MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
What will you be doing with your research year?
I’m going to keep it somewhat vague in this thread to preserve some semblance of anonymity, but I’ll be doing clinical research within one of the fields that I’m tentatively interested in going in to. Feel free to PM if you’d like more details.

Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma
Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey MC thanks for taking the time :) I've heard on this site and from my premed advisor that Duke seems to appreciate late bloomers/comeback apps... does any of that ring true for you?

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Hey MC thanks for taking the time :) I've heard on this site and from my premed advisor that Duke seems to appreciate late bloomers/comeback apps... does any of that ring true for you?
In my talks with the admissions committee, they have mentioned how they read every completed application and that they are looking for a cohesive story. Therefore, I think this makes them inclined to invite more non-traditional/‘unique’ applicants, though I don’t have any hard evidence of this fact, just a hunch (and maybe the bias that I am a non-trad with a different background). Ultimately, I think the decision comes down to if you don’t mind spending the money for the application. I know the entire process sucks and is prohibitively expensive, but if you can picture yourself being at Duke, and your stats are somewhat within range, I would encourage you to submit an app.

Feb 26, 2019
I’m going to keep it somewhat vague in this thread to preserve some semblance of anonymity, but I’ll be doing clinical research within one of the fields that I’m tentatively interested in going in to. Feel free to PM if you’d like more details.
Do people do research outside of the research year? I'm applying with a PhD and I've heard Duke waives the research year for students like me, but I do want to continue doing research down the line.

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Do people do research outside of the research year? I'm applying with a PhD and I've heard Duke waives the research year for students like me, but I do want to continue doing research down the line.
Yeah, you can do research from day 1 if you would like. No shortage of research to be done!

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Do you know anyone who applied for Duke's MD/MBA program? How selective is it?
Just to clarify, you don't apply to the MD/MBA program upon admission - you apply to your MBA during your second year (first year of MBA during your MS3 year). So this gives you ample time to decide if you do/don't want to pursue an MBA. Unfortunately, I don't have any numbers on how selective the program is. I only know that two of my classmates this year applied, and both were accepted!

Reactions: TheDoc-Is-In
Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I posted something similar to this in the WUSTL thread as well, but Duke is my other top choice for medical school. I was wondering being a Mathematics major along with two other challenging majors (Biochemistry and Immunology), would a GPA of around a 3.5 be too low to apply with? Unfortunately, I have earned several A-s/B+s because of the sheer difficulty of my curriculum rather than not studying enough. All other things considered, I have plenty of clinical volunteering hours and shadowing experience along with other ECs. I am counting on scoring well on my MCAT to compensate for the rather mediocre GPA but still I would like to know if it is even worth applying? And what would be a good MCAT score to aim for given my below average GPA?

MemeLord

Man-Frog, Lord of the Knarly ‘Trip’
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I posted something similar to this in the WUSTL thread as well, but Duke is my other top choice for medical school. I was wondering being a Mathematics major along with two other challenging majors (Biochemistry and Immunology), would a GPA of around a 3.5 be too low to apply with? Unfortunately, I have earned several A-s/B+s because of the sheer difficulty of my curriculum rather than not studying enough. All other things considered, I have plenty of clinical volunteering hours and shadowing experience along with other ECs. I am counting on scoring well on my MCAT to compensate for the rather mediocre GPA but still I would like to know if it is even worth applying? And what would be a good MCAT score to aim for given my below average GPA?
Good MCAT score to aim for? The higher the better, but a 518+ is solid for Duke and decent for WashU. A high MCAT does not make up for a low GPA, but a high MCAT can improve an app with a low GPA

Reactions: Isomorphic
Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Good MCAT score to aim for? The higher the better, but a 518+ is solid for Duke and decent for WashU. A high MCAT does not make up for a low GPA, but a high MCAT can improve an app with a low GPA
Thank you for the quick response! At this point, I was wondering would it be even advisable for me to apply to Duke or no? I never intended for my MCAT to compensate for my medium GPA but I do wish to be competitive, I am realistically on the fence about applying given that these schools are very competitive so I'm unsure whether it is even worth applying. :)

MemeLord

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for the quick response! At this point, I was wondering would it be even advisable for me to apply to Duke or no? I never intended for my MCAT to compensate for my medium GPA but I do wish to be competitive, I am realistically on the fence about applying given that these schools are very competitive so I'm unsure whether it is even worth applying. :)
You can still get in anywhere with a 3.5 (Look at NYU class profile, they report a lowest GPA of 3.45).

Where you should apply is MCAT dependent. If you get 520+ then allly wherever you want it the app is good. 518+ will net you T20 not many T10. 515+ will be solid for T50. 512+ you still are highly competitive for most MD schools. 508+ do 50/50 MD/DO, 504+ do DO, 496+ do Podiatry.

You got this, just know that your school list is highly MCAT dependent.

Feb 26, 2019
It depends on the rest of your application, but statistically, with a 3.5, your chances are not great at either of these schools regardless of your MCAT. While both are great schools of similar prestige, Duke has a reputation for being more holistic and WUSTL has a reputation for being more numbers-focused.

It is unwise for any applicant to get fixated on one or two schools (particularly top schools) before applying. Apply broadly and smartly (e.g. include your state public schools) and see what happens. But first, do the best you can on your MCAT, not what you think will get you into Duke/WUSTL.

Reactions: peanuttbuttah

BigSkyBeta

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Honestly the biggest question you need to ask yourself is this: would I like to go to Duke (and for that matter, Washington University) for medical school? If the answer is yes, and the finances are not an issue, then you should be applying to every school you could imagine yourself at. I would argue that a 3.5 is a fine GPA considering you were a triple major (if I was reading that correctly).

Duke's application is notorious, but it also gives you one of the strongest opportunities to make a case for yourself on paper. If you want to be here, there is no reason not to put your name in the hat.

Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry, just chiming in. Do you have a MCAT score or just expecting to score 95+ percentile?

Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I do not as of yet, but based on my FLs, I am hoping to break a 518.
I would just want to caution that spending time thinking about the schools you'll apply to with your dream score is just time spent not actually studying. I've seen a few people make that mistake, wouldn't want it to happen to you.

Also n=1 but my actual score was 4.5 points lower than my FL average, so drops can happen. I say really crush the exam first and then swing for the fences after

Zen Arcade

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Also n=1 but my actual score was 4.5 points lower than my FL average, so drops can happen. I say really crush the exam first and then swing for the fences after
So your average FL was 526? Good advice though, drops can and do happen all the time, don't bank on for sure hitting your FL score.

Reactions: Isomorphic
Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So your average FL was 526? Good advice though, drops can and do happen all the time, don't bank on for sure hitting your FL score.
Yeah. I falsely took that to mean I should expect a 526 on the real deal, but really it just means that there are versions of the MCAT where I would earn a 526-527. There's no guarantee that your test day MCAT will fall into that category though

Feb 26, 2019
Yeah. I falsely took that to mean I should expect a 526 on the real deal, but really it just means that there are versions of the MCAT where I would earn a 526-527. There's no guarantee that your test day MCAT will fall into that category though

Once you get past a certain point the difference in 1 point can easily be 1 question. Just missing 1 additional question per section could net you 4 fewer points.

MemeLord

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Once you get past a certain point the difference in 1 point can easily be 1 question. Just missing 1 additional question per section could net you 4 fewer points.
True that. I blame my 129 in P/S on missing two gimme questions that I didn’t have a random factoid memorized.

Reactions: peanuttbuttah