2023-2024 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS Post-II R - hurts way more than all my Pre-II Rs lol, who woulda thought

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Pre-II R. Had no business applying other than being an undergrad alum 😂 so this was expected

Anyone know if Duke is P/F for clerkships as well? I keep seeing conflicting information from sources online.

Any current students with families making less than 100k willing to talk about the aid situation? Just tryna gauge if I'd get any aid from Duke. Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Any current students with families making less than 100k willing to talk about the aid situation? Just tryna gauge if I'd get any aid from Duke. Thanks!
My parent's household income is between 100-150k, and for the last two years Duke has covered ~50% of my total estimated cost of attendance through need-based grants/scholarships, and then the rest is provided in federal loans.

Reactions: 5 users
My parent's household income is between 100-150k, and for the last two years Duke has covered ~50% of my total estimated cost of attendance through need-based grants/scholarships, and then the rest is provided in federal loans.
do you know if all students receive max ~50% of their estimated need or if low-income students can receive more?

Last edited:
do you know if all students receive max ~50% of their estimated need or if low-income students can receive more?
I believe it’s case by case and depends on your FAFSA and CSS profile. I do know a friend who is from a lower income household who explained their situation and Duke increased their aid to ~90% but I’m not sure what their original offer was.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if Duke is P/F for clerkships as well? I keep seeing conflicting information from sources online.
2nd year clerkships are 100% P/F! Your transcript will show Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory for each rotation.

Just wanted to clarify with fellow WL people, at this time are we allowed to forward any sort of updates or LOI with Duke Admin? Or are our cases closed and we are waiting on the committee to re-evaluated April 30th?

Just wanted to clarify with fellow WL people, at this time are we allowed to forward any sort of updates or LOI with Duke Admin? Or are our cases closed and we are waiting on the committee to re-evaluated April 30th?
will there be no movement until April 30th?

The admissions office said they allow updates from waitlisted applicants through their email.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi y’all, this was my first A and I was wondering what I’m supposed to do with it if I’m still waiting on other schools’ decisions/financial aid? Do I accept anything or put a deposit down or just wait it out? Appreciate any help!

Is there somewhere to accept the offer of admission?

Does anyone know if Duke is the kind of school to match financial aid from schools like NYU/Einstein now, where there is no tuition?

hello! i made a groupme for admitted students bc i don't think duke is gonna provide one until admitted students day. here's the link - GroupMe

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the etiquette that Duke likes for waitlisted applicants? Like do they appreciate update letters, and could you send a letter of intent to them? Does that kind of stuff influence the waitlist process? I'm trying to figure out how to play my cards... Also how does their waitlist work? Is it like a random selection or deliberate selection

Does anyone know the etiquette that Duke likes for waitlisted applicants? Like do they appreciate update letters, and could you send a letter of intent to them? Does that kind of stuff influence the waitlist process? I'm trying to figure out how to play my cards... Also how does their waitlist work? Is it like a random selection or deliberate selection

Could be wrong but I believe their waitlist uses an unranked system and not a ranked one (ie. Instead of ranking everyone from 1 to 200, it’s more like if someone who has a lot of research, is from Washington, and plays the guitar drops out, they will try to replace them with someone who has similar characteristics to keep the “full class look and feel” as close to their ideal as possible)

Does anyone know when we should sent letters of interest or intent to Duke if we are on the waitlist? Should we wait for April 30th, or can we go ahead and send them?

Does anyone know when we should sent letters of interest or intent to Duke if we are on the waitlist? Should we wait for April 30th, or can we go ahead and send them?
Yeah I'm wondering this too... would it be inappropriate to email them and ask their policy on letters and updates post-WL? If I do I promise I will let u all know what they say

Yeah I'm wondering this too... would it be inappropriate to email them and ask their policy on letters and updates post-WL? If I do I promise I will let u all know what they say
I did and they said they would update more in may

I'm sure they take updates or letters of intent for WL. I would imagine there is no discussing WL people until after 5/1 so I imagine as long as you get it in before then that's all that matters. If there is no chance there will be material developments between now and 5/1 I guess there is no harm in sending now. I wouldn't want to send two updates though.

Tik Tok Stare GIF
don't join the groupme if you haven't already

• Haha
hello! i made a groupme for admitted students bc i don't think duke is gonna provide one until admitted students day. here's the link - GroupMe
Tried to DM you but doesn't seem like I can. Might be a good idea if you remove this link so it's not publically available and just confined to the facebook page.

Anyone know if Duke is willing to cover the cost of Second Look expenses for low-income accepted students?

Tried to DM you but doesn't seem like I can. Might be a good idea if you remove this link so it's not publically available and just confined to the facebook page.
yea i just deleted the groupme... this is why i had the request to join option 😭

Anyone know if Duke is willing to cover the cost of Second Look expenses for low-income accepted students?
Naaaaa :( but apparently once you’re there they will cover food and travel within Duke on the days you’re there.

• Sad
Naaaaa :( but apparently once you’re there they will cover food and travel within Duke on the days you’re there.
Thanks for the information! Nice they are willing to cover something, just wish it was something bigger like the traveling to and from the medical school, or lodging :cryi: Time to save some money

• Care
How do the financial aid offerings work? Do they provide us with our whole package aka merit scholarship AND need based scholarship at the same time?

I believe the need based aid package is provided in mid-late March (loan amount will only be an est. bc of FAFSA delays and will be finalized once they get our FAFSAs) and that merit aid (entirely determined by the admissions committee) will be announced sometime after SLW.

They offer office hours with people from the financial aid office that are really helpful for more specific questions!

Any current Duke students who've received a merit scholarship willing to share stats? Not expecting to get one just curious what sort of stats gets a student merit aid at a school with very high median stats. Thanks!

Any current Duke students who've received a merit scholarship willing to share stats? Not expecting to get one just curious what sort of stats gets a student merit aid at a school with very high median stats. Thanks!
I highly doubt it's stats that matter at this point for those scholarships

Can someone post the 2024 Duke Match list? Can't find it.