2023-2024 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unless they give it to us during second look, I believe Duke keeps the particulars close hold. Here’s the general match data: Duke Medical Students Celebrate Match Day 2024

I tried to find the 2023 match data that was in the interview drop box, but it looks like we no longer have access to that folder.

Members don't see this ad.

Second look is not required, right? Additionally, anyone know if going to second look has an effect on the probability of attaining a merit scholarship? Sadly cannot go anymore due to financial reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Second look is not required, right? Additionally, anyone know if going to second look has an effect on the probability of attaining a merit scholarship? Sadly cannot go anymore due to financial reasons.
Also wondering this, as I can't make it to SLW but I'm visiting the next weekend. My neuroticism doesn't love that merit scholarships won't be given until after SLW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also wondering this, as I can't make it to SLW but I'm visiting the next weekend. My neuroticism doesn't love that merit scholarships won't be given until after SLW.
Haha exactly how I feel. I’m trying to reason with logic with the fact that there are many viable reasons an applicant can’t attend that shouldn’t be a reason for not obtaining a merit scholarship, like financial reasons, prior serious commitments, or working during SLW.

Haha exactly how I feel. I’m trying to reason with logic with the fact that there are many viable reasons an applicant can’t attend that shouldn’t be a reason for not obtaining a merit scholarship, like financial reasons, prior serious commitments, or working during SLW.
Let's all send a group email (I'm nervous too)

Any current Duke students who've received a merit scholarship willing to share stats? Not expecting to get one just curious what sort of stats gets a student merit aid at a school with very high median stats. Thanks!
Late response, but am current Duke student who got a merit scholarship - will confirm that it is not just stats that matter for these scholarships, that's not how it works these days. Each school probably gives differing weight to different factors but stats are just one part of the whole picture. Duke's admissions committee meets to discuss and they give out decisions starting in mid-April. At least via my anecdotal experience last year, of the people I knew of who discussed their merit offer with me, there were def a range of stats.

Late response, but am current Duke student who got a merit scholarship - will confirm that it is not just stats that matter for these scholarships, that's not how it works these days. Each school probably gives differing weight to different factors but stats are just one part of the whole picture. Duke's admissions committee meets to discuss and they give out decisions starting in mid-April. At least via my anecdotal experience last year, of the people I knew of who discussed their merit offer with me, there were def a range of stats.
I know on their website they mention diversity and experiences as being a part of the decision making process, do you feel that was reflected or do you think it's more EC/achievement based?

I know on their website they mention diversity and experiences as being a part of the decision making process, do you feel that was reflected or do you think it's more EC/achievement based?
Yes I do feel that is part of the decision making process as Duke has a very holistic philosophy and in my opinion they definitely stand by their ideals in practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how many merit scholarships Duke gives out?

Hi... I'm currently on the waitlist and I'm trying to figure out which waitlist school to send me letter of intent to. I LOVE duke but it's just really far from my family, which is really important to me. Are there any current medical students from the midwest at Duke now that would be willing to talk to me? or just anyone whose family/primary support system is far away (more than driving distance, i.e. 6+ hours) who would be willing to talk to me about their experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Confirmed a few specific questions about Duke's grading with a few M4s, if anyone else was curious. Duke is 100% P/F across pre-clerkships and clerkships. There is no AOA, no secret internal ranking, and no coded language ranking proxy in the MSPE letter. Students are also able to see/edit their MSPE letter before ERAS submission and write a good portion of the narrative.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi... I'm currently on the waitlist and I'm trying to figure out which waitlist school to send me letter of intent to. I LOVE duke but it's just really far from my family, which is really important to me. Are there any current medical students from the midwest at Duke now that would be willing to talk to me? or just anyone whose family/primary support system is far away (more than driving distance, i.e. 6+ hours) who would be willing to talk to me about their experience?

Yeah if anyone has more info it’ll be helpful

Confirmed a few specific questions about Duke's grading with a few M4s, if anyone else was curious. Duke is 100% P/F across pre-clerkships and clerkships. There is no AOA, no secret internal ranking, and no coded language ranking proxy in the MSPE letter. Students are also able to see/edit their MSPE letter before ERAS submission and write a good portion of the narrative.

The exception to this is that MS4 sub-I’s are graded on an honors/ high pass/ pass / fail system.

The exception to this is that MS4 sub-I’s are graded on an honors/ high pass/ pass / fail system.
+1 yeah forgot to mention this. A few people did tell me that ERAS submission is after you do the bulk of Duke's sub-Is/electives in M4.

To those who went to second look how did you like it or if you didn’t what was the reason?
I enjoyed second look. Current students said they had more free time than expected given pre-clinical is condensed; true P/F helps a lot. ~1/3 of students choose to do an extra third year which is tuition-free. I come from a huge city and was surprisingly pleased with Durham. Facilities (Trent Semans med ed building, hospitals, gothic campus, botanical garden) were beautiful.

I enjoyed second look. Current students said they had more free time than expected given pre-clinical is condensed; true P/F helps a lot. ~1/3 of students choose to do an extra third year which is tuition-free. I come from a huge city and was surprisingly pleased with Durham. Facilities (Trent Semans med ed building, hospitals, gothic campus, botanical garden) were beautiful.

Thanks for the feedback!

Did they mention at all during SLW if aid is supposed to come out this week? April 15 is creeping up...

I am a current MS3 and this is all confirmed true. It truly is P/F across all years- generally meaning that Step 2, letters of rec, research, connections built at Duke, etc have higher weight when applying which has pros/cons.

I am a current MS3 and this is all confirmed true. It truly is P/F across all years- generally meaning that Step 2, letters of rec, research, connections built at Duke, etc have higher weight when applying which has pros/cons.
I'm not an accepted Duke student but wanted to ask you what you think are the pros/cons of P/F for all years. I get that it's hard for residency directors to see how well you do compared to your classmates if there isn't honors or AOA, but can that really harm someone when that's just how their school does things?

Have they shared anything about waitlist movement yet/Can any current students speak to it at all? Thanks in advance.

It will great if anyone post the amount of people in the accepted groupme and Facebook??

Was gonna ask the same does anyone know if people have left the group chats since April 15th has passed and if so how many? Trynna gauge how many people has still kept Duke as their option after the 15th
A few have left

When does majority of WL movement happen

Based on previous threads, WL acceptances start days after the April 30th deadline. They could be reviewing WL candidates in the next two weeks because I doubt they meet the day after the deadline and decide wait-list acceptances right then and there.

I withdrew from Duke, hope one of you awesome people get it :)!

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Anyone on Duke waitlist that is also feeling anxious? Lol

Yes, especially because I sent a letter of intent more than a month ago, but at the same time after going to 2nd look at other places, I feel less anxious about potentially not getting off the waitlist.

It feels weird to me now to be stressed about getting off the waitlist at a school that didn't choose me as their first choice (even if they are my dream school).

Last edited:
Yes, especially because I sent a letter of intent more than a month ago, but at the same time after going to 2nd look at other places, I feel less anxious about potentially not getting off the waitlist.

It feels weird to me now to be stressed about getting off the waitlist at a school that didn't choose me as their first choice (even if they are my dream school); It feels like I am ungrateful for the schools that did.

I know exactly how you feel! That’s literally what I’ve been struggling with as well. Since just being accepted to a medical school is such an amazing achievement but to have choices of which one to enroll is really a blessing that I shouldn’t take for granted. It’s how you said tho it’s our dream medical school so it’s kinda hard to find the balance. Hopefully we’ll both matriculate :)

I know exactly how you feel! That’s literally what I’ve been struggling with as well. Since just being accepted to a medical school is such an amazing achievement but to have choices of which one to enroll is really a blessing that I shouldn’t take for granted. It’s how you said tho it’s our dream medical school so it’s kinda hard to find the balance. Hopefully we’ll both matriculate :)

I was debating sending an recent award update but doing so now makes me feel like I am ungrateful for the schools that did choose me during the first round. While I am grateful for being waitlisted instead of straight up rejected, being somebody's 'alternate' is not a great feeling, like being asked out by your crush because their first choice turned them down.

Edit: Forgot to say that I hope you too get off the waitlist!

Last edited:
  • Care
I was debating sending an recent award update but doing so now makes me feel like I am ungrateful for the schools that did choose me during the first round. While I am grateful for being waitlisted instead of straight up rejected, being somebody's 'alternate' is not a great feeling, like being asked out by your crush because their first choice turned them down.

That last part is so real

• Care

if you get the A call i think that feeling will dissipate pretty quickly. whether or not you got in immediately or off the waitlist, everyone ended up at that program regardless. one matriculant is not more valid than the other.

if you get the A call i think that feeling will dissipate pretty quickly. whether or not you got in immediately or off the waitlist, everyone ended up at that program regardless. one matriculant is not more valid than the other.

I hope the feeling goes away but, continuing with the analogy, being your crush's second choice comes with the fear that your (former) backup status will manifest subconsciously in your interactions/relationship.

I hope the feeling goes away but, continuing with the analogy, being your crush's second choice comes with the fear that your (former) backup status will manifest subconsciously in your interactions/relationship.
you’re valid but you deserve to be kind to yourself. just even getting to this point is a huge achievement and im proud of you even if you can’t be for yourself right this second.

and at the end of the day everyone’s degree will say Duke Med. there will be no fine print saying “waitlist lol”

• Haha