looming over my head constantly every few weeks has been clutch.

2) TMC. It's very large and there's lots of stuff in it, i.e. there's no shortage of research/shadowing/mentorship here. The TMC also has some of the best hospitals around (TCH comes to mind, a place where we do lots of rotations) and some of the most interesting hospitals around (hang out in the Ben Taub ED for like an hour and you'll understand what I mean). One of the best clinical experiences in the country.

3) People like med students here. Once you have 'bcm.edu' at the end of your email address, people will help you. This means that cold emails to PI's, people to shadow, etc., don't get left on read. I kid you not I had a faculty member (who I cold emailed lmao) with whom I am beginning some research say to me last week "You're a Baylor student so you can ask just about anyone for help and they will help you, even if they have no idea who you are." Pretty dope if you ask me.

4) Peer to peer teaching/support. This is arguably the coolest part of being an MS1 at Baylor. Your upperclassmen will spend dedicated time with you every week teaching you the high yield stuff for anatomy. There will be practice anatomy practicals set up for you on Fridays so you can simulate the real deal before it actually happens. I know 'collaborative' is a buzzword thrown out at like literally every med school interview day ever, but there are tangible, structured things here at BCM that show for it.

5) Baylor students historically (and continue) to crush Step 1. I think there are a variety of reasons for this, but there is a really solid track record of very high Step 1 averages for the past decade or so.

These are just a few reasons that came to mind. Baylor is a really exciting place to be, and tbh, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for med school. Definitely consider the things that are most important to you, but I hope this helps.

Reactions: 9 users
Ok so nobody warned me there was like 60 interviewees today :laugh: I'm so used to 10 or 11

• Wow
How was the interview??
Pretty chill. The faculty *really* stressed group work, your role in a group, and being able to adjust to change in his questioning though. I'd be prepared for that.

@u_raptor how are you dealing with scheduling these interviews? I only have half the amount of IIs (no brag) but have already had to cancel interviews because some schools give very limited options for dates you can interview. Pretty sure I’m already going to have to cancel 3 or 4

@u_raptor how are you dealing with scheduling these interviews? I only have half the amount of IIs (no brag) but have already had to cancel interviews because some schools give very limited options for dates you can interview. Pretty sure I’m already going to have to cancel 3 or 4
I guess getting them so early has allowed me to have a larger options of dates to choose from. Beyond that got lucky in terms of spacing. There has only been like 2 that I have had to reschedule (they gave me a date Instead of having to choose one).

Pretty chill. The faculty *really* stressed group work, your role in a group, and being able to adjust to change in his questioning though. I'd be prepared for that.
Baylor is pretty cool school. They keep yoyoing wildly on their ranking but the school has almost number 1 ranking in step 1 scores.

Baylor is pretty cool school. They keep yoyoing wildly on their ranking but the school has almost number 1 ranking in step 1 scores.
Also right next to an amazing medical center by the looks of it. You get both amazing research opportunities, and what looks like great outreach opportunities. From what I remember the Taub hospital there acts as a safety net hospital, and gets a lot of underserved or under/uninsured pts. so you get exposed to a lot of opportunities to work within your passions

a reprise of a telling post from a prior BCM student...FYI for those of you considering BCM versus other options--

A few things that I considered when making my choice to attend BCM, and some other things that I think are really cool about it:

1) Curriculum/Testing schedule. I think Baylor has really nailed the 1.5 preclinical year thing. Yeah, it's technically 'accelerated' from the traditional 2 year preclinicals, but it doesn't feel like we are at breakneck speed. Don't get me wrong, it's med school and it's challenging, but I haven't felt like the speed has been outrageous. Another bonus: we have tests roughly every 2 months during MS1. From what I remember, this is different from many other schools which are on an every 4-6 week testing schedule, roughly speaking. Not having tests looming over my head constantly every few weeks has been clutch.

2) TMC. It's very large and there's lots of stuff in it, i.e. there's no shortage of research/shadowing/mentorship here. The TMC also has some of the best hospitals around (TCH comes to mind, a place where we do lots of rotations) and some of the most interesting hospitals around (hang out in the Ben Taub ED for like an hour and you'll understand what I mean). One of the best clinical experiences in the country.

3) People like med students here. Once you have 'bcm.edu' at the end of your email address, people will help you. This means that cold emails to PI's, people to shadow, etc., don't get left on read. I kid you not I had a faculty member (who I cold emailed lmao) with whom I am beginning some research say to me last week "You're a Baylor student so you can ask just about anyone for help and they will help you, even if they have no idea who you are." Pretty dope if you ask me.

4) Peer to peer teaching/support. This is arguably the coolest part of being an MS1 at Baylor. Your upperclassmen will spend dedicated time with you every week teaching you the high yield stuff for anatomy. There will be practice anatomy practicals set up for you on Fridays so you can simulate the real deal before it actually happens. I know 'collaborative' is a buzzword thrown out at like literally every med school interview day ever, but there are tangible, structured things here at BCM that show for it.

5) Baylor students historically (and continue) to crush Step 1. I think there are a variety of reasons for this, but there is a really solid track record of very high Step 1 averages for the past decade or so.

These are just a few reasons that came to mind. Baylor is a really exciting place to be, and tbh, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for med school. Definitely consider the things that are most important to you, but I hope this helps.

I just got an interview invite and Im extremely excited about it, I was wondering how work-life balance is for you at Baylor? Ive heard some horror stories (though mostly from students at other schools, so trying to take it with a grain of salt since they could just be trying to get me to go to their school) that BCM students study every single day from 6 am to 10 pm and have no time off or work-life balance, do you get those vibes at all? (Obviously I know its medical school and I will be busy and stressed wherever I go, but I was just wondering if you feel more busy/stressed/overworked than maybe peers at other schools)