You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Duke
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
it’s completely optional, no problem at all if you are unable to attend!I know they say that the coffee event the night before is 'encouraged', but does anybody know if it would it be okay if I missed it?
Thanks for the clarification! Sorry for the (possibly silly) questions, but there somebody I should notify about not being able to attend? I didn't see anything about that in the recent mailing with the location.it’s completely optional, no problem at all if you are unable to attend!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted972488
I don’t think it matters. For my interview social, they didn’t take attendance or anything and with all the applicants and current students, there were a lot of people there. Nobody would have known or cared if I hadn’t shown up.Thanks for the clarification! Sorry for the (possibly silly) questions, but there somebody I should notify about not being able to attend? I didn't see anything about that in the recent mailing with the location.
9
907914
Do you think it helped you to know names and faces the next day though?I don’t think it matters. For my interview social, they didn’t take attendance or anything and with all the applicants and current students, there were a lot of people there. Nobody would have known or cared if I hadn’t shown up.
D
deleted972488
In my interview performance? No. In my overall comfort? Maybe. But I don’t think it’s a big deal either way.Do you think it helped you to know names and faces the next day though?
The pre interview dinners exist mostly for you to familiarize yourself with school, meet students to gauze if you fit in there, make some friends you can ping later, and get any questions out of the way that you dont want to ask during the interviews. Essentially it is more for you than the school.In my interview performance? No. In my overall comfort? Maybe. But I don’t think it’s a big deal either way.
No need to let anyone know. The above posts are correct, it really is meant to be an informal space for you to ask questions, etc.Thanks for the clarification! Sorry for the (possibly silly) questions, but there somebody I should notify about not being able to attend? I didn't see anything about that in the recent mailing with the location.
I would venture to guess that probably 3/4ths of interviewees end up attending the pre-interview social. No real data here, just based upon my observations of attending the social.
OK is anyone else with an II coming up getting emails for like 3 different pre-interview dinners going on?
Only coffee for me. Somebody's popular xP are you Monday?
Oooh do they tell you the restaurants? You can choose purely based on how good your meal will be.OK is anyone else with an II coming up getting emails for like 3 different pre-interview dinners going on?
D
deleted972488
Yes consult me tooOooh do they tell you the restaurants? You can choose purely based on how good your meal will be.
I'm Monday my guy! I got a pre-interview dinner for the general social, and then two diff diversity groups lol. But I only identify with one of the diversity groups??Only coffee for me. Somebody's popular xP are you Monday?
Cool, I might get to meet the almighty 25-II raptor.I'm Monday my guy! I got a pre-interview dinner for the general social, and then two diff diversity groups lol. But I only identify with one of the diversity groups??
9
907914
Maybe they naturally view you as an ally. E’r-body want a bite o’dat raptor bootyBut I only identify with one of the diversity groups??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oooh do they tell you the restaurants? You can choose purely based on how good your meal will be.
Two haven't picked a restaurant yet, but the normal one is I think at Cocoa cinammon?Yes consult me too
And I could meet the almighty enterococcus!Cool, I might get to meet the almighty 25-II raptor.
Cocoa Cinnamon is just a coffee shop. But its a cute af coffee shop, definitely go there!!Two haven't picked a restaurant yet, but the normal one is I think at Cocoa cinammon?
("just" as in probably not for an extensive meal)
Ahhh I see so that's the coffee social. Better let the Latino one I can come to the dinner then 😍Cocoa Cinnamon is just a coffee shop. But its a cute af coffee shop, definitely go there!!
("just" as in probably not for an extensive meal)
Solid choice. Casual dining peruvian chicken. Get the dark meat and yuca fries and the green sauuuuce.Ok so I figured it out. The diversity dinner is at alpaca, and it's hosted by both the SMNA and LMSA, but I got like five emails that made it incredibly confusing lol
I love sauce lmaoSolid choice. Casual dining peruvian chicken. Get the dark meat and yuca fries and the green sauuuuce.
May I ask what yours says?Mine, meme
Yup! Just to clear things up, we usually host two events before Interview day! One is a dinner hosted by students from SNMA and LMSA. The other is the Cocoa Cinnamon/Parlor pre-interview social for all interviewees. The dinner is hosted directly before the Cocoa Cinnamon/Parlor social so don't feel like you have to choose between one or the other, you can do both! But again, neither is mandatory, just a chance to calm some nerves and meet students/other interviewees.
Just submitted this secondary late. What a painful experience that was, but I told myself that I would get it done in the end, so I'm happy even though I'm late. Hopefully the fact that not that many people end up submitting this secondary helps offset me being late af. We'll see.
You did it!Just submitted this secondary late. What a painful experience that was, but I told myself that I would get it done in the end, so I'm happy even though I'm late. Hopefully the fact that not that many people end up submitting this secondary helps offset me being late af. We'll see.
Mine says “Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee.”May I ask what yours says?
9
907914
Welcome to the pile of “in review” friend. Our trenches are deep, the field is scattered with bodies, but we hold the border.Just submitted this secondary late. What a painful experience that was, but I told myself that I would get it done in the end, so I'm happy even though I'm late. Hopefully the fact that not that many people end up submitting this secondary helps offset me being late af. We'll see.
9
907914
Oh, yah that is what all of ours says. You are still fine.Mine says “Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee.”
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Truly... and on my Duke interview day as well xDAnother day, another heart attack courtesy of Duke-NUS.
LmfaoAnother day, another heart attack courtesy of Duke-NUS.
D
deleted910929
Do you guys think it’s worth sending my secondary at this point if I have a low MCAT for the school? I’ve received the secondary in July
9
907914
Was this a humblebrag? I think this was a humblebragTruly... and on my Duke interview day as well xD
Do you guys think it’s worth sending my secondary at this point if I have a low MCAT for the school? I’ve received the secondary in July
I submitted mine yesterday! Duke has a smaller pool of complete applicants because of how killer their secondary is, so depending on how fast you can turn around the essays, I’d say go and submit. I think earlier this month they had only received 3000 secondaries at that point, which really isn’t a lot.
D
deleted910929
Thanks! That gives me some hope 🙂I submitted mine yesterday! Duke has a smaller pool of complete applicants because of how killer their secondary is, so depending on how fast you can turn around the essays, I’d say go and submit. I think earlier this month they had only received 3000 secondaries at that point, which really isn’t a lot.
@mamj : Congrats! Do you remember which date was available?
On Monday, that number (and/or percentage of all primaries received) increased, but I can't remember what he said. He definitely poked fun at how much writing they make us do.I submitted mine yesterday! Duke has a smaller pool of complete applicants because of how killer their secondary is, so depending on how fast you can turn around the essays, I’d say go and submit. I think earlier this month they had only received 3000 secondaries at that point, which really isn’t a lot.
October 24th! And thank you!! It was my best application by far.@mamj : Congrats! Do you remember which date was available?
On Monday, that number (and/or percentage of all primaries received) increased, but I can't remember what he said. He definitely poked fun at how much writing they make us do.
I believe he said something like ~3700 complete apps at this point.
9
907914
How many interviews sent? As a percentage? Did they say?I believe he said something like ~3700 complete apps at this point.
Each day is 24 interviewees, and they interview twice a week.How many interviews sent? As a percentage? Did they say?
9
907914
50 a week...so they have already interviewed close to 150/200 and have likely sent out twice that...so we still have a couple hundred left.Each day is 24 interviewees, and they interview twice a week.
does anyone have experience sending Duke an ITA? can't seem to find info on it in the previous ITA threads
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted one today.are people still submitting secondaries here?
And speaking of secondaries, this is the first one that says, “Your supplemental application still need attention. We are currently waiting for your letters of recommendation to arrive from AMCAS.” My LoRs have been at AMCAS for awhile and all the other secondaries showed them in immediately. Does Duke’s system take a bit to update or is this cause for concern?are people still submitting secondaries here?
does applying to PCLT mean you are only applying PCLT or are you also applying for regular MD?
I asked admissions a while back and they said that if you apply PCLT, you will first be considered by the PCLT and if they don't offer an II, you will then be considered by the regular MD committee.does applying to PCLT mean you are only applying PCLT or are you also applying for regular MD?
Yep! I am finishing mine up tonight or tomorrow.are people still submitting secondaries here?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K